Looking at the Kahr PM9 vs the New CM9

PDA

rellascout
February 9, 2011, 01:58 PM
I am looking for a BUG/summer carry gun and I think I am going with a Kahr. I was hoping to like the Ruger/Sig/Kimber mini 9s introduced at SHOT more than I did.

So the real question becomes is the PM version of the Kahr worth the extra $$$. I know the CM9 is not out yet but well have all seen the CW9 and the CM9 I assume is going to be on par with it.

The budget series guns come with more MIM parts right? They also ship with only 1 mag. I am assuming that this gun is going to hit the street at right around $400 + shipping & Transfer or Tax etc for a local sale.

The PM9 runs about $540 + shipping and transfer. It comes with 2 mags, dovetailed sight and poly rifling... what else am I missing?

What else am I really getting for my extra $140?

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking at the Kahr PM9 vs the New CM9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jlmdlm
February 9, 2011, 02:09 PM
I think that the price difference will be closer to $240, but I could be wrong. I would assume that the CM9 will have traditional rifling and no dove tail front sight just like the CW series.

rellascout
February 9, 2011, 02:25 PM
OK so the front sight dovetailed and it has poly rifling.

I can get a NIB Kahr PM9 with the tutoned finish for $540.

Skylerbone
February 9, 2011, 03:19 PM
Figure $520 for a CW9 with NS and extra mag. at $400/$80/$40. That levels the price point a bit but gives you a good SD set of sights on the CW. It also gives you an opportunity to decide which second mag. style you want, +1/extended or flush fit.

Tough choice, too close for me to call.

heeler
February 9, 2011, 03:28 PM
Who knows,perhaps the PM9 will drop a bit in price after the CM9 comes out.
I just bought a PM9 two weeks ago with the nights sights and all I had to compare it to was a Kel-Tec PF9(no contest) and the CW9.
the CW9 was $375 and the PM9 so outfitted with the night sights was $655.
Big difference in price I know but I chose the PM9 due to it's overall smaller size and weight and I wanted a pistol without MIM parts.
The finish was nicer as well.
Hopefully this weekend I can finally get around to shooting it.

memphisjim
February 9, 2011, 03:31 PM
i seecamp still planning a 9mm?

Retired in 2001
February 9, 2011, 03:32 PM
Loving my new Ruger SR9c accurate at 20 feet was able to keep most of them in the black

rellascout
February 9, 2011, 03:32 PM
Figure $520 for a CW9 with NS and extra mag. at $400/$80/$40. That levels the price point a bit but gives you a good SD set of sights on the CW. It also gives you an opportunity to decide which second mag. style you want, +1/extended or flush fit.

Tough choice, too close for me to call.

These days the CW9 is $366 + $80 for nights you install yourself and the mag is stil $40. Total $86 + $10 Transfer. I was very tempted by these at that price but I am not a fan of MIM and the overall smaller size of the PM9/CM9 really appeals to me for this roll.

If you run the same numbers I assume the CM9 is going to be at least $417, this is what the CW45 is selling for at Buds right now. +$80 for nights + $40 for mag = $537.00 + $10 transfer.

To confuse the issue even more I can get a PM9 tutone with nights for $650 + $10 transfer.

So the $120 difference seems to be holding up. LOL

I am not really interested in a seecamp or a ruger SR9c. I am all for hearing comments on the PM9 and the newly introduced CM9 not other guns. Please lets keep this on topic.

heeler
February 9, 2011, 03:57 PM
Actually Rellascout when I handled the CW9 it fit my hand a bit better than the PM9 but as the other issues I mentioned previously (and I had the cash on me) I chose the PM.
I checked Bud's prices the night before I headed out to the gun show so when I saw the asking price I went ahead and bought it.
That's a very good price on the one your looking at as well.

rellascout
February 9, 2011, 04:05 PM
I have smaller hands so both fit me pretty well. I felt that the CW9 is just a hair too big to be a true pocket pistol for me.

heeler
February 9, 2011, 04:14 PM
My sentiments exactly.
Understand I currently carry a Diamondback 380 so coming from that small and light was the key ingredients.

rellascout
February 9, 2011, 06:26 PM
Pocket holster recommendations?

Tuckable IWB?

Guillermo
February 9, 2011, 06:30 PM
I have a PM9 and would prefer to have a P9.

The slight extra length to the grip makes a huge difference in shootability.

rellascout
February 9, 2011, 06:34 PM
I have a PM9 and would prefer to have a P9.

