.32 S&W Long Fans?

PDA

lizziedog1
February 14, 2011, 07:41 AM
Are there any other fans of the .32 Smith and Wesson long cartridge here? I have a Colt Pocket Positive in this caliber. It is a fun gun to shoot. I also have a Ruger Single Six in the magnum version, but I shoot a lot of longs through it. They are my plinking rounds, I save the mags for serious work.

I realize it is a rather anemic round. I realize that it is rather limited in usefullness. However, it has little recoil and is cheap to reload. I mainly use lead bullets.

Who else like this old tiny cartridge? What guns do you have in it?

If you enjoyed reading about ".32 S&W Long Fans?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DickM
February 14, 2011, 08:05 AM
In addition to being anemic and a lot of fun to shoot, it's deadly accurate in the right gun. I use a Walther GSP in .32 S&W in Bullseye competition and the gun can easily put 5 shots into one not-very-ragged hole at 50 ft. (The shooter is a different story, however).

M1A Ray
February 14, 2011, 08:15 AM
i have a very old mod 36 in s&w 32long...anyone out there interested/?

thnx
ray

Ala Dan
February 14, 2011, 08:18 AM
I have a 1971 Smith & Wesson model 30-1 (round butt, 2" bbl) .32 S&W Long
that was my deceased fathers carry piece; and its not for sale~! ;) :D

MMCSRET
February 14, 2011, 08:51 AM
I have and shoot 5 revolvers chambered for 32 S&W Long as well as 32 Magnum and 327 Magnum revolvers. 32 caliber is my favorite handgun caliber in its various chamberings. I cast 4 different 32 caliber handgun bullets and load and shoot 32 Auto, 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Magnum, 327 Federal Magnum, and 32-20. All told I have 11 handguns in 32 caliber chamberings. Yeah, I like it; a lot!!!!!!
Oh, I forgot, I have a lovely little Colt Police Positive in 32 Colt also, it shoots 32 Short Colt and 32 Long Colt. So that makes 12 handguns in 32 caliber.

NCsmitty
February 14, 2011, 09:04 AM
I acquired an H&R model 732 round butt last summer, and load for the 32 S&W long with my cast 77gr bullets that I use for my 32ACP. It's a fun cartridge, cheap to shoot and sufficiently accurate.
The H&R with 2.5" barrel is easy to slip in the pocket for walk-abouts.

NCsmitty

tinygnat219
February 14, 2011, 10:20 AM
It's a fun soft-shooting round. It's also the only centerfire round I can get my wife to shoot with any regularity. Magtech makes it in LRN, and Georgia Arms makes it with an 85 Grain JHP. She shoots it out of a Charter Arms "Lavendar Lady" 5 shot revolver chambered for .32 H&R Magnum. It's a delight to shoot.
I will tend to recommend this chambering over a .22 LR or .22 Mag mainly because it's a CENTERFIRE cartridge with little recoil.

For my "arsenal" in .32 S&W Long, I have a Colt Police Positive dated ca. 1922that was originally shipped to the NYPD. This is the wife's next favorite gun as the DA trigger is nice and smooth. For my last gun, I have a Charter Arms Undercoverette in .32 S&W Long. This is a very fun gun to shoot as there is virtually no recoil.

W.E.G.
February 14, 2011, 10:24 AM
I don't think any of the .32 caliber rounds are very good for self defense.

But, if I got shot in the head with one, I might change my mind.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/rightsidewithammo.jpg

EMC45
February 14, 2011, 10:57 AM
I have a Model 30 no dash flat latch nickle 3 in. RB. It is neat. got it for 140 bucks last year. I cast 4 different types of bullets for .32 cal. I wouldn't feel unprotected carrying it. I am looking for others too. They are fun!

February 14, 2011, 07:13 PM
The only one I have that's chambered in .32Long is an old 3" Rossi, but I have a lot of .32H&R's and shoot the Longs quite a bit in them. I like the .32 Long a great deal as it has a light appetite for powder and lead so it's dirt cheap to shoot and it's so accurate that it makes me look really good.

bergmen
February 14, 2011, 08:09 PM
Are there any other fans of the .32 Smith and Wesson long cartridge here? I have a Colt Pocket Positive in this caliber. It is a fun gun to shoot. I also have a Ruger Single Six in the magnum version, but I shoot a lot of longs through it. They are my plinking rounds, I save the mags for serious work.

I realize it is a rather anemic round. I realize that it is rather limited in usefullness. However, it has little recoil and is cheap to reload. I mainly use lead bullets.

I would LOVE to find a Super Single Six in .32 H&R Magnum. I know they made them back in the day but they are hard to find these days.

Dan

Beach Nut
February 14, 2011, 08:14 PM
I still shoot .32 Long on occassion. It is a pleasant round for target shooting
and plinking. It is still popular in Europe because of good accuracy with the
right gun. I have a S & W Model 30-1 snubbie I shoot with from time to
time. It is easy on the hand but it is getting hard to find in factory ammo.

420Stainless
February 14, 2011, 09:09 PM
I am a fan, but not yet an owner. Some day soon I will buy one of the S&W's in .32 Long that roll through the local shop periodically.

Pyro
February 14, 2011, 09:29 PM
Present!
I even found some JHP from Magtech.

karlsgunbunker
February 14, 2011, 09:52 PM
I shoot it in my Nagant Revolvers.
LRN and WC both shoot great.

SlamFire1
February 14, 2011, 10:03 PM
I have one, it is accurate. If low recoil is a virtue, than there two good things about it.

The 32 S&W Long is so low powered it is hard to tell if it hit the gong. It does not have enough momentum to make the thing move.

It find it hard to believe that mine was carried by a Reserve Officer. That guy was lucky he never shot anyone with it, as that would have made the perpetrator mad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Pistols/ReducedM31serialnumber403754rightsi.jpg

evan price
February 15, 2011, 02:45 AM
I load and shoot the 32 Long in a couple guns. I have a 1907 Colt's New Police and a H&R 732. I also put them in Nagant revolvers.
I cast a Lee 95-gr roundnose slug and also load up single .320" buckshot pellets for gallery rounds. Cheap, easy recoil, lots of fun.

Loyalist Dave
February 15, 2011, 09:46 AM
For my grandfather I got him a Smith & Wesson .32 Regulation Police, as he wanted something with more umph than a .22, but his arthritis prevented him from using a semi in .32 ACP, and a .38 special hurt to shoot. It was the right cartridge for him, and he shot the revolver very well. Not the best idea for a SD round, but he was good with it.

In the late 1980's I helped instruct several classes of new shooters, women only, at the Sir Walter Gun Club in Raleigh. It was a class for women who had never shot, and they needed to bring the handgun they were going to use for home SD. One of my favorite students was a lady on the (iirc) City Council, who had inherited a 6-shot detective revolver from her late husband. He had opted for a six-shot in .32 Long, instead of the five shot .38 special, as he wanted the extra round. Well, at 7 feet she shot a jagged hole center mass, and at 25 feet she had a group the size of fifty-cent piece. The head instructor agreed that the round was a bit "light" for SD, but when he saw her using the revolver at the 25 foot target he said, "I wouldn't want her shooting at me with it. :D

LD

rogertc1
February 15, 2011, 11:01 AM
it is a caliber for girls...like tinygnat...

Wil Terry
February 15, 2011, 12:07 PM
I own and shoot S&W 32LONG sixguns in 2", 3", 4", and 6". ANYONE who thinks a 100GR SWC bullet from 900FPS up to 1150FPS from those four sixguns is an anemic proposition is kidding themselves. Take the same bullet from 1150 to 1300fps [ or 100GR JHP bullets if you prefer..] from the S&W 4" 32MAG or the 5 1/2" or 6 1/2" RUGER SSM and you have a cartridges that kills all out of proportion to it's diminutive size.
We won't even take the time to talk about the 32/20 and the new 327 cartridge...

LouisianaMan
February 15, 2011, 08:39 PM
I had a 30-1 that was a great gun. I liked shooting it, and even my recoil-shy eldest daughter liked it. Although it went down the road in pursuit of other things, it had excellent penetration with a 115g LFN from Hunter's Supply--it drilled through 6 milk jugs of water. While it's no bazooka, this cartridge doubtless successfully protected many a household and LEO who carried it, as most BGs dont want to be shot. If I were carrying a factory load for SD, I'd choose a full wadcutter over the LRNs.

I currently own several classic .32 autos plus a modern TomCat, but am in the process of selling them as I return to revolvers.

The Doc
February 16, 2011, 10:05 AM
Webley & Scott , Mark IV, B-Series revolver in .32 S&W Long. Though I am not a fan of this caliber, it is one of the most common calibers allowed to the civilians in India.

best,

EMC45
February 16, 2011, 03:39 PM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/Evansguns/104_2424.jpg The grips didn't stay. Just doing some accuracy testing with several types of grips. The load is a .32 ACP bullet over a pinch of Bullseye. Shot really well, just low.

mgmorden
February 16, 2011, 04:39 PM
Don't currently have anything in .32 S&W Long, but the H&R 732's with the 4" barrel do kinda call to me a bit. Great looking little guns that don't cost too much. There's a lot of other stuff on the wish list right now so I'm not in a big hurry to get one, but eventually it would be nice.

