Attn nevada gun owners

PDA

VegasAR15
February 7, 2011, 05:54 PM
If you are a Nevada resident, then please go to these links and vote for these two bills. The legislature takes these votes and comments into consideration before voting on a bill.

SB126 will remove the requirement for you to qualify with every semi-auto on your CCW. Semi-autos would become just like the revolvers on the Nevada CCW. One key bit of wording needs to be changed before it passes though. Right now it is worded so that you can only carry a gun if it belongs to you, this would change the current law. I think this would especially affect Clark County residents because of the blue card registration.
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/AppCF/Opinion/76th2011/vwComments.cfm?drpMenu=292

AB8 would establish a Castle Doctrine in Nevada.
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/AppCF/Opinion/76th2011/vwComments.cfm
Select AB8 on the dropdown, I couldn't get it to give me a direct link.

If you enjoyed reading about "Attn nevada gun owners" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
VegasAR15
February 7, 2011, 06:03 PM
Here are the actual bills in PDF online.

SB126
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/76th2011/Bills/SB/SB126.pdf

AB8
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/76th2011/Bills/AB/AB8.PDF

RockyMtnTactical
February 7, 2011, 06:15 PM
http://www.minutemanreview.com/2011/02/attention-nevada-gunowners.html

SB126 would allow CCW holders in Nevada to CARRY any semi auto they own as long as they have qualified with one Semi Auto handgun. Take 2 minutes of your time to go to this link and state you are for SB126.

tyeo098
February 7, 2011, 06:22 PM
http://www.minutemanreview.com/2011/02/attention-nevada-gunowners.html

SB126 would allow CCW holders in Nevada to CARRY any semi auto they own as long as they have qualified with one Semi Auto handgun. Take 2 minutes of your time to go to this link and state you are for SB126.
Like.. rifles?

RockyMtnTactical
February 7, 2011, 06:30 PM
Don't know for sure, but I think it only applies to semi-auto pistols.

tyeo098
February 7, 2011, 07:42 PM
...so Nevada doesnt have CCW now? Or is it revolver-only?

RockyMtnTactical
February 7, 2011, 08:36 PM
...so Nevada doesnt have CCW now? Or is it revolver-only?

We do have CCW but it is weapon specific for semi autos. In other words, if I want to carry my Glock 27 I have to qualify with that specific gun and have it added to the list of guns I can carry per my CCW. If I go out tomorrow and buy a Glock 26 though, I can't just start carrying it. I must go and qualify with it through a NRA instructor, then I must go to the police substation and have it added on (it's a pain in the butt, it costs money and it's simply unnecessary). I still cannot carry the G26 though. I'd have to wait for my CCW to come back to me with the Glock 26 listed on it. THEN I could carry it.

That is not the case though with revolvers. If I qualify with a J-frame (for instance), I can carry ANY revolver under the sun.

This bill would essentially make it so if I qualify with my Glock 27, I can carry a Glock 27, a Glock 26, a 1911, or any other semi auto you can think of.

Got it?

WhistlinDixie
February 7, 2011, 08:56 PM
That sounds like an absolutely horrible system. I hope that Bill passes. Best of luck.

tyeo098
February 7, 2011, 09:11 PM
Now I understand it, thanks for explaining it :)

Sounds like a hassle, we dont have that here in the gunshine state!

RockyMtnTactical
February 7, 2011, 09:12 PM
That sounds like an absolutely horrible system. I hope that Bill passes. Best of luck.

It's worse than that. Clark County Residents (the county in which Las Vegas is in) are required to have all handguns registered. Super lame. We are working on fixing that one too.

Thanks.

xcgates
February 7, 2011, 09:42 PM
Question for Nevadians, does the same go for revolvers? Granted I went to the extremes of looking on Handgunlaw.com, but from the law they quoted, it sounds like the law doesn't make any distinction between revolvers/semi-autos. Yet when I look at the sample permit, it says: "revolvers authorized".

