http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/zzz/centerfirematchfeb.jpg

Download these targets, and test your skills

factory rifle
http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/15%20Med%20Circles.pdf

unlimited
http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/15%20Small%20Circles.pdf

Rules:
1. 100yrds
2. Any caliber.....The bigger the better, but you will pay with recoil for the advantage
3. Any scope allowed.....If you cant see the dot with your scope, add a ring to the target with a sharpi, just as long as the original black ring is clearly visible
4. No lead sleds or Benchrest equipment...Any other means of steadying the rifle is GTG..IE Front rest, Bags, Bipods, Shooting sticks.......
5. One shot per Bull*, 15 shots total, no time limit(but do it in one range visit)
6. Any position allowed
7. Cutoff date is April 1'st at 12:00 AM CST

Center bull scores 3pts(As long as you break the edge), black ring scores 1pt(Same goes, just break the edge), 45pts for a perfect round. Clean center hits will be giving an "X" designation, used as a tie breaker. 45-15X beats 45-10X.........***For this match I will allow ONE extra bullet hole in the target to reduce the risk of ruining a target by shooting a "wrong" dot. However in the event of such an occurrence you will only be able to claim the lowest scoring shot on the dot that the two conflicting shots are closest to. So nothing is to be gained by attempting a 16'th shot if not needed to complete a target

There will now be two rifle classes to level the playing field a bit. First class will be for rifles using a factory or OE grade barrel. (non hand lapped), The second or unlimited class is for guns with aftermarket and or hand lapped barrels. I'm going to leave it to the shooter to determine what class their equipment falls in.

Need a pic of your target to score, a pic of your shooting set up optional but highly encouraged. Shoot as many as you like, per rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winter 2011 centerfire rifle match" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maverick223
February 7, 2011, 04:36 PM
Count me in!

:)

kis2
February 7, 2011, 07:26 PM
this looks great, I'll be shooting it! Action and barrel on my 700 are still factory, so bigger O's it is (I'll need them anyway :) )

Heavies
February 7, 2011, 07:54 PM
I'm in! Gotta roll some rounds! =)

JDMorris
February 7, 2011, 11:09 PM
There is no scope on my Howa and It will most likely be at a gunsmith for a little while for a cut and crown to 18" so I don't know if I'll make this one

NeuseRvrRat
February 8, 2011, 09:30 PM
picking up my new savage 12 in 22-250 friday. i'll try to work up a load and shoot this match.

gregj
February 8, 2011, 09:43 PM
I'm in!! Got a new Bushnell Elite 4200 to break in on my RRA :D

9X23WIN
February 9, 2011, 09:38 PM
Looks like I'm the first to shoot the match.

I was hesitant about going out to shoot so soon after what happened a couple of days ago. Definitely didn't want to sit at the same bench too. Brought out guns for both classes, but ended up shooting only factory one. Rifle was a Remington 700 PSS in 223.

The winds were howling as usual with gusts over 30mph. But it was calmer than yesterday; I was told by range personnel. I carry two types of wind meters in my range bag; a directional and an omni direction one. The latter one gets set on my bench and it's the one I use on most occasions. A great little gadget well worth the price.

My score was a 41-4x.

PMC brass, Rem 6 1/2, H52gr BTHP Match, 23.0gr - H322, OAL 2.230

R.W.Dale
February 9, 2011, 10:20 PM
Great shooting 9x23 I'll fashion a leader board update shortly

Did you notice are the larger dots easily seen on lower magnifications @ 100?

Heavies
February 9, 2011, 11:08 PM
Nice 9X23!
Glad you jumped right back in.

I am going to try to get out this weekend, hopefully.

9X23WIN
February 9, 2011, 11:16 PM
Did you notice are the larger dots easily seen on lower magnifications @ 100?

Yes, it was much BIGGER...so much so that I think there's going to be a few 45-15x scores in factory class. :eek:

9X23WIN
February 9, 2011, 11:20 PM
Nice 9X23!
Glad you jumped right back in.

I am going to try to get out this weekend, hopefully.

I was a little gun shy(NERVOUS and SCARED) during the first few pulls of the trigger. :eek:

R.W.Dale
February 9, 2011, 11:36 PM
Yes, it was much BIGGER...so much so that I think there's going to be a few 45-15x scores in factory class. :eek:
That's fine by me, perhaps it will encourage more folks to get hunting weight rifles out.

February 10, 2011, 12:22 AM
Would my POF P308 fall into the factory class? It has the factory barrel but a few upgrades such as the stock and a new Geissele DMR trigger which arrives next Tuesday. I plan on having a go with that as well as shooting my F-Class rifle in the "open" class. I may even have a go with my DPMS/BM AR15 ... that thing can shoot with its 24" heavy stainless fluted barrel. Maybe we need a semi-auto groups too ... open and factory!

Thank you Mr. Dale for running this match again.

R.W.Dale
February 10, 2011, 01:01 AM
1858 the bbl rule is in my opinion only set in stone for downgrading into a lower class.

If you have a rifle that doesn't have a hand lapped bbl but you feel has been tweaked and tuned or is of such a high quality build to an extent of becoming an unfair advantage to more "off the shelf" firearms by all means feel free to "move up" a class.

The reason for the "hand lapped" nomenclature is to allow rifles such as my home built hunting AR with it's Del-Ton barrel for example to not be thrown to the wolves competing with full blown custom competition level guns.

Yes I know it's a bit Grey and open to interpenetration. But it's the most fair and simple means of dividing things up that I could think of.

JDGray
February 10, 2011, 06:14 AM
Its supposed to warm up 30*F, by this weekend, and I'll get out there and shoot. Current temp is 1*F:eek:, I shoot for fun not for a living, nothing fun about 1*F;)

KSCCHTrainer
February 10, 2011, 04:44 PM
Even the indoor range is shivering today here in Kansas. We hit an all time record for the state. -17F supposedly the lowest it's been around here since they started keeping records back in the 1800's.

We're also somewhat buried in a bit of snow. Just over a foot here in Park City and it's cold enough my snow blower won't start! Wichita, just a couple miles to the South got about 8".

Since there was some controversy over my having an unfair advantage using the indoor range, Even though my old Mosin and the 98K Mauser are both factory stock except for Timney triggers and have their original barrels, I'll shoot them and enter only the Unlimited class. That ought to pacify those that feel indoor ranges ought to have a handicap.

