Where did You Learn Riflemanship ?

PDA

mc223
February 5, 2011, 01:57 AM
Where did you learn all of those little tidbits of info that get posted on the Forums?

I started in a normal Midwestern progression of BBs, Pellets, 22, 410, 16ga, 12ga
30-30, 30-06.
I was when I was young and am now an avid hunter, and recreational shooter.
I have been crafting my own ammo since my teens.
I also did a little time in Uncle Sams Army, where at one point was a part time armoror.
I have been a Machinist since before the Army and a Tinkerer all my life. I am a mechanical engineer with career emphasis on fasteners, (retired).
The info I post is as factual as can be confirmed in any method other than the internet first and then only to trusted info on the net.

Whats up your sleeve?

If you enjoyed reading about "Where did You Learn Riflemanship ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nick5182
February 5, 2011, 02:01 AM
i've never posted about my riflemanship, but 99% of what i learned about shooting came from my father who was a BATF firearms instructor for 7 years.

TexasPatriot.308
February 5, 2011, 02:02 AM
I grew up poor in the oilfields in the country in the late 50s, early 60s. hunger makes you a good shot. vegan is an old indian word for poor shot. we didnt have tv till I was 10 so we hunted and fished. I still got my Sears and Roebuck single shot .22 my dad bought me used for $10, lots of money in 1961. the military helped me a few years later.

TCU
February 5, 2011, 02:02 AM
i was from the city growing up so i didnt really learn weapons until the USMC. Its a big hobby of mine now though. I shoot very well and can only get better so i learn as much as possible from asking, practice, and reading theory. I love to learn about long range shooting though, as it is the most demanding and that is where the true skill lies. Alot of pistol guys disagree, and Close quarter is cool, but less variables. Close quarter can be difficult, but as you learn your weapon and style it comes to be muscle memory.

husker
February 5, 2011, 02:35 AM
Camp Ashland Nebraska
On the national guards firing range when i was a we lil lad about 10 or 11. back in 78-81
I would watch them guys shoot for hours at a time.

Geno
February 5, 2011, 02:48 AM
I learned shooting rifles and shotguns from my uncles and cousins. I plinked thousands of rounds through my BB guns, and my aunt's .22LR. I learned to shoot handguns from my former BIL, a now retired LEO. I learned bow and arrow in junior high school. It was a required segment of study for us in 7th and 8th grade. We even had to do tests.

By the time I took hunter safety, I had already been shooting for some years. Finally having a hunting license, I cut my hunting teeth on my aunt's over-under .22LR/410. That was a great lil' firearm. After hunter safety, I hunted with my uncle's M94 .30-30 Win, and my grandfather's .30-30 Win bolt-action rifle.

It wasn't until about age 24 that I began serious shooting, and learned handloading from my Uncle Dave. The man is the single best shootist I ever have witnessed. He taught me several tricks for squeezing out every ounce of accuracy a rifle has to offer, from selecting which rifle has the tightest action and cleanest bore, to how to break in the barrel.

In more recent years (1996ish though 2003ish), I used to frequent a local shooting range. There was an elderly WWI vet, John, who attended the range every day to teach anyone who would listen. I listened, watched, practiced. I learned a lot from John.

Over the course of the past 8 years, I have been taking (invitation-only) Tactical Shooting and Advanced Tactical Shooting courses. Heck, I even reenroll in MCPL courses here in Michigan just for the refresher aspects of it, and for the shooting fellowship.

All in all, I have been fortunate to have been associated with some of the biggest shooting names in Michigan. The name doesn't much matter, but the skills and experiences they hold that earned them that name is what matters. The sum of the whole has taught me to be a respectable and respectful shootist.

Cool thread! Thanks for starting it.

Geno

nathan
February 5, 2011, 03:29 AM
I started with a .17 cal airgun rifle at age 11. Shot a big rat right up to thehead at 5 yds. Split it into two. I was amazed at the pinpoint accuracy as it was my first kill.
My first centerfire was in 1995, got me a new in the box unussued Russian SKS . I still have it to this day and will never part with it.

wanderinwalker
February 5, 2011, 07:50 AM
I learned from dad around 8 or so with a little Marlin single-shot that was too big for me to hold. Then a little while later I had a baby-sitter whose husband coached the junior smallbore shooting team. He taught me quite a bit that I've been practicing and refining since. Plus match shooting clinics and then actually competing, which compress a lot of learning and practice into a small space. I also help out at the new shooter clinics our Highpower group runs in the spring, teaching people is another great way to refine your knowledge and learn alternative methods and techniques.