(Gathering data points, planning for trips, want to be legal in as many states as practical, etc)

RockyMtnTactical
February 7, 2011, 09:58 PM
If you qualify with a revolver and it says "revolvers authorized" (which mine does) then you are allowed to carry ANY revolver you own in NV. The new proposed law would make it the same way with semis as it is with revolvers.

xcgates
February 7, 2011, 10:21 PM
Okay, thank you, I think I get it, I also think I get a -1 in "comprehending legalese":banghead:

(Not that I'm that surprised, my dad may be a lawyer, but I followed a more respectable path.:neener:)

RockyMtnTactical
February 7, 2011, 10:28 PM
Well, there's a chance I am the one with the inability to convey my thoughts properly too. :)

WhistlinDixie
February 7, 2011, 10:31 PM
Well, there's a chance I am the one with the inability to convey my thoughts properly too. :)

You're doing just fine. Its easy to miss stuff when browsing on the internet quickly. I hope more people that live there and can do something see this thread. Thats a broken system that needs to be fixed.

Buck Snort
February 8, 2011, 12:27 AM
Well, at least in NV it can be fixed, here in the PRC we're just happy to have any CCW at all.

xcgates
February 8, 2011, 12:58 AM
@RockyMtnTactical, meh, my confusion was from the legal wording, and that I haven't looked at NV specific CC laws, not yours, which make perfect sense from the POV of someone living in NV.

Remember, politician and lawyers make the written legal language as difficult as possible as job security.:uhoh:

Oyeboten
February 8, 2011, 01:13 AM
Thanks RockyMtnTactical for posting this.

I am in Las Vegas, and, I hope this passes.

I remember when the Revolver qualification was ONLY for that exact make and Model Revolver, also.

Really silly, worse than silly.

Registration here is a nightmare also, the people who work at the Police Stations who do the registration procedure, are about the most ignorant, often nasty, totally uninformed about even the most basic Gun related details, people one could find...I really am disgusted with the whole thing.

They drop the Guns on the floor, bang the Gun against other Guns, scrape Guns on table tops and so on, and, are resentful you even bothered coming in to Register one at all.

REALLY rubs me the wrong way, especially if with some 98 percent Blue, minty lovely 'New Service' or NIB Colt 3rd Dragoon or other, having to hand it to some moron who goes in some back room with it for fourty five minutes and still can not describe it right on the 'card'...but refuses to believe anything I say as for what the Gun 'is'.

Insisting a Cap & Ball is a "44 Special" since it says "44" on the Barrel and what else COULD it be???

On and on...

Greatly worse yet, if anything really old, and, here, of course, if you have a Match Lock, it is supposed to be 'registered', then they are all flipping out about "Wherz duh Cereal Numblerz???"

I called the Sheriff a few times, telling him that if he really wants to alienate and offend the very people who he should be respecting here, just keep it up with this sort of Clown routine.

Anyway...

Hope it passes, and, I hope a few more improvements may forthcome, also.

Eeeeeesh! Horrible!

lizziedog1
February 8, 2011, 08:26 AM
Yes, our gun laws in the Silver State have some quirks to them. But it is major improvement to those of the state to our west.

Also, comparing Vegas, and Clark County, to the rest of Nevada is unfair. That area is California-like. I think the Nevada-California border needs to be redrawn. Vegas should be placed in California, Susanville and area north should be placed in Nevada.

Ronsch
February 8, 2011, 02:11 PM
So, if you wish to carry a different type of firearms (let's say one day a Beretta 92, another day a Glock, or a Ruger GP) do you have to take all of them to class to qualify with? Or is it caliber based?

I mean, that is great to get to shoot, but really...

WhistlinDixie
February 8, 2011, 02:13 PM
Apparently you have to qualify with each and every semi-auto pistol you want to carry.

VegasAR15
February 8, 2011, 03:36 PM
It is a total pain in the rear. Lets say you have a Glock 22 and a Glock 23. You have to shoot and qualify with each gun. Lets say you have a Kimber, a Springfield, and a Colt, you have to qualify with all three. Yet I can qualify for my revolver with a NAA mini revolver, and carry a S&W 629. It is a completely senseless law that is either there because they are scared of change, just pure stupid, or want the money you have to pay every time that you have to add a new gun to your CCW.

It has actually kept me from buying new concealement guns, because I don't want to go through the hassle of filling out the paperwork and qualifying, then going down and sitting at the CCW Detail and paying to add it, then waiting a few months to be able to carry it.

I am really hoping this will pass. There is also a bill going through right now to give Nevada a Castle Doctrine.

RockyMtnTactical
February 8, 2011, 04:32 PM
Good job so far but we can do better. Get on it. It will only take a minute of your time.