Jim

JDGray
February 10, 2011, 07:17 PM
Jim,
I have a special target just for you:D
http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/10M%20Airgun%20Target.pdf

9X23WIN
February 10, 2011, 07:39 PM
I went back out to the range with my first set reloads after the accident. No KABOOMS what so ever! :D Firing the first newly reloaded round, I stood away from the rifle and used a foot long wooden dowel to set off the trigger. Maybe that's good standard practice I'm going to do from now on.
I didn't shoot the match today; maybe tomorrow if I don't do the golf thing. Yesterday I didn't have my camera to take pictures, but today I took one of the wind meter that I was talking about. It's a great little gadget for shooters who like to know a little more about the conditions.

KSCCHTrainer
February 10, 2011, 09:28 PM
Jim,
I have a special target just for you:D
http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/10M%20Airgun%20Target.pdf
I'll use it on my 30' airgun range in the basement with the GAMO Whisper - though that's still indoors, so somebody would probably complain about that too. I guess I could get out the pair of floor fans I have and set one up at the line and the other one three quarters of the way to the target and pointing in different directions across the flight of the pellet.

If you are really serious, I WILL shoot that target at 100 yards on the indoor range with the Mosin. Ought to be handicap enough huh? The white circles aren't all that much smaller than the ones for last month's match.

(I saw the green smiley, but, just for grins, I think I'll shoot it. I love a challenge!)

prid93
February 10, 2011, 11:05 PM
KSCCHTrainer,
I've been following the matches for awhile, and from what I've seen you will probably still win even if you do shoot that target ;).

JDGray
February 10, 2011, 11:05 PM
That target was almost the one I chose for my match, with a little different scoring. Sure glad I went with the larger one, as it prooved pretty tough as it was. It was a joke, but I'm curious as how well you could do with it, and I'm betting pretty good;)

R.W.Dale
February 10, 2011, 11:31 PM
KSCCHTrainer,
I've been following the matches for awhile, and from what I've seen you will probably still win even if you do shoot that target ;).
He won the last one, it's the same match as last month.

HOOfan_1
February 10, 2011, 11:55 PM
KSCCTrainer just have a buddy nuzzle up close to your muzzle and blow really hard as you pull the trigger, or you could set out a series of fans down the line ;)

Maverick223
February 10, 2011, 11:58 PM
KSCCTrainer just have a buddy nuzzle up close to your muzzle and blow really hard as you pull the trigger...:uhoh: They might catch on fire! :fire:

JDGray
February 11, 2011, 06:16 AM
Would it diffuse the situation if we all agree that if we(whoever) win this match we'll be content to sit out the next?

The more shooters the better! Thats why I had very laxed rules....Wont make me feel better to win if a better shooter is kept from shooting. I've shot in pretty stiff winds at 100yrds, and turned in some of my best groups. The only thing that bothers me shooting outside is the mosquitos, and thats not an issues right now:p

Lets have some fun!!! These are honor system matches, not a sanctioned event.....

Whiskey11
February 11, 2011, 01:34 PM
I'll jump in the Factory.

Rem700 SPS in .308 WIN
AICS 1.5 Stock
Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 6.5-20x50mm

The action is bone stock down to the rather bleh sporter profile barrel. Should be fun :D She'll group about an inch at 100 yards if I do my part with my reloads...

I'll recruit my buddy into it to and see if he will shoot his Noveske at the targets!

R.W.Dale
February 11, 2011, 01:40 PM
Awesome!

Looking forward to your submissions

gregj
February 11, 2011, 09:21 PM
Here's my submission, 31-1X (I hope I scored it correctly). This is my first time doing something like this, just started reloading for my AR, and just sighted in my new scope so that I could participate. So I'm really a noob to this. :D But I will be entering more submissions. I love a good challenge.

Rifle is a RRA AR with a 20" SS Predator Persuit upper, 223.
Scope is a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12x40 mil dot
Ammo was my reloads, PMC brass, SMK 69gr with 22.5gr H335
Front Harris bipod and rear bag was used.

Thanks for running this, it's very cool!!!

P51D
February 11, 2011, 10:51 PM
Greetings, fellow shooters. Here’s a target I shot today, and I score it as a 32, 4X. Shot with my Savage 12 FV .243 Win, with a Leupold VX-I, 3-9 x 40. Benchrest and sandbags. Handloads, 100 gr Hornady round nose soft points, H4895 powder. 40 degrees, no wind, dead calm, sun at my back, brightly illuminating the target (better conditions than shooting indoors). ;)

P51D

jerkface11
February 11, 2011, 10:55 PM
9x23win did you flinch on your first shot?

R.W.Dale
February 11, 2011, 11:54 PM
Great submissions guys keep em coming!

I'll brew up an updated leaderboard later.

Tapatalk post via IPhone.

gregj
February 12, 2011, 06:24 PM
Today I shot a 37-5X. Temp was about 45*, a little breezy.

Rifle is a RRA AR with a 20" SS Predator Persuit upper, 223.
Scope is a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12x40 mil dot
Ammo was my reloads, PMC brass, SMK 69gr with 22.5gr H335
Front Harris bipod and rear bag was used.

Heavies
February 13, 2011, 01:07 AM
Here is my submission.
Got out today to shoot this and the rimfire match. I did much better in the rimfire, but I felll apart on this one. Gah!
Rain, windy, switchy. Calm to 15 gusts to 20mph.
Rifle, Savage PTA, bedded, Mcgowen 24" 8 twist, 29.4 8208 XBR under 95 SMK, Sightron 20x42, shot off a bipod and rear bag.
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/heaviescc/photo-48.jpg

Scored as 32 2X. :barf:

Why didn't I dial a little less elevation? Dunno. Driver in training.

Shot this group after the match. The gun does it's part, but the operator needs to do his. :banghead:
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/heaviescc/photo-51.jpg

R.W.Dale
February 13, 2011, 01:19 AM
Nice shooting fellas! I'll do a leader board update After the weekend as I fully expect more submissions tomorrow, including my own in factory class.

BTW Heavies that second target was going to be the one for Unlimited until I found out the bottom row of circles was getting partially cut off. That would make "X"es really hard to earn.

Maverick223
February 13, 2011, 01:44 AM
Heavies, I wouldn't call that bad...not unless you were using a custom rig in something like a 6mmBR, in which case it'd be pretty bad. (j/k :p)

P.S.: Cartridge was guessed based upon those squatty little cartridges pictured and your loading information...how close am I?

