22LR ? Target pistol.... or...

PDA

nyb631
February 9, 2011, 10:41 PM
Hello all I just sold most of my arms...

Now just got a carry and a home arm.

after tax time im looking for a target fun pistol...

I see that marlin has a nice 22LR ~$250 with scope. (scope=must)
but im a person that has to have the warranty.

Im looking for high Capacity.

or maybe a Wheel 22LR with a scope & (long barrel).

Im new to 22LR quality arms so any help will be very nice.

If you enjoyed reading about "22LR ? Target pistol.... or..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
22-rimfire
February 9, 2011, 11:14 PM
Ruger Mark II/III and 22/45 and the Browning Buckmarks are always a good choice for a fun 22 pistol.

If you buy a revolver, stick with Smith & Wesson if you are buying new.

High capacity.... the M&P-15 (22LR) is always a good choice for fun. Ruger 10/22's are fun and there are lots of aftermarket accessories including larger capacity magazines.

I find it rather difficult to answer your question(s) as I am not sure what you are asking exactly... you seem to want a 22 rifle and handgun, but are open to just about anything. You didn't even say anything about accuracy.... that's almost refreshing.

BlkHawk73
February 10, 2011, 06:58 PM
I see that marlin has a nice 22LR ~$250 with scope. (scope=must)
but im a person that has to have the warranty.

Im looking for high Capacity.

or maybe a Wheel 22LR with a scope & (long barrel).

Marlin makes a handgun? With a scope? No warrantee? You're confusing me here.

High-cap or "wheel gun". Apples or oranges...

You really gotta narrow down your criteria and have an understanding of what you want. Also, for the amount, you're not exactly going to get a true "target" handgun capable of any match performance. Might be marketed as a "target" gun, but it's still more or less a fancied up plinker.

nyb631
February 11, 2011, 01:16 AM
Im looking for a target gun but Im hearing (reading) a lot of con/pro
on a lot of companys when the 22LR is taken into the weapon.

I want something that has a scope or add a scope.

Im a big wheel fan but I cant find many wheel guns that can use a scope..

The PLR 22 from kel tec is kinda where im leaning...
and it comes with a threaded barrel..

I just want a target gun that can shoot Kinda far,,
Ruger charger and PLR 22 kinda what im looking @ but a marlin 60 is kinda nice

marlin $160
charger $275
plr 22 $280

$300 is going to be my limit.. so im kinda like grrrr
the marlin is 37 " long
the plr 22 is 18 " long
charger is 19" long

grrrr

BCRider
February 11, 2011, 01:31 AM
If you really must have a scope I'd say that a rifle of some sort might be better suited for you. The desire for a scope and longer barrel seems to suggest you want to shoot mostly at longer ranges. So again this points to something more in the form of a rifle. A COMPACT rifle perhaps but a rifle nontheless. Or is it a case of you enjoy handguns but your eyes just aren't what they used to be?

22-rimfire
February 11, 2011, 11:42 AM
I would suggest you look at the Savage and Marlin 22 rifles mostly. The Marlin Model 60 is consistantly a good choice as is the Ruger 10/22 if you want the larger capacity magazine capability. The Marlin will more than likely be alittle more accurate out of the box. Both look good with scopes and are handy rifles. The Savage Mark II series (bolt action) are a good value.

The Ruger Charger might be a lot of fun. But if you are shooting "kinda far", you're better off with a rifle. It is basically a 10/22 shortie.

Unless you are comfortable with scoped revolvers, I would stay away from them. The Ruger Single Six is always a good choice and would work scoped just like their center fire revolvers. Not sure if they come drilled for scopes however like their newer centerfire revolvers. The better revolvers simply cost a lot more than your budget unless you buy used. Added: Good to moderately good handgun scopes will run as much as your total budget.

If you stick with the major manufacturers, the factory warranties their product even if you buy used.

The better choices with the AR styled 22 rifles will generally run you in the area of $500 new which exceeds your budget.

I have not heard much about the new Keltec product other than their pocket centerfire pistols. So I can't offer a serious comment other than I tend not to buy their stuff. I stick with Ruger and Browning and both can be scoped and make excellent target 22 pistols. There is a reason why folks buy lots of these, they are reliable and generally very accurate. Reliability is crucial with a 22 pistol. Again... budget constraints come into play here.

sixgunner455
February 11, 2011, 03:40 PM
Some variants on the Single Six are scope ready - the Hunter model is the only I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure I've seen others.