BlackSky
February 8, 2011, 06:38 PM
I remember qualifying for my NV non-resident CCW permit. I brought one revolver and a case full of semi-autos. LOL, it was a bit of a pain but still fun.

lizziedog1
February 9, 2011, 08:45 AM
I asked my CCW instructor about this. His theory is that every semi functions differently, so the state wants to make sure a person can handle the particular model he intend to carry. Revolvers are pretty much universal in their operation. If you can operate one you should be able to operate all of them. I have my own theory.

I subscribe to "follow the money trail" method of explaining things. Most CCW instructors charge a small fee for qualifying with a different weapon. There, that explains it.

RockyMtnTactical
February 9, 2011, 02:04 PM
I asked my CCW instructor about this. His theory is that every semi functions differently, so the state wants to make sure a person can handle the particular model he intend to carry. Revolvers are pretty much universal in their operation. If you can operate one you should be able to operate all of them. I have my own theory.

I believe TX does it the opposite. One Semi is needed to be qualified with to use any. Revolvers are done individually though...

RockyMtnTactical
February 15, 2011, 10:26 PM
UPDATE: AB143 is also a pro-gun CCW bill. It was introduced on the Feb 12th (after I originally put up this article). It will also prohibit newspapers and other media from printing the names of those who have CCW permits.

One other thing. The Nevada Campus Protection Act.

"On Thursday, February 17, the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association will meet to form an opinion on Bill Draft Request 742. This important legislation would enable Nevada Concealed Firearms Permit holders to carry a concealed firearm for self-defense on college campuses. State law allows each individual college or university president to determine their respective carry policies, but not one currently allows permit holders to exercise this constitutional right. Permit holders are among the most law-abiding citizens in the country and we need your Sheriff’s support for BDR 742 to remedy this injustice and restore the right to self-defense on college campuses.

Please contact your Sheriff today and urge him to support BDR 742 at the upcoming February 17th meeting and testify in support when it comes up for a hearing in the Nevada Legislature. Contact information is listed below."

For those in Las Vegas and Clark County.

Clark County
Doug Gillespie
(702) 828-3231
sheriff@lvmpd.com

RockyMtnTactical
February 17, 2011, 12:06 AM
Looking good.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20110216/NEWS11/110216022

ants
February 17, 2011, 12:38 AM
It's fun to speculate on why the State of Nevada has its rules.
But the truth is much simpler than speculation.

Many decades ago, when concealed carry was fairly uncommon across America, a legislature had to be very careful when devising a concealed firearms permit statue. The Nevada legislature agreed to provide permits on a shall-issue basis under the condition that each applicant demonstrates competence on every handgun he wants to carry. For 20 years we had to qualify on EVERY handgun. Each revolver, each semi-auto pistol. And each one was listed by serial number on the back of the permit.

Four years ago the legislature agreed to start a process of loosening the requirements. But to get the votes they needed, they agreed to do it incrementally. First revolvers in the 2007 session.

Now, this year they are loosening the requirement on pistols.

Our legislature only meets every other year, on odd numbered years. So they need to craft bills that definitely will pass, or we wait two years to try again.

You can speculate all you want on what the state was thinking, but it has simply been an artifact of the legislative process.

RockyMtnTactical
February 27, 2011, 04:14 AM
UPDATED 2/21/2012 - SB176 would give us constitutional carry rights for CCW, in other words, NO NEED FOR PERMITS! Go here and submit your opinion as "for" SB176.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/AppCF/Opinion/76th2011/poll/

TexasRifleman
February 27, 2011, 11:18 AM
I believe TX does it the opposite. One Semi is needed to be qualified with to use any. Revolvers are done individually though...

To clarify, if you qualify with a semi in TX you can carry a semi OR revolver. If you qualify with revolver you can ONLY carry a revolver.

But, this is Activism and let's try to stay on topic, myself included.

Good luck to NV on this! There seems to be a slow move in this direction in so many states. It's encouraging.

RockyMtnTactical
March 1, 2011, 12:46 AM
Thanks TR.

Now, back to business.

SB-176 aka Constitutional Carry

Take a look at NELIS: https://nelis.leg.state.nv.us/

No meetings are yet scheduled for SB-176.

Urge the cmte chair to schedule a hearing! Voice support!

