New toy - 7.62x39 Arisaka

PDA

Ian
February 6, 2011, 04:14 PM
So I went to a dinky local gun show this morning looking for some 54R ammo to buy, and came home with a new Arisaka instead.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=135818&stc=1&d=1297026219

This rifle started like as a Type 38 long rifle made in Tokyo. At some point it made its way to China, and was captured or abandoned. A Chinese shop converted it to 7.62x39 caliber by replacing the barrel and adding a block to the magazine well to hole the short round in place.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=135819&stc=1&d=1297026231

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=135820&stc=1&d=1297026231

According to the guy I bought it from, it was then sent to Vietnam and brought back by a GI. That's possible (it's not import marked, and has an intact mum), but unlikely (a lot of these guns apparently were brought into the US in the 80s). But bringback or not, it will make an excellent companion to the Chinese 7.62x39mm Bren I'm working on. :)

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but after some dry cycling, it appears to feed, extract and eject just fine. The seller claimed it was quite accurate, and I'm inclined to believe him on that, because the bore is in outstanding condition. It doesn't look like its been run over by a tank either, unlike some Chinese milsurps I've seen. This rifle originally had a serial number on the receiver and a different 3-digit assembly number on each major part, so it would not appear matching in any case. However, this one has mismatching assembly numbers as well. The dust cover is unmarked, so it may have been added on after the gun came to the US. It also has a late-style notched safety knob instead of the early style that would have had from the factory. No idea when that was changed.

Anyway, it's a really cute light little carbine, and should make a great hiking rifle. The more I see, the more interested I get in some of the interesting and funky guns made in China after WWII.

If you enjoyed reading about "New toy - 7.62x39 Arisaka" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Al Thompson
February 6, 2011, 04:18 PM
That is just flat cool! :)

HorseSoldier
February 6, 2011, 04:18 PM
That is pretty cool.

.45Guy
February 6, 2011, 09:55 PM
That is one of the more interesting things I've seen of late!

fireman 9731
February 7, 2011, 01:02 AM
Neat! I have always liked bolt action 7.62x39 rifles....

ilove2shoot
February 7, 2011, 10:34 AM
ok, I have to agree....nice find, I like that.

BrocLuno
February 7, 2011, 11:04 AM
Unusual and interesting. Range report next :)

chicharrones
February 7, 2011, 04:29 PM
I like to lurk without logging in, this thread forced me to look. Shame on you, OP. :cuss:

joking ;)

That's a really neat rifle you have there. http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/7.gif

caribou
February 7, 2011, 10:15 PM
Prehaps a Vietnamese job on it.....

memphisjim
February 7, 2011, 10:19 PM
does it still have the triangle shaped front site post and light weight wood?

Rancho Relaxo
February 7, 2011, 10:27 PM
Very nifty, makes me want to frequent gun shows again to try and find such a beast.

bannockburn
February 7, 2011, 11:41 PM
Ian

Very neat rifle! Congrats on getting a rather interesting weapon with such a fascinating history to it.

gunnutery
February 7, 2011, 11:47 PM
Very interesting. Looking forward to the range report.

Ian
February 8, 2011, 07:00 PM
MemphisJim,

It does have the original style triangular front sight (no protective wings, though). Not sure what you mean by lightweight wood, but the two-piece construction makes it an original Japanese stock.

XxWINxX94
February 8, 2011, 07:03 PM
:what: I want one!

Walkalong
February 8, 2011, 07:10 PM
Yep, very cool indeed. :)

Beck1
June 3, 2011, 06:10 PM
very cool. how much did it cost? what kind of magazine does it take? I am looking to score a Type 99.

Pingy
June 3, 2011, 07:51 PM
Very nice, thanks for sharing :)

Ian
June 4, 2011, 02:07 AM
I posted some info and a bunch of photos of this one and a second similar rifle at Forgotten Weapons (http://www.forgottenweapons.com/lorem-ipsum/rifles/arisakas-in-7-62x39mm).

aka108
June 4, 2011, 10:02 AM
If I had been one step ahead of you at that show you wouldn't be the current owner. Nice find.

USAF_Vet
June 4, 2011, 11:19 PM
what kind of magazine does it take

The Arisaka rifles use an internal mag like a Mauser, Enfield, Mosin Nagant, etc. The magazine floor plate drops completely out, rather than the hinged floor plates of other similar rifles.

I'd love to have a Mosin Nagant rechambered to 7.62 x 39 but I doubt that's gonna happen.

Cal-gun Fan
June 5, 2011, 12:34 AM
The Arisaka rifles use an internal mag like a Mauser, Enfield, Mosin Nagant, etc. The magazine floor plate drops completely out, rather than the hinged floor plates of other similar rifles.

I'd love to have a Mosin Nagant rechambered to 7.62 x 39 but I doubt that's gonna happen.
Isn't that like lowering the chassis on an F-150?

InkEd
June 5, 2011, 01:56 AM
Let's see some pics of the bren gun!

garyhan
June 5, 2011, 10:06 AM
I don't think many of these that were imported were in as nice a shape as yours. I've always wished I'd bought one when they were readily available. Will be very interested to hear how it shoots.

gary

Carl N. Brown
June 5, 2011, 10:20 AM
The story I was told by a dealer who had them at a gun show (warning! warning! BS approaching!) was that they were substitute standard issue for Chinese people's militia on the low end of the supply chain, converted from weapons either seized in WWII or received as war reparations after WWII. The ones I saw were not as good as the one in the posted photo, so I passed based in condition (mentally kicking myself now). They are an interesting curio regardless of condition.

ADDED: I was told the guns were Type 99 7.7mm with the chambers sleeved to accept 7.62x39mm, but consider my source: a dealer who had them at a gun show.

7.62 Nato
June 5, 2011, 11:11 AM
Nice find. If I had that I would have to load up some sub sonics. Kinda like a .300 Japanese Whisper.

If you enjoyed reading about "New toy - 7.62x39 Arisaka" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!