CZ 452 Lux

PDA

Boberama
February 3, 2011, 05:57 PM
What do you guys think of this rifle in 22LR?
http://www.alammod.com/vb/imgcache2/4133.gif

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ 452 Lux" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmr40
February 3, 2011, 06:35 PM
I have a 452 American. The bolt was stiff and gritty to operate when new, but it has smoothed out after years of use.

The trigger is heavy, gritty and full of creep, but it still shoots dime sized groups or better at 50 yards. The wood and exterior metal finish is very good.

They look good on the outside, but they do a crude job of finishing the parts of the gun left unseen, but for the money I'd buy another if I needed one.

d2wing
February 3, 2011, 07:32 PM
Got one, love it, most accurate sporter 22lr I've ever shot. Good sights.

The Lone Haranguer
February 3, 2011, 07:38 PM
I owned a Training Rifle (essentially the same gun but with a beech stock). It could shoot the whisker off a gnat. :D The iron sights are the best I've ever tried. The only reason I put a scope on it was to see the target better. The trigger did have a lot of takeup, and the safety is counterintuitive, having to pull it back to disengage it.

Cosmoline
February 3, 2011, 07:54 PM
Got mine over a decade ago and it's seen a lot of use. It has phenomenal accuracy for a rimfire, great reliability, and handles more like a mini-Mauser than a standard rimfire rifle. I've used it extensively for small game hunting with excellent results. It's a death laser for squirrel.

I prefer the traditional lux model over the American. The American gets rid of the iron sights, which to my mind is nuts. The irons are NOT the typical cheapo bent piece of sheet metal you find on most rimfires, but elegant and calibrated tangent sights that permit you to change your zero to compensate for the .22LR's drop.

viking499
February 3, 2011, 08:11 PM
Got two in my safe. Extremely accurate. I think that they have the best factory open sights on the market. Buy one, you will love it.

lonestardiver
February 3, 2011, 10:20 PM
I've got it in 22WMR...
Great Rifle.....

GambJoe
February 3, 2011, 11:51 PM
CZ 452 Lux 22LR. Very accurate. Like the iron sights (don't know how many manufaturer's use them any more). Has euro style stock making it difficult for me to use a scope on it. I'd go with the Americain if you use a scope all the time.

No regrets with this purchase.

HOOfan_1
February 4, 2011, 12:09 AM
Got my dad an Ultra-Lux. It has a longer barrel, beechwood stock and a cheek piece, otherwise it is just like the Lux. Best .22 I've ever shot

Sun195
February 4, 2011, 12:52 AM
One of my favorite guns - probably one of the last I'd part with.

CB900F
February 4, 2011, 11:36 AM
Fella's;

I'm a CZ-aholic. If you want an inexpensive & very effective way to correct the trigger pull weight & creep issues, order a YoDave kit. They cost under $20.00, are available on either e-bay (I think), or the Rimfire Central site for sure.

I have a Lux, one with the bolt on the proper side of the action, thenkewveddymuch, a situation that pertains to all my CZ's. In fact, I got into the CZ rimfires because they offer left hand bolt .22's. Once I had the first one, hoo-boy, there's so much more than just the ergonomics for me.

Buy a 452 if you can, that series is being terminated & replaced by the 455 model. The barrel of the 455 is a slip-in, a-la Ruger, and the excellent iron sights are history. But buy whatever model you can, I strongly doubt you'll be disappointed.

900F

ROAshooter
February 4, 2011, 12:05 PM
I have been selling my Ruger rifles...to buy CZ rifles......452FS...452 Varmint...527FS 223....had a 452 Trainer....looks like the Lux...just beech wood instead of walnut...but gf claims its hers...

RockyMtnTactical
February 4, 2011, 01:12 PM
I have a CZ 452 scout and it is excellent. I want to get something bigger for me...

DM~
February 4, 2011, 01:37 PM

I don't like the "hog back" stock style on any firearm... I like the "American" style much better.

DM

Blakenzy
February 4, 2011, 05:40 PM
CZ 452 Lux
I own one... it is an un-regrettable purchase. Feels like a "real" centerfire rifle but scaled down to .22 dimensions. Very accurate. Excellent iron sights. Trigger is adjustable for weight, it may be a little creepy but not too bad on mine, this is easily corrected by buying one of the inexpensive ($15-20), easy to install CZ trigger kits out there. If you absolutely must have a scope on all your guns perhaps the 452 "American" or "Varmint" variants will be more suitable.