Heavily influencing my decision is the fact that I've got about 70 lbs of lead sitting out in the shed waiting to cast into something. At ~70gr per bullet, fairly mild velocities so an ideal candidate for lead bullets, and using only about 2grs of powder per round, it seems like it would be about the cheapest shooting gun I could muster up :).

NMGonzo
February 16, 2011, 04:43 PM
My first revolver was some copy of a smith in .32 long.

That is all I could get back then since the legalities of the time in the old country.

Glad I moved, but for my next trick I will get me a nagant to shoot that round out of it.

BHP FAN
February 16, 2011, 07:40 PM
I have two Nagant revolvers, and use the .32 Longs, and Starline .32 H&R Mag brass loaded to .32 Long specs.

rogertc1
February 16, 2011, 08:00 PM
This is a gun. My gun too.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/rogertc1/firearms/M5001.jpg

BBroadside
February 16, 2011, 09:46 PM
Loyalist Dave, it is nice to hear someone respecting and accommodating an old gentleman's condition like that. Bravo.

Rogertc1, I think I see a .32 caliber revolver hiding in one of the chambers of your S&W 500. Better fish it out with some tweezers; I heard they're a bear to clean when they get stuck in your barrel.

jhvaughan2
February 16, 2011, 11:28 PM
As I got older I realized it was not all about recoil. 32 longs are about perfect for paper punching. As/more accurate than anything else, and you can reload for years with one pound of powder.

lizziedog1
February 17, 2011, 07:03 AM
This caliber is quite capable of taking care of bunnies. Last summer i was out exploring with my grnadson and a friend of his. We went down this long, lonely dirt road. Typical of Nevada. We went several miles when we spotted several tanks parked a few yards off the road in the desert.

Not watetanks, but military tanks. They obviously looked like they were in no shape to run. There were no signs or any fence anywhere near them. So we decided to check them out. My grandson entered one of the tanks. He said all the writing inside was Russian. Boy, those guys got themselves lost.:D

Then I spotted a jackrabbit standing next to one of the tank's threads. It was about thirty or forty feet away. I had my little Colt Pocket Positive on my belt. I drew and decided to go for a head shot. I figured I would either miss or make a humane shot. I cocked the hammer and pulled the trigger. I missed, but the rabbit didn't even flinch. I fired again and this time the rabbit flopped over. The kids ran over to and couldn't believe the shot, perfect into an eyeball. They were impressed witht he shot. I was surprised by it. I did not say anything to the kids that the shot was more luck then anything. But it did thump the rabbit pretty good. A .357 magnum couldn't have made it deader.

The .32 S&W Long is a fun little round.

cerberus65
February 17, 2011, 12:21 PM
I have a S&W Model 31 which I bought for my wife but have become quite attached to myself. It has yet to see any factory ammo. In fact I have several .32 Long experiments queued up waiting for me to get some sitting in front of the press time. Fun little gun!

BlackSky
February 17, 2011, 03:40 PM
It's the caliber I have the most fun shooting. My wife loves it to. I only have one gun that fires that round though (pic below), may end up getting more eventually.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9565/mod16piconeej5.jpg

mec
February 18, 2011, 03:39 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=136601&stc=1&d=1298061343

I suspect that the cartridge stayed popular as long as it did because grips of this nature are somewhat painful when applied to 38 specials. I've had several Smith 32s and a couple of colts. This is a near new 70 odd year old colt police positive which I believe I will keep. I've used factory RN, handloaded swc and wadcutters with the latter two very useful for killing rabbits and such. All of them will drive into the vitals of a human and discounting the obiter dicta of various gun experts have lethal potential.

Toml
February 18, 2011, 04:02 PM
A friend of mine shot a K-32 Masterpiece on the Navy Pistol Team. His was a beautiful example of the .32 caliber revolver.

I imagine the introduction of the .327 Ruger cartridge will increase its popularity.

DickM
February 18, 2011, 04:43 PM
It's the caliber I have the most fun shooting. My wife loves it to. I only have one gun that fires that round though (pic below), may end up getting more eventually.

You owe me for a new keyboard. Your K-32 Masterpiece has got me drooling all over this one.

McCall911
February 18, 2011, 06:28 PM
I'm a fan. They were such fun shooters in my beat up old Smith. The outside of the gun looked a little rough, but the bore looked almost like new so it shot well. Very accurate!
Supposedly they penetrated pretty well but I never got around to do any backyard ballistic testing.

Cop Bob
February 18, 2011, 06:56 PM
I'm sorry to say that .32 is one bullet that I do not shoot or own, but I would LOVE to... Many years ago when H&R came out with the .32 Mag I came across a K-22 Cylinder... I still have it, IF I ever come across a decent K frame, I may put a Douglas or Shilen barrel on it and ream it out to 32 H&R or 327 Mag...
Bet it would be an Armadillo Bustin Dude with the right load.... Bet I can get 1500-1600 fps out of a 6 inch and that would be NOTHING to sneeze at...

BlackSky: That pic K-32 has me fired UP... wish I could find one, I have the K-22 and a K-38 in the exact same configuration and vintage... That would complete the set...

dogngun
February 19, 2011, 12:28 AM
round butt nickel plated revolver...six shots of .32 long it was made around 1919.
Have not even shot it yet, but I find myself looking at the Charter Arms Undercoverette in .32 magnum...looks like a nice little pocket carry revolver...Centerfire systems has them for $300.

.32 revolvers were used as police guns for many decades, as were .32 autos in Europe...My .32 auto is very accurate and I keep hearing the same about the revolvers...
Also read that the .32 was John Browning's favorite cartridge.

mark

BlackSky
February 19, 2011, 12:30 AM
BlackSky: That pic K-32 has me fired UP... wish I could find one, I have the K-22 and a K-38 in the exact same configuration and vintage... That would complete the set... You'll find one man. It just takes time. The triple gun set is a cool thing to strive for. These three sisters are the jewels of my collection IMO. I only wish they made a K44 Masterpiece, man that would have been cool.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2319/dsc03685jz0.jpg

dogngun
February 19, 2011, 12:39 AM
and not in the Masterpiece series...I had a chance to buy one maybe 15 years ago, and passed on it...an old Hand Ejector .44.

mark

lizziedog1
February 20, 2011, 10:11 PM
:BlackSky,

Do you plan on breeding them? If so, I want an offspring.:D

GEM
February 21, 2011, 10:47 PM
I have a 632 SS J with the 3 " comp barrel. It is wonderfully accurate with 32 Long (the Fiocchi FMJ), various 32 HR mags and Federal 327s. The latter is rather loud.

It's a great gun and the J with six shots is very comfortable for my hand size.

Also, have a 432, I got for a great price when SW discontinued them. I would recommend them as SD guns for the recoil shy.

Bought a case of the Fiocchi as the gun show as they are a bear to find.

S&Wfan
February 22, 2011, 12:17 AM
I've owned several .32 revolvers through the years and always loved them. They are probably the most fun, most perfect shooting centerfire handguns around . . . though not particularly great for killing things compared to more powerful guns that shoot heavier, faster ammo.

But for the FUN factor, I put the .32 S&W Long right up there with my other favorite CF revolver rounds. Regretting selling my Model 30 a couple of years ago, I recently found a 1916-made Model 1903 Hand Ejector, in its original nickel plated finish, that is a real sweetheart. No, I won't be selling this one!

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/415/415871/folders/305997/2455460IMG2458ec5tc.jpg

I've just shot it one time, but it really liked ONE of the two loads I had on hand. It has a really sweet action too with an incredible single action trigger. Crisp and light!

The little 1" black square targets were shot standing/unsupported @ ten yards. I only shot ten rounds each of the two types of ammo I had with me. I'm SURE this gun has a lot more potential for tighter groups too! I was surprised it liked my LRN load more than the wadcutter though!

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/415/415871/folders/305997/2455543IMG2471-m1cph.jpg

Love the stocks too on the little "I" frame!!!

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/415/415871/folders/305997/2455581IMG2464square-small.jpg

XxWINxX94
February 22, 2011, 05:54 PM
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2077/dsc09072x.jpg
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6446/dsc09073f.jpg
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/9126/dsc09084i.jpg

You could say I'm a fan. :evil:

Publius1688
February 23, 2011, 12:32 AM
I've got a little hand ejector Smith in this great caliber. I'm working on the 'perfect' Unique load, pushing a 100 grain LRN.
It's very accurate, and a hoot to shoot. The fellow who sold it to me said it was an old Milwaukee PD carry piece.

Deen Macheen
February 26, 2011, 05:03 PM
I have an H&R 632 guardsman on which I just did a "mainspring & guide assembly" repair. H&R used some really crummy plastic on the original nose of these assemblies, causing them to break apart after a while, which in turn caused the gun to misfire.

http://picturearchive.auctionarms.com/866124646/5873970/e4fae36039b0f8e8f4521d9ee73544a1.jpg

I used a new "Steel-nosed" assembly from Numrich, and now it works great. They are dependable little guns when taken care of, shoot extremely accurately, and have almost no recoil- meaning you can put the shot exactly where you want it. Magtech makes a semi-jacketed hollowpoint 98 grain cartridge in 32SWL. From 25' you could easily hit something the size of a 9" balloon, if you get my drift.

bangaway
March 28, 2011, 01:28 AM
I had a Ruger ssm in .32 mag. with 9.5 inch barrel. It was stolen just after my first shooting session. .32 S&W, and .32 longs were accurate and fun to shoot. Neither round required ear plugs. The 85 grain factory xtp bullets needed plugs but they sure put big holes out a 2 by 4 board. Now a 32 mag Marlin is my play toy. It loves 5 out of 6 of my molds and am going to try round balls. Alot of those in 5 pound bags of shot.