AirForceShooter
February 5, 2011, 08:11 AM
The US Air Force, The US Army and the Australians.

They all did it slightly differently but their systems all worked.

AFS

Picher
February 5, 2011, 08:25 AM
I shot BB guns for thousands of hours, spending almost all my chore money and part-time earnings on ammo. I actually wore out three BB guns in about two years of shooting.

My older brother had given me his old Red Ryder after he got a Rem 514 and a couple of other guns, including an M-1 Carbine. He taught me the basics and I took it from there. My sister's boyfriend had a handgun and he taught me how to shoot pistols. I'd go with them to shoot in gravel pits many times.

After I got my drivers' license and was working more, I bought my own guns. First was a Stevens semi-auto .22LR., then one of the first Savage 110s, a 30-06, which I put into a semi-inletted Bishop blank, making it look and feel like a Weatherby. That was my first glass-bedding job (1960). A 2.5 Weaver was mounted and my buddy and I then started hunting woodchucks for practice. Handloading came a couple of years later.

Coal Dragger
February 5, 2011, 08:44 AM
Started on a .22LR revolver at roughly age 10, then a 22LR rifle at 13 or so, then a .38/.357 revolver at around 14. Somewhere along the way my dad picked up an SKS which was my intro to centerfire rifle. At 16 I got a Para Ordnance P14 which turned out to be a turd. At age 19 I joined the United State Marine Corps and served a little over 6 years total in the Infantry. I also shot competitive pistol for Missouri State University my senior year and made nationals at Ft. Benning in 2003. Prior to that I had started shooting competitively on my own with an HK USP .45, trading it in on a Kimber Super Match while I was shooting for MSU.

The Marine Corps was good experience for shooting, and I qualified as an expert rifleman multiple times, and qualified expert on pistol the one time they bothered to have me shoot the M9 for score. I really refined my shooting at MSU with the pistol team, and from taking elective classes in rifle marksmanship shooting precision small bore from field positions. I could have shot for the rifle team as well, but didn't for lack of enough time to do both.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 5, 2011, 08:53 AM
When I was about 12 (in the mid-60's), I took a Shooter Safety Course at the local YMCA and they had a range in the basement that we used with their .22's to shoot five rounds each, at the end of the course.

Then I started going weekly to shoot at the range along with others who all had .22 rifles. For my birthday, my dad bought me a Remington Targetmaster (or Matchmaster), I have since traded that gun and have kicked myself for doing so as it was really clean (like brand new) and was a real tack-driver.

I ended up getting NRA certified as Pro-Marksman, Marksman and Sharpshooter. I went to a couple of matches and almost won one match, it was down the wire to another young guy and myself to shoot one final target. I think the award went to him because that was his range that he always frequented and I was just a visitor. The targets were so close, they could not tell what the scores were. After that loss, I kind of lost interest in shooting the .22 at the range the amount that I had been up to this match. That's why I never made it to Expert.

Skyshot
February 5, 2011, 09:45 AM
My dad,retired USAF and my Uncle, retired Army got me shooting at age six and that was in 1959 and there was no P.C. back then. One of my dad's buds was an AP in the airforce and when he got out he went to work with the Texas highway patrol, he got me hooked on deer hunting when we lived in Texas. When dad retired from the AF he went to work for a large gun retailer in Tn. so I also was introduced to reloading. As for me, Member of NRA,NWTF,TN.Hunter Ed. instructor,gunsmith and range saftey officer,hopeing our sport live's on to the next generations. But now we are facing P.C. and liberalizm running rampent and the break down of the family unit working against us. There is a lot of kids out there with no dad or uncle to teach and mentor them and thats a bad thing.

