Do you have a 380 in your rotation ?

PDA

okc-zee
February 6, 2011, 11:38 AM
I usually split carry between a PF9 and an S&W 640...Lately,i've been entertaining the thought of picking up a 380...If not just for the sake of owning a caliber I've never owned or for ease of carry in certain circumstances...I've become a fan of 'pocket carry' lately as I have no desire to stuff anything inside my belt any longer...Does anyone here find the need to keep one in your rotation?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you have a 380 in your rotation ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Peter M. Eick
February 6, 2011, 11:41 AM
Yes, Colt Gov 380 and now a Sig 238 HD.

I used to carry a Beretta 84F but it was not much of a gain over my H&K P7PSP which is my primary carry gun.

The 380's are just easy to pick up and stuff in a pocket.

HOWARD J
February 6, 2011, 11:51 AM
I carry a Kel Tec P3AT (380) in the summer time-easy to conceal
I did carry a Walther PPK-380 for a long time.

Glock 26 -9 MM in the winter time. Fobus belt hoster.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 6, 2011, 11:55 AM
I have had excellent results with a Ruger LCP on which I installed a Crimson Trace Laser. Robert Mika (Mika Pocket Holsters) has fit me with round-cut and square-cut for each of my pocket carry guns. His prices are reasonable and I have not once pulled the gun out and had the holster come with it. I had an Uncle Mikes pocket holster that was like a velvet material. It fit the gun fine, however each time I pulled my gun from my pocket that holster would come out of the pocket, still on the gun! What good is THAT?

You may have a month or several month wait for Robert's pocket holsters, but I guarantee, the wait was worth the holster's function, fit and PRICE.

bigfatdave
February 6, 2011, 01:21 PM
Nope, I prefer .32 for my mousegunning needs and .22lr/mag for plinking ... other than that the smallest it gets is 9x19 with one 9x18 I own because it is a fun gun.

birddog
February 6, 2011, 01:25 PM
Yes, Bersa Thunder.

It's either a .357 snubbie, .45 semi auto, or the Bersa, depending on the weather, clothing, and circumstances.

cwcoolcow
February 6, 2011, 01:30 PM
Typically I carry a 9mm CZ 2075 RAMI. Have use both an OWB and an IWB holsters depending on my attire. However, during Tee Shirt times, I use my Ruger LCP with a crimson trace. Very easy to put right into my jean's pocket, front or back.

Tomcat47
February 6, 2011, 01:50 PM
Yes ! I have a Taurus PT58 HC.... And I am getting ready to purchase a Sig P238. The Sig P238 will be very concealable as was the Colt Mustang Pocketlite.

I also rotate with a Beretta .32... but .380 is my favorite carry caliber!

I also just looked at new Taurus Slim .380 single stack yesterday. It looks pretty nice, has some smooth lines (MO) and it just came out. Looks like it will ride very nice concealed! It was priced at $419.00 locally with wiggle room. It is also avail. in 9mm.

I will say that the polymer pistols are not my cup of tea, but I may get one of these? But next is the SIG!

In the past I had Bersa .380 (nice gun...walther feel)
Beretta 84 which is one of my favorites!,
Taurus PT58S (first generation)which were very reliable! I had 3 of them that functioned flawlessly!
Colt Mustang - Awesome!
Llama Micromax - Mine was flawless and I liked it very much....these I have heard varying storys on reliability? I used only federal hydrashok in mine and had NO problems at all. (like a miniature 1911)

Good luck gun shopping! Some ranges have rental guns that you cna take for a test drive...you might like that! I always say get what appeals to your eyes and you will probably shoot it well! (my 2 cents) :)

Weevil
February 6, 2011, 02:03 PM
Yes I have a Walther PK380.

I had a Browning BDA as my .380 gun but sold it to a friend who's wife was looking for something nice.

When then the .380 shortage hit I didn't really miss it but still I had few boxes of .380 around and no gun. And I actually liked shooting the BDA a lot better than those nasty little .380 pocket pistols or the brutal hand beater micro 9mm's.

So when I seen the PK380 at about the same size and with a tilting barrel instead of a blowback, and a polymer frame which I've noticed seems to soak up felt-recoil better than a solid metal frame, I figured I'd give it a try.

It is an amazingly soft shooting pistol for any gun of that size in a caliber you might consider for SD.

Now it won't fit in the watch pocket of your jeans but it will fit nicely in pocket of a coat or good sized jacket just like my BDA would.