If you enjoy shooting with open sights this is the .22LR to buy.

Onmilo
February 4, 2011, 09:03 PM
I like it.

browneu
February 4, 2011, 09:21 PM
I have both the american and the lux. They are great rifles and are fairly accurate. The bolts are a little gritty but its easy enough to lap them. Now they are smooth as glass.

It's a purchase you won't regret.

trigga
February 4, 2011, 11:02 PM
ill like it more if it has a feed ramp

earlthegoat2
February 4, 2011, 11:18 PM
Id get the FS.

That one reeks of class.

CraigC
February 5, 2011, 12:34 AM
They're great rifles for the money. My 452FS model .22LR shoots into a half inch at 50yds with Remington bulk. A tenth better with Wolf MT.
http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/rifles/large/IMG_7817b.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/rifles/large/IMG_7828b.jpg

earlthegoat2
February 5, 2011, 12:53 AM
Ahhhh,

I see CraigC took my advice......or maybe his own.:what:

CraigC
February 5, 2011, 02:08 AM
Found that little gem on the used gun rack a couple weeks before Christmas. Swapped for it lickety split. It has been full of wonderful surprises! :D

CH47gunner
February 5, 2011, 03:54 AM
"What do you guys think of this rifle in 22LR?"

Why I liked it so much I went out and bought one, a Special that is. Not really - I've had my Special for a couple of years now.
I believe your Lux has the Turkish Walnut while my Special is Birch. Mine's a great little field rifle.
You're gonna like it.

Bruce

CZ452 Special .22lr w/ Simmons 22Mag 3-9x32

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/ch47gunner/P8070025.jpg

FLNT4EVR
February 5, 2011, 08:38 AM
If you found one., don't pass it up.The 452's are being discontinued,and their accuracy is becoming legendary. You'll never regret your purchase,and it's one rifle that you will be abel to get your money back if you ever decide to sell it. I doubt that will ever happen,in fact you will be hooked by CZ'S and looking for more.

gdesloge
February 5, 2011, 09:46 AM
This rifle seems to be a big seller among CZ aficionados:

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-pink-scout/

It has the same action as all the 452s and is reputed to be extremely accurate.

The stock is actually wood (not synthetic) and is easily repainted.

gd

cthulhufan
February 5, 2011, 11:43 AM
To the OP,

I own a 452 Lux, it is my favorite rifle. I put a set of Leupold mounts on it that allow me to use the iron sights (majority of my shooting) but gives me the benefit of a scope when I need it. You only really get a 'jaw weld' when using the scope but it is completely serviceable.

Excellent rifle. Mine likes to eat CCI Standard Velocity and Wolf Match/Extra. Federal bulk is surprisingly accurate too. If you live in town, CCI CB longs are just a hair louder than a break barrel ~1000 FPS .177 Pellet gun. Many dead tree rats with those and not an eyebrow raised in the neighborhood.

Have fun, and good luck, they have discontinued the 452 Lux and none of the new rifles have that gorgeous forestock with the flare like that. I regret not buying two.

Furncliff
February 5, 2011, 12:53 PM
I been shooting a 1940's Brno #1 for the last nine months. It might be described as the CZ 452's predecessor. Had so much fun shooting it I recently bought a 452 FS .17HMR. Hope it gets here soon. Love the accuracy.

viking499
February 5, 2011, 01:52 PM
I own a 452 Lux, it is my favorite rifle. I put a set of Leupold mounts on it that allow me to use the iron sights (majority of my shooting) but gives me the benefit of a scope when I need it. You only really get a 'jaw weld' when using the scope but it is completely serviceable.

One of mine is set up this way also. The other only wears the open sights.

The majority of the 4-H shooters around here use the CZ Lux.

CB900F
February 5, 2011, 02:06 PM
Fella's;

The pink scout is an elusive value. Bud's will bounce them back & forth from retail to $208.00 apparently at whim. With free shipping though. However, there are some things you should be aware of before rushing to order an example.
1. It's a single shot.
2. It's a wood stock under the pink paint & can be refinished.
3. It does not have the good iron sights.
But, at $208 with free shipping, it's a deal. Only available (upon occasion) at Bud's Gun Shop as far as I know.

900F

cal74
February 5, 2011, 02:32 PM
It's a single shot

I comes with a single shot adapter, it is NOT a single shot though. You can use any other 452 clip in it without any problems.

gdesloge
February 5, 2011, 02:37 PM
"You can use any other 452 magazine in it without any problems."