Wedge
February 5, 2011, 09:56 AM
Cub scouts (BB guns)
Parents bought my brother and I pellet guns and set up a range in our basement
Boy scouts, 1st merit badge was Rifle Shooting.
Camping, friends and shooting (plinking) 22s through HS and college

dagger dog
February 5, 2011, 10:17 AM
The Old Man served WWII Army 30th Feild Artillery , qualifed Expert ,rifle,BAR, his brother my Unc,served WWII USAAF tail gunner 8th Air Force, qualified Expert, rifle,twin 50 BMG.

They both lived well into their seventies, long enough for some of their tutoring to sink into this thick skull, the rest was gained by noctournal subliminal recordings of Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, Ed McGivern, and other gun gurus played back night after night:D

montveil
February 5, 2011, 11:07 AM
Dad with a old Mossberg 22 auto followed by US Army with M1 in 1960

Quentin
February 5, 2011, 11:20 AM
The first rifle I fired was an M14 in basic training, 1966. Then the M16 in Vietnam.

Quiet
February 5, 2011, 11:24 AM
Boy Scouts of America

KSDeputy
February 5, 2011, 11:59 AM
From my Dad, who loved to fish and hunt. I got my first gun, a 410 pump, when I was 10 years old. I was the oldest of 3 boys. When my brother turned 10, he got the 410 and I got a new 20 ga auto loader. Later I got a 12 guage auto loader. I also got a 22 auto loader, that is how I really learned to shoot a rifle.

jon_in_wv
February 5, 2011, 12:16 PM
I learned to shoot growing up on a farm in Minnesota then from the United States Marine Corps. The last several years I have been learning about shooting longer ranges with a precision rifle and optics. This year I'm going to concentrate on reading wind conditions.

00 Buckshot
February 5, 2011, 12:26 PM
I joined the U. S. Army fresh out of high school. I qualified expert in basic training with the M-16.

Not too much rifle work since then other than some occasional recreational target shooting.

I'm more of a shotgun fan these days.

Still Shooting
February 5, 2011, 12:56 PM
I grew up surrounded by hunting and shooting, in central NY. Even my mother, an only child, said, "I was my father's only son!" My dad took me out at age 8 to shoot my grenddad's .22, and I waited until age 12 for my first BB gun. I used it every day, all summer long. At 13 I was given a Crosman .22 air rifle, and at 14 I bought my first rifle from a friend. It was a Savage 340, .22 Hornet, and the first summer I had it I eliminated 97 'chucks from the surrounding farmers' fields. I also did my Hunter Safety at 14, and started hunting grouse and rabbits with Dad.

Dad presented me with a press, dies, powder, and a box of bullets for my Hornet when I was 16, and that year I also spent my first week in the Adirondacks with Dad and Granddad deer hunting with a borrowed 6.5x55 Swede.

My high school graduation gift was a Remington 760 in .270win, and shortly after my Dad's 1912 Marlin 16ga. was handed down. At 24 I got my NRA and Conn. state Hunter Safety Instructor's certs, and taught it for a few years.

Later, in Mass. I became interested in handguns, bought several, and taught Defensive Handgun for Permit classes there over a 4 year period (I have always believed that teaching people to own and use firearms safely is the best way to protect our Second Amendment rights- the more of us there are, the harder it will be to take away the guns!)

I have belonged to sportsmen's clubs continuously over my adult life, and learned a tremendous amount at ranges, while hunting, and just connecting with others who share a love for guns and shooting.

Harley Quinn
February 5, 2011, 01:56 PM
Shot a lot of BB guns and archery as a youth...

17 years of age, USMC taught me all I needed to know at Camp Matthews San Diego CA. 1959...

I was high expert of the platoon, got a trophy to prove it...M1 Garand was the rifle:)

Because of high regard for good shooters, I went to Sea School...
Very lucky for me, traveled the world and saw much... High expert all the time in Corps, with pistol also:)

Regards

TCU
February 5, 2011, 03:15 PM
jon_in_wv for reading wind conditions your best bet is to understand the influences of the wind especially in your area. Whether it be thermal heating, pressure systems, tertiary currents, any mechanical lift, etc... Anyway it is easier to read when you have an idea of the what to expect and what is the dominating feature over your engagement area. Anyway if you have any question on any affect of weather id more than happy to answer.