Wiener, Valerie
E-mail Address(es):
vwiener@sen.state.nv.us
Department: Leg Bldg Rm 1219
Office: 775-684-1422
Phone: 702-871-6536
Notes:
D, Clark no 3
Chair, Senate Judiciary Cmte

It will take you two minutes and we can make a difference if we put
forth a small collective effort.

Quiet
March 3, 2011, 01:24 AM
Was there legislation introduced that would restore NICS exemption for NV CFP holders?

Thought it was being talked about for this year.

FTG-05
March 3, 2011, 09:20 AM
Good luck Nevada! Let's hope you're fifth after WY!

RockyMtnTactical
March 3, 2011, 06:45 PM
SB126 was PASSED by the Senate Judiciary Committee this morning with no amendments. It is not over, there is still some lobbying to be done as well as some other issues to be resolved, but things are looking good.

Was there legislation introduced that would restore NICS exemption for NV CFP holders?

Haven't seen that one yet. Will let you know if I find out anything about it. For the record, this is something I want done very badly as well. The state is killing me $25 at a time...

RockyMtnTactical
March 6, 2011, 12:27 AM
"Repeal the blue card"

The necessary bill to do that has been submitted to the legislature.
S.B. 176 Constitutional carry and blue card elimination.

It will be an uphill battle, if you are truly serious about getting rid of Clark County gun registration is will require a MASSIVE show of support for repeal.
This will be the bill that justifies taking a morning off from work to attend the hearing.
If you want to override the anti's and NSCA (redundant) we will have to get an overflow crowd to show up at the Las Vegas hearing room.

I would personally be very disappointed if everyone does not support both provisions of this bill.
If some of you want to support eliminating gun registration without supporting constitutional carry, that is your right.
Failure to show up at all guarantees gun registration continues.

It appears the first thing required is that we demand this bill gets a hearing, so far none has been scheduled.

SB-176 (Constitutional Carry) referred to Senate Judiciary Cmte. Perhaps this "cut/paste" list will make it easier:

Senate Judiciary Committee:

Valerie Wiener - Chair
Allison Copening – Vice Chair
Shirley A. Breeden
Ruben J. Kihuen
Mike McGinness
Don Gustavson
Michael Roberson

Email addresses:

mroberson@sen.state.nv.us; mmcginness@sen.state.nv.us; don.gustavson@sbcglobal.net; rkihuen@sen.state.nv.us; sbreeden@sen.state.nv.us; acopening@sen.state.nv.us; vwiener@sen.state.nv.us

Please urge Chair Wiener to schedule a hearing for SB-176.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/76th2011/Reports/history.cfm?ID=515

There is a companion bill in the Assembly to go along with SB176, it is AB231

PLEASE urge the Asm Jud Cmte Chairman, Asm William Horne, to schedule a hearing for AB-231.

Assembly Judiciary Committee

William C. Horne - Chair
James Ohrenschall – Vice Chair
Steven Brooks
Richard Carrillo
Richard (Skip) Daly
Olivia Diaz
Marilyn Dondero Loop
Jason Frierson
Tick Segerblom
Scott Hammond
Ira Hansen
Kelly Kite
Richard McArthur
Mark Sherwood

Email addresses:

whorne@asm.state.nv.us; johrenschall@asm.state.nv.us; sbrooks@asm.state.nv.us; rcarrillo@asm.state.nv.us; rdaly@asm.state.nv.us; odiaz@asm.state.nv.us; mdonderoloop@asm.state.nv.us; jfrierson@asm.state.nv.us; tsegerblom@asm.state.nv.us; shammond@asm.state.nv.us; ihansen@asm.state.nv.us; kkite@asm.state.nv.us; rmcarthur@asm.state.nv.us; msherwood@asm.state.nv.us

If your legislator(s) are not co-sponsors, please urge them to become co-sponsors.

Cast your 'vote' and type an optional supportive opinion at http://www.leg.state.nv.us/AppCF/Opinion/76th2011/Poll/

ColdDeadHand
March 6, 2011, 04:13 PM
Here are the actual bills in PDF online.

SB126
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/76th2011/Bills/SB/SB126.pdf

AB8
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/76th2011/Bills/AB/AB8.PDF
Don't you know? No one actually READS BILLS. That's like, SO 18th century.

