My Taurus 941 and their less than enthusiactic customer service...

PDA

WifeofBleys
February 4, 2011, 04:24 PM
Hi, everybody...

I have owned a Taurus firearm in the past, but I never fired it, so it never needed repairs. (long story, I was made to carry it by an ex, though I never wanted it and therefore never fired it.) Anyway, fast forward to the present. I now have a Taurus model 941, .22 magnum revolver. And though I love the gun, it has been giving me trouble.

Several weeks ago, I was finally able to shoot it for the first time. I experienced jamming with a certain brand of ammo. When we got home that day, I called the gun shop where we purchased the gun and they said to try some other ammo next time we go out shooting but if it happened again, the gun may need some kind of repair.

Next time we went out shooting, we tried two other brands of ammo (CCI and Remington) and they performed without fault. We then tried the first brand that originally jammed on us and it did jam again in short order... so, we thought it was the ammo.

Went shooting a few days ago and one of the other two brands that worked flawlessly before (CCI) jammed on me.....

I just got off the phone with Taurus. I am not very happy at the moment, as their customer service is less than stellar. The rep. I spoke to suggested that I send the gun back for repairs, at my expense ($100 via UPS next day air, something that I cannot afford nor do I think I should have to pay for as it is a Taurus issue causing my problem). This person was less than helpful, she did not have a note of friendliness in her voice. She would not even provide the shipping address, only stating that it could be found in the back of the manual for the firearm. I was told there would be a 2-3 week turn-around time.

After ending the call, I realized that I should have asked a couple more questions.. One being if Taurus recommends a certain ammo for the gun and if something could be worked out regarding the shipping of the firearm back to them. So, I called back... and still, I spoke to a different person and she was just as droll and unfriendly as the first. I was told that they "only recommend factory ammo" (Ummmm...you can't reload a rimfire) and that we would be responsible for shipping the gun to them and there was nothing they could do about it. They would pay for the return shipping but we would be totally responsible for getting the firearm back to them.

It is quite obvious what the problem is...the ammo does not sit flush in the chambers. I have received information from a very helpful ammo manufacturer (of the original ammo I used that jammed continually) that, after doing some research, he noted that my firearm does not have a "rebated chamber". He said most others he researched did have it and he was not sure why Taurus did not also. Well, when I mentioned this to the first rep I spoke with at Taurus, I was told that the customer service rep at the ammo manufacturer had no right to comment on the situation, as he did not know for certain what the issue was. Well, I for one, would like to place some value on his assessment. He has been very helpful during this whole situation...Much more than I can say for the Taurus representatives.

I do not want to send my gun off for 2-3 weeks. I think, before I do, I would like to try some more Remington ammunition and see if it jams at all. If it doesn't, I will stick with that and use it exclusively. If it jams, too, I will take the gun back to the original shop and see what they suggest.

Taurus needs to seriously re-vamp their customer service department.

I know this was long. Thanks, in advance for reading. If you were in my situation, what would you suggest?

If you enjoyed reading about "My Taurus 941 and their less than enthusiactic customer service..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cpirtle
February 4, 2011, 04:39 PM
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by jamming but here are some thoughts..

Try using your bore brush to clean the chambers in the cylinder, make sure there are no deposits toward the front where the shell casing ends and the bullet begins.

This is a common problem to many 22 revolvers. When it happens the bullet does not fully seat into the chamber so that when the firing pin strikes a lot of the energy is used up seating the bullet the rest of the way in. This would also explain difficult extracting of the spent cartridges if that's what you mean by jamming. It may also explain why the different ammo owrked for a bit.

That said, I would burn a Taurus before I would send it in for warranty work. If you get a good one they are decent guns, if you get a bad one try to find someone to fix it locally if they are willing. Taurus has the absolute worst customer service in the industry (IMO).

Hope this helps.

WifeofBleys
February 4, 2011, 04:47 PM
By jamming, I mean that I cannot pull the hammer back and I cannot pull the trigger. Upon examination of the casings, there is a small, but pronounced, bulge at the rim of the casing. On occasion, it is difficult to extract the spent casings. As for cleaning, my husband cleans the guns meticulously after being at the range, so while I appreciate the suggestion, I don't think that's the problem.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 4, 2011, 04:47 PM
If it were me, I would buy a Smith. But, that is just me.
When I see that Smith and Wesson is not built in the states, I will consider something else, but for now, I will only buy a Smith, or something better.

I consider Taurus to be low-grade. I realize there are plenty of Taurus' out there and millions of rounds have been fired with no problems at all, however I just don't care for them.

I like vanilla ice cream more than any other flavor. I could eat vanilla ice cream all day. Some people hate vanilla ice cream and only like chocolate, or strawberry, or some other.

I do think they lost what would be a good customer with the way they treated you and your coming here and being honest about what happened may cause them to lose another sale or two. I guess that's just the way retailing goes sometimes! One good thing is that you did not find this problem in a life-or-death situation - umm, could you please wait a minute, I think my gun is jammed?

WifeofBleys
February 4, 2011, 04:53 PM
I do think they lost what would be a good customer with the way they treated you

That is correct. Though I do love my .22 magnum, I will never buy another Taurus.

As for people I might stop from buying their products...that's up to each individual. Coming here and honestly posting about my situation was really not about stopping sales. I just wonder if anyone else has had an experience like mine and what they might have done to remedy it.

Thanks!

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 4, 2011, 04:59 PM
That is correct. Though I do love my .22 magnum, I will never buy another Taurus.

As for people I might stop from buying their products...that's up to each individual. Coming here and honestly posting about my situation was really not about stopping sales. I just wonder if anyone else has had an experience like mine and what they might have done to remedy it.

Thanks!
Oh, I agree absolutely!
We all know our likes and dislikes, we all know what works best for us and our circumstances.

I hope someone can help you on here. I just googled your "rebated chamber" and got your post and one other that wasn't even .22 related. It is surprising to me that a gun made for a certain cartridge would even leave the factory without that particular cartridge fitting in the gun (cylinder)!

It makes one wonder, was it even TEST-FIRED?
If there is a TEST-FIRED stamp in the metal, how DID THEY test-fire the thing if it doesn't work??

WifeofBleys
February 4, 2011, 05:08 PM
It doesn't jam constantly, though with the original ammunition we tried, it jammed more than not. Funny thing is, the customer service at the company that makes that ammunition has been absolutely amazing! That person is the one who said the cylinder is not "rebated" (that's the term he used), therefore, the ammunition will not seat flush in the chambers which is what is causing the jamming.

Would it be possible to take it to a gunsmith and have the chambers altered? I have no idea if that's even possible, I'm just kind of thinking of all the possibilities. Because, after all, I do not want to give up the gun. It really is fun to shoot!

WifeofBleys
February 4, 2011, 05:11 PM
It makes one wonder, was it even TEST-FIRED?

I have wondered the same thing. I don't see how it could have left the factory without being tested??? But it did not come with a shell casing, nor can I find anywhere stamped in the metal that it was, in fact, test fired.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 4, 2011, 05:11 PM
It sounds as if the recess where the case rim is supposed to set is not quite machined properly. Almost like there needs to be a bit of a chamfer created.

I would not try anything myself, but would rely on a competent gunsmith. Depending on where you live, you just might find the right one with a milling machine and/or lathe who could quickly repair that gun for you.

Hey, it would be better than new!

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 4, 2011, 05:13 PM
I have wondered the same thing. I don't see how it could have left the factory without being tested??? But it did not come with a shell casing, nor can I find anywhere stamped in the metal that it was, in fact, test fired.
NOTHING would surprise me any more.
Absolutely NOTHING.

Perhaps it was built at the height of the gun-buying market two years ago and they were glad to just get them out and on the tractor trailers and into the stores.

It doesn't seem right, but that can be the way some things are.
NOT RIGHT.

WifeofBleys
February 4, 2011, 05:13 PM
We are lucky to have a gunsmith within a 5 minute drive from our house. I don't know the quality of his work, but it is definitely worth looking into. Better than new would be a good thing!

royal barnes
February 4, 2011, 05:18 PM
I'm not aware of a gunsmith who would tackle rebating a cylinder. I am sure there are some but would suspect the cost to be prohibitive. I work parttime in a gun store and stories of Taurus' lack of customer service are many. Other companies are willing to issue an RA # and pay shipping both ways. I know of several Taurus firearms that have been back several times and still return not fixed.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 4, 2011, 05:19 PM
If that is the case she may be better off just trading the thing.

