Browning BLR: Coating for Weather Resistance

PDA

Will_Power
February 7, 2011, 05:06 AM
Later this year I plan on building out my dream all-weather woods gun, specifically a Browning BLR in 7mm-08.

I have a question about coating processes (Cerakote, Duracoat, Teflon, etc): are they possible or advisable* on the BLR?

I don't know much about what goes into them, but being aware of the doom and gloom that goes along with anyone's story of taking apart the BLR, I can guess that if the coating processes require taking apart the action, then I'm just out of luck.

*And yeah, I know that folks are probably going to scream bloody murder at coating a lever gun, but I'm looking to put together a firearm that will handle all the bad weather I might throw at it, and a durable coating seems like an intelligent option to consider.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning BLR: Coating for Weather Resistance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
February 7, 2011, 05:51 AM
Wax and/or oil is all a blued gun needs for all-weather, IMO, unless you plan on leaving the gun laying outside in the woods 24/7/365. My pet hunting rifle has sat out in the rain many days over the past 20 years and has never rusted. A quick wipe down with an oil cloth is all she needs.

Abel
February 7, 2011, 07:53 AM
The Marlin 336 in 35 Rem or 30-30 would make a great woods gun & its 100x easier to take apart.

Here is a wonderful thread from Marlin Owners about a 336 that has a synthetic stock and the teflon treatment:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,66286.0.html

bhk
February 7, 2011, 09:59 AM
The receiver on the BLR is aluminum and won't rust anyway. Put a good coat of wax on the the barrel, oil the other small parts, and you are good to go.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning BLR: Coating for Weather Resistance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!