So now I have something in .380 as one of my carry and caliber options and I can actually enjoy shooting it at the range or out plinking.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n200/srebough/100_0221.jpg

harmon rabb
February 6, 2011, 02:49 PM
Yep. I have a LCP and a 238. My usual carry is an EMP in 9mm; when clothing won't permit that, I carry my 238. On the rare occasion that clothing won't permit the 238 (tighter jeans with shallow pockets), I carry the LCP.

I think that modern jhp 380 loads will severely ruin an attacker's day.

I think anyone who carries needs to own a pocket 380. They bring the percentage of time you can carry up to 100%. There is literally never a time or place where you can't fit, say, a LCP somewhere on you (provided you can legally carry there, of course).

Airburst
February 6, 2011, 02:50 PM
Walther PPK, stainless, Interarms import.

skoro
February 6, 2011, 03:26 PM
Yes...

There are times when my P3AT is all I can easily conceal.

wow6599
February 6, 2011, 03:40 PM
LCP and Bersa Thunder

heeler
February 6, 2011, 03:45 PM
Absolutely.
Would not be without one for all the reasons mentioned previously.
Light,easily concealed,resonably enough power to ruin someones day that means you harm,cheap in price for the pistol.
The only thing I would suggest is to try and keep a stock of at least 500 rounds stored up in case we go throgh the great .380 drought of 2009 and 2010.
I think I have 850 rounds as I type this.

76shuvlinoff
February 6, 2011, 03:48 PM
When not my XD40sc I carry a Ruger LCP.

Gozer
February 6, 2011, 04:08 PM
P3AT with a Crimson Trace laser and a 'wallet-style' pocket holster. Carried in a front pocket or a cargo pocket, depending on what I'm wearing. I have had plenty of occasions where I have had to leave even my baby Glocks at home, but never the .380.

sansone
February 6, 2011, 04:15 PM
I carried a bersa 380 (walther clone) for a while and switched to a LCP.. The bersa was actually more my style but the LCP was so easy to carry I made the switch anyhow.

wally
February 6, 2011, 04:41 PM
PM40 or SC360 are my most common carry but when only the super small will do the LCP replaced my P3AT, which in turn has been mostly replaced by my S&W Bodyguard 380.

Frozen North
February 6, 2011, 04:57 PM
I had an LCP, loved how concealable it was. I HATED to shoot it, I shot it poorly, so I sold it. I sure missed having a pocket pistol, but was unwilling to go back to another P-3at clone. I picked up a Bersa Thunder 380 CC on Friday night and I think so far that these are a fantastic pistol at an incredible price.

It rides in my pocket almost as well as that LCP, it handles and shoots very well, I think it may become a favorite!

franco45
February 6, 2011, 05:10 PM
LCP and a Bersa Thunder 380 cc. As has been noted by several others the pocket 380s make it easy to carry 100% of the time.

ChristopherG
February 6, 2011, 05:17 PM
Okay, I'll buck the trend. Nope. I considered the .380 acp several years back when I started carrying and decided that anyone that scares me bad enough to need shooting, needs shooting with at least a .38.

I do enjoy pocket carry, and a lightweight j-frame (12.5 oz 340pd) pocket carries very well in every pair of pants I own. I also trust it to be more reliable than a small semi in a desperate, gross-motor-skills-only self-defense cluster-flock.

Not to deride anyone else's decision--just sharing the bases for mine and honestly answering the OP's query.

shootingthebreeze
February 6, 2011, 05:59 PM
I'm leaning more and more towards the Kahr P380.

I have a very reliable Taurus Millenium Pro .40 and a snub Rossi Revolver .38/357 also very reliable and surprisingly accurate. Both can be carried well however-

I've read more and more comments relating to how pocket .380 are virtually invisible and can basically go everywhere where appropriate. It's a go everywhere companion which is very attractive in concept.

Now quality- that has caused me to research the field and I'm favoring more and more the Kahr P380. Second, part of the research was to really look into the most effective .380 round because the .380 is pretty much on the border thus ammunition selection for the .380 is very critical.

Cor Bon makes an excellent round, JHP 90 grain; plus there are others. In a situation where there is no chance of crowds or bystanders, FMJ possibly because of its penetration power. Contemplating a .380 has forced a serious consideration on proper ammunition which will be most effective.

I have looked at both the Ruger LCP and the Kahr P380. The Kahr I would say trumps the Ruger LCP.