R.W.Dale
February 13, 2011, 01:59 AM
P.S.: Cartridge was guessed based upon those squatty little cartridges pictured and your loading information...how close am I?

I was guessing too till I read the bottom of the target:rolleyes:

I kid I kid

LOL my monitor is so dark I didn't even see the cartridges till you pointed em out

Maverick223
February 13, 2011, 02:02 AM
I was guessing too till I read the bottom of the targetDuh...missing the forest for the trees again.

Well at least I was right (though with a rifle like that, it wasn't much of a stretch).

Heavies
February 13, 2011, 04:28 AM
...not unless you were using a custom rig in something like a 6mmBR, in which case it'd be pretty bad.

Haha. Yep. That is pretty bad shooting, for a 6mmbr. :)
Just goes to show how challenging these targets are. When I go to shoot for group, they all want to go in the same hole, but trying to put one hole in a circle is another thing all together. What I should have done was zero up a little better before shooting the whole match. :D

Maverick223
February 13, 2011, 01:12 PM
Eh, don't be so hard on yourself. By your own admission it was pretty windy, and the rain doesn't help either.

R.W.Dale
February 13, 2011, 02:20 PM
and the rain doesn't help either.

But I'll bet that being in Hawaii sure does! Or at least compared to the slushy freezer here.

As you can tell I'm all green. LOL

Barrels cool time for that bottom row!

Wow that ended in a FAIL! note to self have more than 2 rounds through a scope swap and do load workup before making a 15rd run.

Tapatalk post via IPhone.

JDGray
February 13, 2011, 03:24 PM
Got out shooting today and heres me target:) Shot prone, harris bipod, rear bag. Rifle is a R700 LTR .223, Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40, 15 shots in 5 minutes. Advantage cold Michigan climate(AC for the barrel), actually very nice out today at 43*F and light wind. My load for this rifle is Lapua brass, CCI400s, Sierra 69gr Matchkings, 24gr Varget, 2.260" oal, 2740 fps avg.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/JDG357/001-6.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/JDG357/003-5.jpg

9X23WIN
February 13, 2011, 06:02 PM
Nice shooting guys! The weather forecast is for rain this whole week, but if it isn't too bad, you'll bet I'll be giving it a few more tries.

gregj
February 13, 2011, 06:07 PM
JDGray, very nice! If you dont mind my asking, what was the load were you using? I just started reloading for my 223, and always on the lookout for a good load.

kis2
February 13, 2011, 09:22 PM
Here's my submission:

If someone else is gracious enough to score my sheet to make sure I did it right, I'd appreciate it, but when I score it I get 37-5x.

Rifle is a 700p in an HS stock. more details here... http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=548373

I'm practicing for a field match coming up. Prone, bipod in front, hand in back. I would do five shots at a time, with a limit of 1 minute for every five. Then I'd briskly walk out to the line, see how I did, and walk back. By round 15, barrel was pretty hot. Ended up being good practice and got to learn more about my zero! Weather was great, if there was wind it was just barely, sun at my back and bright, and 60 degrees.

Also learned that 30 rounds is about all I can shoot before my eyes get tired looking through the scope in bright sunlight.

Thanks for the opportunity!

JDGray
February 13, 2011, 11:01 PM
kis2,
Looks like an easy 39-5X to me, good shootin!:)

gregj,
Thanks:) Those bulls look like baseballs compared to last months match! The mental aspect of hitting the larger bulls is almost a relief, and puts less stress on me for sure. I'll have to score a perfect target on this one, or I'm sure to get smoked by a certain Mosin;)

Load data now in my post... But I could never get my Predator Pursuit to shoot 69gr SMKs, it shot 60gr Sierra Varminters over 24gr H335 the best, LC brass, CCI400s.

kis2
February 13, 2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks JDGray, I could always use a few extra points. I need to try again next week though, have to try and do better! there's a mosin in the back of my mind as well....

and I forgot my field jacket (aka shooting mat) and by the end of this trip my elbow was bleeding :rolleyes: less pain, more gain next trip!

Whiskey11
February 14, 2011, 12:55 AM
Didn't do so hot today, shot a 27-2X and a 26-3X as my best too targets :uhoh:

I'm not sure this rifle will do much better than that. Here is the "data"

Remington 700 SPS DM in .308 with 24" 1:10" Twist Sporter barrel
AICS 1.5 Stock
Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 6.5-20x50mm on a 20MOA base

Federal Brass (yeah I know :barf:) -Neck Sized
43.4gr Varget
Sierra 168gr Match Kings
OAL of 2.810
CCI 200 Primers

Shot prone from a Bipod with rear bag.

Not sure if it's the load (best shooting load I've shot between 42 and 44.6gr when pressure signs occur) or if it is the sporter profile barrel (most likely) heating up.

Target:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/whiskey_11/2132011Target.jpg

Not sure where the double shot came from on this target, some other folks there that day, of which a group of guys shooting some Milsurp guns and being generally disrespectful and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 100 where shooting. Possible it was from them, but I'll count it as my own I guess. Not that the 1 point would have helped much :P

Gun:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/whiskey_11/IMG_1964.jpg

9X23WIN
February 14, 2011, 01:04 PM
Nice looking rifle you have there Whiskey! :)

Whiskey11
February 14, 2011, 01:29 PM
Nice looking rifle you have there Whiskey! :)

Thanks, now just to get it to shoot the way I want it to :banghead: Seems to shoot consistently just below 1 MOA, but not any tighter when I do my job (still working on that part too :uhoh:). Someday right? :)

HOOfan_1
February 14, 2011, 01:44 PM
Well I learned it is almost useless for me to try and shoot this competition with ammunition my gun is not sighted in for. I've sighted in for Winchester 45 gr. jacketed hollow points, but didn't have enough left to shoot the target. So I loaded up some Sierra 45 gr. Varminter pointed soft points. I took a couple of practice shots at a sight in target to figure a hold (didn't have enough ammo to re-zero and shoot the competition). That whole idea didn't work too well. Not to mention of the 6 bullet types I have shot through my rifle, the 45 grain Varminters were the second least consistent.

Shooting a CZ 550 Varmint Laminated Stock in .22-250 at 100 yards. Front Rest was a plastic MTM front rest, back rest was a bag resting on some particle board and a couple of 2x4s. This was actually the windiest day I have shot in a while. I tried waiting between gusts which were probably 15-20 mph. Score 24-2X

Second uploaded target is from a load workup with Sierra 50 grain BlitzKing polymer pointed boat tails and H380. It isn't benchrest quality, but pretty good for a factory gun and a person with little practice at shooting from a rest.