WifeofBleys
February 4, 2011, 05:26 PM
I mean no disrespect, but outside of trading my gun for another gun, can you suggest another option, royal barnes? I cannot afford to pay $100 to ship the gun to them, nor do I want to pay that money to just receive the gun back in the same condition I originally sent it in. If the gunsmith can't help, what are my options? This whole thing just irks me.

cpirtle
February 4, 2011, 05:41 PM
First of all, if the gun wasn't designed to have a recessed cylinder, you can't expect to just recess the cylinder and have it work, the firing pin would not hit the cartridge.

I understand what you're saying about cleaning it meticulously but trust me, no matter how hard you clean them if you don't specifically focus on that area with solvent and a brush it will not come clean. I know from experience.

The more you describe the problem it sounds like a bit of what I said above and possibly a bent or out of spec crane causing the cylinder to spin slightly off axis. If that were the case pulling the hammer back on some rounds would be smooth (but cause light strikes) and some would bind. When the cylinder binds it's going to add pressure to the entire firing mechanism making the trigger pull harder and also subsequently make the cases harder to extract.

If that's the case in all seriousness it's not worth fixing unless you send it back. Most likely you're not going to find a smith willing to work on it. Sending the gun back does not have to be so expensive but be prepared to wait up to a year or more to see it again. The cheapest way to send it back is to go to a friendly gun shop or FFL and ask them what they would charge you to send it back for repair. Most will charge $10-$30 processing and whatever priority mail costs them. Licensed dealers can us the post office, regular Joe's can't.

Best of luck with this though, I know it can be very frustrating.

cpirtle
February 4, 2011, 05:44 PM
PS: If you post your zip code, me or someone else can post a list of FFL's in your area that you can call and get prices from. The cheapest usually don't have a shop and many times are the most willing to help you out because if they help you now you may buy from them in the future.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 4, 2011, 05:50 PM
I agree, why pay for Next Day service if the gun is going to sit in some room for a week before they even get to opening the box. Then another few weeks before they even look at it, then a few more weeks to figure out what is wrong with it.

If your Taurus went out the door before it was finished, you bet a lot of others may have as well, so their returns could be backlogged a year!

So, see what is the least expensive way to ship it back. Of course, make sure you send no ammo with it unless they specify spent casings - NO LIVE AMMO!

Animal Mother
February 4, 2011, 06:07 PM
WifeofBleys,

First, I am not a lawyer, and your mileage may vary.

[SNIP]

Taurus will usually get it fixed, their wait time is 4-6 weeks on repairs, but the cost to ship it to them will almost certainly be less expensive than a gunsmith. If I was you, I'd send it in for repair.

Good Luck!

WifeofBleys
February 4, 2011, 06:17 PM
Honestly, I don't want to wait a year or more to get my gun back.

Before I even consider sending it back (I do appreciate the more affordable options mentioned, BTW), I am going to ask my husband to try cleaning the cylinder again and try using Remington ammo the next time we go shooting. If it doesn't fail with the Remington, I will just use that exclusively and hopefully not have any more trouble. If I have trouble with the Remington, I think I am just going to trade the gun on something that is not a Taurus.

I am still wondering how this defect could not have been detected at the factory and how many more guns are out there like mine?? How could a rimfire cylinder be made where the ammunition does not fully seat in the cylinder?? It just baffles me.

I'm really hoping the Remington performs well again. The 50 rounds we fired last time did not jam once.

You know, the jamming issue does bother me in that my .22 magnum is my go-to gun when my husband isn't home (please let's not get into that, it's been well-debated here) and I don't need it jamming in the event that I need it. What bothers me also is the customer service by Taurus. It is really in need of some serious overhaul or I could see the company taking a major downturn at some point in the future because loyal customers will just go somewhere else.

royal barnes
February 4, 2011, 07:40 PM
As has been stated, it should not cost more than $25 to ship it 2nd day air but I would carry it to the local smith before sending it back. He may take one look at it, determine the problem, and fix it on the spot. We recently had a Taurus like yours come in from the distributor. No one in the store could open the cylinder or cock the hammer. We finally managed to get the cylinder open with a rubber mallet and found several large metal shavings under the extractor star. I don't see how this gun could have been test fired at the factory. Someone on the assembly line would have to forcibly close the cylinder. I have never owned a Taurus and what I have seen over the last ten years convinces me that I never will.

clem
February 4, 2011, 07:51 PM
My 941 is back at Taurus being repaired (under warranty). It was key holing at 10 meters with Winchester white box and after three cylinder loads, I had one heck of a time getting the spent shells to extract/eject.
Inspection after cleaning show that ALL cylinders had tool/chatter marks and the barrel cone cut/machining was off center.
I have 3 other weapons by Taurus and they work great!
I guess the newer guys/girls at Taurus have thier heads up thier butts on quality assurance/inspection.
My revolver has now been there a month, no word yet.

WifeofBleys
February 4, 2011, 08:05 PM
I would like to exhaust all possible remedies before actually sending it back to Taurus.

so.....

I think I will ask my husband to really concentrate on cleaning the cylinder and see how it acts when we next go out shoot.

I would like to retry Remington ammo and see how it performs.

Then, if still necessary, take it to our local gunsmith and see if he can make suggestions/fix the problem.

If the gunsmith can't fix it, I think then I will take it back to the dealer where I bought it and see what they recommend.

And, finally, as a last resort, I will either trade the firearm for something else or send it back to Taurus for repairs.

oldfool
February 4, 2011, 08:50 PM
don't mean to compound your pain, but if you surf over to rimfirecentral.com and google up Taurus 94/941, you will at least not feel lonely

it's not your ammo, nor your cleaning technique, and sending it back to Taurus may not get it done right either
luck of the draw matters a lot in 22 rimfires, it matters a lot more with some make/models than others.. Taurus gets a LOT of customer service calls on 94/941, probably not their favorite topic

Taurus has made, does make some very good guns
very make/model/vintage specific :(

cpirtle
February 5, 2011, 01:57 AM
WifeofBleys, I think you have a good plan of attack. Good luck with getting it resolved.

Bo
February 5, 2011, 09:19 AM
Thought I'd chime in. I too USED to own a Taurus 941. I had the same problem. It would only fire 8-16 rounds before locking up. Couldn't pull the hammer back or pull the trigger. If I opened the cylinder and ran a brass brush across the face of the cylinder, I might get another 8 to 16 rounds off before it happened again. Clearance was too close, it would foul up and not allow the cylinder to spin.
Called Taurus and sent it back for service. Turn around wasn't bad, about 4 weeks. Took the gun out shooting. Didn't lock up but, the shells wouldn't eject. Had to pick out the shells one by one with my fingernail.
I bought this pistol to teach my grandson how to shoot. I was very disappointed with it. After the failure to eject incident, I took it back to the shop where I bought it, took a loss but traded it for a Ruger Mark III. Excellent pistol, very accurate. No regrets.

BossHogg
February 5, 2011, 09:33 AM
Reading this is sad I hope you get your issues worked out. I want to buy a 941 22 mag and when I just about make my mind up I come across something like this. I would be buying used but I may be getting others problems.

I guess I'll just go back to thinging it over. Dang it!

WifeofBleys
February 5, 2011, 11:51 AM
I hope to either find the kind of ammo it likes and use only that OR take it to the gunsmith and see if anything can be done. I have been discussing trading it, but I hate the idea. Not only will we lose money, the 941 is the first gun my husband bought me....and I like it! If I knew I would have these problems, I would've looked for something else.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 5, 2011, 04:40 PM
I agree, have your husband really clean that cylinder. If it still does not work, go to the gunsmith five minutes away and see what he tells you.

From the sound of it this is not the first one of these that this happens to and it surely will not be the last.

I'm sorry for you, I know what it is like to have something you have complete confidence in only to find out it was not all it was cracked up to be.

Good luck with it!;)

22-rimfire
February 5, 2011, 05:02 PM
The ammo shouldn't matter. You are thinking right sort of... but you have already done most of what you mentioned in your check list except the dealer and gunsmith route.

If it were me, I would visit the gunshop you bought the revolver and ask them to ship it back to Taurus for repairs. As mentioned, they have more cost effective shipping options. So get a box and pack it up or ask the gunshop what packaging is appropriate. It will probably fit in one of the USPS flat rate boxes which I would tape up well with some cushioning.

Good luck. For me, it is just not worth the likely possibility of having to fool with Taurus after a new gun purchase. I would not buy one of their handguns even though I have been tempted to buy a Model 94. I just recently purchased a Model 63 Smith 22LR. Yes, I spent more, but not a lot more.