So yes, concealed, reliable, invisible, go everywhere firearm. Attractive concept.

kokapelli
February 6, 2011, 06:03 PM
Yes, but for me the better question would be do I have other calibers in my rotation.

Carter
February 6, 2011, 06:08 PM
Nope. My carry guns double as range guns, and .380 is too expensive for plinking.

David E
February 6, 2011, 06:11 PM
Never a .380 as a primary. No reason for only a .380.

Weevil
February 6, 2011, 07:03 PM
Okay, I'll buck the trend. Nope. I considered the .380 acp several years back when I started carrying and decided that anyone that scares me bad enough to need shooting, needs shooting with at least a .38.

Ooookay.....

You feel confident with a .38 but don't think the .380 is adaquate?

What's the difference???

Same diameter bullet.

.380 launches a 90 or 95 gr. bullet at about 1000 fps. and delivers right around 200ft lbs of energy.

The .38 spl launches a 110 gr at about a 1000 fps and delivers about 230ft lbs of energy
or a 125 gr bullet at 800 fps and about 180ft lbs

Now it does have a the heavy 148 or 158 gr bullets but these still only deliver about 200ft lbs of energy to the target and are way too slow for using an HP that will expand reliably.

I guess I'm missing something.

What is it that makes you feel the .38 is a more effective round???

MICHAEL T
February 6, 2011, 08:51 PM
IWB, Bersa Thunder .PPK/S
Pocket carry Colt Mustang , KelTec

19-3Ben
February 6, 2011, 08:54 PM
LCP in my pocket as I type this. Been there since I first put my pants on this morning.

ChristopherG
February 6, 2011, 08:55 PM

My .38 carry round is a speer 135 gr. gold dot made for short barrel revolvers. It makes 825-850 fps from my j-frame. It's got a bullet profile that would never feed in a semi and one that I trust to perform as designed (read: great gaping hole in the front):

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=738035

100 grains is about the upper limit AFAIK for .380, and I just don't trust a 100 grain bullet to penetrate adequately (in either a .380 or a .38). Kinetic energy calculations don't produce adequate penetration: the right bullet does.

The ballistic difference, I'll grant you, is not huge. But in my thinking, the greater freedom of bullet design (think hollowpoint lead semiwadcutter--which, BTW, is a 158 gr bullet that will expand pretty reliably from a snub--or the extreme design of my GoldDots) and the greater bullet weight (/sectional density) give a significant edge to the .38. For others, I realize, the calculus is different; and the edge in concealability enjoyed by the .380 (which I'll grant without argument) is perhaps a 'tipping point' for them. For me, the .38 is the ballistic ground floor for a SD cartridge, and the .380 does not quite equal it.

aryfrosty
February 6, 2011, 08:59 PM
Yes, I do and really like my Sig P238. It carries well and is dependable. With judicious choices in ammunition it will do anything I need it to do. It dresses up nice, too. I bought a nice set of "Horned Lizard" grips and it already has everything else it needs.

451 Detonics
February 6, 2011, 09:02 PM
With the size of the PF-9 I see no need to go to a smaller caliber for pocket carry. With a decent pocket holster, I use one from Tuff Products, it fits well enough in all of my pant's pockets. Plus I have been known to use a belly band on occasion.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/handguns/pf9holster.jpg

kokapelli
February 6, 2011, 09:04 PM
Ooookay.....

You feel confident with a .38 but don't think the .380 is adaquate?

What's the difference???

Same diameter bullet.

.380 launches a 90 or 95 gr. bullet at about 1000 fps. and delivers right around 200ft lbs of energy.

The .38 spl launches a 110 gr at about a 1000 fps and delivers about 230ft lbs of energy
or a 125 gr bullet at 800 fps and about 180ft lbs

Now it does have a the heavy 148 or 158 gr bullets but these still only deliver about 200ft lbs of energy to the target and are way too slow for using an HP that will expand reliably.

I guess I'm missing something.

Energy in these calibers is irrelevant.

Weevil
February 6, 2011, 09:07 PM
ChristopherG,

Yeah I'll agree the .38 does offer a greater variety of bullet options.

And they are a bit heavier but I don't know as I would go so far as to consider them as having a "significant" edge over a .380.

Personally I consider them both pretty anemic and basically in the same class and would much rather have a 9mm or .357 magnum which actually do have what I consider a significant edge.

I guess we all have our own bottom line though.

ChristopherG
February 6, 2011, 09:14 PM
I guess we all have our own bottom line though.

Exactly

Weevil
February 6, 2011, 09:14 PM
Energy in these calibers is irrelevant.