Walkalong
March 28, 2011, 09:04 AM
I have a S&W 3" M-31 .32 Long. Really neat little gun. I also have a Model of 1905 .32-20 which is a hoot to shoot. My latest .32 Long is not a revolver, it's this Benelli .32 WC (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=138622&d=1300490627). Being a full sized all steel gun recoil is nonexistent. It just goes "poot". You feel the slide cycle, but that is about it. Very accurate.

EMC45
March 28, 2011, 11:02 AM
Just shot some loads over the Chronograph on Saturday. 98gr. RCBS 32-098 cast bullet cast from Clip on WWs, over 2.3gr. Bullseye, in a Lapua case. Lit with a CCI SP primer. Gun was my Model 30 (no dash) Smith 3in. nickle. This is a very accurate load. They averaged for 5 shots 677 FPS. Not a barn burner, but fun. Also went straight through a 2X6 pressure treated piece of lumber.

Ratshooter
March 28, 2011, 01:29 PM
I think the 32s are the funnest to shoot of all my handgun calibers.

I have a 3" 30-1, a 4" 31-1, a 431PD and two Ruger single sixes with 5.5" barrels. A Manurhin PP 32 and last a Marlin 94 lever action in 32 mag. I do like the 32s and am always one the hunt for another. A S&W 631 is my lifes quest. I cannot for the life of me figure out why S&W won't do a run of these ever once in a while.

I would really like an airweight like my 431PD with a 4" barrel and adjustable sights. It wouldn't make me any difference if it was in 32 long or 32 mag either.

LC '92
March 28, 2011, 06:52 PM
Heres my little Single Six in .32 H&R magnum. I shoot .32 ACP, .32 S&W Long, and .32 magnum out of it. Great little plinker and versatile with these three loadings. I have the factory Ruger/Bianchi full flap holster for it too. Nice package.

I've always been a S&W man, but this SSM is a handy little gun to have around. Just slow to load and unload.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/daddy_jeffs/small_ruger.jpg

Jim NE
March 29, 2011, 01:28 PM
I recently got on older H&R .32 S&W Long in pretty good condition, and I admit that I like it. At 10 yards it's about as accurate as other guns, despite H&R's low budget reputation. I should mention that the dealer I got it from was honest enough to tell me he didn't think it was accurate when he shot it, but he said it was probably because he was shooting the less powerful .32 S&W's thru it (not longs) and they were handloads to boot.

So I guess I'd stay way from .32 S&W standards and only shoot the longs. Problem is, the longs aren't sold around here, only the standards, and they're overpriced at $30 a box. I found longs on line for as cheap as $17 for a box of 50 (can't remember where - Able maybe?) Anyway, in my gun, only the longs work good it seems.

bandur60
March 29, 2011, 09:06 PM
My son picked up a Regulation Police (early 1920's?) really cheap a couple of years ago, cheap 'cause it wouldn't fire reliably in double action. It was such a deal that he re-gifted it to me for the same reason. The mainspring screw (if that's what it's called) in front of the grip frame was about to fall out. So ... voila!!

My wife's favorite shooter is a Bearcat --- I expect this will be another one she'll like, besides being an ideal step up for other new shooters, after a .22.

I've reloaded a few rounds of the 32 Long, enough to find out that, although the shellholder for a 223 will accept a 380 ACP, and the diameters are close to the same, the rim thickness is enough more that only a few of the 32's will fit in it. I can't find any in my area --- is there an extra one floating out there somewhere? RCBS #23 or Lee #4 is what I'm lacking.

Then I can load for the 32 Mag derringer too, (with longs), that will be the softest load for it. More than two shots from it and it's time to shoot something else. Anyway, I'm looking forward to some 32 Long fun in the near future.

JesusismyPapa
April 7, 2011, 09:56 PM
Hi all! I am new to THR and I have had this beautiful little handgun for several years now and am getting more and more interested in the "whole handgun thing," so I am trying to find out how old this is and maybe who it's past owners were and maybe some value? The gun is very clean and hardly used. On the underside steel of the grip and on the facing cylinder it displays only numbers as follows: 351545. On the right side of the 3-1/4" barrel it displays: .32 Long CTG. On the left side it has the words Smith & Wesson. On the top it shows the patent info as follows: Pat. Feb. 8. 08. Sept 14. 09. Dec. 29. 14. The wooden grips are in excellent condition with the number 364168 penciled on the inside and “Pat. 1917” stamped on the bottom where the wood joins itself. They do not have any medallions on them, but it does have the original screw in it with the threaded companion on the other side. I could not see any markings on the steel under the grips. The butt is rounded with the S&W crest on the left side only. There are 4 screws on the right side plate opposite the S&W crest. The top is smooth (verses Serrated) with a notched rear sight looking down to a half moon fixed front sight. On the stationary part where the cylinder swings down the numbers 78651 appear. The only sign of wear is at the tip of the barrel where there is a little holster wear and a little pitting where the finger rested when not on the trigger pull. Thank you, for your time in this matter. I know there are a lot of very knowledgeable people who are kind enough to help, so I hope I can, at least, find out how old it is. Thank you again. God bless America!

LC '92
April 8, 2011, 04:13 PM
JesusismyPapa, you have a Regulation Police. I have the same gun but a 4" and in caliber .38 S&W. Great little shooters. Value is around $300.00. They were made up until the early 1940's. These revolvers are based on the discontinued I frame.

I cannot pin down your manufacture date but I can say my 5 digit was made about 1924, so your 6 digit would probably be much later.

Radagast
April 8, 2011, 10:09 PM
JesusismyPapa:
.32 Regulation Police manufactured between 1920 (serial no.321000) & 1929 (serial number 508000).
Has a heat treated cylinder, so safe to shoot with any factory load, but I would not try and hot load it to .32 magnum speeds.
Lacks the positive hammer block safety introduced in 1944, so leave the chamber under the hammer empty. If dropped it could fire.
Grips are factory original, the patent date refers to a patent held by S&W for a round butt to square butt transition grip.

Radagast
April 8, 2011, 10:11 PM
LC'92:
The .38 S&W & .32 S&W I frame guns had different serial number ranges.

NoirFan
April 8, 2011, 11:50 PM
Don't have one, but I like it. The guy in the lane next to me at the range had a DA S&W in .32 caliber, and he let me shoot it. That gun was seriously accurate and easy to shoot.

oldfortyfiveauto
April 8, 2011, 11:56 PM
I started with a new Blackhawk in 327....loved it. Then got the SP101 in 327 and loved it. Now have a Bisley Single Six in 32H&R and love it. The more I mess with 32's the more I like them. Pleasant and accurate. I've been running cast bullets with Trail Boss loads. One side benefit of the 32's is they are easy to load. The long skinny cases and bullets handle easily, much nicer than say 9mm.

EMC45
April 9, 2011, 10:41 AM
Nice Reg. Police!

bangaway
April 9, 2011, 02:33 PM
oldfortyfiveauto I read your the owner of a blackhawk in .327. Does it shoot very well? I have been thinking of buying one. What .327 shells have you fired out of it? Do you hand load for it? Have you shot any .32 s&w, .32 long, or .32 mag from it and how did they shoot besides bang? Ruger makes a well made and strong gun there by the looks of it. You did well. My first .32 long was a used 6 inch foreign one. It shot well for 150 rounds until the barrel fell out on the ground. The frame that held the barrel had expanded and ovaled at the hole. I had fired only factory .32 s&w and .32 longs from it. It was fun while it lasted. Have fun and bangaway!

bangaway
April 9, 2011, 02:48 PM
oldfortyfiveauto I read your the owner of a blackhawk in .327. Does it shoot very well? I have been thinking of buying one. What .327 shells have you fired out of it? Do you hand load for it? Have you shot any .32 s&w, .32 long, or .32 mag from it and how did they shoot besides bang? Ruger makes a well made and strong gun there by the looks of it. You did well. My first .32 long was a used 6 inch foreign one. It shot well for 150 rounds until the barrel fell out on the ground. The frame that held the barrel had expanded and ovaled at the hole. I had fired only factory .32 s&w and .32 longs from it. It was fun while it lasted. Have fun and bangaway!

oldfortyfiveauto
April 10, 2011, 10:35 AM
As best I can tell you pretty much can't do any thing wrong with the 32's...they pretty much shoot well no matter what. All three guns shoot better than I can hold them even off bags. I've gotten half dollar size groups at 25 yards with cast bullets and trail boss.

I've been loading trail boss with cast for normal use. Also have loaded some hornady xtp's. I try to use the longest case for the gun so I have not shot the shorter longs or short cases. The 32GH&R works well in the 327. I still want to try some 60gr jacketed. Should be screamers.

sixgunner455
April 10, 2011, 11:24 PM
Very tempted to get a Single Six in .32 Mag. Have a Single Six .22 convertible, and love it. Being able to load a hotter round, instead of paying for .22 Mag, would be cool.

bangaway
April 17, 2011, 08:39 PM
I shoot some lite loads with .32 round balls in .32 s& w longs. These are not very powerful but takes cottontails. I have found two molds for 45 grain air gun boolits. They are called air gin because of their weight not for big BB guns. Has anyone loaded this boolit in any .32 gun? It should extend the range of any .32 round ball type application and be cheaper to shoot then a 98 grain.

mjackson
April 17, 2011, 09:26 PM
I am glad I found this thread. I found a Manurhin revolver chambered in .32 long that I can't wait to get my hands on.

