Is a bore guide really nessisary?

PDA

Fatelvis
January 2, 2004, 03:47 PM
For a bolt action, if you already clean the bore from the breech end, is a bore guide nessisary? I thought is was just to protect the action from solvent/oil.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is a bore guide really nessisary?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lycanthrope
January 2, 2004, 04:21 PM
I never use one, but I'm also very careful during insertion and my CLP (FP-10) won't hurt anything on the gun.

Abenaki
January 2, 2004, 04:26 PM
Bore guildes are a good thing. Ask the guys that shoot benchrest rifles.
With out a bore guild you can damage the rifling where it starts in the chamber. It also helps to center the cleaning rod in the bore....it is possible to damage the full length of the bore with out a bore guild.

Do most people use them? No.

Abenaki

Smoke
January 2, 2004, 04:48 PM
If I had 4 figures or more in a benchrest gun that I competed with...yes.

In my knock around hunting guns.....um, no.

Then again, it depends on how anal you are. :D :neener:

Smoke

ClarkEMyers
January 2, 2004, 05:08 PM
One wise head suggested a bore guide will concentrate wear on a particular spot in the throat - especially with a monte carlo or other high comb setup that might bend the rod consistently or when the handle hits the butt. Something to think about.
Then again I do tend to use bore guides myself.

ocabj
January 2, 2004, 07:57 PM
I'd recommend using the bore guide, especially if you don't use a coated rod like a Dewey.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is a bore guide really nessisary?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!