Hunting round for Garand?

PDA

kali13
February 6, 2011, 12:35 PM
Did a search and couldn't find anything.
I inherited an M1 a while back. Love the way it shoots and would like to use it to hunt at some point, but most commercial ammo is too hot for the rifle. Anyone know of a good round? Or is this a range toy only?

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunting round for Garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nathan
February 6, 2011, 12:41 PM
Get a Schuster Adjustable gas plug at midwayusa.com first. They are a must if you use commercial hunting ammo.

christcorp
February 6, 2011, 12:52 PM
I've used a schuster, and it's definitely a decent addition for shooting commercial ammo. But when it came to hunting, I chose a different method being I didn't need 8 rounds as fast as possible. I found another gas plug at a local army/navy type store. Bought it for $5. Took it home and drilled it out to about 1/4"-3/8". Then I put this gas plug in place of the original. Now, it basically turned the garand into a bolt action rifle. There won't be enough gas pressure to move the op-rod at all. So; after the shot, If I need a second shot, I simply manually chamber the next round. A schuster is definitely a good idea if you simply want to shoot a lot of 30-06 commercial ammo at the range. But if you're only reason for commercial ammo is for hunting, then you don't usually need more than 2 rounds. (If you missed after that, the deer/elk/whatever isn't there any longer). A $5 gas plug drilled out works perfectly. Plus, I don't have to keep record of how much to adjust for each different commercial round.

Another option I've also used, if you're into reloading, is to simply pull the bullet on a box full of M2 Ball FMJ garand ammo. Then, I replace the FMJ with 150 grain Soft Point bullets. Just run it throw a bullet seating die at the correct depth. I did that the first year of hunting with my garand. But to be honest; after lugging that 10 lb rifle around in the woods for the day, I realized it would never be one of my favorite hunting rifles. I used it a couple time with the drilled out gas plug, but I would not make it my primary hunting rifle; unless that's all I had.

essayons21
February 6, 2011, 01:33 PM
While not an ideal bullet choice, Hornady makes a Garand specific load using their 168gr AMAX

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-06-168-gr-A-MAX-M1-Garand/

HM2PAC
February 6, 2011, 01:45 PM
I reload my own for hunting with the Garand.

The Hornady cartridges look like a great idea though.

jpwilly
February 6, 2011, 01:46 PM
You have a few choices.

1. Take out the gas plug...your M1 will be a really cool straight pull. You can use whatever factory ammo you like in this configuration.

2. Like others have said get the adjustable gas plug and tune it for whatever ammo you prefer to hunt or shoot with. When you change ammo you need open up the bypass and re tune.

3. Reload using the right powder and bullets weights.

4. Take your chances...The Slow powders used in most ammo today have too much gas port pressure and are not recommended. The M1 Garand's op rod wasn't designed to handle it and you could bend it or worse.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunting round for Garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!