I'll try to re-zero for this load and try again this week.

R.W.Dale
February 14, 2011, 02:44 PM
Well I learned it is almost useless for me to try and shoot this competition with ammunition my gun is not sighted in for.

same here.

I think this match is doing a lot to raise awareness of how even the most minute details effect POI

I'm going to have to step back and do load workup and precise sightins on a couple of my rifles. I really don't see me submitting another target till much closer to the deadline. Cause one thing's for sure rushing or skipping anything to shoot one of these targets is setting yourself up for a FAIL.

9X23WIN
February 14, 2011, 07:48 PM
I think this match is doing a lot to raise awareness of how even the most minute details effect POI

I'm going to have to step back and do load workup and precise sightins on a couple of my rifles. I really don't see me submitting another target till much closer to the deadline. Cause one thing's for sure rushing or skipping anything to shoot one of these targets is setting yourself up for a FAIL.

I use to run a match at my club similar in principle to this. Only difference was it was 200yds, thirty different picture targets which also varied in size. The scoring system was either a hit or a miss. It was a truly humbling experience even for the most experienced shooters. Shooting groups are one thing, but when a shooter has to constantly move the gun and make adjustments, the fun begins.

9X23WIN
February 14, 2011, 08:36 PM
Despite the rain and high wind, I decided to shoot the match today. The forecast for the remainder of the week looks even worse. When I got to the range, the heavy rain luckily subsided and it just drizzled from there on. But the wind was at its usual glory; my wind meter at the bench clocked gusts as high as 32mph. So the fun began...

I shot two classes today and started with the Win M70 Heavy Varmint chambered in 308 using a Harris bipod. Score was 33-2x.
Sierra 190gr HPBT, Rem 9 1/2, IMR 4064 - 40.5gr, 2.800 OAL

Afterward, I shot the 40x in the unlimited class. Score was 28-0x. I accidentally pulled the Jewell trigger twice...guess which targets they were. ;)
Sierra 175 HPBT, Fed 210M, IMR 4064 - 42.0, 2.800 OAL

Regardless, I did better than expected considering the challenging conditions. Most importantly, I had fun! :D

HOOfan_1
February 14, 2011, 08:42 PM
I accidentally pulled the Jewell trigger twice...guess which targets they were. ;)

Did that one my last target and one from last month with the set trigger.

I might start shooting it without the set, it is a decent trigger even without the set.

jerkface11
February 14, 2011, 10:10 PM
I probably won't have my benchgun set up in time for this match. I may try to shoot it with my Ruger though.

HOOfan_1
February 17, 2011, 12:26 AM
Pretty frustrating day at the range for me.
Loaded up some of that Blitzking that I posted a sub .5" group with above, rezeroed my scope and dialed in the adjustment from that old target. I was actually going today to test two of my most accurate loads. I had Sierra 52gr. HPBT Matchkings and Sierra 50gr. Blitkings. I had two boxes of the Blitzkings loaded, one for groups, one for the contest. My dad had some 30 year old H380 powder lying around, so we loaded some of that (not sure if that contributed to my poor shooting or not).

So I started out shooting 5 Blitzkings as fouling shots, the estimated shift I dialed into my scope at home the night before seemed to be accurate, the group was a little over an inch and all around my point of aim, no more than .5" from the point of aim.

We have had horrible wind here this week, I thought today was supposed to be calm, it wasn't. Wind was not only gusting to 30 mph, but it was swirling all over the place down range. I went ahead and shot 4 groups with the 52gr. SMK. First two groups opened up to almost 2" I was absolutely sick, this exact load had gotten me a .75" group originally. Second 2 groups were both around .5". I went over to shoot groups with the Blitzkings, first group was about 1.5" (I had shot under .5" just last week with this load). I was so pissed off at the wind I just said the hell with trying to shoot groups and moved on to the competition targets.

I noticed last night I could use the small circles in front of the large circles, and they lined up perfect, so I put a sheet of large circles behind the small trying to see if I could score well enough for the unlimited, but figuring I would do much better on the factory class. I shot worse today on 2 targets than I did last week. Scores were about 19-2X and 23-2X on the factory targets.

Really made me depressed the rest of the day. I know the wind screwed me up, and hopefully I also was just not on today especially worried about the wind. I'd hate to think my gun is just being inconsistent, or my load testing for the past 2 months was all for naught.

9X23WIN
February 17, 2011, 01:27 AM
Really made me depressed the rest of the day. I know the wind screwed me up, and hopefully I also was just not on today especially worried about the wind. I'd hate to think my gun is just being inconsistent, or my load testing for the past 2 months was all for naught.

I wouldn't get too depressed as you got in range time and hopefully you learned more about your gun, loads and ability. The winds are just an added bonus to keep you on your toes. :) Your scores aren't bad; try again when there is less wind.

P51D
February 19, 2011, 01:17 AM
Here's another entry from me with a different rifle. A factory CZ 527 in 22 Hornet, Redfield 4-12 x 40 scope, sandbags and benchrest. Wind 15 mph from 5 o'clock, 70 degrees :cool: and sunny.

Handloads, Hornady 40 gr. V-Max, Lil' Gun powder.

I score this as a 39 3x.

Man, I hope to get at least one more poke at this! ;)

P51D

kis2
February 19, 2011, 06:13 PM
I went out today with a perfectly clean barrel and 16 rounds of ammo. Winds didn't help me out at all! 3-13mph shifting winds across the target and they increased by the end of my shooting. What was really cool was seeing how that wind and my compensation for it played out in 15 individual shots. This competition is excellent practice!

Long story short, I learned about some wind and that as my barrel fouls and heats up a little, the POI shifts down about .25 a minute. Overall a 27-3x.

I might give it another try this weekend, I will give it another try this month!

JDGray
February 19, 2011, 06:47 PM
After a good cleaning, my Savage needs a few rounds to settle back in, but usually by the 5th round its back on target. My LTR shoots very good clean or fouled, with no moving around. Kinda blows to have only 16rds on a 15rd target, with no room to settle in. I gotta get back out with my Savage, and shoot the factory target, but with the major thaw we've been having I'll probably get stuck in the mud, not the snow this time:D

kis2
February 19, 2011, 06:55 PM
my 700 doesnt seem to move around a lot either, but regardless I like to start something like this by doing at least a three shot group to see where I'm at. sadly, no time to reload all last week left me with 16 rounds. good chance to learn though!

mudding just adds to the fun of shooting, good luck!