Ratshooter
April 17, 2011, 11:47 PM
Bangaway look at Midway USA. They carry a 76gr bullet cast by Hunters Supply IIRC and it makes a great light load bullet for a 32. I use around 2grs of Titegroup in a 32 mag case for nice, pleasant load and out of my Marlin 94 it shoots a little over 900fps and is as quiet as a CB22 round.

LBT use to have a mold that cast a 32 bullet that looked like a thread spool with a point on one end. It had a small bearing surface to reduce drag and limit the danger of sticking a bullet in the bore. It was made for very light loads using just a tiny amount of powder. Ross Seyfreid use to write about using these bullets for training new shooters

evan price
April 18, 2011, 01:45 AM
I load a single Hornady #0 Buckshot pellet (diameter is .320") in 32 Long brass over 3.5 grains of Titegroup. Press the ball down until it looks like a slightly rounded full wadcutter and apply a light roll crimp. They shoot real nice and clean. Not much recoil, but seem to go pretty fast. I need to chrony some someday.

bangaway
April 18, 2011, 02:46 AM
Thanks ratshooter for the tips. I will look at Midway's 76 gr head. Then I will try LBT. I have not used titegroup powder. My old unique powder dirties the outside of cases somewhat with some of my 71 grain fmj loads. I hear there is a new cleaner burning unique to try too.

bangaway
April 18, 2011, 02:49 AM
evan price, I will be trying titegroup powder soon. Clean burning sounds good too. Thanks.

Dave Markowitz
April 18, 2011, 10:01 AM
Just got this beauty last week, a Ruger Single Six in .32 H&R Magnum. I plan to shoot mostly .32 S&W Long out of it though. I picked up 500 rounds of Prvi Partizan .32 Long to get started.

http://flintlock.org/zenphoto/cache/ruger-revolvers/single_six_r_595.jpg

Radagast
April 18, 2011, 11:42 PM
Dave that is a delicious looking gun. Congratulations on your purchase.

bangaway
April 19, 2011, 02:19 AM
Dave is that a 5 1/2 inch barrel? It sure looks like a great gun. I have not shot any Prvi Partizan ammo. It is new to my area. I think I saw some of it at Cabellas. Do not remember if there was any .32 long stuff. Let us know how well it shoots and what boolits they have. Have fun and bangaway.

gunnysmith
April 19, 2011, 10:39 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i221/gunnysmith/32SWlong.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i221/gunnysmith/RugerKSP327FEDmAG2.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i221/gunnysmith/32caliber.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i221/gunnysmith/220_4.jpg

test drive
April 19, 2011, 10:42 PM
Back in 2003 i was deploying to Iraq and wanted to leave my wife with something other than my 45s all she had was a .22 ruger mk. 2 and i wanted her to have somthing with more umph. went out and found her a nice smith mod. 10 snub, round-butt,pinned bbl. blue was worn but gun was good and tight. over the next couple years i could not get her to go to the range with me much, the mod 10 just didnt fit her good, as she said. then one day she went with my son to a gun show while i was at drill. when i got home she shows me her new revolver...... a older modle snub CHARTER ARMS in .32 s+w long!!! guy at the show was nice enough to trade her EVEN up and throw in a box of ammo:fire: i wanted to cry but in the end she is happy and loves to go to the range now. used it to get her cwp. she's a happy camper so oh-well. the little charter is clean and tight, looks allmost new but a round butt mod 10 :banghead:

Pendy
April 20, 2011, 01:49 PM
I will agree that the .32 S&W Long is a very fun cartridge. I, too, recently acquired a Colt Pocket Positive. After the first box of ammo, I was in love. This is my favorite cartridge to shoot to make sure I have my form and concentration correct before switching to a bigger caliber. The gun is so small and light that there is less room for error to make it punch a big hole in the target.

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa384/awp1984/2011-04-07_10-48-40_531.jpg

pabner
April 20, 2011, 05:09 PM
My wife and I are .32 S&W Long enthusiasts. Can anyone tell me where I can get .32 shot shells (.32 S&W, .32 S&W Long or .32 H&R Magnum)? None of the major ammo manufacturers produce them.

gunnysmith
April 20, 2011, 06:04 PM
You can use the gas checks for .32- 8m/m to make shot shells for all three .32's
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=41180/Product/Hornady_Gas_Checks

pabner
April 20, 2011, 07:39 PM
You can use the gas checks for .32- 8m/m to make shot shells for all three .32's
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=41180/Product/Hornady_Gas_Checks
I wish I did load my own but not yet. How expensive is a starter kit for reloading, if there is such a thing?

gunnysmith
April 20, 2011, 07:54 PM
I suggest Lee, everything would be less than $100.00

pabner
April 20, 2011, 08:50 PM
I suggest Lee, everything would be less than $100.00
I will look at Lee's. I always thought reloading was expensive to start. Thanks.

Ratshooter
April 21, 2011, 07:58 PM
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...ady_Gas_Checks

No you can't. The 8mms are .323 and the 32s are .321. They are too big to fit in the case.

Use the .308 GCs and they work fine. I have loaded a couple hundred with the .308 GCs and #12 shot. They are snake killin' suckers.

bangaway
April 22, 2011, 03:39 AM
Say there ratshooter do you mean 32's are .312 (as .32 long)? As I remember .321 dia. is for .32 special rifle. Where can I get #12 shot? I have seen only one 25 pound bag of it in my life. Does this size shot come in 5# bags?

bangaway
April 22, 2011, 03:50 AM
I read an article in the 2010 Gun Digest about .32 mag. For shotshells in .32 mag. use 2.0 grains of Titewad + one shoebox overpowder wad + 65 grains of small shot + another shoebox overshot wad then crimp. Has anybody done this? I have used .30 cal. gas checks myself. This shoebox wads should be cheaper. Good article just the same.

I'm3rd
April 22, 2011, 09:55 AM
My wife inherited a 1960's vintage .32 long caliber, 3" barrel, round butt, S&W model 30 from her mom. It is still in virtually like new condition after 40+ years since her uncle bought it for her mom for her home protection gun. Cylinder lockup is tight as new, SA and DA trigger pull weight is just right, bore is perfect, and there are no wear spots or scratches on the old S&W style high polish blue finish. I don't think her mom ever fired it, although I'm sure her uncle did just to make sure it was working properly. But I do know that she always kept it lying in her lap while driving home alone from her job late at night. My wife uses it for her house gun to replace the .22 revolver she used to use. She has serious arthritis in both hands after failed carpal tunnel operations and can't tolerate much recoil, so the little .32 long 's "kick" is about the most that she can handle. For her practice ammo I load a 100 gr lead semi-wadcutter over 2.2 grains of AA#2, which chronographs at roughly 625 fps (give or take a bit if I'm careful with the powder measure), and for serious use I keep it loaded with Fiochi 98 grain FMJ ammo. Fiochi lists their .32 long round @ 835 fps, which is over 100 fps faster than the American companies load it. It's still a puny round, but probably a little more effective than CCI Stingers from the 2" barrel H&R .22 she used to use for her "house gun", and either one is 1000% better than a broom stick.

(no, she doesn't ride a broomstick, I just used that as an illustration)

gunnysmith
April 22, 2011, 10:37 AM
You are correct Ratshooter, Ive only loaded 38 Special with shot.
Although the principle is the same for both cartridges.

Ratshooter
April 22, 2011, 06:10 PM
Hello bangaway. I don't know how well cardboard would work for wads but gas checks work really well. A box of gas checks will make 500 snake loads. If your snake problem is that bad I would move. Thats just me though.:what:

Here is how I load 32 mag shotshells. First I bought a 10/32 all thread rod from the tool store. I cut it so I have a rammer to fit in an RCBS die plus I cut a slot on one end for a screwdriver just like the seating stems on RCBS dies. Cut it about the same length, nothing criticle here. I use a 357 die for seating the gas checks so it clears the 32 case.

I used 2.2grs of bullseye and use the rammer to push the gas check over the powder. I seated the GC to .695 from the case mouth using a dial caliper depth gage to measure the seating depth. Next add your shot, I used about 68grs of #12 bought from BPI in 10lb bags. Works out to around 280 pellets if I did the math right.

You need to be sure you bell the cases well or you will never get the .308 GCs in the case. Cap the shot load with another GC flush with the case mouth and then run the case into the seating die to roll the case mouth over the gas check.

Now my first run I didn't bell the cases enough and no matter how hard I tried I could not get the top GC to fit with the cup facing the shot. Thats how I know the 32/8mm GCs will never work. Anyway I ended up putting the flat side towards the shot. It worked just fine. About 60 snakes will tell you it kills like a daisy.

I guess you could do this with the 32 S&W Long but reduce to about 2grs of bullseye and lower the shot charge. I believe red dot and tite group in the same weights would also work.

