co-witnessing

PDA

lloveless
February 3, 2011, 12:19 PM
Hi,
I have never heard/seen this term used with guns before, and today I have read it on two posts. What is it?
ll

If you enjoyed reading about "co-witnessing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ithaca37
February 3, 2011, 12:27 PM
It is when your iron sights are able to be used through an optic such as an eotech or aimpoint. Like in the picture below. This way if the optic goes down, you can transition to irons without having to remove the optic.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/rct442/t1cowitness03.jpg

EdLaver
February 3, 2011, 12:28 PM
Co-Witnessing is when you have a red dot optic sight, ie an Aimpoint or Eotech and you have back up iron sights aligned through the optic with the red dot off. In case of your main optic being damaged or loss of battery power you can flip up your backup sights and see them with the optic still installed on the reciever.

Skylerbone
February 3, 2011, 03:32 PM
There are variations as well with Ithaca's being an absolute co-witness (dot aligned with BUIS). That's Back Up Iron Sights in case you run into that one too.

If you enjoyed reading about "co-witnessing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!