Whiskey11
February 20, 2011, 06:36 PM
Not sure why, but my 700 really likes to run dirty. Went out and shot 150 more rounds down range in the following config:

Federal .308 brass - Neck Sized Only
CCI 200 Primers
168gr Sierra Match Kings
COAL of 2.815"
43.4gr Hodgdon Varget

Quick Load puts the load at right around 2650 FPS. My gun seems to like this load for 100 yard shooting. Gun is the same except I painted the Dark Earth to a more traditional green/brown/black style camo.

Went to the range, overcast, around 50*F with a cold and windy front moving in around 1600 hrs, hurried up and shot all 150 before 1530 and got the heck out of dodge before it started gusting BAD. Calm winds for the most part. Got really windy when I was packing up.

First target was a 33-4x and the barrel started warming up. The second to last target I shot was a 19-2x :what: Started shooting for groups and after about 10 minutes of cool down shot a sub MOA 10 shot group. :uhoh: Then it opened up again.

Decided to move to the 200 yard range to shoot off 10 rounds, forgot that 1/4MOA clicks are half an inch at 200 yards :banghead: Couldn't get any groups. Moved back to the 100 yard range and then shot a 35-3x on my final Palma target of the day. These shots where shots 135-150 with ZERO cleaning between. Guess it likes dirty :D Personal best so far!

Less talk, I know these don't qualify in the Factory class, but I was excited for a new personal best so you get to see them anyway, even if they are not that great :D Less talk, right, pictures!!!!

Best 15 shot target, one shot questionable 3, but it technically broke the bull. You'll have to forgive the shot through the 35 at the top, I went down to the target and scored it, then was shooting at the target above it for groups and had a pretty big "OOPS" flier and it hit this target.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/whiskey_11/2202011Target1.jpg

10 shot sub MOA bullet center to center, or 1 MOA edge to edge:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/whiskey_11/2202011Target2-10shot.jpg

Gun as painted (not that ya'll care!):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/whiskey_11/2011-02-17_13-29-54_77.jpg

kis2
February 20, 2011, 06:47 PM
very nice looking rifle and looks like it shoots great! what's the barrel length?

...forgive my probable ignorance...but what is quick load?

Whiskey11
February 20, 2011, 07:02 PM
24" Sporter Barrel It shoots alright when the barrel isn't warm. It has it's good groups and it's bad groups. "Rapid" and aimed shots at 100 yards would put 15 rounds within 2MOA, but slower shooting and even breaks between sets will bring it right around MOA.

QuickLoad is a internal ballistics software that is packaged with QuickTarget (an external ballistics software) that is a powerful tool when figuring out loads for ammunition. It takes in a considerable amount of data and data it has stored as averages and can out put data such as estimated muzzle velocity (for a generic barrel of whatever length you put in). It will also do Pressure spikes and output graphs with pressure vs velocity, time, etc. QuickTarget can import that data and then put it to practical use by estimating bullet drop and velocity at range as well as rough guides for scope changes at different ranges. It is a powerful TOOL but it does not trump experience. I will take QL's "data" on the velocity of the round at it's face value and for a relative truth as I lack a chrono that I'm willing to shoot over (but one I'd like to shoot as it's kinda broken :P).

9X23WIN
February 20, 2011, 08:21 PM
Wow Whiskey...150 rounds in one session and a bolt action to boot! :what: Regardless, good shooting especially the 10 shot group! Was that the same rifle you used the last time around?

Heavies
February 21, 2011, 02:41 AM
Got out today to shoot this one more time. Same rig as before. Savage PTA, Mcgowen barrel, Sightron 20x42, 6mmbr. Unlimited/open class. 35-2X
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/heaviescc/photo-55.jpg

Again, gun shot great, but the trigger puller failed. :rolleyes:

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/heaviescc/photo-57.jpg

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/heaviescc/photo-56.jpg

At least it was a beautiful day! :D

9X23WIN
February 21, 2011, 10:02 AM
Nice shooting Heavies! I like your setup too! What bipod and stock do you have there? I have a 116 action and thinking of building another gun up, but it may be cheaper to just buy a stock Savage F-class 6br for 1300 bucks. I shoot with a guy who has one in 6.5-284 and it does well.

Whiskey11
February 21, 2011, 12:12 PM
Wow Whiskey...150 rounds in one session and a bolt action to boot! Regardless, good shooting especially the 10 shot group! Was that the same rifle you used the last time around?

Yup, same Remington 700 as before, just with the stock painted :) 150 rounds in one day is the norm. Plenty of trigger time. Was only there about 3-3.5 hours. Shooting is a great hobby for me, nice and stress relieving so I tend to over indulge in the shooting. I've shot right around 700 rounds through this 700 in little over 4 months.

Heavies
February 21, 2011, 02:54 PM
Nice shooting Heavies! I like your setup too! What bipod and stock do you have there? I have a 116 action and thinking of building another gun up, but it may be cheaper to just buy a stock Savage F-class 6br for 1300 bucks. I shoot with a guy who has one in 6.5-284 and it does well.

Thanks,
I know that the rifle can group them well within the 3 point area of the target, but I think the style of the target is what makes it challenging. It is very difficult, for me anyway, to find an aim point within the empty space in the ring.

The stock is a Sharp Shooters Supply varmint tactical laminate, the bipod is a MWerksllc F-class bipod, and the rear bag is a Protektor grabhandle.
Use caution with SSS, if you decide to get a stock from them. A search on their CS and you will see what I mean.

I am pretty happy with this build, but one issue I have is ejecting the 6br case. I have tried all the tips and tricks, but I still only get about 60% ejection. I have now just removed the ejector, and I'll just pick the cases off the extractor. Kinda ticks me off cause it is a dual port action and without an eject function it's kinda pointless.

Thanks for the support, and I am really enjoying the matches here on THR.
Looking forward to next month. :D

gregj
February 21, 2011, 04:58 PM
Went to the range this am, trIed two more times, shot a 35-5x and a 30-5x. Maybe next time I can bring my scores up a little.

JDGray
February 21, 2011, 06:37 PM
Would have shot today but this is the veiw off my deck:(
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/JDG357/004-2.jpg
So I loaded 50rds of .223, and worked on the bath project:)
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/JDG357/002-4.jpg
4" of slush on the roads that now have frozen solid, terrible ruts in the slush its like driving on an old logging trail.