If you want a rifle, get a rifle. If you want a pistol, get a pistol. The half and half method isn't really that great a compromise.

If your budget is $300, and you want a target gun, and you want a scope, you may have to compromise on something. I would get a rifle at that price range, and I would not worry about the scope until I have the rifle. I would spend near the 300 for the rifle, and then save up again for the scope.

I think the Ruger 10/22 is what you want. High capacity - they have long mags for it that hold 25+rounds.

BlkHawk73
February 11, 2011, 06:19 PM
Again, you say you want a handgun but then mention the Marlin 60 which is a rifle. It's apples & oranges still. Then you say you want to shoot "pretty far". Well, that's relative. Some target shooting is 50 feet, other is 100 yds or more.
You can scope about any firearm within reason.

Re the PLR22...not a target gun by any means. It's more of a gimmicky, spray and pray, really informal plinker. Threaded bbl is a plus why? If $300 is the top end of your budget, is a thread bbl necessary if the tax stamp alone for a suppressor is $200. About as far from a revolver as you can get too.

With what it seems, I'd think the Charger would be a good one for you. As stock, with a scope (it comes with a mounting base) it'll likely be very fitting for your purposes. As time and $ allow, there's a nearly endless number of parts you can add to it for upgrades.

22-rimfire
February 11, 2011, 09:59 PM
I'll keep it simple: Rifle > Marlin Model 60; Handgun > Ruger Mark III with 5-5.5" heavy barrel. Take your pick. I suspect the Ruger will run a bit more than your budget. Don't buy junk 22 handguns. You'll just end up being unhappy and later buying another one.

btg3
February 11, 2011, 10:14 PM
Don't buy junk 22 handguns. You'll just end up being unhappy and later buying another one.

Truth.

BBroadside
February 12, 2011, 10:17 PM
Don't buy junk 22 handguns.
-btg3
I wouldn't dream of ignoring this advice. However, I do have my eye on an NEF with a swing-out cylinder. Any opinions on NEF? Is this something you definitely want to handle before buying?

22-rimfire
February 13, 2011, 12:50 AM
I don't have any experience with NEF revolvers, but I assume they are the reincarnation of H&R revolvers. H&R revolvers were inexpensive and comparable to things offered by such companies as Charter Arms. The triggers on 22's will be very heavy in double action, heavy in single action but tolerable, and the revolver was somewhat poorly finished but very functional. Accuracy was okay.

My first revolver was the H&R 999 which was their premium DA 22 revolver. I was inexperienced with revolvers and initially loved the revolver. My love for the revolver slowly faded due to excessive blow back of hot lead and powder particles onto my hands. At first, I thought this normal. Once I got a Colt, I never shot the H&R again. The same would have happened if I purchased a Smith & Wesson 22 revolver at that time. The Colt or Smith product is much better but much more expensive. So, it's your call. I would handle the revolver before buying and check it out carefully.

Is it a "junk 22 revolver"? Close.... in my opinion. But many like the H&R's due to price.

Added Comments about lower priced 22 revolvers: You hear many mixed comments on Taurus rimfire revolvers. Personally I have stayed away from buying a Model 94 Taurus. But they really look good in the store and I have more than once picked one up to seriously consider buying. You don't hear about the problems with H&R that you do with Taurus revolvers. That may be because we have gun forums now and back in the day, they didn't exist. Most folks know when you spend $150 for a revolver, it may be the luck of the draw. The real Tier III and Tier IV junkers (like RG's) may well have made it to the scrap yard by now. My impression is that most H&R revolvers are functionally reliable and I don't know if I can say that about Taurus 22 revolvers. But perhaps, "most" Taurus 22 revolvers are okay. But you really hear a lot about the other 49%. :)

oldfool
February 13, 2011, 02:32 AM
Ruger MKs and Browning Buckmarks are easily scoped, as are S&W k-frames, and all are plenty accurate out to 100 yards, all those can hold their own against a Marlin 60 rifle
especially the 10" bull barrel MK II, if you run across one (like k-frames, not made anymore)

all those do qualify for most folks as quality firearms
there are some longer barrel revolvers in the Taurus Tracker lineup, though I would not rate them as high as the others named

never much cared for the ergonomics of scopes on most handguns myself, but the 10" Ruger is well suited for that sort of thing (I do use a 2X pistol scope on that), and 10 rounds in 22LR is capacity enough for most folks

$300 is a tad thin for quality though

If you enjoyed reading about "22LR ? Target pistol.... or..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!