Birthday gifts and state lines.

PDA

Rusty Shackleford
February 9, 2011, 09:44 PM
My grandmother (she's 90 years old) has several nice old guns. In the last year, my cousins asked her if they could have some of them and of course, she said yes. The only long gun they didn't take is her 20 gauge side by side. I really like it and she has no use for it. She hasn't touched her long guns in over 20 years. They've just been sitting in the back of her closet. Well, I asked her for the 20 sxs for my birthday coming up.

Before anyone jumps on me, she still has her .357 that lives under her pillow and a .32... so no one is leaving granny defenseless. That light 20 gauge would break her shoulder though. She's fallen a couple times and had broken bones in the past couple of years, but anyway.

Problem is, she lives in SC and I live in GA. Any technical rules I should know about? I know handguns have to go through an FFL, but long guns? It's not being sold. It's not a straw purchase. We aren't mailing it. Neither party is a prohibited person. So what are the rules?

NEVERMIND. Search is your friend. Sorry mods.

If you enjoyed reading about "Birthday gifts and state lines." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JMSUN
February 10, 2011, 12:24 AM
It is a long gun so there should be no problem. If it was a handgun then you would unless there is some way around the regulations for a gift (which i doubt).

LiENUS
February 10, 2011, 12:33 AM
jmsun doesn't he still need to go to a ffl for a long gun?

Quiet
February 10, 2011, 10:08 AM
Federal laws prohibits the transfer of firearms between non-licensed residents of different states, unless the transfer is done through a FFL dealer in the recipiant's state of residence.

To be legal, the firearms (handguns and long guns) need to be transfered through a FFL dealer in GA.

IF the transfer complies with both states' laws, a FFL dealer can transfer a rifle or shotgun to a non-resident.

Art Eatman
February 10, 2011, 10:12 AM
The last line in the opening post says he already found the answer...

Sam1911
February 10, 2011, 10:21 AM
To be legal, the firearms (handguns and long guns) need to be transfered through a FFL dealer in GA.

Just for clarity: The long-guns could be transferred through a dealer in EITHER state.

If she was giving him the handguns, they could only be transferred by a dealer in Rusty's state.

If you enjoyed reading about "Birthday gifts and state lines." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!