9X23WIN
February 21, 2011, 07:04 PM
Whiskey, at your rate, it will be time for a new barrel soon. Maybe a heavier barrel in the future? ;)

9X23WIN
February 21, 2011, 07:10 PM
I am pretty happy with this build, but one issue I have is ejecting the 6br case. I have tried all the tips and tricks, but I still only get about 60% ejection. I have now just removed the ejector, and I'll just pick the cases off the extractor. Kinda ticks me off cause it is a dual port action and without an eject function it's kinda pointless.

Why are you having ejection problems? Is the port too small? The problem is probably slowing you down when you're trying to send a flurry of lead downrange quickly!

9X23WIN
February 21, 2011, 07:14 PM
JD, those icicles hanging from the branches make nice targets for a pellet gun! :p

9X23WIN
February 21, 2011, 08:06 PM
After a week of heavy rain and wind, it was nice to get out today. I tried again, this time with two open/unlimited class rifles. Started off the morning shooting my teenage daughter's 243 Ackley. The rifle loves the Sierra's 107gr and it performed today! The score was 45-6x.

The 243 Ackley performance was going to be a tough act for the second gun (6.5-284) to follow especially when I was using a newly untested load. But I was pretty much satisfied with the results. Score was 33-4x.

Conditions today were the nicest in a while with only a slight easterly wind. Usually the winds howl from the opposite direction. So no wind excuse today! :p

The two rifles are twins except for stock color and chamberings. Both uses a sleeved 700 action and have tight necks and they require cases to be turned. Barrels are K&P, Dierks brakes, Manner's 1000yd NBRSA stocks, Jewell 2oz triggers. Both rifles weigh in at almost 17lbs each.

9X23WIN
February 21, 2011, 08:13 PM
Greg, nice setup you have there. What's wrapped around the scope? ;)

9X23WIN
February 21, 2011, 08:21 PM
Here is a picture of the two guns. It's the first time the two been together out at this range.

JDGray
February 21, 2011, 08:31 PM
9X23WIN,
Nice shooting, and nice equipment! You sure have some nice rifles!! That one looks like your Daughters, but thought hers was a 22cal?

I'm now on generator power, and shouldn't be on the computer....Michigan Sucks! (Today, that is, and only during ice storms)

9X23WIN
February 21, 2011, 08:55 PM
JD, the reddish one is my daughter's and is the same one she shot in the January's match. It's a 243 Ackley Improve.

gregj
February 21, 2011, 09:17 PM
9X23WIN, awesome rigs you have there!!! Very nice shooting as well. Some day ....

That's my high dollar, very exclusive, brass catcher!! Grabbed an old cap from the hat rack, slipped it over the scope, and it does a fantastic job of catching the brass. Either they stay in the cap, or fall onto the bench beneath the rifle. Makes it a LOT easier than chasing brass around. :D

Heavies
February 21, 2011, 10:17 PM
Why are you having ejection problems? Is the port too small? The problem is probably slowing you down when you're trying to send a flurry of lead downrange quickly!

The 6br case is short so the ejector and extractor has a hard time holding on to the case long enough for it to spit them out. The design of the savage bolt extractor is part of the problem. Oh well, just something to think about, if you do a 6br on a savage action. And yep, slow as heck!:D

I gotta get around to calling Savage up and asking for a remedy. They have factory rifles in that caliber, so there must be some way to make it work!

Whiskey11
February 21, 2011, 11:30 PM
Whiskey, at your rate, it will be time for a new barrel soon. Maybe a heavier barrel in the future? ;)

That is certainly the goal!!! I'll be gaining experience on the way too! It will be a Krieger in 24 in, 1:10 twist still probably, 5 flute, in the heaviest profile barrel they will put out :P Still debating on getting it threaded for a suppressor for when money becomes more available. I'll be sending the action in to have them true it and all that jive. Should put me in quite a ways on the money, but it should be worth it to have a rifle that consistently shoots sub half MOA @ 100 yards :) Then I'll have an excuse to bed the action and replace the trigger :D Then I can compete in the "Unlimited class!"

Heavies
February 22, 2011, 12:06 AM
9x23,
Outstanding shooting!

9X23WIN
February 22, 2011, 10:52 AM
HEAVIES, have you posted your problem on the Savage forum? Someone there may have answers.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8l9rser4q448ubbibbnouu6ue0&

GREG, I just learned a new trick from you! :D

WHISKEY, your rifle shoots well enough now to compete in the open class!

Heavies
February 22, 2011, 11:18 AM
9x23WIN,
Yes, I have gone over there, and many other places. I read up and tried all of the 'tricks' to get it to work. Only thing I haven't tried yet is calling Savage. I'm gonna try that today.
Thank you

R.W.Dale
February 22, 2011, 12:35 PM
I hope my absence and lack of an update isn't causing an issue. This past week I've been busier than a 1 legged man at an a** kicking contest. I'll try to rectify the situation later

As to extraction-ejection of short cartridges in savage action for me the easiest most productive solution was to remove the ejector altogether.

Heavies
February 22, 2011, 05:04 PM
As to extraction-ejection of short cartridges in savage action for me the easiest most productive solution was to remove the ejector altogether.

Roger that! I gonna try one more thing, Im going to try and fashion my own ejector a little longer than the factory one. If that dont work then I guess I'll just do that.
Still gonna be teed though. Because I would have just gone with the single port; I could have saved a little money, and had a little more stiffness in the action. Oh well. :p

gregj
February 23, 2011, 10:22 AM
I'm very new to this sort of competition, so forgive me if this is an obvious or dumb question. But can someone elaborate on what sort of benchrest is allowed, or is not allowed? I'm a little confused. I have a Caldwell I would like to use, but havent because I didnt think it was allowed. I'd rather use a bag rest than my bipod, but I'm still trying to find a bag rest locally that will work with an AR.

Heavies
February 23, 2011, 11:06 AM
Stop me if I'm wrong, but I think the rests you are speaking of is fine for this.
I am thinking the rules are talking about full on benchrest (connected front and rear), leadsleads, and rail gun type setups as not allowed.

gregj
February 23, 2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks Heavies. My son gave me one like this for Chrismas, so I would like to use it if I can. So if I disconnected the rear rest and used a bag, it would be ok?

