Is CA trying to ban the M1A and Mini 14?

PDA

DJ E.
January 3, 2004, 01:10 AM
Say it isn't so! I was in looking at an M1A and the Mini 14, and the guy behind the counter told me that CA is trying to rewrite the AW laws that would classify them as assault weapons. I went to another gunshop to look at more rifles and they said that it was Diane Feinstein doing it. I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but is there any truth to it?

The guy at the first gunshop was also stating that last month the supreme court ruled to extend the asssault weapons ban. I don't know what to make of this.

DJ

If you enjoyed reading about "Is CA trying to ban the M1A and Mini 14?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
redhead
January 3, 2004, 01:27 AM
I don't think it's California. I think that it's part of the reauthorization of the federal AW ban. It looks like the new and "improved" law will ban nearly all semi auto rifles. I'm just going from memory here, and don't have a link to anything to confirm or otherwise. I'll have to do a little looking around to see if I can find that information again.

DJ E.
January 3, 2004, 01:59 AM
Hmmm...this doesn't look good. In all honesty, while I am sitting here hoping and praying and writing letters to have the AW ban go away for good, my gut tells me it isn't so. And usually my gut is right.:banghead:

I appreciate the info redhead. Let me know if you find any more info. My searches are turning up nothing.

Looks like I have to get it in gear and buy some guns:evil:

Telperion
January 3, 2004, 02:35 AM
They were talking about H.R.2038, a Federal bill to radically expand the AW ban. It's not meant to pass; it's a bogeyman to scare people into passing S.1431 which is a straight reauthorization of the current ban.

The Supreme Court last month refused to hear a challenge to the CA state AW ban. They could not vote to extend it because it is already permanent, and if it were limited, only the legislature (not the courts) could extend it.

I think your gunshop legislative scholar is trying to sell you a rifle. :D

artherd
January 3, 2004, 08:02 AM
Not anymore than they already do (ie, not by nature, but subject to 'feature restrictions' that are a little silly. Ie no pistol grips, or grenade launchers ):confused:

Your gun store was likely speaking of a proposed alternative new FEDERAL AW ban, that is not likely to get anywhere at all. Infact, the fed ban very likely will expire in September! YES!

In CA, the state AWB does not expire, and also from my understanding, cannot be ammended to include more guns in the 'series' ban, withought repealing the current ban (and thus allowing another 'window' in which new 'AWs' could be purchased and registered. Ie, anything not listed HERE:
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regs/aw.htm

The entire text can be found here. http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/ It is simply a must-read for any semi-auto (or otherwise) gun owner.

TheOtherOne
January 3, 2004, 09:23 AM
I think your gunshop legislative scholar is trying to sell you a rifle.That's the truth. My brother-in-law bought two AK-47's pre-1994 at a gun show just because he was convinced they were going to soon be banned. They definitely would not have been effected. They don't look "evil" at all. They both have hunting stocks (no pistol grips), no bayonets, no grenade launchers, heck he didn't even get the cleaning rods with them. :)

DJ E.
January 3, 2004, 02:23 PM
I think your gunshop legislative scholar is trying to sell you a rifle.

Yeah, that's what I figured. But being CA, you just never know sometimes:scrutiny:

Thanks for the links artherd.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is CA trying to ban the M1A and Mini 14?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!