The best bullet puller

PDA

Yankee
February 7, 2011, 07:36 PM
After two years of reloading, I finally have a big enough pile of messed up rounds that I think it is time to purchase myself a bullet puller so that I can reuse the components. We have countless threads on what is the best press, best case trimmer, best tumbler etc and so I'm thinking we need one that deals with the humble bullet puller. So, what are your thoughts - what should I buy and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "The best bullet puller" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
howlnmad
February 7, 2011, 08:11 PM
I like to use the kinetic (whack a mole) puller. It comes with several different size retainer rings, it doesn't marr the bullets and it let's me releave my frustration of screwing up to begin with. The biggest problem I've had is the o-rings tend to break so I keep a pack of spares on the bench.

mbruce
February 7, 2011, 08:16 PM
I have a RCBS...probably works like all the rest...If I start a pile then i'll get a bullet puller die...they look cool

Yankee
February 7, 2011, 08:23 PM
Sorry, I should have specified that I'm looking for a hammer rather than a press-mounted tool but it seems that there'd is a wide range of systems with some using universal collets while others are caliber specific. I've also heard of some brands being more fragile and prone to breakage. Like with everything, I want to buy something simple, that works every time and which will last me for many years.

Coltdriver
February 7, 2011, 08:38 PM
I have an RCBS kinetic. Works great. I have always been careful to hit a solid piece of wood from a repeatable angle. So mine has held up. Its more about whipping the hammer than pounding. The whipping snap seems to pull the bullets with fewer strikes.

Only downside I have discovered is that I can not put the cap on with 45 70 rounds. On everything else it has worked great.

rfwobbly
February 7, 2011, 08:59 PM
There are 2 types I know of.... RCBS that's all plastic and the Frankfort Arsn kind with the hexagonal metal shaft. They both work great, but RCBS has replaced broken parts for free on theirs. I'd therefore have to advise RCBS.

murf
February 7, 2011, 09:31 PM
i vote for the rcbs. have had it for years, pulled lots of bullets. no issues. fwiw

murf

Clark
February 7, 2011, 09:41 PM
I have the RBCS collet puller, the Forster collet puller, and the Hornady collet pullet.
The Hornady cam over system is the most convenient.

I have a couple kinetic pullers, and they have their place for low number count, non crimped cartridges.

Fanky
February 7, 2011, 09:59 PM
Only downside I have discovered is that I can not put the cap on with 45 70 rounds. On everything else it has worked great.

I noticed that the cap didn't work with some 8x50R Lebel ammo I was tearing apart, old WW1 corrosive ammo that didn't go bang. I was pulling it to save the bullets and dispose of the brass and powder. I wasn't concerned with salvaging the brass, so I just tightened the collet below the shoulder and it worked for my application.

BigBob3006
February 8, 2011, 04:55 AM
Yankee,

I've never had much luck with the kinetic type puller, and if I did they seem like an awful lot of work. I've used the collet type puller with good results and suggest that it's the way to go. Two very good ones are the Forester and the RCBS. If you may one day pull pistol bullets, go with the RCBS. If you'll only pull rifle bullets then I suggest the Forester puller.

THe Dove
February 8, 2011, 09:06 AM
RF

My RCBS puller has a metal shaft??? It came with a kit about 20 years ago. I guess they've changed since then???

The Dove

DM~
February 8, 2011, 11:02 AM
Here's another vote for the RCBS kinetic... Although i do have a few others, it's the one i reach for when i need to pull a bullet.

DM

Flatbush Harry
February 8, 2011, 03:59 PM
I noted that you're only interested in a kinetic bullet puller but I'd like to share my satisfaction with the RCBS Collet bullet pulling die. I had made up 25 rounds of la .25-06 load that my rifle didn't much care for. I pulled the remaining 20 bullets in about 15 minutes with the collet die. Powder stays nicely in the cases, no hazards with the primer, bullets get scuffed a bit...all in all, I'm still liking the green Kool-Aid.

FH

ColtPythonElite
February 8, 2011, 04:01 PM
I have a Midway kinetic that I have had for nearly 20 years. From the looks of it, I'd guess it is the same one as the Frankfort Arsenal one. I just pulled a few bullets this morning. I can do 3-4 a minute with it.

tom357mag
February 8, 2011, 09:06 PM
I also have the Midway puller , works great. You can also use the shell holder instead of the collars and its much much faster. Also I put one of those foam ear plugs in the bottom to further more protect the bullet , it also works great ! Try it.
Tom

jcwit
February 8, 2011, 10:06 PM
RCBS I've pulled many, many bullets, works well, if perchance it ever does break it guarented forever. None of the others can say that.