Ooookay......

So since .380 and .38 spl are using the same diameter bullet at virtually the same velocity and only slightly different bullet weights then what makes one more effective than the other???

So if energy is irrelevant then what's the point of using a .357 magnum instead of a .38 spl???

Or are you saying there is no difference between these two calibers as far as their effectiveness???

tomwalshco
February 6, 2011, 09:22 PM
Kel-Tec P3AT - pocket carry mainly.
Kahr P380 - all other times I need tiny.

Like them both very much - very reliable and accurate, really. Kel-Tec will feed anything, Kahr pickier with the russian lacquer coated stuff.

Like the P380 because I have 2 other Kahrs and the triggers identical on all. Important for accuracy and follow ups. Kinda like Glocks.

Don't feel undergunned with a 380, but prefer larger when possible.

kokapelli
February 6, 2011, 09:59 PM
Ooookay......

So since .380 and .38 spl are using the same diameter bullet at virtually the same velocity and only slightly different bullet weights then what makes one more effective than the other???

So if energy is irrelevant then what's the point of using a .357 magnum instead of a .38 spl???

Or are you saying there is no difference between these two calibers as far as their effectiveness???
357 higher velocities increases bullet performance in respect to penetraption and expansion. Once we get to 9 mm there is a clear edge in performance over the 38 and 380 rounds.

IMO 38 spl has a slight edge over 380, but not enough so for me to want to carry a thicker, larger, heavier and slower to reload five shot revolver. Not to mention that I don't shoot snubbies that accurately.

Caliper_RWVA
February 6, 2011, 09:59 PM
Does anyone here find the need to keep one in your rotation?

Nope. Costs more than 9mm for less bang. My PF9 is plenty concealable and nicer to shoot than the P3AT I rented, although pocket carry does require the right pants (cargo pants of khakis).

Weevil
February 6, 2011, 10:32 PM
357 higher velocities increases bullet performance in respect to penetraption and expansion. Once we get to 9 mm there is a clear edge in performance over the 38 and 380 rounds.

IMO 38 spl has a slight edge over 380, but not enough so for me to want to carry a thicker, larger, heavier and slower to reload five shot revolver. Not to mention that I don't shoot snubbies that accurately.

Okay I see what you're saying and I agree.

Both are too low velocity to reliably expand and get good deep penetration, and even with an expanding bullet you're not gonna get much of an "energy dump" with these low power calibers anyway.

That's why I only use FMJ in these two calibers and for all practical purposes there is no difference between them when using FMJ. Same size hole and both will most likely get through and through penetration with FMJ.

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
February 6, 2011, 11:57 PM
P3AT to match the Sigma 40, and PT1911 in .45

halfmoonclip
February 7, 2011, 12:43 AM
Hard to argue with the all-the-time convenience of pocket carry, tho' I would counsel a pocket holster, and nothing else in the pocket.

I also like the simplicity of double action only. I've been using the LCP, and recently picked up a Kahr P380. Prefer the Kahr for sights, trigger and ergonomics, tho' I did have some teething troubles with it. Use the Gold Dots in either; they have a good rep for reliability, decent expansion and penetration, but don't tend to fragment and break up.
Moon

arizona98tj
February 7, 2011, 01:21 AM
Nope.

I have a Kahr PM9 (http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/pm9/pm9-6.jpg) and it is the smallest I carry. I've no desire to go smaller and I like using my regular 9mm range ammo for the PM9 when it comes time to practice.

makarovnik
February 7, 2011, 08:24 AM
I have three .380's and two .32's

Ben86
February 7, 2011, 08:31 AM
I carry a Ruger LCP in my pocket occasionally, with a spare magazine in my left pocket.

PRM
February 7, 2011, 08:42 AM

REAPER4206969
February 7, 2011, 08:47 AM
Yes.

Jeff Scott
February 7, 2011, 08:55 AM
Ruger LCP with Crimson Trace Laser in an Uncle Mike's #2 pocket holster = comfortable all day carry option.

iblong
February 7, 2011, 09:08 AM
Yes I have a P3AT and its been 100%,but its what I carry when I cant carry a pistol.I do not carry it verry often as a primary but it does have its place.
And I'll always have it around.

herbertj
February 7, 2011, 09:41 AM
yes p3at.

