Question on sighting in

PDA

brotus2
February 5, 2011, 04:19 PM
I just had catarac and inplant surgery so I can't sight my new rifle in. Can my buddy sight it in and would that have any effect because we, obviously, have different eye sight?????

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on sighting in" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
xfyrfiter
February 5, 2011, 04:24 PM
He can get a zero on it, but you will still have to make minor adjustments when you are able to shoot. If done right it won't be very far off.

JohnM
February 5, 2011, 04:24 PM
How did the cataract surgery affect you?
I'm supposed to get it done next summer.

rcmodel
February 5, 2011, 04:29 PM
I agree, it won't be exact if your buddy does it.

But it would certainly be close enough for goobermint work on 250 yard deer or something.

If 500 yard prairie dogs are on the menu, you will have to fine-tune it yourself.

rc

Fremmer
February 5, 2011, 04:31 PM
Yep, if it'll hold zero for your friend, it'll be close enough for deer huntin'.

matrem
February 5, 2011, 06:30 PM
Assuming it's a scope sight in, and both of you are fairly experienced scoped rifle shooters, each of you should be easily in the same MOA.
I would certainly hope you heal enough that you can at least fire a test round or two, and your next shot doesn't have to be at fur.

Al Thompson
February 5, 2011, 06:31 PM
Yes and no. Some people have wildly different zeros. Buddy of mine has a severely different zero than most folks. Husband and wife I know tried to buy one rifle & scope for both the use. Turns out there's about 10 inches worth of difference between their zeros. :(

p5200
February 5, 2011, 07:06 PM
How did the cataract surgery affect you? I'm interested in that myself, since I'm going to have to have that done too. :)

prid93
February 5, 2011, 08:25 PM
Was just at the range today with a new .22. I sighted in the irons to be perfect for me...dead center. My dads first group was tight, centered perfectly, but way high over the bull. Having someone else sight for you is fine, just expect to make some minor adjustments.
Hope the recovery goes well and you can get back to the range!

Pacsd
February 5, 2011, 08:56 PM
I had my shooting eye catarac surgery on the 17th of Sept, last year, and was on the range on the 11th of October. I went antelope hunting on the 13th of Oct. I waited alittle too long to get it done so my recovery was a little longer then the norm. I'll tell ya though, I was really apprehensive. I was scared that I was gonna knock the implant lens loose. I didn't know our little dog was THAT white and didn't remember snow being this white. I went from 20/200 to 20/25 two weeks after surgery and now I don't even have an Rx in that eye. It's unbelieveable how clear the reticles are and how sharp the targets are now. Anyway, since you asked, I would wait and get the gun dialed in yourself. Most importantly, follow your doctor's orders on wearing the patch, the dark glasses and be sure to be apply the drops in a timely manner as instucted. I'll have the other eye done this summer. Keep us posted on your recovery. You are gonna love it!!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on sighting in" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!