please somebody help me fill this 360 hole

PDA

snub
February 3, 2011, 08:18 PM
this is how it came from Smith and wesson
1) DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE ONE LIKE THIS?
2) how can I fill it or put a lanyard into it?
3) pics would be helpful
thanks snub

If you enjoyed reading about "please somebody help me fill this 360 hole" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JWF III
February 4, 2011, 07:59 AM
I can't tell from the pick... does your 360 not have the recease and pin, on the back of the grip, for a lanyard? Mine does, but it looks like yours might not have it.

What is the hole's diameter? Is it small enough that a sling swivel stud could fit it? (After threading the hole, of course. You asked about a lanyard. A stud could make an easy, removable, lanyard ring mount.) But a swivel, or even the stud, might become a problem on such a small grip.

You could always thread the hole, and fill it with a set screw of appropriate size.

Here's a question for the experts... How well does the Scandium/Aluminum alloy, that S&W uses, accept threads? The other question... Why did S&W put that hole there?

Wyman

WC145
February 4, 2011, 11:28 AM
My 360J (same gun as yours only in .38spl) has the same hole, I never thought anything of it about it. But, since you brought it up I just took off my grips to look a it and it is for a lanyard loop. to install the lanyard loop you would remove the roll pin that goes crossways through the hole (and holds your grips in position) insert the base of the lanyard loop into the hole and drive the roll pin back in. The base of the lanyard loop has a notch in it to accomodate the roll pin, that keeps it from falling out. Since I don't have a lanyard loop on my gun the hole is just a good place for dust to get in.

There, now you know. Nothing to worry about.

snub
February 4, 2011, 12:09 PM
WC145 your exactly right. Thank you! It was driving me crazy.
snub

BCRider
February 4, 2011, 01:12 PM
The pin would make it an ideal way to mount a filler plug as well. Get a metal or black plastic plug that fits, cross drill it to accept the pin and install it much like the description of the install of the lanyard loop.

You'll need to measure the hole size and then wander around looking for something to fit. If you get something a little long you can file or sand it down using a drill press or hand drill as an impromptu lathe. Of course if you know someone with a lathe....

JWF III
February 4, 2011, 04:46 PM
Are these the newer models that have this hole?

Mine is a '08 model, it has the milled out area on the back of the grip. I'm guessing S&W decided it's easier (cheaper) to drill a hole rather than mill out a small section. As far as I'm concerned, both are useless dust collectors.

Wyman

snub
February 4, 2011, 07:15 PM
Nope. Found out today it's a short run of smith guns meant for china or japan. I guess they had a lanyard set up for them. All this research has me wondering maybe a lanyard. Would be pretty cool. I always worry about the gun dislodging fro
my holster. Might be nice to have that extra sense of protection against loss or damage.

If you enjoyed reading about "please somebody help me fill this 360 hole" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!