WifeofBleys
February 5, 2011, 08:00 PM
I am actually disappointed about it. I thought a new gun work flawlessly. I was mistaken. I never thought a revolver would jam. Again, I was mistaken. I thought any firearm maker would back their product. It seems I am wrong there, too. I really, really don't want to give up my gun...but I have to wonder, based on other posts in this thread, how Taurus can possibly make it right. They can't change the tolerance in the cylinder. They can't rebate the chambers. My choice seems more clear the more I ponder the options.....

clem
February 5, 2011, 08:10 PM
I am actually disappointed about it. I thought a new gun work flawlessly. I was mistaken. I never thought a revolver would jam. Again, I was mistaken. I thought any firearm maker would back their product. It seems I am wrong there, too. I really, really don't want to give up my gun...but I have to wonder, based on other posts in this thread, how Taurus can possibly make it right. They can't change the tolerance in the cylinder. They can't rebate the chambers. My choice seems more clear the more I ponder the options.....
They can polish the chambers. And they can re-cut the barrel by the forcing cone to set the right cylinder gap.
Yes, they can and should make everything right, and I hope that they do the same to my 941 which they have had for over a month now!

BleysAhrens
February 5, 2011, 10:18 PM
You could always trade it in with that C9 and get a .357...? :evil:

WifeofBleys
February 5, 2011, 10:44 PM
I hope that they do the same to my 941 which they have had for over a month now!

That's why I am so hesitant to just send it in for repair. I don't want them to have my gun for some unspecified period of time. It also seems (from the experience of others) that I may receive my firearm back with the problem corrected (or not) and possibly other issues, which would just irritate me further. I would much rather exhaust all the possibilities (extensive cleaning of the cylinder, a trip to the gunsmith, trying Remington ammo again, talking to the shop where we bought it) before having the firearm leave my possession.

What irks me is that I cannot depend on this firearm as it is (unless it still "likes" Remington and won't jam) and Taurus is seemingly acting as though I am to blame by their lackadaisical attitudes. If I was in charge, I would say, "Oh no! There is something drastically wrong with the firearm you bought from our company? What's going on with it? It's jamming?? My goodness, what if you went to use this firearm in a self-defense situation and you were unable to fire it because of this problem? That is unacceptable and something that our company takes very seriously! What can we do to make this situation right?" Instead, what I got was nothing even resembling that.

Funny, but I actually DID get that exact response from the customer service department of the original ammunition that I fired in the 941. Their customer service has been absolutely the BEST I have ever encountered! The gentleman I spoke to had me send in the shell casings(and unused ammo at the company's expense) so he could inspect them and try to determine the problem (he is the one who told me about the lack of "rebated" chambers so the ammo is not sitting flush). He is even sending us ammo for another of our firearms for our time and inconvenience, just to make it right.

Now, I have to wonder why I did not receive that same kind of service from Taurus. You would think so, considering I spent $400 on my Taurus 941. (yet only about $20 in ammo from the company I spoke of....)

couldbeanyone
February 5, 2011, 10:48 PM
The next time you shoot your 941 and it jams, try wiggling the cylinder back and forth in the rotational plane. If this frees up your jam, you have a sticking firing pin. I have had this issue on several of my taurus 94's and 941's. The cure is to take the firing pin out and polish it with emery cloth until it moves freely in its bore. Also, every one of these guns I own came from the factory with way more than its fair share of grit inside. Taking off the side plate and completely stripping down and cleaning these little guns is a must. I own no less than 16 of these little guns in various configurations and like them very much, but they do have a few idiosyncrasies. Also, a 6.5lb wolff trigger spring will help the trigger a bunch, although you may have to cut a coil off of the spring to get it to fit.

WifeofBleys
February 5, 2011, 11:01 PM
When it jams, I give it to my husband. He has tried wiggling it and the only way he can clear it is by flipping out the cylinder. Ultimately, it jams again. As for taking off the side plate, we haven't gone that far at this point. Would that involve removing the grips? If we can get the issue fixed, I would love to lighten the trigger some, but I believe we would take it to a gunsmith and not attempt altering the trigger ourselves.

Thanks for your response and suggestions. Much appreciated!

couldbeanyone
February 5, 2011, 11:33 PM
When it jams is it locked up solid or can you get it to cycle by assisting the rotation of the cylinder with your other hand as you cock it?

WifeofBleys
February 5, 2011, 11:35 PM
It's locked up solid.

couldbeanyone
February 5, 2011, 11:54 PM
Other than the firing pin sticking, I have not experienced anything locking mine up solid. By the way, yes, removing the sideplate does require removing the grips. People will bad mouth these little guns, but they are basically a sound and fairly simple design. I like them well enough that four of mine have been custom rebarrelled with 9" barrels. I would either seek to fix it myself or take it to a gunsmith. Taurus makes a decent product, but they sure don't waste any love on them. I have not had any problems with my 16 that I could not figure out and rectify myself, so I wouldn't give up.

WifeofBleys
February 6, 2011, 12:06 AM
We feel that the issue is caused because the rim is not fully seated, when it's fired, the pressure in the case pushes it back and causes expansion around the rim. If the rounds were flush in the cylinder, this problem would not likely occur. And though I have limited experience with firearms, I have never seen a revolver in which the ammunition did not seat in the chambers. Is there a suggestion you might make for getting the ammunition to seat in the chambers? Again, we greatly appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!

couldbeanyone
February 6, 2011, 12:33 AM
If you load the gun and pull the hammer back about half-way making sure your finger is not on the trigger and the gun is pointed in a safe direction, you should be able to to turn the cylinder freely with no drag. If you can the cartridges are seating fully. If it drags check to make sure there isn't a burr or powder under the ejector star. The chances of the case moving back when fired in a thin staight walled high pressured cartridge like 22 magnum is remote. Especially so in a fairly roughly machined cylinder like a Taurus.

WifeofBleys
February 6, 2011, 12:41 AM
My husband was able to do as you suggested (safety measures were followed) and there was not any drag noticed when turning the cylinder.

However, when it jams and we look at the spent casings, there is a slight but visible bulge at the rim. What, then, is causing this to occur, in your opinion?

couldbeanyone
February 6, 2011, 12:54 AM
If the slight bulge is small and directly above the rim it is being caused by the ejector star not being exactly the same size as the chambers in the cylinder. If you look at the unloaded cylinder you will see that the ejector star is not perfecly the same size as the chambers, thus the case swells into this small space when it is fired. Most of my 941 are like that and it has caused no problems. If the bulge is larger than the thickness of the ejector star you may have a badly machined cylinder.

WifeofBleys
February 6, 2011, 01:04 AM
Would a gunsmith be able to do anything about it if the latter is the case (badly machined cylinder) or would it have to go back to Taurus? I apologize in advance if this is a not-so-smart question.

couldbeanyone
February 6, 2011, 01:10 AM
Badly machined cylinder would need to go to Taurus for a new cylinder.

WifeofBleys
February 6, 2011, 01:16 AM
My husband just discovered:

He says to always assume that the firing pin will strike the rim at the least amount of distance from the side of the cylinder, meaning the very top. Take a spent casing, place it into the cylinder with the firing pin mark placed at the smallest distance from the side of the cylinder. The spent cases will drop flush, 99% of the time, with case bulge. Now pull the spent case out 1/4 of the way and rotate 90 degrees and the empty casing will not sit flush and a few will not even go down that far.

couldbeanyone
February 6, 2011, 01:29 AM
If cartidges go almost all the way in turned 90 degrees, sounds like ejector star. If you look at the chambers, do they look perfectly aligned where the ejector star meets the chambers in the cylinder?

WifeofBleys
February 6, 2011, 01:37 AM
It's hard to tell. Not quite sure I totally understand the question.

couldbeanyone
February 6, 2011, 01:53 AM
When you look at the chambers, are they perfectly round or are they a little off where the cylinder portion of the hole becomes the ejector part of the hole?

clem
February 6, 2011, 02:01 AM
When you look at the chambers, are they perfectly round or are they a little off where the cylinder portion of the hole becomes the ejector part of the hole?
couldbeanyone, you should be working at Taurus in their quality control division!

Lots of good points and info!

WifeofBleys
February 6, 2011, 02:03 AM
My husband is a photographer and has gotten out the camera to post some photos. The way it looks to "me" is that 3 of the chambers don't look lined up properly, it looks like there is a slight gap where the cylinder meets the ejector star. The other chambers look as though there is not a gap. Give us a few minutes to post the photos. Thank you so much for your input!

