Please Correct My Dad!

PDA

ZEB
February 12, 2011, 09:41 PM
Around 10 years ago, and uncle of his told him, that it was illegal to shorten a barrel on any firearm made after a certain date. I call BS. Ive read NC gun laws, and most federal, that pretain to things that would affect me. This is not about class 3 weapons. Its about taking a shotgun, made some time in the 70s, and cutting the barrel from 28" to 26" then possibly reaming and tapping it for choke tubes. Is this legal in NC?

If you enjoyed reading about "Please Correct My Dad!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dovedescending
February 12, 2011, 10:01 PM
That's legal pretty much everywhere, I would imagine. So long as you don't chop it below 18", breech-face to muzzle, it's fine.

Tommygunn
February 12, 2011, 10:49 PM
The NFA of 1934 prohibited shotguns from having barrels less than 18'' and rifles with barrels less than 16" to civilians without a appropriate tax stamp and a $200 tax payment per individual weapon. These weapons are registered in the National Firearms Registry.
Some states outright prohibit ownership of these weapons.
Your father probably heard about this but has mis-remembered it or something.

Sam1911
February 12, 2011, 10:57 PM
Around 10 years ago, and uncle of his told him, that it was illegal to shorten a barrel on any firearm made after a certain date.This is not true in almost any way. No federal or state (that I've ever heard of) laws prohibit altering barrels or swapping barrels on shotguns, rifles, or handguns -- unless such a change would reduce the overall length of a shotgun or rifle to below 26," and/or the barrel of a rifle to less than 16", or the barrel of a shotgun to less than 18". (One or two states have a 30" overall length of long guns, I believe.)

This is not about class 3 weapons.There is no such thing as a "class 3 weapon." There are "Class 03 Special Occupational Taxpayer" FFL dealers, who are specially licensed to sell National Firearms Act regulated "Title II" weapons, like short barreled shotguns & rifles, silencers, destructive devices, machine guns, and "AOWs."

Its about taking a shotgun, made some time in the 70s, and cutting the barrel from 28" to 26" then possibly reaming and tapping it for choke tubes. Is this legal in NC? Absolutely legal.

sig220mw
February 12, 2011, 11:07 PM
Federal law states that a long gun has to be at least 26 inches in overall length with a rifle having at minimum a 16 inch barrel and for a shotgun an 18 inch barrel. Some states may have further restrictions and you will need to find out.

I have a friend that used to think that a sawed off shotgun was illegal no matter the length. The Texas State Rifle Association has a flyer describing Texas gun laws and I had to show it to him in writing before he would believe me.

I know what you are going through.

Sunray
February 12, 2011, 11:14 PM
Hi. I'd bet that thousands of fixed choke barrels have had choke tubes installed. No need to cut the barrel if it's thick enough. Unless you just want the 26" barrel. There's no law, Stateside, that says it's illegal.
You'll probably save yourself and your da a lot of arguments by just having the choke tubes installed. It isn't terribly expensive either. Up here, it runs $100Cdn plus the cost of the tubes. Likely less or around the same in NC. Choke tubes are less expensive, but not by much. They run $20Cdn, up here. Not far off that from Brownell's. Depends on the make of the shotgun and the tube though.

Black Knight
February 14, 2011, 05:52 PM
What make and model is the shotgun? If it is a Remington 870 or Winchester 1200/1300 you may be able to find a new barrel that will meet your dad's needs cheaper than cutting the barrel, crowning it and installing a new front sight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Please Correct My Dad!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!