Hanzerik
February 5, 2011, 03:51 PM
My Dad wasn't a shooter, so he took me to a Elks club friend who happened to be a Range Master at a local civilian range and a retired USMC Gunny. He taught me the fundamentals of rifle shooting and firearms safety/handling. He also ran the local Boy Scout ranges during the summers. He needed an assistant and asked me if I wanted to do the job. I first had to get my Rifle/Shotgun Merit Badge, so I got that on a one-on-one bases with him. Then over the next three years as a Range Assistant/Instructor at two different SoCal summer camps, I proceeded to teach 100's of Scouts gun safety/handling, and everything else to becoming a better shot. We would sometimes get a Marine on loan from 29 Palms for the summer (Great break for those guys)...Sarge still had some pull with the USMC. It was always fun to go head-to-head with a true Active Duty Marine in friendly competitions when we had an empty range, and he also taught me some stuff. Sarge even got some USMC marked Remington 40x 22lr target rifles donated to us which we used to shoot NRA BSA postal matches (Which I used to win a few with some perfect scores). I had lots of practice; I shot maybe 500+ rounds every day during the summer out of many different rifles, luckily the ammo was donated by Winchester and we had cases of the stuff.

So even though my Dad wasn't a shooter, I did have a great Instructor who taught me tons of information on rifle shooting. I'm sorry to say I lost contact with him after joining the Military in 1988, but his teachings follow me to this day even 23 years later. I never knew his real name for all the time, I knew him as Sarge. Great old man who did three tours in Vietnam, great coach, great shot, and continued to bring great credit to the USMC even though he was retired.

chicharrones
February 5, 2011, 04:03 PM
My dad and the Boy Scouts taught me the basics. My brother gave me more pointers once he was in the US Army. Even then, I'm still learning to this day. I am far from being an expert.

Welding Rod
February 5, 2011, 04:56 PM
Dad.

He is a Korea era vet.

Funny, after watching the WWII era film on army marksmanship with the M1 Garand 3+ decades later, it was like listening to Pop again with that 10/22 on the back porch.

CowboyTim
February 5, 2011, 05:11 PM
My dad. He was a USMC Scout Sniper

xfyrfiter
February 5, 2011, 05:29 PM
Dad, he was a WWII era US Army sniper, Airborne, fought in Alaska, Italy, and North Africa, The absolute best rifle shooter I have ever seen. He was also very good with a revolver, ie. pop can at 125 yards with a .357 security six.

VT Deer Hunter
February 5, 2011, 05:39 PM
My uncle Karl who lives in VT. So there is Hale Mtn F&G Club which has a 500yrd range and he has been a member since he was a teen and im a member too, he has had and used guns for most of his life and he taught me what i know about them. He also is a gunsmith but just fixes guns that are his or friends.

Water-Man
February 5, 2011, 05:52 PM
My grandfather taught me.

USAF_Vet
February 5, 2011, 06:43 PM
First the Boy Scouts, later in the US Air Force. My dad wasn't a gun guy at all. I started teaching my kids last year. They are now 7 & 9 years old.

gidaeon
February 5, 2011, 07:01 PM
Appleseed. It was attending these Appleseed clinics that taught me NPOA which was the single biggest help. Also discipline with breathing, sling use and more effective sitting and prone.

I have a ton to learn still but they really helped shrink my groups shooting with irons.

BrocLuno
February 5, 2011, 07:15 PM
Farm boy (they called it a ranch, but it was a farm) shootin' squirrels, coons (raidin' the chicken coops) and blue jays (pecking the fruit in the orchard), hunting rabbits & deer. Older got into range stuff with some LE buddies and went through LE training while doing arson investigations in the fire dept.

Later went into the Army and got to play with their toys up to and including M60 Tanks. Back out and working on the 'Bay so we'd take pellet rifles and pistols out on the boats to shoot trash like floating light bulbs washed down from the dumps when we were at lunch or stuck waiting on a tide change to get somewhere.

Now it's mostly home smithing and range time to see what works - what doesn't?

True Grit
February 5, 2011, 08:01 PM
My Grandfather a WWII vet who still to this day carries his 1917 Enfield 30-06 with flip up 1600yd vernier sigts and I'd be nervous to be within 1600 yards of him = ]

Hangingrock
February 5, 2011, 10:31 PM
Basic marksmanship Parris Island, advanced marksmanship studies ITR Camp Geiger and graduate application Vietnam class of 66.

