I need help!

PDA

gamestalker
February 8, 2011, 09:30 PM
Yesterday my Son's (all grown adults) and my Wife came strolling into MY reloading room and politely asked me to take a break to discuss something very important. I explained that I was right in the middle of something extremely important, and would get with them in a few minutes. My Son'e walked over to me and politely said, " Dad, we all have something that needs to be discussed right now please". With some aggrevation I complied and said OK, what is on your minds? They began to describe my daily activities which were mostly my secluded life in the reloading room or trips to the gun shops for more supplies. My response was rather a confused response of "so what's the problem?" We have all collectively decided that it's time for an intervention, you are addicted. They continued with pointing out how everything I do is scheduled around when the tumbler stops, the hours of the gun shop, eating dinner while looking up data at the dinner table, and so on. My Wife mentioned having found a hidden stash of rifle powder in my underwear drawer to which I responded, it's not mine, it's for a friend. That's when she reminded me I don't have a social life, unless the folks at the gun store count. She then displayed a syringe and asked me to explain. I told her the truth, it's for squirting acetone into the bottom of rifle brass to clean any left over lube out. I told her I can stop reloading any time, I'm not addicted! So to calm the histeria down a little I agreed to reduce my habit down to no more than 2 lbs. of powder a week. I'll just step the powder charge down some to stretch it a little further, she won't figure it out.
On a more serious note, the intended humor of their little skit was enjoyed. But I started to really think about some of what they said, and much of it was fact. I really don't have social life to speak of, because I do spend an enormous amount of time in the reloading room or out shooting. I eat some meals cold because I'm sometimes involved in a loading process I don't want to interupt. To make time management even more of a problem is the fact that I an very maticulous in that I won't use anything but a single stage press, I weight every single powder charge, I keep my brass separated in containers according to it's number of cycles, and I spend a lot of time preparing my brass, tumbling before sizing and after triming, reaming and chamfering, turning, and using a Q tip to get any left over residue out of the primer pockets after using the primer pocket tool. I admit I am probably a bit obsessive about hand loading. I can just load my brass without a lot of time invested into preping the brass, it wouldn't feel like I would be doing the process right. My initial reason for starting this hobby over 25 years ago was to build ammunition that is far above that of a factory round, and at it's potential best.

If you enjoyed reading about "I need help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GLOOB
February 8, 2011, 09:39 PM
Don't worry, that's nothing. I spend more time in the reloading forum than I do reloading! Talk about nonproductive.

ReloaderFred
February 8, 2011, 10:04 PM
I thought this thread was going to involve a problem? I think they're out of step with the rest of us, so it's their problem, not yours..........

Hope this helps (but I doubt it).

Fred

noylj
February 8, 2011, 10:34 PM
The question is: why aren't they helping you if they want to spend time with you?
The family that loads together, stays together.
Besides, now you have to go back and figure out where you were and get rid of any in-process loads so you don't slip up.

1SOW
February 8, 2011, 10:34 PM
athe obvious solution is to order more 'reloading supplies' so you'll have time to spend 'out'side the reloading room.

I'm thinking a press so fast and reliable (and expensive), you could save many of the steps you're using now.

I'm SURE they'd appreciate your self-sacrifice and time saving efforts. :uhoh: :D

jeeptim
February 8, 2011, 10:49 PM
It's been two day's since my last load.
I need to get to a meeting

Hondo 60
February 9, 2011, 12:16 AM
I KNEW there was a reason I got divorced. :D

Jesse Heywood
February 9, 2011, 12:36 AM
My wife encourages me to go to the basement and load or smith. Funny thing, I keep hearing the front door, and strange noises. Should I be concerned, or thankful?

bds
February 9, 2011, 01:02 AM
When my wife's friends raise concern about my reloading and shooting hobby (passion) and related time/money spent, she smiles big and tells them, "Do you know where your hubbies are when they claim to be fishing, golfing, hiking etc.? I know exactly where he is and we go to the range together" with a wink.

Now that our son is out on his own, my wife and daughter help me sort brass, deprime and resize cases (I got his and her reloading benches setup). I do the hand priming and reloading part. Of course, we are all eager to empty those cases at the range so we can reload them again. :D

On a more serious note, if there is any break-in/home invasion threats around the house, I KNOW that my wife will cover my back with the AR and G22 at the ready while I reach for the shotgun and M&P45.

The family that reloads and shoot together, stays together.

You don't need help nor intervention. Your family needs a lesson on family values and reality orientation. Just kidding. If there is any concern on your family's part, I would ask them if they preferred a couch potato who does nothing but channel surf and suck down cases of beer as husband/dad. Interesting perspective change, huh?