BPI is Ballistic Products Inc. They sell lots of shotgun stuff and are real good folks.

bangaway
April 23, 2011, 03:54 AM
Howdy to you Ratshooter and thanks a bunch for that heads up on the .32 shotshells. I will load some as soon as BPI sends me some shot. I used to deal a lot with BPI and I agree they are good people. Do you think size 10 shot would be more effective? Have fun and bangaway.

Ratshooter
April 23, 2011, 10:12 AM
I don't know how bigger shot would be better. The #12 kills just fine and dead is dead. Plus the pattern should be a little better.

TonyT
April 23, 2011, 10:30 AM
When I shot bulseye pistol I used both a Walther GSP and later a Pardini HP in 32 S&W Long for the centerfire stage. My scores were much better than with the 45 ACP.
Two years ago I purchased a S&W Model 16-4 in 32 H&R but mostly use 32 S&W Long reloads. It is fun to shoot - virtually no recoil, accurate and with enough knockdown power for the steel plates.

PO2Hammer
April 23, 2011, 10:41 AM
I've been daydreaming of the .32 s&w long as a candidate for a modern day 'rook rifle' cartridge in a Contender carbine.
A low noise cartridge with high accuracy and limited range for small game and plinking.

Ratshooter
April 24, 2011, 12:29 PM
PO2 I agree 100 percent. I would love a rook & rabbit rifle and one in 32 long would do just fine. I have a Marlin in 32 mag and like to shoot light loads like a 76gr lead bullet with about 2grs of Titegroup. It gets just over 900fps and is as quiet as a CB22 round. Lots more punch though.

The closest I have to a R&R rifle is an H&R single shot in 357 with an 18" barrel. One of the Talo guns that was sold by R&R Arms. It has open sights on it. Just the way I like em'.

PO2Hammer
April 24, 2011, 12:59 PM
The closest I have to a R&R rifle is an H&R single shot in 357 with an 18" barrel. One of the Talo guns that was sold by R&R Arms. It has open sights on it. Just the way I like em'.
I have an older Handi in .357 with open sights and ejector and a 22" barrel, with light loads it has to be pretty close to the old .360 #5 Rook cartridge, even if the bullet diameters are different.
I keep adding too much powder. I'm still around 1,000 fps with a 140 LFP. I need to drop it down some.
I figure the .32 S&W long would limit speeds to about 850-900 fps in a 22" carbine, and noise would also be far less than the .357 downloaded.

bangaway
April 27, 2011, 12:39 PM
I too would like a .32 long R&R rifle. I shoot a H&R .357 with 4.0 grains of red dot and a 94 grain lyman 358212 head. This gets 890 fps for 161 ft pds. This dents a pop can before it chugs through. A .32 long would probably shoot better and I do not have one. It would probably be easier to get a .32 mag. barrel for a T/C then shoot longs in it. Does anyone know if Bullberry makes .32 long , mag, or 327 barrels? T/C makes a barrel in .308 bore .32-20. I would like a R&R rifle with .312 bore as a companion for the .32 handgun. What do you alll think? Have fun and bangaway.

PO2Hammer
April 28, 2011, 12:00 AM
bangaway, Match Grade Machine makes .312" Contender carbine barrels and I believe they chamber .327, .32 H&R mag or .32 S&W long. And with MGM, you don't have to wait six months to a year for your barrel to arrive.

bangaway
April 28, 2011, 12:12 PM
PO2Hammer thanks for the info. I have never heard of Match Grade Machine nor seen any mention of them in print. Their name seems to indicate an accurate barrel. Have you or anyone either fired or know about their products? I will see their web site soon.

PO2Hammer
April 28, 2011, 05:45 PM
Yes, I've had two barrels made by them, both .357 mag barrels from Shilen .358" 1:14 twist blanks. Very high quality and quick service. I got one barrel in four weeks, another in five. They're well known over on the specialty pistol forum.

Owen Sparks
April 29, 2011, 02:02 AM
Does Smith and Wesson still make a .32?

bangaway
April 29, 2011, 03:23 AM
PO2Hammer I visited MGM's web page and did not see any .312 stuff. They did have a 32-40 barrel. I will look harder soon and visit their forum. There is a custom section that could work. Have fun and bangaway.

GEM
April 29, 2011, 01:46 PM
SW makes the 632 in 327 mag but it will, of course, chamber the SW Long round.

PO2Hammer
April 29, 2011, 06:14 PM
PO2Hammer I visited MGM's web page and did not see any .312 stuff. They did have a 32-40 barrel. I will look harder soon and visit their forum. There is a custom section that could work. Have fun and bangaway.
You must have been looking at their current inventory.
Most barrels they sell are built to order, look at their available chamberings. (http://www.matchgrademachine.com/chamberings_public.php)

bangaway
May 2, 2011, 01:28 PM
PO2Hammer
Appreciate the available chamberings push and boy they have lots of choices. I must get more data on twists barrel lengths weights etc. A new toy my way cometh soon. Have fun and bangaway

bangaway
May 2, 2011, 01:47 PM
Does anyone here fire .32 longs from a .327 match grade machine (single shot, no forcing cone jump) type barrel? Any problems with accuracy do length of jump to the rifling etc. I do not have a .327 yet and I know cottontails need 32 only longs if you want anything to eat. Any help out there?

gunnysmith
May 2, 2011, 02:31 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i221/gunnysmith/220_4.jpg
Benelli 32 S&W long.

25 meters before sight adjustment.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i221/gunnysmith/BenelliM76Target.jpg

Walkalong
May 2, 2011, 08:39 PM
They sure can shoot, and are lots of fun, aren't they gunnysmith. I bought another set of dies just to load .32 WC. I can leave them set and not bother them.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=138622&d=1300490627

W.E.G.
May 2, 2011, 08:52 PM
Since I see the .32 EXTRA-LONG's are coming out in this thread, here's my Single-Six with some tasteful bling appeal.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/DSCN6606leftside-smaller.jpg

In the Triple K crossdraw holster.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/holsters/triplekholster1.jpg

bangaway
May 11, 2011, 12:47 PM
Has anyone loaded loaded/fired a 45 grain head in a 32 S&W long or 32 S&W? Accurate molds makes a bulet called .31 airgun in 45 grain. It looks like a collar/acorn button bullet. What loads have any tried? Thanks for any help. Have fun and bangaway.

NoZombies
June 20, 2011, 04:08 AM
Since the .32 long is something of a passion for me, I thought I might pop in and say hi in this thread.

I currently shoot about a half a dozen .32's of various flavors, from 3" I-frames, to a custom made bolt gun. Two things they all seem to have in common; They're accurate, and more fun for the money than just about anything else around, assuming you cast and reload.

I have almost a dozen molds for the .32's and burn through a couple of pounds of powder per year with the little guys. (At 2-3 grains per shot, that's saying something!)

In a long gun, I've found the .32 long to be just the thing for small game. It's role in a handgun can be similar, but I can make head-shots on squirrels at 65 yard with a scoped rifle, with a pistol, the quarry needs to be a fair bit closer.

I like the .32 long as a trail gun very much, and I've got a 4" taurus stainless revolver in .32 H&R (that has never fired a magnum shell since I've owned it) that finds itself accompanying me regularly when I take to the field. I don't encounter anything very dangerous, aside from snakes, around these parts, and I carry the little gun more for the targets of opportunity that present themselves than anything else. I can say that no soda can is safe inside of 25 yards, well at least not by the second or third shot, anyways.

I have a 6" barreled K-32 clone that loves wadcutter ammo more than a fat kid loves twinkies, but the rest of the guns I shoot seem to prefer a SWC or round-flat-nose profile.

A fun load is a .313-.315 round ball over a case about 90% full of trailboss. They shoot low from the sights of the pistols, but not too bad from the long guns. Once you learn to hold over, they're fun and economical for plinking, Kids love 'em!

I've been experimenting with the lyman 311033 lately, It's a 110 grain hollow point bullet designed for the .32-20, the solid point version is the 3118 or 311008, at approximately 120 grains. I use a small load of red-dot to push the bullet to about 750 FPS from a 4" barrel. I have no delusions that it would expand very well at that speed, even from a very soft alloy, but I also don't think it needs to expand for small game or soup cans.

As far as wadcutters go, I've experimented with the ideal 313492 for some time. It's a type 3 wadcutter, meaning that it's intended to be seated the same length as a SWC bullet, rather than deeply into the case. The only issue encountered with the load so far, is that some guns have throats too small for the full diameter .3135 nose section of the bullet as it drops from the mold(s). .313 is what I generally size to, (most of my guns like this size pretty well, so I've standardized) and it takes a little finagling to get the "nose" section to size down further, without disturbing the .313 diameter of the main body, but that's another story.. The guns they fit in though, seem to like them okay. I also have the bullets "SWC" brother mold, that is, the 313445.

The 313445 is essentially the same bullet as the 313492, but instead of a button nose, it has a little truncated cone. Some people call this a semi wadcutter, but it certainly isn't very close to what ole' Elmer Kieth designed. I think of it more as a modified wadcutter. I understand that it shoots better at distance than does the 313492, but I haven't experimented enough to say for myself with any conviction.

Lee makes a mold that is almost just like the 313445, except that it's a tumble lube design. I think they call it a "314 90 gr SWC" or something along those lines. I've shot it at 50 yards and 100, and find that it more than doubles it's deviation at the further distance, giving 3/4" from the rifle at 50yds and 2.5" at 100yds.