OpelBlitz
February 5, 2011, 11:18 PM
TV!

All kidding aside, my dad and the Boy Scouts is where I learned.

BillyDa59
February 5, 2011, 11:42 PM
My dad first taught me to shoot when I was probably... 5 years old or there about. I started off using a .22 with peep sights but I don't remember the model. At some point between then and when I turned 12, my father also taught me to shoot with .223, .357 and 12 GA. When I turned 12 my father gave me a .22 Henry Golden Boy and after another year I got a Winchester Model 12. Somewhere in there, I also acquired a Ruger Mark II from my father's friend. After I turned 18, I bought myself an SKS.

scythefwd
February 5, 2011, 11:43 PM
I learned handgun markmanship from my father. I learned rifle marksman ship from my grandfather.

Dad ... ex leo/grunt. Very good shot with either hand... Some day I hope to be as good with my dominant hand as he is with his weak hand.

Grandfather .. ex military, Peoria Park district police/firearms instructor/ hunter safety instructor, Illinois Valley Rifle League competetive shooter. That man had smaller groups than a person with a 2 inch shake should ever have.... Better than me with a rest (I have huge problems centering things without some sort of measurement tool).

Usagi
February 5, 2011, 11:46 PM
1. Pops. He qualified Expert in the Army in the 60's on the M14.
He learned a lot from his uncle, who was on the Army Marksmanship team at one point (placed 4th overall in an interservice match - using the M1).

2. Review of training videos, and practice in those techniques.

3. Appleseed helped me make mechanical my shooting technique.

4. A good friend, who helped me polish certain techniques.

Alchymist
February 6, 2011, 12:15 PM
Father and 2 older brothers (1 ex army) in a rural setting back in the 50's, topped off with an Air Force stint.

Kentuckiana rifleman
February 6, 2011, 12:52 PM
Both of my parents were VERY anti gun but thank God my parents were drugged out degenerates and my older brother was into shooting... I started out shooting a .22 and worked up to an SKS. Once I was in the military the rest is history, To this day I do a lot of shooting.

HM2PAC
February 6, 2011, 01:50 PM
The USMC.

A number of really good RO's took this Corpsman aside and taught me how to shoot. They taught me pistol, rifle, shotgun and let me practice on any of the cool stuff they had out. Wonderful experience that has given me a lifetime hobby.

Bonesinium
February 6, 2011, 02:00 PM
Nowhere.

The only real 'training' I have ever received was a few hours before qualifying with the M16 in the Air Force, once. All my other shooting has been done pretty much on my own.

So honestly, if anything, I got more training here on the internet, and watching TV, then anywhere else.

Smith357
February 6, 2011, 02:04 PM
I'm still learning.

It all started with dad on the back porch and a Daisy BB gun, then hunting with the family, some boyscout shoots, a four year stint as a grunt in the USMC, a few years competing in smallbore matches, et et et...

btz
February 6, 2011, 02:52 PM
airsoft then bb and pellet guns, then .22 and so on. seems like thats the norm

gatornavy
February 6, 2011, 03:38 PM
grew up hunting deer and hogs in georgia, then joined the navy and was sent to learn how to shoot from the best of the marine corps!

wow6599
February 6, 2011, 03:48 PM
I taught myself by walking (killing small game) through the woods of SE Missouri at about 9 years of age with a Marlin 336......but my grandpa taught me about "Kentucky windage".

SimplyChad
February 6, 2011, 03:57 PM
Dad with hand guns (1911) but until then my grandpa was a sniper in nam. Got to use a pump action 22 then graduated to a .223 when I was ten. After that he let me take his 700 in .308 on my twelfth hooked ever since. Currently teaching my wife to shoot.

blackops
February 6, 2011, 07:24 PM
Paps showed my the basics, I took it from there.

auberg
February 6, 2011, 08:33 PM
I started as a pistol shooter.

An older brother got me into it at about 19.

About 4 years ago I took a local M1 Garand clinic that was offered at Fort Knox. That got me into shooting rifles with open sights.

I went hunting for the first time last September.