9X23WIN
February 23, 2011, 11:14 AM
Greg, your Caldwell rest is okay for the match. I've use a front rest and a bipod, but at times, found it easier just to shoot with the latter. For me, a round and narrow forend has a tendency to cant, causing my group sizes to increase. That's why I rather use a non swivel Harris bipod for certain rifles like my Rem 700 PSS/hunting type stocks.

gregj
February 23, 2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks 9X23Win. I'll try it on my next attempt.

P51D
February 26, 2011, 10:42 PM
I did get the chance to get out one more time with the factory Savage 12 FV in .243. Hornady 58 gr V-Max, IMR 3031 handloads. Leupold 3-9 scope, sandbags from a bench, 100 yds. Temp 45 degrees, wind from 4 o'clock at 5 - 10 mph. Sunny day, good conditions.

I'm (now) gonna' call this a 43, 7X.

P51D

JDGray
February 27, 2011, 12:22 AM
P51D,
Great shooting! That second row 1pt could go for 3, but it may not look like 3 in person. Your call:)

9X23WIN
February 27, 2011, 01:24 AM
Excellent shooting P51! I also agree that the target on the second row is a 3. A mighty fine 43-7x should be your score. :)

Heavies
February 27, 2011, 06:56 AM
I tend to agree. 43 Very nice shooting!

P51D
February 27, 2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks, all. I had indeed originally scored it as a 43, but then got to thinking "Man, that is soooooo close", and didn't know if it would show up well once the picture was posted, etc. Looking at it again in person, it is about as close as it can get, but that "1" is indeed a "3".

Thanks for being so "High Road" on this. :D

P51D

kis2
February 27, 2011, 01:47 PM
Nice work P51!

Today was going to be my shooting day, but I think it's become my reloading day. Not that I only go out on perfectly calm days or don't enjoy a challenge, but right now the winds are over 30mph and a guys got his limits ;)

Next month! Good luck all!

P51D
February 27, 2011, 04:55 PM
Thank you, KIS2. Yes, 30 mph winds would certainly be above my threshold (and that's exactly why I didn't shoot on Friday). That would certainly make things "interesting" :eek:. Good to see how the wind plays with the bullet, but not so good for scores even in a friendly competition.

P51D

Whiskey11
February 27, 2011, 06:55 PM
Went and shot again today, I really think this load is a good solid load for this barrel, seems to shoot well enough when the idiot pulling the trigger does his job correctly :D Anyway, temp about 25* winds coming from behind to front at about 5 MPH with frequent gusts of about 20 MPH. Prone as per the norm, but snow on the ground this time which kind of chilled me down a little too much. Only shot 100 rounds today but learned that it is time to get a dedicated rear bag, the bags at the range are too frustrating to use as they leak and are not quite tall enough for me to be comfortable.

Anyway, shot another "all time best" but I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't a fluke :P A 37-5x. That is, if you agree that the second row, second to last one is a 3, it's torn well into the white on the target and there is some "powder burn" in the white, but that will be your call. 37-5x or 35-5x, either way, a new best :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/whiskey_11/2272011Target1.jpg

also shot another disturbingly small group, this time 11 rounds. One from when I shot for the competition, which the target was thrown out due to a disgustingly low score (:cuss:), then 10 more as shots 91-100 out of today. Didn't try too hard, but grouped surprisingly well. You decide :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/whiskey_11/2272011Target2.jpg

I can't wait for warmer weather when I can comfortably stay at the range all day and not freeze or feel guilty for making the RSO go out there too!

Bonesinium
February 27, 2011, 08:27 PM
I attempted to shoot this match, but as it turns out, I'm not a very good shot. I shot (at) the first 10 targets, but did not finish. At the time, I think my score was......4. The variable winds didn't help. I'm sure I will get better!

Whiskey11
February 27, 2011, 09:40 PM
What were you shooting with and how were you set up? More shooting always helps, besides, helps get away from kids, parents, significant other, and gives you a good source of stress relief. The only qualms about shooting so much that I have is the cost starts to add up :) Ohh well, stimulating the economy as they say!

Bonesinium
February 28, 2011, 07:31 PM
You called it. My main reason for shooting was stress relief! With being forced to do a 5 week course, with class 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, with 2-3 hours of homework a night, if I don't get out shooting on weekends I'm going to go insane.

Tikka T3, .308, front bipod, 6-18x40 Nikon, using Prvi Partizan 168 grain HPBT match.
First time shooting that ammo, second time shooting with the scope. Wouldn't have matter what I was shooting though, I still would have sucked. And I lied before, my score 10 shots in was a 3.

Whiskey11
February 28, 2011, 09:43 PM
I would buy a box of Federal Gold Medal Match (nearly twice the cost of the Prvi Partizan match :what:) but it is the known standard of accuracy at factory prices. If you watch out you can get decent deals online for it, usually around 30$ shipped for a box, some deals are even better. Brass isn't too bad either, mine is on it's 5th and 6th reloadings with neck size only, brass has never been annealed but no signs of splitting, primer pockets are tight enough to hold primers in and not loose either. The FGMM also shoots the 168 gr SMK's, and they also have 175gr SMK's too IIRC. I'd give that a shot.

The reports I'm reading about the Prvi Partizan are saying less than stellar performance... One guy stated 4 MOA with the Prvi, 1 with the FGMM out of a .308 700P. Worth a shot, especially if groups tighten up that much!

9X23WIN
March 1, 2011, 04:48 AM
Bones, the targets aren't as easy as it looks. I wouldn't worry about the score, with a little practice, you will be up and running.
Regarding the FGMM 168s, I've used them many times for 200yd and 600yd competitions. I can vouch that they shoot extremely well.

Bonesinium
March 1, 2011, 06:23 PM
I have 120 rounds of Federal Gold Match, but I also have some Prvi. As the Federal is more expensive, I figured why waste it when I am still learning and improving my skills when I can shoot something that cost close to half the price. To be fair to the Prvi, I shot a 1" 3-shot group just prior, and 2 roughly 2" 5-shot groups.

Whiskey11
March 1, 2011, 06:31 PM
Next time you go out try the FGMM at the match targets and see how you do. I will be the first to admit that most of the time I shoot, I get less than stellar targets, especially as the barrel warms up. Occasionally I will get a real gem of a target. If I shot sub inch ten round groups everytime I shot I would be extremely pleased with the setup and not fiddle with it or want to upgrade :).

gregj
March 5, 2011, 03:02 PM
Went to the range this am to test some new loads. I shot a 33-4x and a 34-1x. Maybe one of these days .....