WifeofBleys
February 6, 2011, 02:05 AM
If it is an ejector star issue, could that be repaired by someone other than Taurus? Can you tell I really don't want to send my gun back?? Photos are coming...

couldbeanyone
February 6, 2011, 02:13 AM
Yea Clem, it would help a lot if they would pay only a little more attention to detail at the factory. These are basically solid little guns and a lot of the problems people have are caused by minor things that can be easily fixed. Why Taurus lets such minor things cause problems when only a little more attention on assembly would cure it is beyond me. I shoot at least 750 rounds through one of my 94's every time I go to the range and they have held up well. What initial problems I have ever had were either cured by a little fluff and buff or at most the replacement of a $4.00 part. Oh well, off my soap box and off to bed.

WifeofBleys
February 6, 2011, 02:17 AM

Here's what the ejector star and empty cylinder look like.

couldbeanyone
February 6, 2011, 02:17 AM
Wifeofbleys, the ejector star is easily replaced and is not an expensive part. I have never sent a gun to Taurus as I don't think they will give it the attention to detail a gunsmith or I would. P.M. me and I will get back to you tomorrow if you have any questions or want to try changing the ejector yourself.

joe_security
February 6, 2011, 05:38 AM
WifeofBleys: Maybe at some point in the future consider an S&W 351 PD Airlite if a good .22 mag is important to you. 7 shot, recessed chambers, hiviz front sight. Not cheap at about $600 online. No doubt S&W pays the shipping both ways and likely a fast turn around compared to Tauras. I understand many do fine with Tauras, I just think you are best served with S&W in the long run.

joe_security
February 6, 2011, 05:57 AM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=214293349

How about this one? Check out that trick muzzle crown in pic 12. It gives the badguy the impression that you are pointing something larger than .22 at him.

woad_yurt
February 7, 2011, 08:58 AM
There is no law stating that you have to ship it overnight or let FedEx know that it is a firearm, that's just FedEx company regulations. Just pack it beforehand, show up at the FedEx shipping hub, hand it to them, and ship it 2nd Day Air. If they ask what it is, tell them "machined parts."

Animal Mother,
I hate to burst your bubble but there is most definitely a federal law. You're advising folks to commit a felony.

From the ATF's own site:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-carrier

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

WifeofBleys:
Any FFL dealer can use the postal service to ship a handgun. If you are up a creek and if it turns out that you must send it back to Taurus, the dealer who sold it to you can mail it back for less than $10.00. If the people at the shop are at all ethical, they won't charge you anything above that for doing so. Actually, they should just mail it back on their own dime because, after all, they did sell you a bum gun. I would guess that a return from a dealer would maybe get a little more attention from Taurus anyway because, to them, alienating one of their distributors would be more costly than alienating a mere single-purchase customer.

Not to depress but you may be waiting for a long time. I have a friend who has twice sent off the same gun to Taurus only to get it back with the problem still un-fixed. After 8 months of frustration, he just gave up. Good luck with this. You're not alone.

Animal Mother
February 7, 2011, 11:39 AM
Fair enough, I was mistaken. I've removed the applicable section of the offending post.

NMGonzo
February 7, 2011, 05:08 PM
no one inspects the merchandise before buying anymore?

gofastman
February 7, 2011, 05:22 PM
I sent my 94 in for repair.
They paid shipping both ways and it was back in my hands in about 10 days.

They have very strange customer service, some people working for them are rude and don't know their arse from their elbow, while others are very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

PapaG
February 7, 2011, 05:40 PM
Take it back to the shop where you bought it and ask them to contact Taurus for authorization to ship back for repairs. THen have the shop send it back. We seem to be doing this quite often (wonder why) and the turnaround is fairly quick, normally about two weeks.

The small frame Tauruses are tied for first in our records for returns to factory for repair of original defects....along with SCCY and the Sig Mosquito. They all seem to finally get it right but why can't they do it right the first time?

clem
February 7, 2011, 07:25 PM
no one inspects the merchandise before buying anymore?
A lot of these defects mentioned are NOT noticable. They are operating issues. Also, these are NEW guns for the most part. There should be NO problems with them.

WifeofBleys
February 7, 2011, 07:56 PM
While I agree that the problems I'm having aren't "noticeable", they may have been noticed if Taurus took any time at all test firing the gun. After all, when I first fired the gun, I believe I fired a total of 13 rounds before the gun jammed. The shop where we purchased the gun has been very accommodating, telling us that if a change in ammo didn't help the situation we should bring it back to the shop and that it may need to go back for repair. I believe, (if trying Remington doesn't work either), we will go the route of sending the gun back through the LGS we bought it from. It makes sense that we would receive much better service that way...Taurus wouldn't want to lose a distributor, I would hope.

cpirtle
February 8, 2011, 01:39 AM
Based on the pictures I see a few thins that can be a potential problem, but hard to say.

What's the silver pin at the 8:00 spot, a pin or a ball bearing?

I see at least 4 spots where the extractor is above the cylinder. That could mean you have a bent extractor star or the pin it rides on could be bent. This could have happened by having to push too hard to extract spent casings or been like that from the start.

Can he shoot a picture directly through the chambers in the cylinder?

Here's my final thoughts..

After shooting X number of bullets the chambers started to foul to the point where some cartridges locked in. While trying to extract those spent cartridges that extractor bent downward toward the side of the bound cartridges, forcing the opposing side upward. Now when you shoot the high side is binding as it rotates up into the firing position.

Unless you hit it really hard to trying to eject the spent cartridges this part should not have bent. Inferior metal, bad heat treat, we'll never really know the cause.

Maybe for kick's some day I'll hardness test the extractor star on a Smith and one on a Taurus to see if there's a difference..

By the way, techinically the chambers are rebated (recessed), they just did them all at once as opposed to doing each one. See the large outer ring on the cyl.? That is the recess the ammo guy told you about.

H. Faversham
February 8, 2011, 04:19 AM
WifeofBleys, you know how, in the long run, it hurts less to take a bandage off with one, fast pull? Well here it is: Your particular Taurus is junk! It will be junk even if you have it fixed. They have your money; end of story.

Many Taurus weapons are junk, and many gunsmiths will not waste your money "fixing" them. It's not your fault, it's the fault of Taurus. Their "service" is not representative of the industry. Why do you think their prices are so low?

You will only wind up with ulcers if you try to have your 941 fixed or wonder how Taurus stays in business. Trust me; I've been shooting for over half of a century and Taurus "service" for many years has been an embarrassment to the industry. We all learn the hard way.

You should have had enough of them by now, so stop taking the bandage off one hair at a time to prolong the pain. Remember, it is not your fault. Get rid of it, now, in what ever way you please, and buy a S&W or even a Ruger. Both of those real gun makers will bend over backwards to make you happy.

WifeofBleys
February 8, 2011, 02:12 PM
Can he shoot a picture directly through the chambers in the cylinder?

I will have my husband take the photo as soon as possible.

Unless you hit it really hard to trying to eject the spent cartridges

No, we didn't hit it hard at all. Though some cases did stick, they weren't that difficult to remove.

Not sure if it is a pin or ball bearing. Will have to ask my husband as he would know more than me.

Thank you for your perspective, cpirtle!

WifeofBleys
February 8, 2011, 02:27 PM

My husband said he is sure that is a pin.

Here is the photo you requested, directly through the chambers:

mdThanatos
February 8, 2011, 03:07 PM
It's probably the alignment pin that is on the ejector star.

cpirtle
February 8, 2011, 05:12 PM
That's what I was thinking too but I don't have one to compare.

Check out the marked up image I loaded. First, the upper pin (arrow) looks like it has a burr, is in an elongated hole probably from being punched off center.

Then, look at the two circles in the upper section how they appear elevated with a larger gap between the extractor and the cyl. Then look at the lower circles opposite, they look tight to the cyl and to be flush or slightly below the surface.

It's possible the extractor is bent or if there's a burr under the upper pin that they screwed up punching in it could be holding the extractor up on that side.

How about pushing up the extractor and looking/feeling the underside below the ugly pin to see if there's a large burr or over punch that's preventing the extractor from going down all of the way.