RockyMtnTactical
March 6, 2011, 09:07 PM
If you are a NV resident, this is a great site to visit and this link contains ALL of the information you would want to know for what is going on in NV. Take a quick look!

http://www.nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?p=157469&posted=1#post157469

Oyeboten
March 6, 2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks RMT for the remind about nevadashooters website.

Good to visit it again!

Do you know if there any good location here in town, for registration?

I am feeling extremely unhappy with my registration experiences of the last several years, as regard the extremely low quality of personel who are assigned the registration duties.

RockyMtnTactical
March 6, 2011, 11:55 PM
Just the police substations or if you buy the gun in clark county at a gun shop they will do it.

It is a PITA to get the stupid blue cards. I have a stack of them in my wallet...

RockyMtnTactical
March 11, 2011, 12:45 PM
SB126 passed in the senate yesterday by a vote of 21-0. It now heads to the Assembly.

RockyMtnTactical
March 11, 2011, 04:14 PM
A.B. 143 passed the assembly judiciary committee this morning (3/11/11) WITHOUT any amendments, and with the privacy provision intact.

Kelly Kite made a statement for the record that he feels the bill does not go far enough, that we should simply issue CCW's that do not specify the type of firearm permitted.

A.B. 143 now moves to the full assembly for ratification, hopefully that will also go smoothly.

If it passes the full assembly A.B. 143 will have to be reconciled in conference with S.B. 126 before the the entire legislature can pass a final bill.

The combined bill is probably where WE will have to make ourselves heard, this is when the opposition will make their big push to kill the bill.

Oyeboten
March 11, 2011, 05:31 PM
Good news !

I will continue to send e-mails to the key people uring them to continue in this sensible direction.

Thanks for doing this Thread!

ArfinGreebly
March 18, 2011, 09:00 PM
I'm greatly encouraged by what I'm seeing in NV.

Hoping this all goes through. Keep pounding it, guys.

Then maybe we can look at some reciprocity with Idaho. Then I could carry without worrying about it when I visit my son in Reno.

(I had an interesting conversation with the Carson City sheriff when I lived there about the "any revolver, but ALL autopistols" on the permit thing. He began by supporting the "any revo/all autos" concept until I suggested that there were more differences between the handling of a S&W 686 DA and a Ruger Blackhawk SA than there were between an XD and a 1911. The loading procedures for the two revolvers is substantially different, and the cock-before-firing on the SA is a very different handling from "just pull the trigger" on a DA, while loading an XD and 1911 are just about identical, and shooting either one is "just pull the trigger," the only significant difference being the 1911 safety. He'd just never thought about it in any depth. Of course, talking the the sheriff doesn't change the law.)

And, of course, Constitutional Carry will be awesome. Provided the Vegas influence can be overcome.

RockyMtnTactical
March 26, 2011, 03:27 PM
We may be a few years away from Constitutional carry (many of these pro-gun bills still haven't made it out of the committee) still but we are moving in the right direction as is much of the country.

RockyMtnTactical
March 28, 2011, 05:18 AM
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/76th2011/Reports/history.cfm?ID=674

SENATE BILL NO. 279–SENATORS GUSTAVSON; CEGAVSKE, DENIS,
HALSETH, HARDY, KIECKHEFER, LEE, MCGINNESS, RHOADS, ROBERSON AND SETTELMEYER
MARCH 21, 2011
Effect on the State: No.
~
AN ACT relating to concealed firearms; revising provisions concerning the renewal of permits to carry concealed firearms; and providing other matters properly relating thereto.
Legislative Counsel’s Digest:
1 Existing law requires a sheriff who receives an application for a permit to carry
2 a concealed firearm to conduct an investigation of the applicant to determine if the
3 applicant is eligible for a permit. (NRS 202.366) This bill additionally requires a
4 sheriff to conduct an investigation of an applicant who wishes to renew his or her
5 permit to carry a concealed firearm.

This would pave the way to reinstate the NICS exemption.

Senate Judiciary Committee:

Valerie Wiener - Chair
Allison Copening – Vice Chair
Shirley A. Breeden
Ruben J. Kihuen
Mike McGinness
Don Gustavson
Michael Roberson

Cut/paste email addresses:

mroberson@sen.state.nv.us; mmcginness@sen.state.nv.us; don.gustavson@sbcglobal.net; rkihuen@sen.state.nv.us; sbreeden@sen.state.nv.us; acopening@sen.state.nv.us; vwiener@sen.state.nv.us

And the first hearing is Friday, April 01, 2011, 8:30 a.m.