TLS1976
March 9, 2011, 06:03 PM
This is a pretty neat idea yall got here.
I printed a couple targets and may try to get em to the range this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

Wylie1
March 14, 2011, 02:36 AM
I better get crackin with this 770, I've got a long way to go! :rolleyes:

TLS1976
March 14, 2011, 10:30 AM
Well, I tried it and, Man, did I shoot poorly. I'm not even gonna waste your time with posting my target. Weather permitting, I will go this Sunday and try again.

shootr
March 14, 2011, 06:43 PM
Wow!! Hat's off to everyone who's shooting - these are some great targets. Think I'll join in this coming weekend. Only have hunting centerfires that are scoped.

Hope I can see the little circles, then hope I can get them inside!! LOL!

kis2
March 14, 2011, 07:47 PM
don't give up guys! my first one was awful. those little circles are deceptively hard to aim inside of.

R.W.Dale
March 15, 2011, 12:16 AM
I haven't forgotten about you P51

Ill change that score when an update is required

Wylie1
March 17, 2011, 04:09 AM
This looks way hard! The Rem 770 is coming into it's own but it's going to take a lot of patience in letting the barrel cool between shots! I'm not even ready to try this yet and hope I can sharpen up the gun enough for a good attempt.

So is this for bragging rights or just good fun?

KSCCHTrainer
March 17, 2011, 04:08 PM
Finally the weather was nice enough to try out my friends outdoor range. It was really windy for a bit this morning, but it died down around noon and the way we arranged the berms when building the range, it wound up about 3-5 knots quartering over the left shoulder at the firing point (Guesstimate). It was swirling a bit downrange but the wind was blowing slightly left to right and toward the target. Wind was out of the South and the range is oriented South-North with the firing point on the south end. There are 15' high berms down the sides and across the target end so we can do move and shoot drills with handguns as well. The width of the lane runs about 12' but we didn't get it perfectly straight so it varies a bit.

Shot the match with my old 1940 vintage Russian capture 98K 8mm Mauser with the Chinese knock off of a Sightron 8.5-22 sniper scope on it. Set it at 12 power for the match and shot prone over a sandbag rest, no sling. Got out the tape measure and measured off 300 feet (100 yards) from the firing point to the target frame. At 12 power, the crosshairs allow one to just barely see the large circles. Shot a half dozen targets and it took that many to get the windage right! Been a couple of years since I had to do any wind judging - :D
Score is either 42 or 45 depending on how R.W. scores the upper left circle. -- turns out 45-5X

Ammo - handloads using some 197 grain surplus FMJ's, Remington brass, 14.0 grains of IMR Trail Boss powder and Winchester WLR primers.

R.W.Dale
March 17, 2011, 04:30 PM
The grease ring for that first shot clearly breaks the white

It's a little hard to tell, that's the large "factory" rifle target is it not

KSCCHTrainer
March 17, 2011, 04:37 PM
The grease ring for that first shot clearly breaks the white

It's a little hard to tell, that's the large "factory" rifle target is it not
yes -since it's a 1940 8mm Mauser with the original barrel, I used the factory target. The only reason the rifle has a scope on it is I can't see past 25 yards without optics. My tri-focals don't work beyond that for something that small - LOL!

If I had used the Mosin, I'd have shot the smaller ring target, but wasn't sure what the Mauser would do in outdoor conditions. It lived up to the good German engineering though and turns out to be worth every penny of the $300 I paid for it a couple years ago. I think if I had to use one of my rifles for serious business, I'd pick the Mauser. It's shorter and easier to handle while having pretty close to the same accuracy the Mosin has. I'd certainly put either of them up against a stock Remington 700 out to 600 yards or so with my handloads. I have quite a bit of surplus ammo for both rifles, but neither of them are target quality with anything but tailored loads though they are very adequate as combat arms with the surplus stuff I have.

Jim

R.W.Dale
March 17, 2011, 04:43 PM
Trail boss is some amazing stuff, I've done a little work with with it and it amazes me how you can have the low recoil and noise of gallery loads but still retain all the accuracy of full power loadings

KSCCHTrainer
March 17, 2011, 04:55 PM
I got started using it when I wound up having a pacemaker implant. Cardiologist put it in my right shoulder as I'm left handed so I could continue to shoot. After 90 days he'd let me shoot .22 and light loads in the big bore stuff, so I went looking and discovered several threads on Trail Boss.

I know one of the guys at Hodgdon and since they handle all the IMR stuff now, I asked him about it. He sent me the articles they had published on it and I've been playing with it ever since. I teach the formal NRA reloading course here and after going through the "Absolutely do not attempt to make up your own load data" part of the course, I have a lot of fun having the students come back (for free) on another day and I show 'em how to work with TB. I've made a few dozen converts around here and I have a freezer full of venison that was taken by others using TB loads with heavy bullets.

One of my friends' 12 year old son got his last season with his dad's old 600 Nitro Express double rifle. Of course we had worked up a TB load for some 300 grain cast lead bullets and he popped a real nice white tail buck out around 150 yards with it. One shot and the deer was DRT (dead right there)! Open sights, no less - wish I had the eyesight I had when I was 12!

Love it when a plan comes together.

Jim

JDGray
March 17, 2011, 10:46 PM
Great shooting Jim! Gives me a reason to get back out to the mud pit, and try to better my 43-10X. With all the wind we've been having, hopefully the ground will dry out a bit!

P51D
March 18, 2011, 09:30 AM
Well done, KSC! The bar just got higher :cool:

P51D

shootr
March 21, 2011, 12:47 PM
Well, I got out for a time on Saturday and no one has anything to fear as I only shot a 25. Think technique needs work and might be able

to dial-in a better load. Dunno, but will try to get out again.

Mounted up a newer scope as the old one lacks the brightness of newer ones. Good fun.

K-98, 8mm, 180 gr NBT handloads, old Weaver 3-9X scope.

hiawatha
March 31, 2011, 01:39 AM
Well, I didn't get it done. I finally scoped one of my rifles, but I haven't finished sighting it in. So I'll use this target for practicing. I'll still try it with iron sights, too!

Maverick223
March 31, 2011, 02:17 AM
Kept getting rained out...hopefully next match. :(

R.W.Dale
April 1, 2011, 03:46 PM
congratulations to the winners and all who participated this match is now CLOSED

happy shooting all

If you enjoyed reading about "Winter 2011 centerfire rifle match" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!