My initial reason for starting this hobby over 25 years ago was to build ammunition that is far above that of a factory round, and at it's potential best.
Yes.

mbruce
February 9, 2011, 08:43 AM
It's better than you partying with Charlie Sheen.

calaverasslim
February 9, 2011, 08:56 AM
Mbruce, just look at the sweet, airheads he hangs with....

My wife sez the only reason I shoot is to give me something to reload. That would be true BUT!!!

I have many thousands of empty brass ready to reload. Don't need to shoot. Just more room to store this stuff.

Spend too much money on powder? She asks why I need to buy 8lb kegs all the time. I tell her I am running low.

Am I a reloadaholic? NAAAWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

bds
February 9, 2011, 09:37 AM
Imagine what a pack-a-day smoker spends on cigarette. At $4.50 - $5 per pack, that's $136 - $152/month or $1642 - $1825/year.

Many "social" drinkers will down several drinks/drafts at $3.50 - $5 per glass. Even drinking few times a week during dinner (i.e. glasses of wine), that could easily exceed $40 - $50/week, $160 - $200/month or $1920 - $2400/year.

My reloading habit/addiction of 8 lbs of powder at $110-140ish (http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/), 5000 primers at $100-$125ish (http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/), 3000 9mm lead bullets at $165 (http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=9&secondary=8), 1000 45ACP lead bullets at $72 (http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?pageNum_rsCWResults=1&category=5&secondary=13), 1000 40S&W plated bullets at $88 (http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/), 2500/2700 40S&W jacketed bullets at $298 (https://secure.mooseweb.com/montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.tpl) don't cost as much:

5000 9mm lead = $450
5000 40S&W plated = $600
2500 40S&W jacketed = $450
5000 45ACP lead = $500

Even though I reloaded 10,000 rounds of mixed pistol bullets a year (lead, plated, jacketed), it would cost around $1000 (5K 9/lead, 2.5K 40/plated, 2.5K 45/lead) - $1500 (5K 40/jacketed, 2.5K 40/plated, 2.5K 45/lead) depending on the caliber/bullet type + tax/HazMat/shipping.

kbbailey
February 9, 2011, 09:38 AM
Gamestalker, I can help.....
Find a cap'n ball revolver that you like, and reload/shoot/repeat. You can only reload 6 at a time...thus getting you out of the reloading room more often-er. No brass to tumble. No cases to trim. No primer pockets to clean. Etc. All the time you save can be spent cleaning your gun.
To the local gunshop for powder and caps...you can make the rest.

mbruce
February 9, 2011, 09:44 AM
The wife started bringing up my time spent on the THR.... I told her it was better than me lurking on Craigslist.... so she moved on and started watching a Jersey Shore marathon...

Peter_S
February 9, 2011, 10:45 AM
I really don't have social life to speak of, because I do spend an enormous amount of time in the reloading room or out shooting.

I consider my time at the range to be my social life. Women don't understand that guys can be social without having to TALK all the time. The fact that my ear protection isulates me even more from any converstaion I choose to ignore makes my "social time" even more enjoyable.

MrOldLude
February 9, 2011, 10:47 AM
You should spend more time with your family doing things everyone enjoys.

mcdonl
February 9, 2011, 10:51 AM
Set reloading and shooting aside. Your wife and family came to you with a problem. It may only be a percieved problem on their end but none-the-less it is a problem and in my opinion needs to be addressed.

To me, being a husband, a father, an employee and a citizin all come before my hobbies. Your priorities may be different but you should consider reaching out and asking your wife and kids from time to time... hey, do you want to do something together.

Advice is free, do with it as you choose.

bds
February 9, 2011, 10:57 AM

Balance in family life is good. My family balance reloading/shooting with camping and riding quads on sand dunes/mountain trails/deserts. Depending where we camp/ride, we can setup targets and shoot from our camp location.

For some reason, my family is more willing to help with reloading than maintaining quads in the garage ... :uhoh::D

We run family game nights during the week where our daughter gets to choose her choice of board games. And wife gets a "date night" of her choice. Keeping your wife/kids happy will pay back with them keeping you happy too.

What goes around will come around.

Go forth and "mingle" with your family with a big smile.

mbruce
February 9, 2011, 10:59 AM
Life's hobbies has a starting load and a maximum load...the "sweet spot" is somewhere in the middle...finding that sweet spot depends a lot on the bullet your shooting and if you are shooting with Starline brass or once-fired brass....regardless we always need to check our loads on life's balance beam -- because if it is more or less then the scale will be tipped....