Cool what size are your hands?

heeler
February 9, 2011, 06:46 PM
Rellascout,after buying my PM9 I posted the same holster question in the holster forum but basically didn't get very far.
Fortunately the Kahr website has a very large selection of holsters that fit whatever Kahr model your looking for and show pretty decent pictures of them.
I wished more makers did this on their websites.
I had a holster maker called RKBA Holsters make one for my Diamondback and it was well made,leather,and most importantly completely covered the trigger.
I am thinking about a Mitch Rosen Premier OWB I saw on the Kahr site as it looks well made and uses snap on straps so you dont have to undo your belt to put it on or off.
Still kind of undecided on the IWB as the little bit I wore one with my Colt Mustang I found it pretty uncomfortable especially driving or bending over to pick something up.
Not sure I understand the love others have with this setup.
And when I hear that people say they carry a full size 1911 etc. using one I have to truely wonder how that do it and carry on a normal function of driving,working,etc.

Guillermo
February 9, 2011, 07:03 PM
Cool what size are your hands?

I would say average but you know how we guys are...

judge for yourself

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/BillLoeb/photo.jpg

The Lone Haranguer
February 9, 2011, 07:46 PM
Can you put night sights on the CM? It was my understanding for a long time that you could not do this with the pinned sights, but things seem to have changed. An extra magazine (I recommend the extended 7-round to use as a reload, as comes standard with the PM9) will cost you around $40, so that narrows the price gap some. As for a pocket holster, I recommend the Mika. I used one to carry my PM9, but was forced to sell the gun. :mad: Although it isn't much to look at, it is 100% functional. http://frontiernet.net/~akim

The Lone Haranguer
February 9, 2011, 08:12 PM
While there certainly is a difference, the P9 doesn't fit in your pocket very well, either. :)

Skylerbone
February 9, 2011, 08:42 PM
Rella, unless I'm missing something the CM9 will simply be the 3" version (.6" shorter barrel) of the CW9 with a slight grip reduction as well (.5" shorter). The P and C series pistols look to share parts with a simple change of (ie.) CW9 or P9 added to the #, even the cost is the same. By that rationale the CM would have the same MIM part count as the CW, that being one, the slide stop.

What you get with a P series is a rollmark slide vs. engraved, a contoured slide top (fluted corners), dovetail FS, extra mag. and of course a match polygonal barrel rather than conventional rifling. I do believe that (slide stop excluded) all other parts are the same between say the PM and CM. I can't stake my life on it but why offer identically priced replacement parts that are dimensionally and functionally identical.

Just found an excellent review here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436399

Guillermo
February 9, 2011, 10:01 PM
the P9 doesn't fit in your pocket very well

true dat

then again, I don't think that the PM9 does either

But that is just me

9mmepiphany
February 9, 2011, 11:06 PM
I think comparing the P9 to the CW9 would be very comparable to comparing the PM9 to the CM9.

I took a very hard look at the CW9 and P9 before deciding to go with the CW...I just wasn't too sure the Kahr platform was going to work for me...so I went with the smaller investment.

The biggest difference is in appearance. The contouring, engraving and beveling really do look very nice and I do like the look of the dovetailed front sight too. Whether the look is worth it to you is a personal choice. The only MIM part is the slide stop lever.

I'm now quite taken with the Kahr platform and even had the action slicked a bit, so it's too late to sell it now. I have though about turning it into a Covert model by cutting the butt frame down to PM length and keeping the longer barrel

pktrkt
February 10, 2011, 02:06 AM
I carry the PM9 in a uncle mike's #4 pocket holster and it is truly a pocket pistol, IMHO. Depending on what my duties are that day I alternate with a LCP in a #3 uncle mike's and other than the added weight of the PM9 they fit in the pocket really well. YMMV

Ben86
February 10, 2011, 07:36 AM
IMO the pm9 is not worth the cost for all the bells and whistles compared to the cm9. I wish it would have come out before I bought the pm9, then I could have saved about $230.

usp9
February 10, 2011, 07:46 AM
IMHO, the question to be answered concerns the three main differences between the the P line and the C line.
* Slide color, the P comes in black, the C doesn't.
* Polygonal barrel. The P has it, the C doesn't.
* Choice of night sights. C is limited, more choice on the P

If none of these features matter to you then the CM9 is the gun for you. If one or more are important to you, then the PM9 is your choice. Otherwise the two guns are the same, for all practical purposes.

VBVAGUY
February 10, 2011, 08:48 AM
My opinion is that the CM9 would have to sell under $400 to compete and make it more attractive against the PM9. One of our LGS here when they have the PM9, they sell it for $525 the last time I saw it. God BLess :)

rellascout
February 10, 2011, 08:48 AM
Great comments guys. I think I am leaning towards waiting to put my hands on a CM9 and take a look at them side by side. This is going to be a throw it in the pocket gun. It is not a BBQ and I think unless there is something that glaring I am going to go with the new CM9.

kokapelli
February 10, 2011, 09:22 AM
Pocket holster recommendations?

Tuckable IWB?
I have a DeSantis SuperFly pocket holster for my PM9 that also has a removable flap to hide the outline of the the pistol.

