I must be special. I love my Century Arms gun

PDA

rocinante
February 5, 2011, 03:24 PM
I for one truly enjoy my egyptian 8mm FN49.

I got one of their vz58s on the way to me now. I am hoping I will like it. Just about everyone who actually owns one writes well of it. I know they fouled up something with the safety early on but that was then this is now. Right?

Oh we all know about the zoo of drunk monkeys they keep in liquor. For fun I googled and there is plenty of haters out there. Seems they did poorly with CETME and tantals especially. We will start another thread for the horror stories.

Am I all alone in being pleased with a gun from Century Arms Importers???

If you enjoyed reading about "I must be special. I love my Century Arms gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WardenWolf
February 5, 2011, 03:28 PM
I've got 4 CAI guns. Two imported as-is, two they've built or worked on. All good guns. The two imported ones are my Romanian Tokarev and my Romanian PSL. The ones they've worked on are my WASR-10 underfolder and my Golani. The Golani amazes me with how solid it is. Yes, I know some of their earlier Galils had out-of-spec receivers. However, their current receiver manufacturer uses mil-spec milled receivers.

husker
February 5, 2011, 04:10 PM
"I must be special. I love my Century Arms gun"
I dont think it is the gun as much as it is the warranty that comes from Century.
I know I have read enough about Century on THR
I wont ever buy anything from them.

Birddog1911
February 5, 2011, 04:23 PM
I've had a couple of CAI FALs, and a PSL. The PSL was great, and the FALs were easily made great. While I'd want to see the rifle first hand, I'd have no issue buying another CAI product.

rocinante
February 5, 2011, 04:23 PM
well husker thank you for that negativity. I gather you do not own one, just read enough about them.

husker
February 5, 2011, 04:52 PM
rocinante Im not trying to be mean or a smart ass. As I stated, its not the gun.
Say I go to my loco shop & buy one NEW. Its been in their back room new & unopened for lets say 14 months. & it looks fine. I get home & this ,that or the other thing is wrong with it. Then what? The warranty is for 1 year after it leaves Century. So either Im screwed or the shop I bought it at is.
Am I wrong in thinking this way?

rocinante
February 5, 2011, 05:04 PM
no husker i am being the smart ass. apologies.

nalioth
February 5, 2011, 07:34 PM
I know I have read enough about Century on THR
I wont ever buy anything from themYou do realize that Century is the largest firearms importer in the USA (if not the world), right?

"Not buying anything from them" will greatly decrease your buying choices, especially if you collect milsurps. The vast majority of Century's imports are only fondled by the monkeys long enough to be tagged and entered into their system.

UnknownGunMan
February 5, 2011, 07:47 PM
I own serveral CAI guns, sometimes you get a dud, but for the most part they are reliable.

Only issue i've ever had with them is sending me an AK bayonet on a C93... they obviously ran out of the HK style and threw one in the box.

I've got their AK's, Draco, Golani, and C93... all great guns.

My suggestion is buy all of the CAI guns you can, cause eventually the liberals are gonna try to ban them all!

True Grit
February 5, 2011, 07:52 PM
"Well Pilgrims..." When it comes down to it I really don't think to care about were the gun was made at that I'm staring down the barrel of... Lol but no seriously I do like to buy US made guns if I have the chance but lets face it we all own something that has at least one imported part on it even if its just a screw. They find ways to slip that stuff in on us. As far as the Century Arms go I've got an AK-74 on order right now and I have not problem with picking one up to defend my family. All means to and end...

Quentin
February 5, 2011, 07:54 PM
I also have four Century imports and kept them all. I really like my WASR-10/63 but love my FM Hi-Power! Thank you CAI for that pistol, thank you, thank you!

Spec ops Grunt
February 6, 2011, 02:33 AM
I wouldn't mind getting a PSL.

I suppose my 91/30 and East German Makarov are CAI, but they just import those, they don't assemble them.

R.W.Dale
February 6, 2011, 02:56 AM
Guns imported by and stamped CAI are fine.

But I've experienced, seen, witnessed and had to deal with the "things" horrible horrible "things" they do to firearms they actually work on. For the most part I block out these memories, in the past sometimes with chemical help. Yes it takes a toll on the family who now have to cope with a situation they neither asked for or deserved but life goes on. Over the years I've finally come to accept that I cannot keep in all the anger and outrage for what I've been put through, I now have some good friends helping me and every day bit by bit I put a little more of my traumatization behind me.

Tapatalk post via IPhone.