10 Spot Terminator
February 8, 2011, 11:05 PM
DONT BUY ONE JUST YET !!!

I have the RCBS kinetic puller and thought it was great but just the other day I saw a video of Lees new press mounted puller they will be marketing very shortly and have to say AMAZING !!! It is so fast and so smooth you will wonder how come it took so long for someone to come up with it. As fast as you can feed the rounds to the shell holder and pull the handle you can pull down a round. the bullets are collected into a tray that only needs emptied after maybe 50 to 100 rounds. Its just like having a universal decapping die. It is on my list of gotta haves for sure .

CHALK22
February 9, 2011, 12:08 AM
I have the RCBS kineic, and it works great. I would suggest that instead of the little o-ring triple collet thingy, you use your shell holder off your press, it will fit in the puller just fine, is is much faster to get the bullet in/out of, and you never have worry about an o-ring again. It also makes it easier if you have not crimped your bullet yet. I usually can tell if I made a mistake, but sometimes not before the crimp. It works either way, jsut sometimes a few more whacks are needed with crimped bullets.

jcwit
February 9, 2011, 09:01 AM
But how does it work with RN pistol rounds?

Clark
February 9, 2011, 08:58 PM
10 Spot Terminator DONT BUY ONE JUST YET !!!

I have the RCBS kinetic puller and thought it was great but just the other day I saw a video of Lees new press mounted puller they will be marketing very shortly and have to say AMAZING !!!

Are you talking about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo64ElfB378

For collet bullet pullers:
Horandy cam lock - best
Forster - second place
RCBS - third place

Kinetic pullers:
Good for a small number of pulls
Hit something solid, like a rockchucker frame.
Hit it hard.
Put something soft in head to stop the bullet from being damaged when comes loose.
Not good for crimped bullets.
It is possible it use a shell holder instead of rubber band 3 piece collar that comes with it.

evan price
February 10, 2011, 05:17 AM
+1 on the RCBS. I have a green with metal handle which I think is RCBS but it's old.

If you don't care about salvaging the bullet (such as corroded milsurp etc.) I just remove the dies from my press, put the round in the shell holder, raise the ram up all the way, grab the bullet with vice grips, then lower the ram. The vice grips stop on the top of the press and the case goes down. Mangles the bullet but if you don't care, it is fast.

Sniderman
February 10, 2011, 07:41 AM
Kinetic
I've got a Frankfort Arsenal Kinetic, Bought it because it was the cheapest. (Yeah, that's how I roll for Accessories,) It's great for disassembling the odd round. The two things I've found are that it will distort the nose of a bullet because of the four molded in gussets inside of the nose of the hammer. This problem is solved, Like Tom357mag says, by putting an earplug in the hammer. the other thing many run into is that they're not hitting a hard enough surface with the puller. The physics of the tool demand a sudden positive stop for it to perform well. Out of curiosity/boredom I've played with smacking it on several different materials. Wood, the wood will dent and absorb a lot of the energy, you really have to wail on it to get the bullet to release, especially if it's being pulled because of too much crimp.
Tried it on a 1" thick piece of pure lead, dented the H#*L out of the lead, again,need to whack it pretty hard, the lead absorbs a lot of the kinetic energy.
The best I've found is a 1"x4"x4" piece of cold rolled steel that sits on the end of my bench, one medium/light swing and the components are in the hammer tube.
Been doing it that way for years, always works in one shot, with anything I'm disassembling.
If I was looking to pull a lot of bulets at one sitting, Say, someone here on the boards gave me a hundred or a thousand rounds that I wanted to reload with different components, (Hint, I'm open to this, guys!) I'd definitely go with a good die, however for the one/two at a time the kinetic works fine if you smack it on the right surface.

DM~
February 10, 2011, 10:55 AM
I have the RCBS kinetic puller and thought it was great but just the other day I saw a video of Lees new press mounted puller they will be marketing very shortly and have to say AMAZING !!! It is so fast and so smooth you will wonder how come it took so long for someone to come up with it.

aaaaaww, they did! Lee copied Forester and Forester started makeing that puller a zillion years ago... lol

DM

GLOOB
February 10, 2011, 08:12 PM
I use the Cabela's kinetic puller. I think it's basically the same as the RCBS - all plastic.

The trick is to hold the very end of the handle, and grip lightly, like a hinge. When the head smacks against w/e you're striking, the head doesn't just stop. It bounces the other way. If you grip it too tight, you lose out on the bounce.

I've pulled 100 luger bullets at a time. I also have a foam ear plug trick. Put a pair in your ears when you pull bullets! :)

The only issue I have with mine is that the aluminum shell holders show some wear after that many rounds. When worn down, they will occasionally slip if the cap isn't screwed on really tight.

