M1Garand

PDA

David Vaught
February 3, 2011, 04:04 PM
Just picked up 9 M1s. They were used in color guard. Stocks have been coated with some high gloss material. Can these b stripped and brought back to collecter quality or am i better off to leave them as they are. Going to take all appart and c that all pieces are period correct. Bought guage tools to check bores.Plan is to keep one for me and my son and prob cell the rest. Born on dates run from 1942 to 1957.If anyone wants more info would love to tell u about them. thanks Dave!

If you enjoyed reading about "M1Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1KPerDay
February 3, 2011, 04:26 PM
Yeah, tell us about them. And post pics.

Have they been modified to shoot blanks? Have the barrels/chambers been welded?

GCBurner
February 3, 2011, 04:35 PM
If they were used for parades, they are probably drill rifles that have been deactivated. The CMP sells these, too, for $345, with the following description:
Fits the description of our Rack Grade with the additions of: gas cylinder lock screw is welded to lock and gas cylinder, barrel is drilled, plugged and welded at chamber mouth. Barrel is welded to the receiver, firing pin hole is welded closed on bolt face. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, poor fit, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. Wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety

dfariswheel
February 3, 2011, 09:29 PM
One thing you may need to be careful about.
The old Director of Civilian Marksmanship and the current Civilian Marksmanship Program issued government M1 rifles to color guards and organizations like the American Legion for use in military funerals.
The rifles remain the property of the US government and were to be turned back in when they were no longer needed, or the unit disbanded or went out of business.

Over the years, the people in the organization may have forgot this, and people have sold the rifles, not knowing that they were not allowed to do this.
I don't know what your situation with these rifles is, but if they're in firing condition, you'd be advised to make sure you know the provenance of them and exactly who actually owned them. They could still be government property.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!