Lee used to make an 85 grain double ended TL wadcutter mold. I have one of the 2 cavity versions, but it's pretty well worn, and I've had my eyes out for a 6 cavity version for some time. Inside 25 yards this is THE bullet for accuracy from my K-32 clone. I haven't shot this bullet for groups past 25 yards, so I don't know how it would fare. I personally wouldn't have high hopes though, wadcutters don't like to keep stable, and double ended wadcutters especially seem susceptible to destabilization at range.

I haven't used the RCBS or Saeco WC molds, as they haven't presented themselves available at a bargain price while I was looking. I feel pretty well covered in the WC department, so I likely wont go seeking either of those. But who know what might fall in my lap at the next gun show?

The bullet that I shoot the most is the lyman 313631 SWC. This is a gas-check bullet, but it shoots just about as well for me at low pressures without the gas check. Every gun I've shot this bullet in seems to like it. I load everything I shoot in .32 long brass, and to .32 long pressures, so I don't generally use a gas-check, but when I do, I find that my accuracy improves slightly past 25 yards. From the rifles (I have 2 but only shoot one regularly, the other is still "in process") That means going from a 5/8" group at 50 yards, to about 1/2". With the handguns, I simply can't shoot that well, so I can't tell the difference on target between loads with the GC, and loads without. I like this mold so much I have 2 of them. I'm thinking of converting one to plain base, but haven't made the plunge yet.

I haven't found any round nose mold to shoot better than any other. The one thing I will say is that with the light loads that I like, the 95-100 grain versions seem to shoot closer to the sights on the fixed sight guns than do the lighter versions intended for the .32 ACP. With adjustable sights, this is a moot point, but worth noting, as so many of the older S&W I-frame guns have fixed sights.

I have other .32 molds as well, but they generally fall beyond the scope of this thread, as they're either custom made molds that aren't generally available either new or used, or they were made so long ago that they never show up, or I haven't wrung them out enough to even give an opinion.

I plan to continue to shoot the .32's I have, and no doubt I'll acquire more as the opportunity arises. I'm certain more .32 molds are in my future as well, along with further experimentation with what I already have.

And as always, what I've written above are my experiences, and my opinions, and they're worth about what they cost you. Any load data given has proven safe in my guns, but should be worked up to in anything else.

Walkalong
June 20, 2011, 09:17 AM
I would like to have a Taurus 76 (?) in .32 Long. I passed on one back when I was ignorant of the joys of .32 Long. I cannot remember if it was still called the 76 when it was chambered in .32 long, but the Taurus 76 I have is in .32 Mag. Still a very nice shooter. Lots of low recoil fun.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=144221&stc=1&d=1308575280

Keeps my smaller 741 .32 Mag company.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=144222&stc=1&d=1308575772

EMC45
June 20, 2011, 11:23 AM
Did one of those come from WallaceM Walkalong?...

EMC45
June 20, 2011, 11:24 AM
Did you get one of those from WallaceM walkalong?

EMC45
June 20, 2011, 11:26 AM
Double post....Sorry

EMC45
June 20, 2011, 11:35 AM
I really like the 32-098 from RCBS. Got it on castboolits for $35 shipped NIB! Had to jump on that. It drops at .315 and I size to .314 with a push through I made on a lathe. I also have the Lee TL .314 SWC-90. They drop at like .316! I size to .314 after I goop them up with the Lee Alox. Another mold I have found to work well with my Model 30 3in is a mold I got for free from castboolits. It is a 98gr. RN. it drops at around .314-.315. It gets sized to .314 as well. They all shoot to point of aim with the fixed sights. Just got an SP101 in .32 mag and I am just starting to experiment with it.........

RugerMcMarlin
June 20, 2011, 11:50 AM
One of these guys, made a crack about it being a girls round. My daughter,when she was 14, shot it very well. With her shooting ability, and her mothers grim determination, she is a force to be reckoned with. (her mom is without the gun)

NoZombies
June 20, 2011, 12:34 PM
Walkaalong: I have the Taurus 741 as well, but in Stainless Steel, this is my near constant companion when going out in the woods. The model 76 is a neat gun. I don't have one in either caliber, but I've been on the lookout for one of those as well.

EMC45: Is it the RCBS 98 gr WC or the 98 Gr SWC? I've been wanting to try the SWC version for a little while, and I think I may have to buy it new if I don't come across one before too long.

RugerMcMarlin: My wife loves the little I-frame with the 3" barrel and small target grips, otherwise it would have made way for a larger frame gun. I will admit though, it shoots like a house-afire with it's favorite loads... I have the chance to get another one very inexpensively, it's ugly as sin on the outside, but the bore is excellent and the mechanics are tight... Hmmmm

RugerMcMarlin
June 20, 2011, 12:43 PM
Go ahead. If you get the gun it will always appreciate in value. Your money will slowly get eaten away by taxes and inflation till there is nothing left. It really the only logical choice you have left. It's a win/win chance to protect your money AND your family. Faced with that choice what else can you do?
If you need more just holler, I can always justify a gun purchase.

EMC45
June 20, 2011, 01:27 PM
No Zombies.....It is a SWC. Looks like a little mini Keith bullet, and according to some research, I have read it was a Keith designed bullet he used for loading a good bit of the older .32 cal guns. Nice sharp shoulder and accurate in my I frame Model 30!

Walkalong
June 20, 2011, 01:44 PM
This Hornady SWC (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=459219) shoots well for me. I have not tried their full WC of the same type.

RugerMcMarlin
June 20, 2011, 02:07 PM
I think it's in Sixguns, Keith sets forth the opinion that 22lr, is all but worthless as a small game round,and much prefers 32s , 32S&W Long and 32-20.

EMC45
June 20, 2011, 04:04 PM
Next project is taking a 1909 Argie Mauser barrel (slugs at .312) and mount on a tip up shotgun action in some shape form or fashion. And ream chamber to .32 S&W-L or mag...Not sure yet. This ought to be a neat little plinker.....Either red dot it or fab up some sights.....

I'm3rd
June 20, 2011, 06:58 PM
My wife inherited her mother's 3" model 30 w/ the old S&W high polish blue finish and round butt banana grip frame that was made in the mid-60s and is in practically 100% like new condition. She has severe arthritis in her hands and wrists as a result of botched carpal tunnel surgery, so the little gun produces about the most recoil that she can handle. She keeps it loaded with Fiocchi 100 grain FMJ ammo I bought because it claims the highest velocity and energy of any factory round I could find. I also reload for it with Dardas 100 grain LSWC bullets over 2.8 grains AA #2, and those loads are very accurate and fun to plink with. Most US factory loads claim around 700 fps with a 98 grain LRN bullet, but chrono closer to 575-625 fps due to countless thousands of ancient El Cheapo Saturday night specials still lying in dresser drawers, nightstands, and pawn shops all over the US.

The model 30 is plenty strong enough to safely handle much higher pressure than the round was designed to produce. But even so, I don't think a higher pressure handload would SAFELY develop enough velocity (1000+fps??) in that 3" barrel to expand a 100 gr LHP bullet . But hopefully the Fiocchi round would at least penetrate deep enough to have a deterrent effect on an attacker, and she can still tolerate that much recoil.

Ratshooter
June 20, 2011, 07:35 PM
NoZombies I sure wish you would post a pic or 2 of your 32long bolt rifle. I tried to get an H&R rechambered and bored out using a 22 Hornet barrel but so far no one will do the job. A 32 long would make about a perfect rook & rabbit rifle.

I have a Marlin 1894 32mag that I shoot light loads through and its a hoot. Some of my quiet loads are as quiet as a CB22 and still get 930fps with a 76gr lead bullet. I think 32s are just about perfect for field and plinking use. They are looked down on now for a SD gun but I do keep a 431PD 32mag in my night stand with a wadcutter load that gets right around 900fps from that short barrel.

My 32 long loads get 850fps from my 4" model 31 and just about the same from a 3" model 30 with 96gr Lee SWC tumble lube bullets. Lee used to make a 32cal WC mold in the tumble lube design and I sure wish they would bring it back.

Pyro
June 20, 2011, 08:19 PM
Just fixed my .32 [S&W Long].
Needed a new latch spring to keep the frame closed, had to make one out of an old hammer spring. Pain in the ass but worth it, I am excited that I have a workable firearm again. So many hours put into restoring this old relic and turning it into something useful.

Probably a gun you'd see in some post-apocalyptic movie: bubba'd bobbed hammer (broken sear makes this a DAO gun), horrible finish of 100 year old nickel, modern blueing, and rust, tape wrapped around the grips, limp firing pin filed down just enough. I should post a picture when I have a chance.

NoZombies
June 21, 2011, 12:08 AM
Ratshooter:

Here's an older photo of the gun, I've since changed scopes and made a few modifications, but it's a real shooter. It's based on a Remington 540 type action, and uses an Argentine mauser barrel.

http://nozombies.com/cast/581.jpg

http://nozombies.com/cast/targ1.jpg

vellocet
June 21, 2011, 07:59 PM
I have an old h+r top-break auto-eject hammerless .32 and it is a small gun with a none-the-less 4 inch barrel. Tiny enough to hide and I would hate to get nailed by a .32 from this pistol. They are fun to shoot from nagants and used to be cheap.

Ratshooter
June 21, 2011, 09:11 PM
NoZombies color me green with envy. I like the rifle. Too bad you are so far away. I bet you and I would have a blast with our 32 stuff.