Simmy952
February 7, 2011, 09:49 AM
I switch between a Sig P238 & a DB380.

shootingthebreeze
February 7, 2011, 01:19 PM
I have checked out again today the Kahr P380 and it is a really nice pistol-so that's where I'm going eventually soon.
I guess there is a consistent feeling here that bigger is better which is not necessarily true. The .380 can deliver provided the right ammunition is selected. I believe that a .380 can be used as a primary with confidence as long a one has spent some time at the range with it.
Yes, I like my .45 and my .40 but I think I would carry the Kahr P380 most of the time.

verdun59
February 7, 2011, 01:49 PM
The Kahr P380 is a very good choice. Smooth trigger and a soft shooter, in fact you can actually practice with it without getting the sore hand syndrome. Don't be misled by the fact that everybody in America claims to pocket carry a 1911...... Kahr P380 head and shoulders above the others.

shootingthebreeze
February 7, 2011, 02:03 PM
Verdun, my choice with the Kahr P380 has come after a two month search and research. A little more expensive but as far as quality, it's a nice pistol. I like the grip as well.

kokapelli
February 7, 2011, 02:08 PM
The Kahr P380 is a very good choice. Smooth trigger and a soft shooter, in fact you can actually practice with it without getting the sore hand syndrome. Don't be misled by the fact that everybody in America claims to pocket carry a 1911...... Kahr P380 head and shoulders above the others.
You haven't shot a P238 have you?

Hanshi
February 7, 2011, 02:14 PM
A .380? Yes.

Ben86
February 7, 2011, 03:24 PM
You haven't shot a P238 have you?

I have, and they are fantastic. They only have about 1/4 of the felt recoil of my LCP.

Mad Magyar
February 7, 2011, 03:35 PM
Usually when an impromtu trip to the local "shop & rob" store for chips & drinks...Real handy in the summer for pocket or lght jacket carry; never had to holster one yet, and don't get me started on pocket holsters...:)

verdun59
February 7, 2011, 04:40 PM
Kokapelli no I haven't shot the P238. Somehow the cocked and locked thing in my pocket just doesn't appeal to me. I'm sure it's a fine gun. Since I got rid of my DE Micro, I'm down to just two 380s , the Kahr P380 and my Colt Pony Pocketlite which I might sell. Do you still have the DE Micro ?

Nushif
February 7, 2011, 04:49 PM
My K9 is missing a rather integral piece right now so yes ... I am carrying a .380 thunder right.
Nice little gun. I don't care much for the funky tapered look on the pistol, but it has a decent trigger (NOT AS GOOD AS MY KAHR! WAAAH!) and hides well.

kokapelli
February 7, 2011, 05:18 PM
Kokapelli no I haven't shot the P238. Somehow the cocked and locked thing in my pocket just doesn't appeal to me. I'm sure it's a fine gun. Since I got rid of my DE Micro, I'm down to just two 380s , the Kahr P380 and my Colt Pony Pocketlite which I might sell. Do you still have the DE Micro ?
Yes I still have my Micro DE because it has been 100% reliable, but it sure is not fun to shoot.

The reason I asked if you had shot a P238 is because you said the P380 was heads and shoulders above the rest. I recently had the opportunity to shoot the P380 and it is a nice pistol to shoot but IMO the P238 is a superior shooting pistol.

If I felt uncomfortable with a single action trigger pistol for pocket carry I would probably opt for the P380 but having shot both I'm happier with the little Sig.

My current pocket pistol stable below is made up of pistols that have all been very reliable and the rest are long gone.......

http://ompldr.org/vNzd6Mw/Pocket%20pistols.jpg

RinkRat
February 8, 2011, 12:37 AM
Been looking to get a pocket rocket and wrestling with the decision of getting a .380 LCP 6 rounds or a 9mm FP9 7 rounds or maybe even a P11 10 rounds with its 15 round backup mags available.

I could almost get a G26 but itís a little but not too much bigger then what Iím looking to get next. But with the new LC9 starting to show up and the P290 and CM9 coming out soon, but to get one of those new releases Iíd like to also wait to let the dust and got ah have it pricing settle, so Iím going to try and wait a few weeks. But I want to do it soon, but Iíd rather have a 9mm then a .380 since they are so close in size and I can pocket one of those 9mmís in most of my shorts and some of my pants.

But I might just break down and get the LCP to have a pocket pistol now for those needed light carry days and if need be I can always use it to trade in for an up-grade. Any convincing thoughts??