Please send strong support!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Wednesday, March 30, Assembly Bill 282 will be heard in the Assembly Judiciary Committee at 8:00 a.m. in room 3138 of the Legislative Building in Carson City.
The hearing will also be teleconferenced to room 4401 of the Grant Sawyer State Office Building in Las Vegas.

Introduced by Assembly Speaker John Oceguera (D-16), AB 282 is a four point, pro-gun omnibus measure that would: 1) ensure that CCW permit holders’ names and addresses remain confidential; 2) revise Nevada state law to allow for the qualification of any semi-automatic firearm for the purposes of acquiring a CCW permit; 3) allow for the carrying of firearms in Nevada state parks; and 4) statutorily mandate a background investigation (which is currently being done by all Nevada sheriffs), on CCW permit renewals for the purpose of reinstating the NICS exemption for Nevada. This would ensure that permit holders do not have to go through a point-of-contact check for every firearm purchased, as long as the permit is valid.

Please contact members of the Assembly Judiciary Committee and respectfully urge their support for AB 282.
Contact information for this committee can be found below.

Assembly Judiciary Committee

Assemblyman William Horne (D-34), Chairman
(775) 684-8847
whorne@asm.state.nv.us

Assemblyman James Ohrenschall (D-12), Vice Chairman
(775) 684-8819
johrenschall@asm.state.nv.us

Assemblyman Steven Brooks (D-19)
(775) 684-8569
sbrooks@asm.state.nv.us

Assemblyman Richard Carrillo (D-18)
(775) 684-8801
rcarrillo@asm.state.nv.us

Assemblyman Skip Daly (D-31)
(775) 684-8563
rdaly@asm.state.nv.us

Assemblyman Olivia Diaz (D-11)
(775) 684-8553
odiaz@asm.state.nv.us

Assemblyman Marilyn Dondero Loop (D-5)
(775) 684-8833
mdonderoloop@asm.state.nv.us

Assemblyman Jason Frierson (D-8)
(775) 684-8537
jfrierson@asm.state.nv.us

Assemblyman Tick Segerblom (D-9)
(775) 684-8549
tsegerblom@asm.state.nv.us

Assemblyman Scott Hammond (R-13)
(775) 684-8853
shammond@asm.state.nv.us

Assemblyman Ira Hansen (R-32)
(775) 684-8851
ihansen@asm.state.nv.us

Assemblyman Kelly Kite (R-39)
(775) 684-8843
kkite@asm.state.nv.us

Assemblyman Richard McArthur (R-4)
(775) 684-8829
rmcarthur@asm.state.nv.us

Assemblyman Mark Sherwood (R-21)
(775) 684-8839
msherwood@asm.state.nv.us

This alert (with live links) is posted at: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6486.

lizziedog1
March 28, 2011, 08:22 AM
Provided the Vegas influence can be overcome.

There is a way to overcome the Las Vegas influence. Nevada gives Vegas to California. Heck, the new border wouldn't have to be altered that much. In exchange, the north eastern California towns like Susanville and Portola could be given to Nevada. We could could call it an even trade.:D

RockyMtnTactical
March 30, 2011, 11:49 PM
As reported by RichardSIA on AR15.com

The hearings today were kept pretty short as they went smoothly.

A.B. 185 and A.B. 205 were "Withdrawn" AKA killed.

A.B. 282 is still alive, with some amendments offered.
CCW for 18-21 year old service members is dead, it is claimed it had too many conflicts with other laws.
State Parks and Recreation is demanding a "small" amendment to the language making it "Clear" that CCW in parks would only be for defense purposes, DUH!

Four different cop lobbies supported the bill, so long as the 18-21 service member provision is removed.

NACJ is still trying to get our names published, but again did not have the sincerity to bother showing up.
Their desired amendment is unlikely to be adopted.

Eagle Forum, and the I.A.P. lobbyist supported A.B. 282 as well.
ACLU opposed the 18-21 CCW provision, OK with defense in parks, supports the privacy provision.