I've tried using my Auto Prime shell holders, and I don't like it. It's slower, and the shell can slip off center and fall out or get crooked. Whoever thinks they're faster, dunno why. With the elastic o-ring shellholder, you just push the cartridge in rim first, and it snaps into place while pushing out the empty case from the last one. You just have to make sure you're using the right size. Mine came with 4 different sizes. And make sure the rounded side is facing up!

Word to the wise: kinetic pullers work better with heavier bullets. I wouldn't want to pull a case of .223 with one.

cheygriz
February 10, 2011, 10:38 PM
I have both RCBS pullers. Both work.

I finally broke down and bought a Forster.

The two RCBS pullers are going to be Xmas presents to someone this year. :p

raddiver
February 11, 2011, 12:13 AM
Honestly, i love my collet style puller. No loud noises to scare the dogs, no powder all over the place, no broken bands, etc.
And i can pull faster with it than i can with a kinetic.

10 Spot Terminator
February 11, 2011, 12:56 AM
No it wasnt the RCBS collet puller in a Lee press and the initial demo video I saw was only showing rifle rounds. I should have stored the video in my favorites as I happened accross the link on a thread while I was forum surfing. No BS this thing was slick . The guy was pulling down a round every appx. 5 seconds with the bullets pushing though the die and collecting in a tray much like their push through bullet sizers do . If I can find it again I will save it and post the link. Maybe we should contact Lee and see if they need some field testers :rolleyes: FOUND IT !!! HERE IS THE LINK ,,,,,,,,,, http://wwwyoutube.com/watch?v=yzNTuQuebvs

jcwit
February 11, 2011, 08:48 AM
I've seen the video but still wonder how it works with pistol rounds?

Another forum sayes these won't be available till 2012, who knows?

ranger335v
February 11, 2011, 02:50 PM
"i love my collet style puller. ... i can pull faster with it than i can with a kinetic. "

Not on most handgun ammo or really small for caliber rifle bullets that are seated deep.

unknwn
February 11, 2011, 02:53 PM
A trick to using a kinetic/hammer type is to crank the cap tight after each whack.
If the bullet doesn't pop out, crank the cap tight & try again.
This keeps the collects from disintegrating prematurely.

jcwit
February 11, 2011, 03:21 PM
read in the instruction sheet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A trick to using a kinetic/hammer type is to crank the cap tight after each whack.
If the bullet doesn't pop out, crank the cap tight & try again.
This keeps the collects from disintegrating prematurely.

OMG we're supposed to read the instructions?

Actually, thanks for posting that, I've used my RCBS puller for years and have yet to need to replace the collets, course I read the instructions.

243winxb
February 11, 2011, 06:50 PM
The teeth marks in 55FMJ's didn't hurt accuracy at all. Still using this > http://www.matadorcoupe.com/seebee65/channel_lock.jpg with the press. :D

FROGO207
February 12, 2011, 06:52 PM
Like Clark I vote for the Hornaday cam over style and love it. This is great for the rounds that you can grip well. For the pistol round nose ones with little straight surface a FA whack job is my other answer. Just remember to "measure twice and cut once" and the rip apart count will always remain low.:D
It seems that Lee has designed a similar tool to the CoAx puller that has indeed been around forever.

gamestalker
February 12, 2011, 08:15 PM
I just bought a kinetic puller yesterday and just love it. I've really never had a need for one in all the years of hand loading until a seating mistake with 20 rounds of 7mm rem. mag. the other day.

giggitygiggity
February 13, 2011, 01:34 AM
I have the RCBS kinetic bullet puller. It's $10-15. It has worked flawlessly and has pulled .40SW, .45ACP, .223REM, .30-06SPNG, .308WIN crimped ammo without a problem. Usually two or three whacks on the concrete basement floor does the trick.

kingmt
February 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
I don't know if I would call this the best but since the collet on my RCBS striped out I had to find something to make do until it can be fixed. It work excellent for rifle but doubt it would work for most handgun.

136271 136272 136273 136274

Yankee
February 14, 2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks everyone. Based on what I've read here, I've decided to go with the RCBS. Now, can anyone tell me the cheapest place to buy one?

altitude_19
February 15, 2011, 07:22 PM
WHOA! Try Lyman. I've used mine for quite a few botched cartridges and it's only a dollar more than the RCBS on Midway. Have a look and I think you'll be impressed.

SpeedyR
February 15, 2011, 07:44 PM
nice thread. I've had the RCBS for about 20 years and it works fine for everything exept I picked up some 348 Win reloads from a shop a few weeks ago that I want to keep the brass. given the price of new brass (about $80 a bag) I really don't want to mess it up, and the collets won't fit into the kinetic puller when I put the 348 round in it.

I'll try it with the shell holder hadn't thought of that, but I did see the RCBS makes a 348 collet for their press puller, so I may try that if the shell holder doesn't work. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "The best bullet puller" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!