Nick5182
February 6, 2011, 03:26 AM
My brother's got a CIA Draco AK pistol and it's accurate and goes bang every time. I'm looking into getting a WASR sometime soon. Glad you're happy with yours!

madcratebuilder
February 6, 2011, 06:47 AM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/century20monkey1.jpg

Nineball
February 6, 2011, 06:57 AM
Century Arms imported my Star, and I have nothing but praise for that weapon.

nalioth
February 6, 2011, 08:45 AM
My brother's got a CIA Draco AK pistol and it's accurate and goes bang every time. I'm looking into getting a WASR sometime soon.
Century Arms imported my Star, and I have nothing but praise for that weapon.Again, Century does not manufacture any of these.

They do not have a special program where they purposefully screw with each and every gun they import.

Nautilus
February 6, 2011, 08:52 AM
I've owner 20+ century guns. About half of them were just imported by century.. and I had no complaints. The other half were century modified or century built. I can't say I had no complaints about any of them... but I never really had any major complaints, mostly just little quality control issues that didn't effect reliability. I did buy one new Century M70 that was a jam-o-matic, it was just a dirty, fouled up gas port/valve. I sent it back to them and I had it back in less than 2 weeks, cleaned up and 100% reliable.

I have 10's of thousands of rounds fired through century built guns and for the $$$$$ spent I have very few complaints. I also think the quality coming out of Century has gotten much better over the last few years, the early WASR's almost all had pretty seriously canted sights, possibly the worst triggers I've ever seen on any gun and the magwells opened up so much you could almost fit two mags in... while the newer rifles are not immune from these kind of issue's the average quality of stuff coming out of the Century monkey shop has vastly improved.

crazyivan
February 6, 2011, 12:10 PM
I saw a RPD at a gun store. It was imported by CAI. It was a 7.62x39 but they stamped on it 7.62x54R!.

If you do your research and look before you buy you can get good stuff from them.
You have to admit that they sell stuff at low prices compared to other companies, but just make sure you get one that works.

BushyGuy
February 6, 2011, 12:18 PM
CAi carries good guns, they sure know where to find the good stuff! i have a WASR GP 10/63 its a excellent gun! I am very happy with it!

Shear_stress
February 6, 2011, 12:20 PM
I saw a RPD at a gun store. It was imported by CAI. It was a 7.62x39 but they stamped on it 7.62x54R!.

If you do your research and look before you buy you can get good stuff from them.

I'm not trying to single you out, but this post captures the confusion about Century. As pointed out, they are an importer, a manufacturer (to use the term loosely), and a company that contracts out manufacturing work to others. Because they've had so many irons in the fire for so long, it's ridiculous to condemn Century based on any single gun. They've imported good guns and crap, made good guns and crap, and had made good guns and crap.

As sold, that RPD wasn't "imported by Century". More likely it was imported as a complete machine gun, torched into a parts kit and then reassembled by a subcontractor like Wiselite on a U.S.-made semi auto-only receiver.

az_imuth
February 6, 2011, 05:51 PM
I guess I was one of the lucky ones when I purchased my CETME from them back when they first came out. I received one built on a stainless reciever with a mint barrel that is quite accurate. I've never had a moments trouble from that rifle. I also have one of their Yugo M70AB2 rifles that has been 100%.

Doc Zeigler
April 10, 2011, 01:12 AM
I have a Century Gp1975 and i absolutly love it!! everything i wanted in an AK! military parts rebuild on american reciever and barrel...shoots fast and accurate, eats any ammo..it's fave is 1970's yugo corrosive ammo{ the brass cased stuff} eats it up...just clean w/ water after shooting any corrosive ammo!!!

451 Detonics
April 10, 2011, 07:26 AM
Century has been around a long time and when I owned my gunshop we bought quite a few guns from them. My policy with any milsurp gun was simple, within a week of them being shipped to my shop I would test fire them. In 20 years of doing business with them I doubt I returned a dozen guns for work. There are a couple of companies doing business online that do the same thing today, I have seen them advertise their CIA guns as test fired and guaranteed.

Currently the only CIA gun I own is the one with the worst record, the CETME. I didn't buy it from CIA but from an individual for cheap. I added a 65 dollar bolt and a couple rollers and I have a rifle that hasn't stuttered in over 1000 rounds. Most of the problems I have seen with Century guns have been very simple cures such as cleaning gas systems and such. If the one year warranty bothers you order the gun is yourself so you will have the full year to find any problems and get them fixed.

ironhead7544
April 10, 2011, 09:16 AM
I have an early CIA Tantal with a US made barrel. It slugs .224 with a 1 in 7.7 twist. Shoots 30 inch groups with all keyholes at 25 yards, 60 gr Wolf ammo. The 70 gr Wolf is better with about 50 % keyholes. The Wolf bullets measure .220 to .221. The Hornady ammo with copper jackets rather than steel works OK with a cool barrel.