WifeofBleys
February 8, 2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, cpirtle. My husband examined the ejector star and neither felt nor saw any burrs.

gadget111
February 8, 2011, 07:00 PM
My 941 did the exact same thing. It's still a work in progress but I like working on it. Check rugerforum.com for how to dis assemble an 85 (exact same dis assembly). When it binds up, usually when it heats up, clean under the ejection star with a tooth brush. My underside of the star was very rough and I smoothed it with a Dremel. I also read that the firing pin hits so hard that it sticks in the shell which causes binding. I cut one coil off the stock hammer spring and polished the spring rod mirror smooth. Now a VERY good trigger. Hope this helps. Bruce

gadget111
February 8, 2011, 07:27 PM
Sorry, that's taurusarmed.net. I also put in a Wulf trigger spring ( you have to cut off a coil or two) also tried the hammer spring but had many FTF. The trigger spring worked great. I use gray wall anchors as snap caps a lot. Watch the face of the cylinder for carbon build up. the fit at the forcing cone is very close. Again I use an old tooth brush. I use a Dremel with the smallest polishing wheel and then cut even smaller and metal polish on the inside of the chambers. Hopps does not clean it well enough. I'm determined I'm going to resolve this. Bruce

WifeofBleys
February 8, 2011, 09:42 PM
gadget111,

I appreciate your responses. My husband and I were discussing what you suggested. I understand that getting the gun too hot is not a good thing...but, at most, we shoot 50 rounds through it at a time. We don't shoot fast and we don't shoot all 50 rounds at once. We shoot our other firearms in between, so not one thing gets used all of the time. So, IMO, heating isn't an issue. Also, even when the gun is cold, it looks like the ejector star isn't lined up correctly, as shown in the photos in this thread. I am not certain of the firing pin sticking, though that could very well be a problem. While I appreciate the website and dis-assembly suggestions, I think we will leave that to the pros.

I hope you are able to get your 941 issues resolved as well.

gadget111
February 9, 2011, 06:22 AM
Good luck. Nothing wrong with letting a pro do it. There are a lot of tiny parts inside. Scared me the first time I opened it. I really like everything else about this gun and I may now have it right, just need to find time to get to the range. Bruce

CHEVELLE427
February 9, 2011, 06:46 AM
FYI last hand gun my dealer mailed off for me cost me $7.50 so someone is blowing smoke to u.

most u should have to pay is around $25 to have a ffl ship it, not sure but i think you can mail a gun back to factory, also not sure if you can use the USPS, but the BATF site should have the answer

WifeofBleys
February 9, 2011, 04:05 PM
Well, here's the latest everyone...

My husband and I went out shooting today and had more malfunctions with the 941. So, we decided to take it to our local gun shop, which also houses a full-service gunsmith. He checked it out and said that the malfunctions are most likely being caused by burrs on the ejector star. He also said something about it being a "timing issue". The repair should run about $40 and we should have the gun back in 2-3 days. I'm not sure if $40 is alot, but he did say that he has to basically go over each "channel" by hand, so that has to be worth something. Also, I thought that I would have to pay $25 to send it back via an FFL (if I decided to send it back to Taurus), so $40 isn't so bad, considering I will have the gun back in a few days. I hope this is the cause of the problems and once it's done, my magnum will be as good as new. As long as time allows, we plan to go shooting as soon as we get it back. If it isn't the cause of the problem, I'm not going to be very pleased. But it's worth a try....

WifeofBleys
February 15, 2011, 04:25 PM
UPDATE:

As stated in my last post on this thread, I left my Taurus 941 with our local gunsmith on February 9. He originally said he would have the star de-burred in a few days. Well, I hadn't heard anything from him so I decided to call today. (Patience is not one of my virtues..lol!) I spoke to him and he said that he had finished de-burring the star and, while doing that, he noticed that one of the pins the star rides on was "deformed", so he had ordered the part to replace it. He said the part should be here in a day or two and he would call as soon as my gun was put back together.

I really hope this fixes it! Both my husband and I really love shooting the 941!

I know he has had the gun for longer than he originally stated, but I've got to believe it's better than the turn-around time if I had sent it to Taurus. Also, who knows if Taurus would have seen the "deformed" pin?

As long as it's fixed, it'll be worth waiting for!

dansfarm1
February 19, 2011, 11:27 AM
bought new 941 / 22mag....did not fire consistently on single action...called taurus same day of purchase...next day fed x picked up gun @ my office.....prepaid....i thought 941 needed spring adj.........got gun back in 9 days with no comment...shoots fine now....called taurus and the told me they replaced firing pin and spring, checked timing....fired 24 rounds of win. 40 gr. to test.........quality control might need some improvement, but i found service to be excellent.....my fourth taurus....others are 9mm,and 38 sp........

clem
February 19, 2011, 05:13 PM
UPDATE:

Well, I got my 941 back last Friday (02/11/11) so they had it from 01/07/11 till then. The enclosed paper work said "adjusted" and "replaced". Nothing about what was adjusted or what was replaced, and included was a target with eight holes in it. The target had the comment; "Winchester Super X 22 mag. 15 yds Bench rest with sand bag 6 o'clock aim". All eight hits were in the black.
Now that looks great! But I haven't shot the revolver yet myself.

Now for the rest of the story.

Upon visual inspection, my once NEW flat stainless steel finish now has marks where fixture jigs held the frame while it was being repaired. But what has realy pissed me off is the dents in the left side of the top strap of the NEW revolver. I'll get pictures up soon.
I'm so mad that I didn't contact Taurus in Florida but I did write a letter to Mr. Luis Fernando Costa Estima, President of FORJAS TAURUS SA in Brazil.
Not that it might do any good, but I feel better about doing it.
I will not send my 941 back to Taurus or ever buy another Taurus product again.:fire: They have lost a long time customer and gained a very bitter enemy.:cuss:

SwampWolf
February 19, 2011, 09:46 PM
Upon visual inspection, my once NEW flat stainless steel finish now has marks where fixture jigs held the frame while it was being repaired. But what has realy pissed me off is the dents in the left side of the top strap of the NEW revolver. I'll get pictures up soon.

Whereas Taurus is the blame for an apparently defective revolver, the disfigurement you now speak of is not a fault of the manufacturer but rather the failing of a hack who calls himself a gunsmith. My sympathies for your ongoing ordeal.

22-rimfire
February 19, 2011, 10:01 PM
Hey, Swampwolf, that was Clem (different gun) versus the OP. Taurus apparantly did the surface damage when they "repaired it". It sometimes gets confusing.

WifeofBleys
February 20, 2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, 22-rimfire. Yes, sometimes the different posts on here can be rather confusing. To provide an update, the local gunsmith still has my 941. I am hoping he will call to let me know it is completed tomorrow. Hubby and I would love to go shooting on Tuesday, if road conditions allow. I will provide an update as soon as I have it in my hands. Either way, even paying a bit is better than sending it back to Taurus for an unspecified period of time. Besides, it's bice to support the "local guys" when we can, too!

SwampWolf
February 21, 2011, 06:26 PM
Hey, Swampwolf, that was Clem (different gun) versus the OP. Taurus apparantly did the surface damage when they "repaired it". It sometimes gets confusing.

OK, gottcha. I was confused-doesn't take that much to confuse me anymore, it seems. :o

WifeofBleys
February 22, 2011, 12:29 AM
No worries, SwampWolf!

I sure hope the gunsmith has my 941 ready tomorrow!! I'm dying to know if the problems will be fixed! Patience....what's that? LOL!

couldbeanyone
February 23, 2011, 10:31 PM
WifeofBleys, did you ever get your gun back?

JR47
February 24, 2011, 05:09 PM
I have had a Taurus Model 941, 4", since just after they came out. The first thing I did was strip it down, and clean out all of the goo that they use as a preservative. It was then lubed.

It has had several thousand rounds through it, trouble-free. It IS noisy little thing, though.

The average turn-around for the Taurus Service has been 6-8 weeks, NOT A YEAR, that's Internet Commando lore.

Taurus provides free shipping for the first year after purchase. Beyond that, you pay to get it there.

FYI, the picture that you posted shows a rebated cylinder. That rim on the outside is the "rebate", allowing the cases, in the event of failure, to avoid peppering your hands with brass. The ammo company rep was BSing you.

I own 14 Taurus revolvers and semi-autos. Some for nearly 30 years. I have had to send exactly ONE gun back to Taurus. It was a Model 85CH, non +P rated. I deliberately shot it loose using ONLY +P and +P+ ammo. It took 5k before it went out of time. They took 6 weeks, and returned the gun, re-blued, and tightened up, for FREE .

The Internet is full of professional Taurus bashers, who "have heard" about problems, and are eager to pass it on. Most of the stories, upon trying to obtain more information, turn into "well, it wasn't my gun, the gun shop said."