(Did not catch her first name) Butler from Nevada records gave a short review of the CCW/NICS Exemption history.
She pointed out that adopting "Shall perform a background check on all renewals" does NOT guarantee that BATFE will renew Nevada's CCW NICS exemption.
Copies of the various CCW bills have been sent to the BATFE lawyers, along with a notice of the legislative deadlines, hopefully they will respond before 4/15/11.
From what I know of the BATFE requirements, they would have to suddenly change the rules for the proposed "Shall" language to not meet their previously stated standards.
If A.B. 282 passes we should get our NICS exemption back.
I personally find it distasteful the the Nevada legislature must confer with this Fed. agency in any way to pass Nevada legislation.

There was no organized opposition to A.B. 282 presented at this hearing.

S.B. 126 was also heard today.

Support was overwhelming, the same lobbyist support it as supported A.B. 282.
The author, senator Settlemeyer, turned down combining S.B. 126 with A.B. 282.
This is a tactical move, if something happens to A.B. 282 his bill may still pass separately.

I was pleased to see greater participation from Las Vegas, four people spoke in support of A.B. 282, two stayed to support S.B 126.

There was no opposition to S.B 126.

ants
March 31, 2011, 12:10 AM
Note about AB185 and AB205 that died:

AB282 includes most everything found in AB185 and AB205, plus some extra things, so passage of AB282 provides more than 185 and 205 together.

RockyMtnTactical
April 25, 2011, 01:21 PM
On April 15, AB 282 and AB 321 were unanimously passed in the Assembly Judiciary Committee. Both bills are now on their way to the Assembly floor and could be heard as early as TODAY, April 25.

Assembly Bill 282, sponsored by Assembly Speaker John Oceguera (D-16), is a four point pro-gun omnibus measure that would: 1) ensure that CCW permit holders’ names and addresses remain confidential; 2) revise Nevada state law to allow for the use of any semi-automatic firearm when acquiring a CCW permit; 3) allow for the carrying of firearms in Nevada state parks; and 4) statutorily mandate a background investigation (which is currently being done by all Nevada sheriffs) for CCW permit renewals for the purpose of reinstating the NICS exemption for Nevada, thus ensuring that permit holders do not have to go through a point-of-contact check for every firearm purchased, as long as the permit is valid.

Assembly Bill 321 is also sponsored by Assembly Speaker Oceguera (D-16). This bill provides that under the defense of justifiable homicide there is no duty to retreat if the person using deadly force: 1) is not the original aggressor; 2) has a right to be present at the location where deadly force is used; and 3) is not actively engaged in criminal activity at the time deadly force is used.

Please contact your Assemblyman immediately and respectfully request that he or she support AB 282 and AB 321. For contact information or help identifying your Assemblyman, please click here.

This alert is posted at: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6675.

Quiet
May 2, 2011, 06:10 AM
Assembly Bill 282, sponsored by Assembly Speaker John Oceguera (D-16), is a four point pro-gun omnibus measure that would: 1) ensure that CCW permit holders’ names and addresses remain confidential; 2) revise Nevada state law to allow for the use of any semi-automatic firearm when acquiring a CCW permit; 3) allow for the carrying of firearms in Nevada state parks; and 4) statutorily mandate a background investigation (which is currently being done by all Nevada sheriffs) for CCW permit renewals for the purpose of reinstating the NICS exemption for Nevada, thus ensuring that permit holders do not have to go through a point-of-contact check for every firearm purchased, as long as the permit is valid.

AB282 passed the Assembly and is currently in the Senate Judicary committee.

However, prior to passing the Assembly it was amended.
Some people are speculating that the amendment was added to posion the bill and not get it passed.
Currently, the NRA-ILA is now oppossing AB282 due to the amendment that was added to it (http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=6677).

The amendment changed AB282 to read...
Section 4 of this bill revises the fee for the renewal of a permit from $25 to the amount necessary to obtain the reports required as part of the investigation by the sheriff.

So, renewal fee went from $25 to whatever amount the Sheriff of the issuing county deems is necessary.

The sponsor of AB282 is saying that the fee will be increased to around $75, but it can increase over time depending on the economy/cost-of-living/etc.

Oyeboten
May 2, 2011, 08:10 AM
And, renewal of Permit in this context means a fast look see of a person's name, in to a data base, to see if they have done any felonies, misdemeanoor Batteries or other tell tale disqualifies since last review?

