Raging Bull .44Mag Shell Extraction Problem

PDA

BigMustard
February 10, 2011, 05:35 PM
I bought a Taurus Raging Bull 8 3/8'' from cheaper than dirt last Monday. It arrived at my FFL on Wednesday. Saturday I took it to a friend of mines who has some land so we could shoot it. Unfortunately the only ammo I was able to find was this Winchester 240 grain JSP.

http://www.canadaammo.com/images/T/726640-01.jpg

(I'm only using the link for the picture. I bought it at a local Academy)

The first 6 rounds fired fine. I tried to eject them and they would not come out of the cylinder. I literally had to pound them out with a cleaning rod. Not knowing if I got a bad bunch or what I fired 6 more and had the same situation happen.

Do you think it is an ammo problem or a gun problem?

I have never owned a Taurus before and am a little hesitant to try another load if the gun could be to blame. I would like to keep all my fingers in working condition as long as possible.

Any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Raging Bull .44Mag Shell Extraction Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 10, 2011, 05:42 PM
Well, I would at least try another box of different ammo before passing judgment on the gun.

But it sound's like rough chambers, or a tight bore causing high pressure if it does it with some other brand of ammo too.

rc

BigMustard
February 10, 2011, 05:49 PM
I forgot one more thing. As I was firing the second set, when I came to the 5th round one of the spent shell casing would get stuck and the wheel would not turn.

Could that also be from the ammo?

ExTank
February 10, 2011, 06:43 PM
I had a similar problem some years ago with a Colt Peacekeeper. (http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6612/peacekeeper6de.jpg)

It was due to bad ammo, in one instance causing the case to separate and lodge between the cylinder and the forcing cone.

I agree with rcmodel. Ditch the current ammo and try something else to see what happens.

BigMustard
February 11, 2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks, I should have some new ammo this weekend. I'll keep ya'll posted.

If you enjoyed reading about "Raging Bull .44Mag Shell Extraction Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!