I wish you luck, but take the drive-by posters, with their Taurus is junk chant, with a few grains of salt.:)

H. Faversham
February 25, 2011, 05:54 AM
Per JR47: "[My 941] has had several thousand rounds through it, trouble-free."

No .22 mag handgun ever made "has had several thousand rounds through it, trouble-free." Failures to fire, unburnt powder under the extractor star causing failures to seat ammo properly and/or cylinder lockups, failures to extract empties because of powder-fouled charge holes, etc. are just the nature of the beast, i.e., shooting rifle ammo in a handgun. Sloppy craftsmanship just exacerbates the problems. So please cut the Taurus 941 walks on water stuff. I currently have three .22 mag handguns; a Colt and two S&Ws. I also still have a Taurus Tracker .44 mag because it was a keeper right out of the box. Yes, I agree, some Taurus handguns are keepers, for the money.

Per JR47: "...take the drive-by posters, with their Taurus is junk chant, with a few grains of salt."

My son and I have owned at least seven Taurus revolvers; four that I can think of offhand never should have left the factory; they were junk out of the box: a .22, two .22 mags, a .357 and a 44 mag. That's a junk ratio of over 50%. In addition, one of the other three had to be repaired because of a faulty extractor, and it never was fully repaired. All told, that makes my personally experienced bad Taurus ratio five out of seven. And that doesn't count all the horror stories my friends and gunsmiths told me about. (They weren't lying.) Nor does it count all my maddening experiences with Taurus' so-called Customer Service staff and the Q.C. folks and Repair Dept.. Would you believe that they "fixed" the head space problem in my boy's .357 twice, yet returned it in the same inoperable condition? Now how's that for Q.C.? The gun store owner finally became so embarrassed that he gave my son his money back.

Three years ago the best gunsmith in Dallas told me, "Yes, I can fix your Taurus, but it will still be a Taurus." This year, the best-known gunsmith in OK told me that he refuses to work on a Taurus.

Nevertheless, JR, I never said "Taurus is junk." I said to WifeofBleys that her "particular Taurus is junk" and that "Many Taurus weapons are junk, and many gunsmiths will not waste your money 'fixing' them." I'm not a "drive-by-poster", whatever that means. Nor am I a "professional Taurus basher" who only heard about other peoples' problems with Taurus. I was trying to convince her to cut her losses before she learned the hard way, as I and many others had to.

You, my friend, are a Taurus International supporter. Fine by me, but please don't go on line, ignore WifeofBleys' experience with her 941 and with customer service, which replicates my own and others' experience, and then say what you did about me. Some 20 or 30 years ago, when Taurus had an excellent Custom Shop and great customer service run by Bob Morrison (I think), it was a little better story.

Peace.

KJS
February 25, 2011, 06:36 AM
Other companies are willing to issue an RA # and pay shipping both ways.

Ruger would be one of them. They e-mailed me a pre-paid UPS label for my MKIII that had a rear sight that liked to slide back & forth at will and which leaned a bit to the right.

Due to my description of it leaning right just a bit the lady I spoke with thought it could be a problem with the dovetail.

Well, I shipped it to them Monday Jan 10th. That makes this day #46 of waiting. Last week I got a snail mail from Ruger saying "...we find it necessary to replace the barrel/receiver assembly at no charge." (Not real fast, but I really like free.)

The GCA of 1968 assists in delaying this further as I had to snail mail that letter back with my signature, presumably because they want/need official authorization to destroy & replace what is legally the "firearm." Upon receiving the letter I called Ruger to clarify that they do pay the fees for transfer of this new "firearm" to me by a local gun shop. Now I just have to see how long it takes them to fix and ship it back.

It was only a $350 gun, so Ruger is clearly losing a big pile of money on this in hopes of staying on my good side so I buy more guns and tell others a positive tale.

And to think I considered .22 revolvers to avoid the notoriously finicky nature of .22 autos. Apparently, rimfire revolvers can be quite a pain too from what I'm reading here.

H. Faversham
February 25, 2011, 04:45 PM
KJS, I agree with you regarding Ruger's overall service. It's been my limited but pleasant experience that although Ruger may sometimes be a little slow on major repairs, they WILL talk to customers and treat them like grownups as well. For me, they have bent over backwards to make it right--free of any cost.
In fact, I had to call their service staff today and had the pleasure of talking to a woman named Barbara regarding my SP 101. She did not have to do me the favor I asked because the matter involved negligence on my part, but she seemed actually happy to help.
And, oh yeah, rimfire revolvers can be a pain, but ya gotta love 'em. Stuff the charge holes with shorts or Stingers or whatever a particular bottom feeder rejects, and if a round is capable of being fired, a revolver will fire it every single time. I also like the fact that kids, women who are afraid of guns, and idiots like me can tell at a glance whether or not a revolver may be loaded. Not so with semi-autos.

JR47
February 25, 2011, 07:13 PM
No .22 mag handgun ever made "has had several thousand rounds through it, trouble-free." Failures to fire, unburnt powder under the extractor star causing failures to seat ammo properly and/or cylinder lockups, failures to extract empties because of powder-fouled charge holes, etc. are just the nature of the beast, i.e., shooting rifle ammo in a handgun. Sloppy craftsmanship just exacerbates the problems. So please cut the Taurus 941 walks on water stuff. I currently have three .22 mag handguns; a Colt and two S&Ws. I also still have a Taurus Tracker .44 mag because it was a keeper right out of the box. Yes, I agree, some Taurus handguns are keepers, for the money.

The gun itself has had no problems. Do you blame your own guns for bad ammo? No matter what you say, I own the gun, and have had zero problems with it. Perhaps it's because I keep it clean, and not over-lubed. I'm sorry if your .22 mags can't equal that.

I own a new S&W Model 617 that locked up the cylinder release after 25 rounds. It pushes in fine, but the cylinder will not release. It's been at S&W for the last twenty-three working days.

Your entire diatribe here smacks of a troll called on his story. I never said that Taurus walks on water. However, as my experience over the last 30 years has been far different than Internet Commando lore, it obviously makes someone feel put upon.

My son and I have owned at least seven Taurus revolvers; four that I can think of offhand never should have left the factory; they were junk out of the box: a .22, two .22 mags, a .357 and a 44 mag. That's a junk ratio of over 50%. In addition, one of the other three had to be repaired because of a faulty extractor, and it never was fully repaired. All told, that makes my personally experienced bad Taurus ratio five out of seven. And that doesn't count all the horror stories my friends and gunsmiths told me about. (They weren't lying.) Nor does it count all my maddening experiences with Taurus' so-called Customer Service staff and the Q.C. folks and Repair Dept.. Would you believe that they "fixed" the head space problem in my boy's .357 twice, yet returned it in the same inoperable condition? Now how's that for Q.C.? The gun store owner finally became so embarrassed that he gave my son his money back.

Yeah, stories from "people who aren't lying" are Internet staples. I currently own, as I said, 14 Taurus products. MY ratio is 100% good. As for Customer Service, I'm certain that you're as combative with them as you are here, and you got exactly "what you sowed".

Three years ago the best gunsmith in Dallas told me, "Yes, I can fix your Taurus, but it will still be a Taurus." This year, the best-known gunsmith in OK told me that he refuses to work on a Taurus.

Names, please, otherwise it's just bunk.

Nevertheless, JR, I never said "Taurus is junk." I said to WifeofBleys that her "particular Taurus is junk" and that "Many Taurus weapons are junk, and many gunsmiths will not waste your money 'fixing' them." I'm not a "drive-by-poster", whatever that means. Nor am I a "professional Taurus basher" who only heard about other peoples' problems with Taurus. I was trying to convince her to cut her losses before she learned the hard way, as I and many others had to.

FYI, I wasn't referring to you, nor to anything that you said. You've changed that by your posts tone and the trollish statements involving nameless experts and people "who don't lie". I will also ask that the "many others" be quantified. Taurus has been selling guns here for decades. I find it difficult to believe that they are still in business, and a leading maker of guns in America, if they are anywhere near as bad as you say. S&W nearly went broke for a poor political choice, much less a company making such Internet Commando hated guns.

You, my friend, are a Taurus International supporter. Fine by me, but please don't go on line, ignore WifeofBleys' experience with her 941 and with customer service, which replicates my own and others' experience, and then say what you did about me. Some 20 or 30 years ago, when Taurus had an excellent Custom Shop and great customer service run by Bob Morrison (I think), it was a little better story.