STL73
February 8, 2011, 12:57 AM
Yes, a Ruger LCP, but only as a secondary to my .45

heeler
February 8, 2011, 01:00 AM
Rinkrat the micro 9mm's though some what close in size to the micro 380's it's still pretty much no cigar in over all size but more so weight.
I have a Diamondback 380 and a newly aquired Kahr PM9 as my comparison.
And the Kahr is pretty neat but the 380 is more times than not more concealable especially in summer clothing and tight fitting clothing.

jpwilly
February 8, 2011, 01:16 AM
Just a couple LCP's, little ankle biters! :D

Lefty Wright
February 8, 2011, 01:19 AM
No. Dumped the 380's and went with a P32 Keltec, and small 9's

shootingthebreeze
February 8, 2011, 11:18 AM
Mad Magyar your comment is interesting relating to pocket holsters.

Israeli Mossad, as I understand from many books I have read carry their weapons "naked" so that they have instant access to their firearms. I would think that pocket hoslsters do 2 things-prevent lint buildup in the weapon and avoid an accidental discharge (most .380s have no safety). I would say that safety is the reason for holsters but could also delay access as well.

Ben86
February 8, 2011, 11:24 AM
Israeli Mossad, as I understand from many books I have read carry their weapons "naked" so that they have instant access to their firearms.

That way of thinking is so silly to me. They don't exactly have instant access because 1- It's without a holster and may be oriented in some odd position and 2- The guns not even chambered, so they have to take time to chamber a round. I know the Israelis are bad a$$, but their belief in keeping a gun unchambered is just nonsensical to me. Keep it chambered and in a good holster and you'll be fine.

Water-Man
February 8, 2011, 11:29 AM
Kel-Tec P3AT. Has fed seven different types of HPs without a problem but I carry Buffalo Bore 100gr. +P Hardcast FN which it also feeds just fine too.

Just One Shot
February 8, 2011, 11:59 AM
It's a S&W Bodygaurd .380 for me when I can't take one of my bigger CCWs along. I had an LCP but I sold it to get the S&W. There was nothing wrong with the LCP, I just like the added features of the S&W. Things like last round slide lock, dual strike capability and actual sights as opposed to a couple of bumps in the slide. Plus, the built in laser is a nice bonus. Now that S&W has dropped the price on them you can pick one up for $349.99 + tax. That's not bad considering all the features it has.

shootingthebreeze
February 8, 2011, 12:09 PM
Ben, depending on the type of clothes they wear that keep the weapon well oriented. Juist a thought based on what I have read. However, I do favor holsters for the 2 reasons given.

TexasBill
February 8, 2011, 12:15 PM
Walther PK380 and Beretta 84FS Cheetah. Both are great. If I really need pocket carry, it's a S&W M637 Airweight.

gym
February 8, 2011, 12:16 PM
Ditto on lcp unckle mikes, and it goes along as a companion, not the opening act.

DeltaKilo
February 8, 2011, 12:22 PM
.380 Is a decent backup gun, but I wouldn't trust it for primary defense if I had any other choice.

Dr_B
February 8, 2011, 12:49 PM
I had a Bersa Thunder for while. Was a nice-shooting gun but a little large for summer carry. So I went with the LCP for those times when I need something really small that I can hide easily. I shoot well with it, but it's a second choice back up. My main back up is a snubby .38. LCP is cool though; easy to carry and shoot. Only had one failure to eject on the range out of about 200 rounds.

MisterMike
February 8, 2011, 01:24 PM
My P238 has become my "almost all the time" carry. After experiencing the ease of pocket carry, it's hard to deal with the issues of carrying something larger, even something like a Glock 26 . . . the next step up for me.

AirForceShooter
February 8, 2011, 01:33 PM
.380 Bersa and a J Frame .38

AFS

shootingthebreeze
February 8, 2011, 01:55 PM
delta, I would have to diasagree as far as the .380 not being a primary.

Most defensive engagements will be 10 feet or less. Using a 90 grain bullet like Cor Bon .380 90 grain JHP will be quite effective, and a FMJ will even be more due to its increased penetration power.

We're talking about a bullet which will be traveling at 1000 foot per second.

DAdams
February 8, 2011, 01:55 PM
Seecamp .380 or a M&P 340 J Frame is my typical rotation. I'm trying to put the Kahr PM9 back in the mix.

DAdams
February 8, 2011, 01:58 PM
for pocket or lght jacket carry; never had to holster one yet, and don't get me started on pocket holsters

Don't get me started on pocket carrying w/o a holster. ;)

czrami9
February 8, 2011, 02:08 PM
Yes, I pocket carry a MR micro eagle in a leather holster I ordered from magnum research. Gun has been flawless, but it is PAINFUL to shoot.

