Defensive Weapons legal to travel with

PDA

bwsmith
February 12, 2011, 11:06 PM
Just curious about this one. i am starting to travel a lot by air and I don't care for not being armed other than my keys and wits. Are there any defensive items that are legal to carry on a plane or in carry-on? I see on the TSA site that even Kubatons are prohibited as carry on. Don't want to break any rules, but I would feel better on the streets of Detroit, Chicago, or D.C. with a little more than good judgement.

If you enjoyed reading about "Defensive Weapons legal to travel with" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kingpin008
February 12, 2011, 11:14 PM
Plenty: hairbrushes, cans/bottles of water or soda, umbrellas, car keys, cell phones, canes, sturdy ink pens or mechanical pencils, laptops...

Seriously, we're surrounded by weapons every instant of every day. You just have to be smart enough to recognize them as such when/if you need them.

bwsmith
February 12, 2011, 11:43 PM
A good solid ink pen was on my short list.

hirundo82
February 13, 2011, 01:38 AM
A solid flashlight makes a good kubotan and is legal to carry everywhere (except TSA won't allow "combat" flashlights with a crenellated bezel onboard). I use a Surefire Z2, but even Mini Maglites were designed with defensive use in mind.

docnyt
February 13, 2011, 12:38 PM
A sturdy belt? A tightly rolled magazine?

And while we're on the subject, does TSA allow regular flashlights as carry on these days?

yinyangdc
February 13, 2011, 01:20 PM
You know, with that "knee problem" you have, you really should start using a cane:)

Tom609
February 13, 2011, 01:25 PM
Definitely the cane. Checkout this other THR link of an ongoing dialog on the benefits of a cane...
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=557323

mrslim
February 13, 2011, 10:13 PM
Take ya one of those big mag lights! One swing with that baby and they'll drop like a brick. ink pins are always good too. just got to get creative with your weapons thats all

kingpin008
February 13, 2011, 11:12 PM
Take ya one of those big mag lights! One swing with that baby and they'll drop like a brick. ink pins are always good too. just got to get creative with your weapons thats all

He's looking for items able to be carried on the plane with him. If you think that TSA is going to let someone board a plane with a big old Maglite in tow, you haven't flown in awhile...

Diamondback6
February 14, 2011, 01:35 AM
One of the 2-AA-size Maglites might work. And a Zebra F-701 ballpoint pen, which has a solid-metal shaft. Several F-701's, actually*... I love how they just look at my pens when they clear X-ray, hand 'em back along with my keys and pocket-change and say "have a nice day".:)
*Gotta have at least one for each of the threat's clavicles, right?

zoom6zoom
February 14, 2011, 02:32 AM
Spare socks. Roll of quarters. Some assembly required.

nalioth
February 14, 2011, 09:46 AM
Seriously, we're surrounded by weapons every instant of every day. You just have to be smart enough to recognize them as such when/if you need them.Bingo!

The mind is the weapon, all else but tools - anonymous (but might have been me - darned CRS)

If you enjoyed reading about "Defensive Weapons legal to travel with" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!