My holy grail gun to get is a S&W 631 32 mag. I will find one someday for a doable price. I see them from time to time but can't justify the $900 or so that some folks want. Besides, I hate the idea of the search being over.:rolleyes:

NoZombies
June 22, 2011, 02:26 AM
Ratshooter; You're right, I'm sure we'd have a ball shooting our various .32's together!

The rifle is a joy to shoot at small game and targets, but being a single shot, and having a very tight chamber, it can be a bit finicky at times. Not that I'm complaining. I've shot several groups under 1/4" at 25 yards, and a number under 1/2" at 50 with the gun, it wont do that every time, with every load, but it does consistently enough to tell me it's not just a fluke. I intend to re-throat the barrel to allow the use of longer bullets, as currently it has a very short throat, and doesn't allow me to use all of my revolver loads in it. With a longer throat, I plan to see how well a 140 grain bullet would do at about 700 FPS.

The Smith 631 is a very nice gun, and I've wanted one for quite a while too. One of these days maybe I'll find one, in the mean time, the SS Taurus 74 fills the role nicely, and without me worrying about it getting scratched :)

My Holy grail gun is one that has never been made. I really really want a K-32 (model 16) in stainless steel. S&W never saw clear to make one, so one of these days I will do it myself. Sorry, make that, one of these decades... Ah well... One can have dreams... right?

NoZombies
June 22, 2011, 05:18 PM
Well, I walked into one of my favorite gun shops today, and about fell over myself getting them to sell me the little Ruger Super Single Six in .32 H&R. 4 and 5/8" barrel with adjustable sights.

I'm sure I need it. Or at least, I'm sure that's how I'll justify the purchase to my wife anyways. I guess it's time to sell another non-32 to pay for it :)

bangaway
July 11, 2011, 12:49 PM
You were very lucky to find a ruger adjustable site single six in .32 mag let alone a 4 and 5/8 barrel. Congrats !!! Have you fired it yet? Hit anything? Do you hunt anything in Fl. that this gun can/will bee used for? Maybe if you let your wife hold/fire the gun you will get to keep it. Watch it so she lets you hold it. Have fun and bangaway.

EMC45
July 11, 2011, 01:00 PM
My bunch...(SP101 is Mag)http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/Evansguns/100_3673.jpg

Ratshooter
July 11, 2011, 03:29 PM
Well I was looking on GB and guess what what I found. A nice 32 smith & wesson snubby.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=239751345

While I was looking I thought it might be fun to bid. So I did. And won. Oh Boy, Oh Boy Oh Boy!!! A new gun coming. I haven't bought a new gun in like 3 weeks! Man I like 32s!

NoZombies
July 12, 2011, 12:53 AM
I haven't shot the little ruger yet, it's sitting at the gun shop waiting for me to go pick it up right now, maybe next week if I have time.

They tell me that some squirrels are out in the swamps west of here, but I just moved here not long ago, so I haven't found a hunting spot yet. I'll start looking in August.

EMC and Ratshooter, those are some nice guns! I don't have a snubby in .32 yet... I suppose I'll need to get one soon, won't I?

A few of my .32's: (the taurus in the middle is a mag)
http://nozombies.com/32revs.jpg

NoZombies
October 10, 2011, 11:41 AM
I thought I would revive this old thread again, as there are more folks out there who are fans of the .32, and I'm sure, even more that would be if they ever got to shoot a good accurate .32 revolver.

Below is a photo of most of the .32 bullets that I cast, they represent a good cross-section of what's available as molds go, but there are far more molds out there that can be found if you're patient (or rich) enough. There are several designs still in production that aren't in my collection of molds, and several of my molds are custom pieces or long obsolete designs.

I have loaded all of these (except the hollow base for the .32 LC) in the .32 S&W long case with mixed, but mostly good, results.

http://nozombies.com/32s.jpg

From left to right:

Specialty:
1. R. Hoch 80 grain nose pour hollow base designed for the .32 long colt .2 .313" round ball

Wadcutters:
3. RCBS 84 grain WC 4. Custom 88 grain DEWC 5. Lee 85 grain TL DEWC 6. Lyman 313492

Semi-Wadcutters:
7. Lyman 313445 8. Lee 90 grain TL SWC 9. Lyman 313631 GC SWC 10. Custom made 110 grain SWC

Flat Points:
11. RCBS 98 grain "SWC" 12. Lyman 311008 115 grain RNFP 13. Ideal 31133 105 grain HP

Round /Pointed Noses:
14. Lyman 311252 15. Lee 100 grain .311 RN 16. NEI 308-108 (weighs 118 grains from my mold and alloy) This is almost identical to the lyman 311359 bullet 17. Lyman 311410

GEM
October 10, 2011, 12:16 PM
Saw one of those little SW's at the gun show last weekend. Mid $450 - cute but it's my economy. Sigh.

Ratshooter
October 10, 2011, 03:42 PM
NoZombies I shot the 32 snubby I posted earlier that I won of GB about a week ago. What a neat little gun to shoot. I even shot out to about 55 yards and was surprised how well I scared the rocks on the side of the stock pond. I am a reinvigorated 32 fan.

Those are nice bullets you have cast up. I wish Lee would make the 32 WC mold again. That hollow point is a nice bullet also. I guess you cast those one at a time.

I did pick up a S&W model 631 about a month ago. That was my #1 gun to get. Now I have to find a new quest.

igousigloo
October 10, 2011, 09:08 PM
I have a Taurus 327 MAG. 2" And I love it. I was shooting bowling pins tonight with 32 acp loads.

bangaway
October 10, 2011, 10:50 PM
What 140 gr. boolit are you going to try? Is this the 311410 mould? Have fun and bangaway

Onward Allusion
October 10, 2011, 10:55 PM
igousigloo
I have a Taurus 327 MAG. 2" And I love it. I was shooting bowling pins tonight with 32 acp loads.

How does shooting 32ACP out of a 327 Fed Mag work for you? I've been thinking about doing the same 'cause the 327 could more than handle a 32 ACP load and it's a little cheaper than 32 S&W Longs. Any problems making that long of a jump from cylinder to barrel?

bangaway
October 10, 2011, 11:01 PM
Have you tried a 45 gr. wc mould? Accurate molds makes a bulet called .31 airgun in 45 grain. It might be useful to load two at a time in .32 longs. Remington loaded two roundballs in .38 spec. and 357 mag ammo as SD. Would make a real whimpy load or a fast load with one head.

bangaway
October 10, 2011, 11:07 PM
Saw a H&R model 586 in .32 mag at pawn shop. It sported a six inch heavy bbl and adj. sites. Anyone shoot this? How well does it shoot? Have fun and bangaway.

NoZombies
October 11, 2011, 08:55 AM
Ratshooter;

It's good to hear that your snubby has done so well, it's surprising how well even little guns can shoot the little cartridge, isn't it? And Congrats on the acquisition of the 631, I've been looking for one of those myself for a long time, but it always seems that my finances, and my opportunities never quite match up. I hope it shoots for you as well as you've imagined it would in all the time you've been looking for it!

The Lee DEWC bullet has proven accurate in my guns, but I've never been too fond of the TL system for whatever reason. the custom DEWC next to it comes from a 4 cavity mold instead of a 2, and so it's been seeing more use lately. The HP is indeed a one at a time affair, thankfully though, the mold casts and drops beautifully, so I've got a supply of about 1000 of them sitting waiting for lube and loading.

Bangaway;

The Lyman 311410 I have weighs about 130 grains from WW, and has done surprisingly well from some of my guns (and managed to keyhole completely from others) I've thought about getting another mold in the same weight range with a different nose and body profile, but haven't yet.

The .313 round balls weigh about 40 grains a piece, and I've double loaded them in the long case. I don't know how well they would do for SD, but they are great fun for plinking. The only complaint I have about them is that the mold is a single cavity. I assume the little WC from accurate molds would do something similar. Check out their .31-105 grain Keith style SWC as well. Tom drew that one up for me, although my finances have precluded me buying one.

I haven't shot the H&R 586, but as a rule, if I can afford a .32 that has adjustable sights, I'll usually try to get it. The H&R's are what the .32 magnum was designed for, and should only be kept to the SAAMI spec pressures for that round, but for shooting loads within the book for .32 magnum, I would bet it would be a neat gun.

Stainz
October 11, 2011, 09:08 AM
I added the new 2" 632-2 in .327 Magnum, middle below, to my collection last month. I borrowed the '60 Pro' wood grips from my 5" 63:

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_4681-1.jpg

Sadly, it shoots 2.5" low with my leftover 94gr LRNFP .32 S&WL - at 7 yd! Lower with Fed 85gr SP & Hydra Shok .327M's alike! Still, the S&WL homebrews were easily adapted for - at 12yd - and hit the SPC targets 100%. I bought a box of 115gr Speer Gold Dots in .327M to try - we'll see if they hit closer.

My local pusher has an NEF 73 in .32 H&RM - I hought it might be 'fun' - once I get past it's nasty trigger. 3" fixed sight - chunky, but good shape - $200. Not much available locally in .32 S&WL - especially with adjustable sights.