So, the fact that my experiences are different than yours makes me a supporter? Well, if reporting that I've never had a problem makes me a supporter, so be it.

I didn't ignore the lady's problem. She chose not to have the warranty honored by the manufacturer. End of story. However, Taurus asked her to send the gun in, after giving her the sane advice of trying different ammo. She bit on the ammo companies excuse about a "non-rebated cylinder", as, apparently did you.

Last, but not least. Bob Morrison is the CEO of Taurus International today.

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1664&bih=771&q=Bob+MOrrison+and+Taurus+International&btnG=Google+Search#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ton&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&biw=1664&bih=771&&sa=X&ei=l0NoTYmwD8GAlAeCofX-AQ&sqi=2&ved=0CBMQBSgA&q=Robert+Morrison+and+Taurus+International&spell=1&bav=on.1,or.&fp=3f40f95b1b9c7c0d

Check the date of the post.

Once again, I wasn't speaking of you. So, please, take your smug attitude and use it on someone who might care. After all, why would anyone call BS on a post like this?

WifeofBleys, you know how, in the long run, it hurts less to take a bandage off with one, fast pull? Well here it is: Your particular Taurus is junk! It will be junk even if you have it fixed. They have your money; end of story.

Many Taurus weapons are junk, and many gunsmiths will not waste your money "fixing" them. It's not your fault, it's the fault of Taurus. Their "service" is not representative of the industry. Why do you think their prices are so low?

You will only wind up with ulcers if you try to have your 941 fixed or wonder how Taurus stays in business. Trust me; I've been shooting for over half of a century and Taurus "service" for many years has been an embarrassment to the industry. We all learn the hard way.

You should have had enough of them by now, so stop taking the bandage off one hair at a time to prolong the pain. Remember, it is not your fault. Get rid of it, now, in what ever way you please, and buy a S&W or even a Ruger. Both of those real gun makers will bend over backwards to make you happy.

FYI, there are currently several threads that contradict your last sentence. It would appear that "many people" don't share your picture of Ruger or S&W as "real gun makers". Huh! Who would have thought?

Peace, yourself.

WifeofBleys
February 25, 2011, 10:26 PM
WifeofBleys, did you ever get your gun back?

No, couldbeanyone, not yet unfortunately. Hubby and I stopped by the gunsmith earlier this week to check on the status of the repairs, as we hadn't yet heard from them. They said they are still waiting to get the pin that they ordered. :( And seeing as it is now Friday, I doubt I will see my 941 til next week sometime, if then. I'm just playing the waiting game, though I still believe that I'm getting better service than if I sent the gun back to Taurus...

WifeofBleys
February 25, 2011, 10:34 PM
Taurus provides free shipping for the first year after purchase

Hmmm.... That's not what Taurus customer service told me when I called to report the problem, and I have had the gun less than one year. I spoke to two different reps and both informed me that I would have to pay to ship the gun back to them.

As for people bad-mouthing Taurus...I'm taking it in stride. I love my 941 (though it is kind of loud...lol) and I will not let anyone dissuade me. I will base my decisions, in the end, on my personal experience with the firearm's performance and the professionalism displayed by Customer Service. Right now, I must admit that I find Taurus' customer service department significantly lacking...but I do still love my 941 and can't wait to get it back!!

JR47
February 26, 2011, 02:15 PM
If you would look at the Taurus Website, you'll see that they advise that they will pay to send a gun back for Warranty work for the first year of ownership. They also Warranty the finish for one year.

You have been receiving a run-around from several sources. Taurus, and the ammo rep who informed you that your gun had a "non-rebated cylinder". The poster who advised that there was a year-long wait is similarly handing you a line. Then again, you don't seem to be doing any better with the gunsmith. Hang on, it'll all work out.

Mister/Mrs. Faversham, I own a collection of weapons ranging from RG to Korriphila in hand-guns, and from Western Auto to Perrazi in long guns. Several hundred, in fact. Please don't get your knickers in a knot when someone calls you on your sadly biased opinions presented as fact. They might just know what they're talking about.

<deleted>

Peace.

H. Faversham
February 26, 2011, 05:17 PM
Peace.

H. Faversham
March 7, 2011, 07:31 PM
WifeofBleys, may we assume that by now you are enjoying your repaired 941?

clem
March 7, 2011, 11:30 PM
UPDATE:

Well, I got my 941 back last Friday (02/11/11) so they had it from 01/07/11 till then. The enclosed paper work said "adjusted" and "replaced". Nothing about what was adjusted or what was replaced, and included was a target with eight holes in it. The target had the comment; "Winchester Super X 22 mag. 15 yds Bench rest with sand bag 6 o'clock aim". All eight hits were in the black.
Now that looks great! But I haven't shot the revolver yet myself.

Now for the rest of the story.

I'm so mad that I didn't contact Taurus in Florida but I did write a letter to Mr. Luis Fernando Costa Estima, President of FORJAS TAURUS SA in Brazil.
Not that it might do any good, but I feel better about doing it.
I will not send my 941 back to Taurus or ever buy another Taurus product again.:fire: They have lost a long time customer and gained a very bitter enemy.:cuss:
Well I finally was able to go shoot the 941 that Taurus repaired. It didn't key hole any shots but you still have to beat on the ejector rod to extract the spent brass.
Further inspection shows that the TOOL MARKS are still in all of the chambers. They didn't do squat about them.

GREAT SERVICE TAURUS! I hope you read this!

And no, screw them, it isn't going back again, I'll repair it myself.

JR47
March 8, 2011, 03:32 PM
Brownells offers cylinder hones in various diameters. They will clean up the tool marks without over-sizing the charge-holes if you're careful. I've found that S&W is the prime offender to rough charge-holes in my guns.

clem
March 8, 2011, 03:41 PM
I couldn't find any listed by Brownell's for .22 LR but, I'll work something out to polish the chambers.

flyingtiger85
March 8, 2011, 07:26 PM
I bought a Taurus 941-22 mag. a couple of months ago.I've shot it about 5 times now with no problems so far.Mine is high polished stainless steel.One thing I have noticed is that after around 3 x 50 round boxes of ammo the cylinder does get a little sticky and the cylinder starts to have trouble opening and closing back to the shooting position.The burn't gun powder start's to build up on the barrel side of the cylinder and beginning-cylinder side of the barrel opening.When I clean the gun after shooting there are no problems.I think that the 22-magnum leaves a lot of dirty resedue.Maybe these guns have a lemon factor that's fairly high and some are OK?

clem
March 8, 2011, 09:12 PM
I bought a Taurus 941-22 mag. a couple of months ago.I've shot it about 5 times now with no problems so far.Mine is high polished stainless steel.One thing I have noticed is that after around 3 x 50 round boxes of ammo the cylinder does get a little sticky and the cylinder starts to have trouble opening and closing back to the shooting position.The burn't gun powder start's to build up on the barrel side of the cylinder and beginning-cylinder side of the barrel opening.When I clean the gun after shooting there are no problems.I think that the 22-magnum leaves a lot of dirty resedue.Maybe these guns have a lemon factor that's fairly high and some are OK?
I trade you guns, even across?!

H. Faversham
March 8, 2011, 09:35 PM
flyingtiger85, what you describe is very common with even the highest quality .22 LR and .22mag revolvers. The mags are more troublesom because there is more unburnt powder to foul things. Yours is certainly not one of the lemons. Just brush it out well after 100 or so rounds, including under the star.

WifeofBleys
March 8, 2011, 10:25 PM
WifeofBleys, may we assume that by now you are enjoying your repaired 941?

No, H. Faversham...I still have not received my gun back from the gunsmith, nor have I even received a phone call. What originally was quoted to take "a few days" to fix has now gone into weeks. At first, I thought it rather good customer service that the gunsmith found something else to be a problem and took the initiative to order a new pin for it. Now, I am frustrated. Some communication would be nice.... If I don't hear anything in the meantime, I will be calling them by the end of the week. A couple weeks ago, we stopped by in person and he said he was still waiting on the pin to be shipped. I do want it to be fixed properly, therefore, I am willing to be patient. But to just be left hanging like this makes me think I will not use this particular gunsmith in the future, no matter how convenient his shop is to my home.

JR47
March 9, 2011, 04:27 PM
<deleted>

Good luck, and I hope it all works out well.:)

WifeofBleys
March 9, 2011, 08:14 PM
I respect your opinion, JR47. However, I have experiences Taurus's lack of customer service myself, twice, upon calling their customer service department. Two different employees that I spoke to gave me the absolute impression that they did NOT want to do the job they were doing. They refused to send me a shipping label. They gave me a very bad impression.