5-SHOTS
February 9, 2011, 12:46 PM
Yes, Colt Government 380 MK IV Series '80. I'm at 800 rounds with it.

gtd
February 9, 2011, 11:10 PM
I have a .40, two .380s (Bersa Thunder and Kel-Tec P3-AT), plus a couple of .32 revolvers.

The .40 stays nearby, and I'd like to have it if needed. I like the Bersa Thunder, because it's light and accurate. I trust the two .32 revolvers. But the P3-AT is always in my pocket -- always.

jiminhobesound
February 9, 2011, 11:23 PM
I have a CZ82 which I really like but is too big for pocket carry. Take a look at the sccy cpx 9mm. I hear very little about it but they are resolving early production problemsl and you might be surprised at what you get for your money, 18 ounces empty, 10+1 rounds and a grip you can grip. This gun is made in Daytona Beach, Florida and it fits the requirement for 24/7 carry in the Florida climate. My primary criterion is light weight in a major caliber and then small size.

Paulgibs
February 10, 2011, 12:31 AM
I carry the Kahr P380 about 90% of the time, and the PM9 when wardrobe permits. The wife carries the Micro Desert Eagle wherever she goes.

AWorthyOpponent
February 10, 2011, 02:16 AM
I did have the Ruger LCP, but I didn't like the trigger (or Bill Ruger). Liked it less and less the more I shot it...It was reliable tho. I only wore it over summer when all I had on was a tee shirt and shorts...

exavid
February 10, 2011, 02:50 AM
I carry a Ruger SR9 when the weather's cold and I have a coat. The rest of the time I usually have either my Ruger LCP or a Taurus TCP. It took a good bit of range time to get reasonable ability with the little mouseguns but they will do a decent job. I can usually put a full magazine through a paper plate at 50' with either though the Taurus gets slightly tighter groups due to it's better trigger. I've put several hundred rounds through both guns and find them both to be reliable and accurate for what they are. I really like these small pistols because they are so easy to carry even when wearing shorts and tee shirts in the summer. I practice weekly at our local gun club's indoor range to try to get better with both guns and maintain what skill I have. I don't mind shooting 50 rounds at a time in either gun, not as comfortable as my SR9 for range work but not bad either. I do have the extended magazine shoe that came with my LCP but don't need one on the TCP. Considering how many people got done in in the late 1800s with cap and ball .36 Colts I think the .380 is sufficiently powerful to do the job in anything short of a gang war. If you can put the shot where it needs to go it will do.

Ben86
February 10, 2011, 03:08 PM
I don't mind shooting 50 rounds at a time in either gun, not as comfortable as my SR9 for range work but not bad either.

You ought to try out a pachmyr tactical grip sleeve on your LCP, it improved my LCP's grip very much. It even has slight palm swells, so that the grip is not as thin as an eggo waffle.

exavid
February 10, 2011, 03:17 PM
I tried a grip sleeve on the LCP but didn't like it because it had a tendency to drag on my pocket when pulling the pistol out.

OleCodger
February 11, 2011, 12:24 AM
Carry a Ruger LCP in a Nemesis holster.....only complaint is that the mag release releases the mag with fairly tight fitting jeans........not good in a defensive situation (and Ruger says they don't have a fix).....

exavid
February 11, 2011, 02:58 AM
Larger or relaxed fit jeans?

bigfatdave
February 11, 2011, 03:08 AM
Build up around the release a bit with epoxy / putty?

I'd glue on a washer with elmer's as a test.

DC3-CVN-72
February 11, 2011, 03:13 AM
Not yet. :)

dusty14u
February 11, 2011, 09:10 AM
Like the OP I have a PF9 and see absolutely no need to have a .380. Why would I go down in caliber when I have a gun that is able to be pocket carried and is reliable? I reload and don't see any advantage the .380 could bring to the table in my situation.

shootingthebreeze
February 11, 2011, 11:06 AM
dusty, still sold on the Kahr P380 a fine quality pistol which I think I will probably carry 90% of the time.

Ben86
February 11, 2011, 12:40 PM
Carry a Ruger LCP in a Nemesis holster.....only complaint is that the mag release releases the mag with fairly tight fitting jeans........not good in a defensive situation (and Ruger says they don't have a fix).....

Ditch your girly skinny jeans and get some relaxed fit jeans. :D Just kidding.