If I can put that into 3 lines then I could have a Haiku

mbogo
February 9, 2011, 11:07 AM
Put a lock on the door to your reloading room, and engage it every time you enter or leave.

It keeps the riff-raff and interventionists out. :D

mbogo

kimbernut
February 9, 2011, 11:22 AM
"On a more serious note, the intended humor of their little skit was enjoyed."

I'm not quite as meticulous as you are but my family has jokingly done the same.
We had friends we haven't seen in ten years over this past weekend. He used to reload,hunt, and shoot quite a bit with his boys(all grown now). They are from Texas but have been working in Canada for the past year or two. At the first lull in conversation we guys retired to the "man-cave" (wifes quote) which is my office, shop, and reloading room. We went to the range while the girls went yarn and needle shopping. He hasn't shot in a while but things began to quickly come back to him- especially when the 1911 came out. He had forgotten how much he missed it. When we got back home he spent a couple hours studying (ogling) pistols on the web and we talked about how things were in Canada. He's got a bit more work in the north country but I think the itch to get back home has started. To help insure that occurs I gave him a Stephen Hunter novel (Pale Horse...)for the plane trip back.
A bit off topic maybe but I for one am glad to be an American in America where I can enjoy our chosen pursuits.

Blackrock
February 9, 2011, 12:22 PM
Since my wife passed away four years ago I have set up my Man Cave in the smallest bedroom and now have three metallic presses and two shotgun presses and ALL the gear I need. Just me here all the time so I can work in there anytime I want to. My range is three miles up the road so I can sometimes get two cycles of relaod/shoot in on any given day.

My daughter will jokingly ask me to come into town and join her for lunch or dinner if I am not too busy. She does join me for some trap shooting twice a month.

I do have a pretty active social life as well as a girl friend.

orionengnr
February 9, 2011, 01:51 PM
My wife encourages me to go to the basement and load or smith. Funny thing, I keep hearing the front door, and strange noises. Should I be concerned, or thankful?
If your neighbor asks why the Marine Corps Band bus was parked in your driveway...you might have a problem. :)

BigJakeJ1s
February 9, 2011, 05:44 PM
Maybe an investment in automation may help reduce the time spent on your reloading, without taking all of the individual attention out of handloading. There are some handloaders that have developed precision reloading routines around progressive presses, usually involving multiple passes through the press (but still much less time than a single stage). If you insist on weighing and trickling every charge, an electronic powder dispenser will save a lot of time (They probably take as long to measure out a load as you do, but you can do something else while it is weighing out the next load). Also, case prep can be sped up quite a bit with the right equipment. Sounds like your family might be willing to "invest" in some of this equipment if it meant you would be available for them more often (but not if it just means you can spend the same amount of time, and reload more!).

Andy

mcdonl
February 9, 2011, 05:58 PM
If you insist on weighing and trickling every charge, an electronic powder dispenser will save a lot of time (They probably take as long to measure out a load as you do, but you can do something else while it is weighing out the next load).

If the OP plans to CUT BACK to 2+ pounds a week AND is weighing and trickling every charge then he has a big problem :)

GLOOB
February 9, 2011, 06:26 PM
If I can put that into 4 lines then I could have a Haiku
Of course, you really meant 3 lines. :)

mbruce
February 9, 2011, 07:10 PM
Of course, you really meant 3 lines. :)
haha..fixed...typo ? heh

Hardtarget
February 9, 2011, 11:22 PM
There are four posts that made me look to see if I had made them! Honestly, I've thought maybe I was spending too much time reloading...or planning it...or talking about it in the last year. Wifey just rolls her eyes :rolleyes: any time I start. She just does not like to listen about guns. I don't know why...she is on the couch and asleep in short order and there is nothing worth watching any way!! :mad: So, I go to the loading area, and enjoy myself. :D

Mark

ps: can't forget...there is the time on THR! :what:

Ohio Gun Guy
February 10, 2011, 12:08 AM
My wife was getting a few jabs in the other day about my Collection.....I pointed out that if you add up what I have spent in the last few years on guns, ammo, etc. it really isnt that much. Plus, most of my spending comes from gifts, bonuses, other legitimate cost savings. She has Girl friends with husbands that have other hobbies (Music, Golf, sports, cars, tv's, alcohol, etc.) some of these activities get much more costly, time consuming, and on occasion resulted in big problems for the couple / family.

She didnt think my hobby is so bad. Plus guns are one of the few things you can buy that retains value (or much of the value depending on how fast you want to sell, & if you buy right*.)

However, everything should have limits & your family time should be important (Not sure how much of the OP's post was sarcasm).

If you enjoyed reading about "I need help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!