Fmjblack
March 9, 2011, 11:44 PM
It sounds like the gunsmith is at the mercy of Taurus or whatever business it is that he ordered the part from. I'm sure he would love to get the repair over with and get paid. However, this certainly does not excuse his lack of communication. I hope you get your gun back soon and that it is working properly!

H. Faversham
March 10, 2011, 03:58 AM
Fmjblack, there is no doubt in my mind that you are correct. That's why almost all gunsmiths I know won't work on a Taurus; too often it ruins the relationship between the gunsmith and his customer. Gunsmiths tell me they have just as much trouble dealing with Taurus as anyone else, but they get the blame. So now most of them just tell their customers that, because their stores sold the guns and because with some exceptions Taurus has a lifetime repair policy, they will ship (at cost, if any) customers' guns back to Taurus for repair.

Sam1911
March 10, 2011, 10:43 AM
[Mod Talk: This thread had better find a level of civility that is SORELY lacking or it will be closed and folks will take some time off. Left open at this point only so that Ms. WifeofBleys can report the final resolution of her problems.]

WifeofBleys
March 10, 2011, 06:07 PM
Thank you, Sam1911.

Still waiting on the gun, and at this point there has been no call from the gunsmith. :(

BleysAhrens
March 10, 2011, 06:10 PM
I have experiences Taurus's lack of customer service myself

What kind of grammar is that? :what:

:p

PapaG
March 10, 2011, 07:37 PM
We have one of these in the case, still new, that has been back to the factory...or service center..twice for non-lockup problems. It seems that the smallest frame revolvers are uniformly lacking in two areas, and this is from handling, selling and returning for repair, a dozen or more.....trigger pull, and locking bolt issues.

Clean, deburr and lube.....still have problems. No one makes a spring kit for these either.

Have a tracker 17 and a Judge and both are great on lockup, trigger and indexing.

The big frame revolvers we've sold have been great.

We got in a 94 yesterday that was pretty well trashed from a cosmetic standpoint but had a great trigger pull and locked up fine. Had been well used. Did something happen recently? Did the basic lockworks get changed in the last five years or so? Wonder?

H. Faversham
March 15, 2011, 03:34 AM
" Did something happen recently? Did the basic lockworks get changed in the last five years or so? Wonder? "

It's sad, PapaG, but something happened. This is from the link in post 30 of the "Taurus Model 94" thread now on page 1 :

Heffron Firearm Classics

Charles City, Iowa 50616

(641)-330-9560

NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS

3/6/2011: TAURUS and THE STUFF I HATE TO DO: So; what do I hate doing? Well, weeding the garden is no fun. Probably my least favorite is moving snow. Last spring I purchased a skid loader for moving snow. I played with it all summer like a big Tonka Toy. It worked great. When we got our first snow in November, I drove the skid loader about 50 feet and it broke. I just got it back on Friday. Thank goodness for a nice neighbor North of me. But, the thing I really, really hate doing? Announcing a new service and then immediately pulling it. It makes me feel.......... bad!
THE STORY BEHIND IT? Well, Taurus. Through the years, I have received many, many requests from Taurus revolver owners wanting to know If I could tune their firearms. Based on some experience I had with them I always said "no". Then........ I researched this. I worked with a number of revolvers. Some we purchased, some were loaners. We came up with a system of tuning that offered great improvements. The revolvers we tuned showed great promise. This is why we offered the services. Keep in mind, this research was not based on 2 or 3 revolvers either. We worked on good number of them. I felt good about it. Ahem.........
Since marketing the services, we have received 22 revolvers for various levels of tuning. Out of these 22, only 4 were reasonably fit/built/finished from the factory. The other 18? Well, I really don't mean to be cruel, but the words "Paper Weight" or perhaps "Boat Anchor" come to mind. Where were these when we were researching? RRRRRR!!!!!
To get into further detail, please allow me to present the following list with issues found on many, many of these revolvers.
-Grossly oversized throats. Try like .035"+ oversized in some cases.
-Grossly oversized forcing cones. Same dimentional errors as the throats. In addition to this, FAR too deep. Like by...... .080"!
-Excessive endshake. So much so that firing pin impact pushes the cylinder into the rear of the barrel.
-Extremely loose cylinder lockup. If it wasn't for the oversized throats and forcing cone, there would be so much lead shaving one would swear it's a shotgun.
-Poorly fit crane latch. Poorly fit as in........ .100" or so of slop.
-Missing springs. Some of these revolvers actually are missing springs, right from the factory.
-Rough barrels. If I lapped them enough to really get them smooth, the rifling may actually be gone.
-Double Action shooting malfunctions. Such as binding, skipping cylinders and sometimes not moving at all.
Remember the 4 that were O.K.? Well, that is actually now 3 due to double action issues on a .22 Tracker in Kansas.
All of the Taurus revolvers HFC has serviced will have the HFC warranty honored. However, I have no choice but to discontinue service on Taurus revolvers. Our customers expect a certain level of performance. Research years ago revealed that tuning Taurus was a bad idea. Research months ago revealed that it could work. Recent reality has showed that this was NOT one of my brighter ideas.
I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience, but to maintain OUR quality assurance, this is the way it has to be.
Many years ago, I received The Gospel According To Roger (my Dad) which stated: "When it comes to revolvers you've got Colt, Smith & Wesson, Dan Wesson and Ruger. Everything else is just a noise-maker." To that list of the "good ones", I will add Freedom Arms and U.S.F.A., but how right he was; oh yes, he was.
Again, my apologies. I guess as always, we must stick with what works......consistently.
Have a great week everyone and easy does it. -Mike
END QIOTE

WifeofBleys
March 17, 2011, 10:05 PM
UPDATE!!

Hello, everyone!

Just wanted to let you all know the good news, that I got my 941 back from the gunsmith today. Service was a little slow, IMO, since I dropped it off February 9th... But there do seem to be some obvious changes to the mechanics of the gun. The cylinder appears to be back farther against the frame, the cylinder also locks in alot tighter. The ejector star has been totally deburred. It feels alot stiffer to eject the cylinder.

I am not sure if any of the pins were replaced. I know that is what the gunsmith originally told me (that he ordered a new pin), but when I picked up the gun today and asked about it, the gentleman there (not the gunsmith who did the repairs) wasn't sure what was done and there were no notes on the repair bill. So, I don't know for sure what was done, outside of what I can see and the differences I feel in the overall operation of the gun.

I am taking the gun out tomorrow, and will be sure to post the results. If it is fixed, it is well worth the $40 we spent.

WifeofBleys
March 18, 2011, 08:41 PM
YAY!!!!!!

My husband and I went shooting today and the 941 performed flawlessly with the 100 rounds we put through it. We used Federal and CCI ammo. No problems!!! :-) There is a difference in the overall "feel" of the gun and the sights seem a bit different as well. But, overall, we are very pleased with the outcome!

Edited to add: we did take a toothbrush with us to the range and used it regularly to clean under the ejector star and any loose powder we found hanging around. My husband said, next time we go out, he wants to take a cleaning rod with us, just in case.

couldbeanyone
March 18, 2011, 08:50 PM
Glad to hear its fixed. Been hoping you would get it straightened out. Enjoy.:)

H. Faversham
March 18, 2011, 09:55 PM
"But there do seem to be some obvious changes to the mechanics of the gun. The cylinder appears to be back farther against the frame, the cylinder also locks in a lot tighter. The ejector star has been totally deburred. It feels a lot stiffer to eject the cylinder."
"There is a difference in the overall 'feel' of the gun and the sights seem a bit different as well."
Glad you're finally happy, WifeofBleys, it's about time you got a break with that thing.:)
And now you've got me wondering about the differences you are noticing. Simple deburring would not cause all that. If you ever find out what had to be done, please let us amateur gunsmiths know.

WifeofBleys
March 18, 2011, 10:50 PM
I would like to know what was done, too, H. Faversham!! I'm not sure when I will actually be able to find out though, as the gunsmith who actually did the repairs has just had major surgery and I have no idea when he might return. But I definitely notice a difference in the gun. It was much "looser" before the repairs. Everything feels tightened up. But what I know for sure is that 100 rounds went through without a hiccup, and that made me happy!! :) I will be sure to post if I can find out what was actually repaired/replaced.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Taurus 941 and their less than enthusiactic customer service..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!