As a rule of thumb the pocket of a pair of jeans has to have enough room for me to comfortably make a fist inside and pull it out. If it's too tight, it's a no go. They also have to be deep enough to fit up to my wrist at a minimum. I've also got a pair that is too deep and I practically have to plunge half my arm into the pocket to retrieve something, that's not good either.

ColdDeadHand
February 11, 2011, 01:00 PM
I used to pack a cheap little .380 in my back jeans pocked when I did construction. IWB and OWB really conflict with a tool belt in a bad way.

Come to think of it, I should have a .380 but I don't.

Thanks for putting one more thing on my list of stuff to buy, man.

OleCodger
February 11, 2011, 01:17 PM
Just want you to know that it's a weight problem ..... I went on a diet last month and so far it's working.....only gained 5 pounds in the last 30 days! Can't wait for spring to appear on the horizon...will never again complain about having to mow the yard.

exavid
February 11, 2011, 01:27 PM
Ah yes... entropy has mass. I've noticed that the clothes in my closet are getting smaller. I thought that when the universe expanded they would too but apparently that's not the case.

temmi
February 11, 2011, 06:33 PM
no, never

Weevil
February 11, 2011, 08:13 PM
Instead of a pair of Jeans try some cargo pants and use the cargo pocket.

Jeans are just so '80s anyway.

:D

Sauer Grapes
February 11, 2011, 10:13 PM
No!I understand why some do, I'm not one of them.

Weevil
February 11, 2011, 11:59 PM
Easy there guy!

It's just a type of ammo for guns not the anti-Christ.

:D

mr-mom
February 12, 2011, 12:03 AM
G19 IWB & P238 in pocket.
mr-mom

orionengnr
February 12, 2011, 12:11 AM
...but not in the carry rotation.

I own an LCP, but only carry it if I'm too sick to get out of the house, and barely out of bed.

Since it is my policy to carry whenever I am out of bed, the LCP is a viable alternative for those rare instances.

For the other 363-364 days of the year, I can (and do) carry something that starts with a .4. :)

ajbeau
February 12, 2011, 12:18 AM
LCP +++++

ajbeau
February 12, 2011, 12:23 AM
try different holster....i use a remorse

Litlman
February 13, 2011, 11:53 AM
Interarms Walther PPKS pops in every once in a while. Also have a FEG SMC but have not put it through the paces yet. Want a Berreta 84/85 or the Browning version.

Ben86
February 14, 2011, 03:17 PM
Jeans are just so '80s anyway.

I thought cargo pants were so 80s. :p Especially cargo jeans, aka "carpenter pants," or cargo jean shorts. Yikes.

Just want you to know that it's a weight problem ..... I went on a diet last month and so far it's working.....only gained 5 pounds in the last 30 days! Can't wait for spring to appear on the horizon...will never again complain about having to mow the yard.

Hey, 5 pounds isn't bad. Now only if you can cut it down to -5 you'll be in business. :D Good luck, loosing weight is really hard in this sedentary, food rich environment, but it is well worth it.

smirnoff a
February 16, 2011, 09:05 PM
A bunch

karle
February 16, 2011, 11:35 PM
yes P3AT with belt clip....find that it fits in offhand front pocket well and belt clip keeps it in position better than pocket holster did
have it on me 99% of the time....its on me now......take it off for bed and shower that's about it....

tho its gets paired with its big bro p-11 when i leave the house and of course the p-11 has 12 round flush mag:D

Thorgrim
February 17, 2011, 03:50 AM
Don't get me started on pocket carrying w/o a holster.

You should read Ed McGivern's "Fast and Fancy Shooting". He was one of the quickest of his time, and some of his preferred carry methods were "nekkid gun". The one I remember was that he carried a 4" Model 10 S&W in his right jacket pocket, barrel up. He used his left hand to slide in, grab the barrel, and draw, closing his right (shooting) hand as he did. And, he managed to beat the time to hit target of many guys shooting "speed rigs".

Back to the thread, I sometimes carry a P2AT in a DeSantis pocket holster. If an IWB will work I carry my old single-action-auto AMT .380 backup. I won't carry the AMT without a holster, as the safety is too easy to wiggle its way into a "hot" position. There's still the grip safety, but it makes me uneasy to just drop it in a pocket (and, it ways a ton to be as small as it is, it's all SS.)

Be glad for the little .380's we have now, for years the best pistol we had of that size was a Browning or Bauer .25. I carried one when I couldn't do better, but I sure wasn't confident about it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you have a 380 in your rotation ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!