This is like 35 cents worth of effort, on systems the taxpayers already payed billions for...by personell already on salary or wages.

I need to remember, that if the Sheriff or any other station of the state of nevada ever wants anything from me, he or they can talk to my accountant about how much my time, care or interest ought to cost him/them.

Eeeeeeesh!

They already get paid for doing their supposed jobs. Along with all the enormous waste and their being overall so spoiled and pampered and inept.

Ugh...

Quiet
May 13, 2011, 04:20 AM
Update on AB282.
It was ammend and passed the NV Senate Judicary committee.

The new ammendment changed AB282 to read...
Section 4 of 9 this bill revises the fee for the renewal of a permit from $25 to the amount necessary of the actual cost to obtain the reports required as part of the investigation by the sheriff.

Looks like the new amendment makes sure the Sheriff doesn't over charge. :)

RockyMtnTactical
May 13, 2011, 04:40 AM
Interesting.

Thanks Quiet.

Quiet
June 10, 2011, 01:09 AM
AB321 (http://www.leg.state.nv.us/76th2011/Reports/history.cfm?ID=671) was signed by the Governor on 05-19-11 and goes into effect on 10-01-2011.
Summary: No more duty to retreat prior to using deadly force.

AB143 (http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/76th2011/reports/history.cfm?ID=349) was signed by the Governor on 05-31-11 and goes into effect on 10-01-2011.
Summary: (1) Qualify with one semi-auto pistol and can carry any. (2) CCW permit holder confidentiality.

AB282 (http://www.leg.state.nv.us/76th2011/Reports/history.cfm?ID=597) passed by legislature and sent to enrollment. Waiting to see if the Governor will sign or veto it.
Summary: (1) Qualify with one semi-auto pistol and can carry any. (2) CCW permit holder confidentiality. (3) Allows firearms in state parks. (4) NV CCW permit holders have NICS exemption for firearm transfers.

DEAD BILLS:
AB8 "Castle Doctrine"
AB231 "Constitutional Carry"
SB175 "CCW permit confidentitality"
SB176 "Constitutional Carry"
SB279 "NICS exemption"
SB231 "Campus Carry"

mes227
June 10, 2011, 01:33 AM
AB143 was signed by the Governor on 05-31-11 and goes into effect on 10-01-2011.
Summary: (1) Qualify with one semi-auto pistol and can carry any. (2) CCW permit holder confidentiality.

Thanks for the update. If a CCW pre-dates AB143 and includes at least one semi-auto, does it then "grandfather" to all pistols or is a re-qualification required?

ants
June 10, 2011, 02:28 AM
I spent the last month and a half conducting telephone appointments with my state legislators, discussing these bills and our points of view. I am not the world’s biggest expert on firearms law, but I can share two points of information from inside conversations with the legislators, legislative counsel (lawyers to the legislature), and legislative assistants.

mes227: does it then "grandfather" to all pistols or is a re-qualification required?As it was explained to me, the approved changes to firearms law are no different than changes to our DMV laws. Even though you received your license under a past law, all current amended law applies to everyone equally. So your existing permit lists specific semiautomatic pistols, but on October 1, 2011, you may carry any semiautomatic pistol you lawfully possess. I hope they issue a memo to all POST law enforcement officers on that. At least I have the cell phone numbers of Assembly and Senate members in my wallet should any officers need clarification.

Quiet: (4) NV CCW permit holders have NICS exemption for firearm transfers.Not necessarily, we'll have to see what the Federal government does. The Feds revoked our NICS exemption when sheriffs in rural counties stopped performing background checks on renewals. The bill waiting to be signed by Governor Sandoval requires county sheriffs to conduct a full background check for all renewals, which corrects the deficiency quoted by the Federal government. However, and we gotta get this through our heads, there is no guarantee that the Federal government will reinstate the exemption. Just because we corrected the deficiency, the Feds have no obligation to reinstate exemption. I know you don’t want to believe that, but Legislative Counsel has made that point clear throughout the 2011 Legislature. There is no State guarantee that the exemption will be reinstated, only the Federal government can reinstate the exemption.

(Note: Certain local Federal officials have stated that reinstatement will likely occur, but they were not the officials who make the decisions. BATFE in Washington DC is top dog.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Attn nevada gun owners" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!