I'm 46. I know its a late start, but better late than never.

mdauben
February 6, 2011, 08:59 PM
Pellet guns with my Father in a home-made indoor range and single-shot .22s at summer camp with the Boy Scouts.

dustyj
February 6, 2011, 09:02 PM
6 or 7 learned how to shoot pellet guns at the Baptist Church. Thats Texas I guess. Then my parents got me a daisy, then moved on to the 760 pumpmaster. Tons of BB's and pellets and plenty of small birds. My buddies folks trained dogs and had a pigeon house and shot plenty of mice in there. Rifle and shotguns came later. Joined the army infantry, was able to carry the m240b through 2003-2004 Iraq. And shoot as many issue weapons as possible. Still army and now enjoy shotguns and my favorite Ruger bolt action rifles.

crossrhodes
February 6, 2011, 11:42 PM
I'm in the same boat as TCU but I lived in the country and my parent were anti gun and kind of hippies. So at 17 I joined the Corps and been learning something new ever since. You can never have enough guns.

threefeathers
February 6, 2011, 11:57 PM
My Dad enrolled me in an NRA program when I was 9, then I actually got a Red Ryder BB gun and must have fired 10K BB;s through it. By High School I had a single shot Winchester Model 67 and trained with a neighbor who had been on Iwo Jima. By the time I told the AZ NG a little fib about my age I was very knowlegable about proper marksmanship. My second drill I made expert with the M-1. I did the same in basic, then a year later went on active duty and made the rifle team in every post I was in for the next 24 years. :cool:

jaimeshawn3
February 7, 2011, 01:02 AM
Rural Oregonian. Dad has an old apple orchard backed up to a national forest and all we had to do was step outside and we had a firing range. Dad had a number of pistols and rifles... I still don't own a SMLE jungle carbine because of memories of recoil with it when I was little.

I bought my first gun when I was 16 from a hardware store - and back then, it was normal for a teenager to buy a rifle or shotgun, and normal for any hardware store to sell you one. I remember Remington loaning a couple 870s to our high school shooting team when they came out... Can anyone imagine that happening today?

henschman
February 7, 2011, 01:35 AM
I was almost a completely self-taught shooter from a very young age. I first learned by taking my BB gun out on our acreage, starting when I was about 8. I then started sneaking my dad's old .22 out of the basement when nobody was home, when I was 12 or so. When I was 15, I had my mom buy me my first gun, a Chinese SKS, with money I had saved from working construction. By the time I was in my 20s I fancied myself a pretty good shot... which I was, compared to my friends... but I didn't actually learn how to SHOOT until I went to an Appleseed marksmanship clinic.

Until then I didn't know anything about Natural Point of Aim, and I had no clue that a sling was good for something other than carrying the rifle. I also didn't know some of the finer nuances of trigger control, and of building a stable position.

Now I am a Rifleman, and I am confident that I can pick up any rack-grade rifle with iron sights and ball ammunition, sight it in, and hit any man-sized target out to 500 yards (at least) from field positions.

I benefitted immensely from Appleseed, and I decided I would like to help others have the same experience I did. Long story short, I am now a shoot boss and state coordinator for Appleseed. I organize and run marksmanship clinics all over my state of Oklahoma, and try to do my part to turn this country back into a nation of Riflemen.

mc223
February 8, 2011, 01:55 AM
Thanks for all the input. This is why this is The High Road !!

NWCP
February 8, 2011, 03:50 AM
My dad taught me how to shoot and firearms safety. He also taught me to hunt. I've been shooting ever since. A 20 year stint in the Navy added to my education as well, but without my dad I never would have gotten into the sport. In turn I've taught my wife, one son (my other son has never had an interest in firearms) and my daughter wants me to teach her how to shoot after all these years. I've also brought friends into the sport over the years. Life is good.

Col. Plink
February 8, 2011, 11:32 AM
Summer camp. Best hour of the day!

50-ft range with bolt action ghost sight .22

Think I shot a 48 one time...

Voland
February 8, 2011, 02:57 PM
I was not so lucky... I didnt have any one teach me. I bet that I am still doing it wrong but it seems to work ok...

Dallas surprisingly sucks for shooters. I know of a bunch of ranges but no real classes or training programs near by... I wish we had a good gun school near by...

V.