I have made up some handloads using primed cases from Wolf ammo and the 75 gr A-max bullets. These are very accurate and I think any heavy .224 bullet should work OK.

Century refuses to replace the barrels on these rifles so slug the bore before buying one. I heard the new ones have a proper bore and rifling for steel jackets but be aware of the problem. My rifling has six grooves and the new ones have 4 so thats one way to check.

nathan
April 10, 2011, 09:50 AM
I still have my 2002 SAR 1 Romanian AK. ALmost 1000 rds into it and is going strong. Its just being broken in .

Mxracer239y
April 10, 2011, 10:51 AM
I for one truly enjoy my egyptian 8mm FN49.

Lets be honest, its hard NOT to love an FN-49, no matter where it came from!

merlinfire
April 10, 2011, 10:54 AM
I <3 my WASR.

But then, I knew what to look for and what common problems to avoid.

mshootnit
April 10, 2011, 11:46 AM
ironhead, did you just pull bullets to get your primed cases?

rocinante
April 10, 2011, 11:57 AM
Lets be honest, its hard NOT to love an FN-49, no matter where it came from!

Amen brother. Still trying to fabricate up a decent scope mount though :(

Liberty1776
April 10, 2011, 02:02 PM
Let's be real clear - and as several members have mentioned this. There are two main groups of Century guns. 1. The imports - these are fine, (Heck, they even imported S&W Model 39-2 pistols, and these are generally good buys) and 2. the hideous drunk monkey builds. I've owned some of each, and won't buy a gun from Category 2 again.

SpentCasing
April 10, 2011, 02:12 PM
i refuse to support a company that knowingly produces such trash. if you got a good one and love it, great, more for you. But as a craftsman myself who takes pride in his work, this type of practice just personally irks me. FWIW i have owned Century imports and 922r work overs. Craftsmanship was abysmal on both ends. Just MHO, Id rather have one quality machine than 2 or 3 half-a$$ed ones totaling same value. YMMV.

rocinante
April 10, 2011, 03:32 PM
Why do you century bashers have to be so LOUD and viscous? Just trying to save some other poor soul from the evil corporation? Don't like the company or their products fine but how often does the magpie caws have to sound? So you gave up on them years ago. Wow whoopy dooo.

I liked my vz2008 enough to order another one. A rifle that has a u.s. receiver and u.s. barrel and u.s. assembly, the classic poster child of drunk monkey creativity. Oh the trials and tribulations just getting the things to fire!!!! Wait they both run like clocks. Hmm. THE CANTED SIGHTS, THE KEYHOLING, THE UGLY FINISH!!! No no and no. Good guns for a good price. I challenge any of you experts to examine either rifle and come up with any valid criticism as a P.O.S. The only trash I am aware of is TRASH TALK. Even to a "craftsman" he might appreciate a machinist with 30 years experience praising the art that is the vz2008 receiver. Oh I forget you haven't actually seen one have you? Even their infamous customer service is getting good feedback from guys that have had minor problems. Bet that just shocks you into a coma.

Every company and especially every company that deals in volume produces a lemon or a horror story or two. Just because someone says they like something doesn't mean it is your moral mandatory righteous obligation to yell it is crap. I started this thread. If you don't like century start another. I am sure you will be warmly received and get plenty of me too tooting there.

I am special :)

Mr.Davis
April 10, 2011, 03:57 PM
I'd have no problem purchasing a gun Century simply imported and resold, but I've heard so many horror stories about the guns they work on that I would never risk my time and money on one.

I'm sorry if that offends any happy Century owners, but the sheer volume and severity of complaints I see about their guns dwarfs even complaints about Bryco, Jennings, and Davis junk guns.

A personal thank you from me to all those who have loudly and repeatedly shared the stories of money wasted on Century guns. You have saved me from wasting my money.

rocinante
April 10, 2011, 05:00 PM
So squeaky wheels drowns out the silent majority. I once went to a brave's game twenty years ago and they lost. I'll never make that mistake again even if they MIGHT be having a good season. Why take a chance?

Mr Davis so the only experience you have is hearsay? Uh uh. ALLELUIA MR DAVIS HAS BEEN SAVED !!!!!!!