I don't think you will find a more functional pocket holster for the PM9 than the SuperFly.

http://ompldr.org/vMzQxZw/SuperFly.jpg

heeler
February 10, 2011, 10:13 AM
What kind of material is that Desantis holster made out of.
Looks like nylon.
If it is can the trigger be accidentally be pulled??

rellascout
February 10, 2011, 10:28 AM
IIRC Neoprene inside and rubber outside. The rough texture is for retention in the pocket.

Ben86
February 10, 2011, 10:39 AM
Looks like nylon.

Nope, I have one of these:

http://www.blackhawk.com//CatalogImages/18-82-IMG4.jpeg

It's a Blackhawk #4 made of nylon and keeps the trigger nice and safe. I've actually tried to pull the trigger through the holster with my finger to no avail.

The superfly is even more stiff, so not a chance. It's one of the best pocket holsters IMO.

kokapelli
February 10, 2011, 01:07 PM
Looks like nylon.
No the trigger can't be pulled when in the holster because the trigger is completely covered.

Yes it feels like a very heavy nylon type material and all the dots are like a rubbery material that grab the inside of your pocket like flypaper and prevent the holster from moving and or coming out with the pistol when you draw. I guess that's why it's called SuperFly.

The extra concealment panel is attached with velcro and can be attached to either side of the holster or just not used at all.

Luis Leon
February 10, 2011, 05:42 PM
VBVAGUY, I'm liking your opinion...:)

Jbabbler
February 21, 2011, 10:29 AM
http://www.gunblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/2-17-2011-8-52-32-PM.jpg

kokapelli
February 21, 2011, 10:41 AM
I don't think the CM9 actual retail is going to be anywhere near that. For instance here a local dealer's price.

http://ompldr.org/vN2kzdQ/CM9.jpg

Jbabbler
February 21, 2011, 10:46 AM
Nevermind... I see that that is from Davidsons. Disregard

randytrapper
February 21, 2011, 11:09 AM
So the CM is a CW with 1/2" removed?? Correct?

FCastle88
February 21, 2011, 11:39 AM
Actual price on the CM9 should be $400-$420 at most, everywhere I looked online the PM9 is $600+, so the price difference should be about $200.

mustachio
February 21, 2011, 12:09 PM
I have never seen a NIB PM9 for less than $625. However, I prefer the PM9 to the CW9 because it is more concealable and the recoil is still easy to handle. Mine has functioned perfectly since day one.

rellascout
February 21, 2011, 12:12 PM
PM9 $549 + $ 25 shipping no CC Charge is the best deal I could find.

FCastle88
February 21, 2011, 12:30 PM
PM9 $549 + $ 25 shipping no CC Charge is the best deal I could find.
Would you mind posting where you found them that cheap? The best deal I could find was $625 shipped from Buds.

Jitterbug
February 21, 2011, 12:58 PM
I purchased a black PM9 with night sights back in 2004, it's been carried in a $13.00, DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster just about every day since.

I'm running about 1500+ rounds through it...carried a lot seldom shot.

Still runs great and is very accurate, the finish is very durable. I carry 147 Grain Gold Dot's.

For target practice it's usually the cheapest I can find...recently I started reloading again and will do so for this gun.

I purchased a S&W 442 with Crimson Trace grips, for the wife, it's a nice little gun, but really no comparison, she shoots the PM9 much, much better and so do I, even though I've carried and shot various snubs in the past. By comparison the 442 recoil is punitive.

No disrespect to the snubs, they have their place.

I'm shopping for another mini-9mm and it will probably be another PM9.

It's really a enjoyable gun to shoot, and I just started shooting it a bit more and plan to do more in the future.

Kilgor
February 21, 2011, 06:01 PM
I bought a new PM9 Saturday.

$519 + $29 shipping + $20 FFL transfer = $570 out the door :D

Local the best price was $639 + $60 tax = $700 out the door. :cuss:

I bought from www.GTDist.com They didn't charge anything extra for using my credit card. They had 4 in stock as of Saturday. I bought 1 of them and it will be here Wednesday. :neener:

kokapelli
February 21, 2011, 06:20 PM
I bought a new PM9 Saturday.

$519 + $29 shipping + $20 FFL transfer = $570 out the door :D

Local the best price was $639 + $60 tax = $700 out the door. :cuss:

I bought from www.GTDist.com They didn't charge anything extra for using my credit card. They had 4 in stock as of Saturday. I bought 1 of them and it will be here Wednesday. :neener:
When I bought mine Davidson had five different versions of the PM9.
there were three different versions with bright stainless slides, one came with night sights and one with the bar sight and one with a loaded chamber indicator. Then there where two with blackened stainless slides, one came with night sights and one came with the bar sight.

There is a difference of up to $150.
I just wondered which one you purchased for $639?

Kilgor
February 21, 2011, 06:33 PM
I purchased for $519, not $639. :D

Stainless slide with white bar dot sights. The same gun my local shop wanted $639 for.

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=KAHR-PM9093

kokapelli
February 21, 2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks, I got the prices crossed.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking at the Kahr PM9 vs the New CM9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!