MrSpiffy
February 8, 2011, 11:31 PM
At 27, I only started shooting firearms about 3 years ago. My family never owned guns, shot, or hunted. So, most of my knowledge came from trial and error, watching technique videos, and practice. My mechanical engineering background also helped me quite a bit in figuring a few things out and being methodical in my shooting. But this past November, I attended an Appleseed shoot. I learned shooting from sitting and prone positions (my range only has benches...), as well as some great information about breathing and trigger follow-through. My shooting has improved quite a bit, and I even managed to make Rifleman on my first Appleseed. I'm confident that the stress of timed shooting will also help me when I try my hand at hunting.

Voland, I'd recommend an Appleseed to anyone looking to improve their shooting skills. Take a look at their schedule page (http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states.php?filter=TX&statename=Texas) and you'll find one near you. They're well worth the time, effort, and money.

PzGren
February 9, 2011, 12:00 AM
I am still learning riflemanship and will continue that process for as long as I can hold a rifle.

I started out as a young kid with an old break barrel air rifle, then got a used Diana (RWS). I was shooting a lot of airrifle with a friend in those childhood days, bottle lids at 10 to 15 yards, the one of us that missed most was to buy the next tin of pellets. The military later helped me out with free ammo and now can afford my own.

But I still use a Feinwerkbau 300S to practice off-hand shooting.

This is the one that started it over 40 years ago:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/LG002.jpg

doc2rn
February 9, 2011, 03:26 AM
God gifted me, the Navy found me, the Marine Corps Trained Me! Semper Fi !

ECVMatt
February 9, 2011, 10:42 AM
I first learned to shoot from some local contractors (construction not combat) who would shoot at the local Standard Oil plant. Then a group of lifeguards who liked to hunt took me under their wing and taught me some more basics. Next came three years of USMC JROTC in high school, but my Ph.D came from TEXAS! I was lucky enough to move their right after high school and had a couple of years to shoot with some great guys. They were ranchers and shot daily. They really taught me how to shoot in the field, reload, and hunt hard.

Picher
February 9, 2011, 11:33 AM
Watching "The Rifleman", with Chuck Connors, probably doesn't count as rifle training. Neither does emulating Barnie Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show" count as handgun instruction. ;)

Vlad357
February 9, 2011, 11:33 AM
I learned the basics around the farm and local woods. My Dad was also a cop so we had a lot of guns around when I was growing up. Uncle Sam taught me all about the M16A1, .45 and M60.

Percy
February 10, 2011, 02:17 AM
First post although I've been lurking your threads for nearly a decade. I guess it might be time to speak up.

I learned from my mom. No dad around, she found some good ole boys with truckloads of toys and I learned that I had a distinct love of pulling the trigger. Turns out, it takes a bit more than that to hit what you're aiming at. I got the most of my actual training from a junior rifle club in the basement of the YMCA while I was in junior high. Really made my friend who invited me mad because I could produce really nice groups when given the right tools and a bit of instruction.

Moved onto the Marines later for a short time where some bad "dope" from my PMI at 500 yards cost me expert. I settled 4 points low as a sharpshooter. I recently shot through to the "marksman" rating (NRA/Winchester marksmanship qualification program) and will continue to shoot through distinguished expert as money/time allow.

I've gained a lot of experience from reading these threads and practicing the techniques, Maj. John Plaster's "ultimate sniper" is an excellent must read if you want to get some distance in your shot. The best learning experiences I've had of late have been in teaching other shooters how to become more accurate with NPOA, breathing, and proper trigger squeeze. It's amazing how much teaching others forces you to re-hash your own form and technique. I just started a gun related blog to encourage the 500+ honor students I've been leading for a couple years to step outside their comfort zone and the response has been tremendous.

Our relationship with marksmanship/riflemanship is a lifelong commitment and it turns out that it really is more beneficial to all of us to share our expertise.

EdLaver
February 10, 2011, 12:11 PM
My father, a vietnam vet and my grandfather, a hunter for 50+ years...

BigN
February 12, 2011, 11:35 AM
Father, brothers, sisters, uncles, neighbors, friends, everyone had guns. Military service hooked me on shooting.

zfk55
February 12, 2011, 11:38 AM
From my Father. Daisy Red Ryder, then an original Chipmunk and on from there. The Chipmunk will go to my son along with what my Dad taught me.

Latigo

If you enjoyed reading about "Where did You Learn Riflemanship ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!