Sorry I just find the whole downer dogma a little overblown and OLD and more than a tad condescending and downright rude. Continue the carping. It is almost as interesting as listening to polka or rap music. Geez I feel like such a daredevil and fool being happy with crap :)

Mr.Davis
April 11, 2011, 11:38 PM
So squeaky wheels drowns out the silent majority. I once went to a brave's game twenty years ago and they lost. I'll never make that mistake again even if they MIGHT be having a good season. Why take a chance?

Mr Davis so the only experience you have is hearsay? Uh uh. ALLELUIA MR DAVIS HAS BEEN SAVED !!!!!!!

Sorry I just find the whole downer dogma a little overblown and OLD and more than a tad condescending and downright rude. Continue the carping. It is almost as interesting as listening to polka or rap music. Geez I feel like such a daredevil and fool being happy with crap :)

I don't appreciate your condescension.

There are too many good guns made by reputable companies for me to waste my time on a brand with such an awful reputation. Do you think word of mouth is an invalid way to judge a product?

Far be it from me to insult a man's gun. I'm glad you like yours. But I will not be joining you in the Century owners club.

Ignition Override
April 12, 2011, 04:28 AM
The vast numbers of bad reports with older Century CETMEs quickly persuaded this hard-headed guy to instead pursue a semi-auto military rifle marketed by an excellent 'company': a Garand via the CMP (last summer).

The newer rifles by Century are reported to be much better, but how many older, malfunctioning CETMEs are floating around gun shops and shows etc?

There was no reason to really gamble with my $595 plus tax ('Service Grade' Garand), but am happy that many of you guys' Century etc rifles need no modification or major repair. If you also have low-cost ammo, you are most fortunate.

It would be encouraging to read that the vast majority of Century C-93s (.223) are quite reliable (with Wolf ammo?), because military/police units around the world use a very similar version, and they are very appealing.

mrnic3guy1989
September 20, 2011, 12:41 AM
I recently purchased a wasr 10/63 gp and after cleaning of the packsgin grease n sum oiling I took it to the range. Me and a frie d of mine shot over 150 rou ds through it right outta the box and the only complaint I have is no front sight tool or cleaning rod. The gun looks good shots good but it was high to the left but tommorow it'll be all good I got the the elevation tool a tasco "don't recomend" and a little macgyvering with a c clamp will fix the windage.

mrnic3guy1989
September 20, 2011, 12:43 AM
P.S. The monkey pic had me rotfl

mongo4567
September 20, 2011, 02:01 AM
I have had a lot of Century imports and builds. I haven't had any real problems with any of them...I had a couple of bad mags (cheap plastic ak mags) that I just threw away. I've heard of some problems, but they usually make it right quickly. I also like that they very accurately rate their milsurps, unlike another large wholesaler that I can think of.

6x6pinz
September 20, 2011, 05:13 AM
I can't even begin to count the number of CAI firearms I have owned. The only one that was ever a problem was a WASR AK. When converting it from single stack to double stack the mag hole was cut in at an angle to the receiver and the mag stiffeners were completely ground away. It was just easier to tig the stiffeners back in place and remake the mag opening. The rifle worked great when done and is still going strong.
CAI would do well to pay a little more attention to their subcontractors but at least we have the firearms here to complain about.

amd6547
September 20, 2011, 05:19 AM
My Century Cetme has been flawless through about 500 rounds....
But, when I was looking for a 5.45 rifle, I skipped on the Century Tantal due to the rifling confusion and their warranty.
I would have been willing to take a chance if I knew Century would stand behind it.
The "year from when it leaves Century" warranty is unconscionable.

Dazen
September 20, 2011, 05:26 AM
That monkey in the pic was the one that welded up my CETME. The rifle itself shot good with out any malfunctions but those DAM WELDS!!! I just couldn't look at it any longer so i sold the gun. Once more i have never seen such big globs of nasty welds in my life.

mrnic3guy1989
September 21, 2011, 03:03 PM
After praising my WASR 10/63 GP I took it to the range the very next day and guess what? The pin through the trigger assemble kept coming loose and falling out. The gun even fired in bursts I was like ***! So anyway I bought a screw which was the appropraite size fattened it to fit properly and the threw some locktight on it and im gonna take her out again ASAP. If I have another problem I'll never buy century again but boy I'll tell you what that FN FAL looks mighty pertty.

Nicky Santoro
September 21, 2011, 03:21 PM
I must be special. I love my Century Arms gun

Not so much special as lucky, based upon my experiences being 0 for 2.
FWIW
YMMV

rocinante
September 21, 2011, 10:24 PM
wow my old thread rises from the grave. so far I am 5 to 0 pleased, 3 imports, 2 us builds.

If you enjoyed reading about "I must be special. I love my Century Arms gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!