Now this is a true statement.

gd

toivo
February 5, 2011, 02:54 PM
I have the Trainer too--the birch rather than walnut version. I have the Eric Brooks kit on mine: since Mr. Brooks seems to have gone MIA, the YoDave kit has taken its place. AFAIK, the YoDave kit is exactly the same thing: a selection of springs and sleeve-type shims that will allow you to dial in the pull weight and minimize creep. Mine is just under a pound now, with a crisp break.

As mentioned, the iron sights are excellent, but if you want something "more excellent," Williams makes a dedicated rear peep for this model. You can get them from Midway or direct from CZ themselves for less money:

http://shop.cz-usa.com/P-19012/452-Adj-Peep-Sight-W-Target-Knobs.aspx

(NOTE: This is a very low-profile sight, so it will work with the stock front sight. However, you will have to remove the stock rear sight because it gets in your sightline. There's a bit of a trick to it, and here's a hint: you don't have to drive out the pin.)

I have a bunch of .22 rifles, and the CZ is in the top three of my favorites.

CB900F
February 5, 2011, 05:05 PM
Fella's;

Far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't come with a magazine and you're gonna pay something near $30.00 to obtain a magazine, and you can only put one round in it at a time as the gun is configured when it arrives, it's a single shot.

But, as the nit-picker crew pointed out, it can be changed if you want to pay the price.

900F

cthulhufan
February 5, 2011, 05:40 PM
The majority of the 4-H shooters around here use the CZ Lux.

That's interesting, I hadn't considered that 4-H would include shooting. I need to get involved in that if for nothing else than to benefit my daughter and her friends.

Ky Larry
February 5, 2011, 10:42 PM
I have a Lux, an Ultra Lux, and just picked up a new 452 Varmint yesterday. All are in .22lr. Also got a set of Millet rings and a new Nikon 6-18X40 Buckmaster scope for it. Have a YoDave trigger kit and an enhanced striker spring waiting to be installed in the morning and then it's off to the range. You will like any CZ rimfire. They are all shooters.

stanmo
February 6, 2011, 07:37 AM
I love my Trainer model, doesn't feel like a toy as most .22's do. I think I need one of those full stock models.

kraigwy
February 6, 2011, 12:37 PM
The CMP GSM Master Instructor Course also covers Rim fire Sports as well and vintage military rifles. Most of my 22s are of the target version and I didn't have a rifle suitable for the Rim fire Sports Matches.

I don't know if you know about the MI Course but to get accepted you have to show a background in Coaching Rifle shooting. Either High Power or Small Bore.

When I attended the CMP GSM MI course there were several attendees that were heavily involved in the Rimfire Sporting Rifles. I inquired what would be the better rifle if one was to get involved in CMP RF Sports. Without exception the number one rifle recommended was the CZ452.

When I got home I got one. I got the CZ 452 Military Trainer, figuring it would be better suited or practice and training in Vintage Military Rifle Shooting.

To say I was impressed would be an understatement. The 452 is a well made, smooth, extremely accurate rifle. I would compare it with the Anchutz (except for the weight which helps in small bore shooting).

Being a light rifle I have to work harder in off hand then I do with my Anchutz 1807 or H&R 5200, but that's to be expected and would be common with any light rifle.

dugasgunner
February 6, 2011, 09:00 PM
It's my all-time favorite. IMHO it's simply beautiful:eek: The second one is Lux in WMR and third Z-5 in LR. Cheers.

Gator 23
February 11, 2011, 10:13 PM
Just ordered a CZ452 Lux southpaw from Bud's today. Very excited about it given the discussion here and the fact that it's being discontinued. Also bought my daughter a CZ452 Scout a couple years ago...a neat youth rifle that wisely included the single shot training "magazine" that has since been replaced with a 5 round version. I think a ten round magazine is available too.

Dulvarian
February 13, 2011, 07:59 PM
Do they make a left handed scout? I am thinking about getting one for my son for his ninth birthday. Of course, that means I have to get 2 right handed ones for my daughters for theirs. :cool:

I love my 452 American.

browneu
February 13, 2011, 08:26 PM
I think the Scout comes only in the right handed configuration.

gc70
February 13, 2011, 09:42 PM
Per the CZ website (http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-lux/): "Discontinued - The 452 Lux has been replaced by the 455 Lux"

HOOfan_1
February 13, 2011, 11:12 PM
Yeah, but there are still gunshops with stock.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ 452 Lux" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!