Stainz

Addendum: My target has been paper plates with a 1.75" circle centered. Changed to a 'combat' sighting from the 6 o'clock usual sighting. I placed the front Tritium 'Night Sight' over the circle, centered between the rear NS's. The 85 gr SP Fed .327 Magnums were still low ~ 1.5" - the new 115gr Speer .327 Magnum Gold Dots were in the lower half of the circle - at 7 yd handheld. My 96gr LRNFP hit a bit lower, but close enough to easily ping the SPC targets at 12yd.

GCBurner
October 11, 2011, 11:05 AM
Saw a H&R model 586 in .32 mag at pawn shop. It sported a six inch heavy bbl and adj. sites. Anyone shoot this? How well does it shoot? Have fun and bangaway.
I wouldn't mind finding a 586 in .32 H&R Magnum, if it's priced right. I have a H&R "Sidekick", made before they renamed it the "Guardian", in regular .32 S&W Long, and even with the 2 1/2" snubby barrel, it shoots pretty accurately.

Ratshooter
October 11, 2011, 11:25 AM
NoZombies I understand about the finances for buying the 631. I found the on GB and Auction Arms from time to time but they were priced in the $900 range. I could pay it but couldn't justify the price.

I joined the S&W forum just to see if I could find one there at a better price. I did. Someone was selling one for $650 including shipping. I sent him a PM right then. It was $20 transfer on my end. So for 670 I have I gun I have wanted for many years.

As for the tumble lube bullets they are a little strange but work just Lee said they would. All but three of my HG molds are tumble lube. I used to shoot falling plate matches back in the early 90s and I sure won a lot of trophies with the TL 148gr WC bullet. I only use Rooster Jacket for a lube now. That stuff is great.

NoZombies
October 11, 2011, 01:03 PM
Ratshooter, That's a great deal on that 631! I had someone offer one to me last month for $200 more than that, and honestly, if I could have swung it, I would have. For now the little Taurus will have to fill that gap.

I have to admit that tumble lubing works, I think for me the real thing is the handling characteristics of it that bug me. Since starting to mix the Liquid Alox with mineral spirits and JPW the handling has gotten a lot better, so now I don't mind as much. I haven't tried the Rooster Jacket, based on your recommendation though, I'll have to give it a shot. If you'd like to borrow that .32 TL mold for a while, let me know. I need to put a care package together for you sometime soon anyways, and I could put that in there.

Ratshooter
October 11, 2011, 02:20 PM
NoZombies thats a really nice offer. I may even take you up on it since its getting cool enough to do a casting run. I do have about 800 Hornaday wc bullets on hand. And give the Rooster Jacket a try.

This seems like it might be the same lube that Hornaday lubes their knurled lead bullets with. It dries in half the time of the Lee Alox. It isn't tacky and doesn't leave a cloud of smoke when shot. I like it so much I cleaned all my Alox coated lead bullets off and relubed them with rooster jacket. After they are lubed I sprinkle some of the Midway motor mica on them and roll them around on the tub a little. If you try this stuff I bet you dont use alox ever again.

I even over lubed the factory coating on my speer 158gr hollow point lead bullets because I like a hot load for these since they are what I carry in my snubby. No leading at all so far.

By the way, what is JPW?

A Pause for the Coz
October 11, 2011, 03:25 PM
Ok I guess I will chime in on this. Since I am a closet .32 lover and all.
I have a H&R model 732 that I have had for a few years. For the longest time I just shot .32 shorts in it. because it said 32 S&W on the barrel. Finally got around to Googling it found out its chambered for S&W longs. So started reloading for it in that caliber. Shoots good too.
Has been the wifes bedside gun.
I finally felt guilty about her using it for self defense and upgraded her armory this year.

This summer I got her a Taurus revolver in .327 fed mag.
That way I could still use all the .32 stuff I have and add the bad guy stop power of the 327.
Was a good choice. I would not feel under gunned at all taking it out of the night stand if needed. Made her up a nice 327 load 2400 behind 85 gr XTP, Good stuff.
I shoot allot of H&R mags through it. 115 gr ahead of Unique.
Most accurate 2in snubbie I have ever shot.http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/Taurusloads.jpg

Ratshooter
October 11, 2011, 03:54 PM
Glad you chimed in Pause. I seldom load absolute full power 32 mags so haven't seen the need for a 327. I do keep a S&W 431PD in my nightstand drawer. Its loaded with Hornaday WC loads getting right at 900fps from that short barrel. Love the gun. It only weighs about 16oz loaded. I don't feel the least bit undergonned either. Especially since there is a model 15 and a mini-14 real close by.

If you could post a pic of your 732 I'd sure like to see it.

NZ I called Lee Precision to see if they had a 32 WC mold laying around. They didn't and have no plans to make any more of the molds. You can get one as a custom order. I believe they get around a hundred bucks for a custom mold. I can buy lots of precast for that much moolah.

A Pause for the Coz
October 11, 2011, 11:16 PM
I will post a pic of the 732 tomorrow.

I would say about 80% of the shooting I have done with the 327 is using the H&R cases.
Mostly shoot cast at steel.
But I found I could not get the right load I wanted for the XTP out of that case.
Honestly though I am sure I could make em hotter to shoot out of the 327. But why when I can just load a good upper mid range load in the 327 case and get the same thing.

That XTP load I cronoed at right about 1400 fps. I can live ( literally)with that.

BTW I really really want a lever gun chambered in .327 Mag. I mean I really want one. Oh and a Ruger Black hawk in .327 Ahhhhhh it never ends!!!!!

NoZombies
October 11, 2011, 11:57 PM
Yeah, the list of .32's that I would like is quite a bit longer than the list of them that I can afford :)

Ratshooter, I had to buy mine from England, and it's pretty well worn, but it does the trick. It is too bad Lee wont make the mold again, I'd love to have a 6 cavity.

A Pause for the Coz
October 12, 2011, 10:56 AM
Here are the images of the H&R model 732 I promised. Nothing special but getting it for $120 priceless.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_7689.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_7688.jpg

Come to think of it. I hope every one continues to not want .32's. That leaves more for me at good prices

32 Magnum
October 12, 2011, 12:24 PM
I've shot several of the H&R "500" series (.32 H&R MAGNUM original series) revolvers - all have show excellent function and the two models (504 and 586) with adjustable sights have show v.good to excellent accuracy. The 532 with fixed sights shot a bit low with the 85 gr. JHP ammo but was right on with the 95 SWC ammo. Nice guns - nice fit and finish - and the cowboy version (586) always gets some extra looks and questions at the range.

jamesjo
October 12, 2011, 04:53 PM
32 magnum,
I sure do like that model 586 in the bottom pic!!
I like the 504 too, is the small grip much of an issue?
Jim

32 Magnum
October 13, 2011, 11:57 AM
Jim,
I know that you like the 586, you've told me that a couple dozen times. LOL
The 504 with the "magnagrip" (just noticed that I misspelled it in the caption, damn) is easily controllable. The gun is fairly heavy and the .32 Magnum rounds do not have an excessive recoil impulse. I haven't shot that gun in a couple years but I do remember it as being pretty darn accurate and easy to shoot.

NoZombies
October 15, 2011, 10:28 AM
That 504 is an interesting piece, for sure. I've often thought it would be nice to have one, but the prices people seem to want for them makes it prohibitive.

Pyro
October 15, 2011, 11:03 AM
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2231/wdscf0075.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/wdscf0075.jpg/)

hardknocks!
October 15, 2011, 11:56 AM
top gun in 32 S&W. bought unfired but not new. 2oo bucks.
very accurate for a shorty.
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/2879/002pgb.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/002pgb.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

madcratebuilder
October 16, 2011, 08:00 AM
I'm glad to see all the .32 guys step out of the closet. I like this caliber for the near zero recoil, great starter gun for new female shooters. I'm kind of addicted to the old S&W's anyway.

1905 I frame
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/SW/5thchange05.jpg

top break
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/swhammerless01.jpg

32 Magnum
October 16, 2011, 12:32 PM
Here's three Charter Arms 1st Gen. .32s. Seem well built, good fit and finish and solid lock-up. Haven't shot them as yet, but very tempted. 1st Pic is a fairly scarce Undercover (not marked Undercoverette) in .32 S&W Long. Last pic is of two in .32 H&R Magnum.

mossy141701
October 16, 2011, 03:00 PM
I have a Smith& Wesson Mod 30 and an old H&R breakdown revolver in that caliber. Plus an older model S&W hand ejector.

Geezer Glide
October 16, 2011, 07:20 PM
I have an old I frame hand ejector in .32 Long.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h174/horry_dresser/5s4.jpg

32 Magnum
October 16, 2011, 07:22 PM
Here's a couple early 1930s era S&W Lemon Squeezers in .32 S&W Long - both are unfired (after factory test):

NoZombies
October 17, 2011, 01:05 PM
Well, this one isn't a long, but it was the first .32 I ever shot, and the only gun my Dad owned during my lifetime. The watch was his too, the knife and cigar are my additions.

http://nozombies.com/cast/32/4.jpg

This little hand ejector started the bug for me:

http://nozombies.com/cast/32/5.jpg

JustsayMo
October 17, 2011, 07:27 PM

I'm new to the 32 caliber handgun but have been very impressed by 32 (32-20) caliber rifles. Thought it would be cool to get a revolver in 32-20 but everything I found was overly big and mighty expensive. I came across a 32 H&R Mag at the fun store and it got me thinking... Ended up finding a 32 Mag Ruger Single Six and now I'm a big fan. Near perfect match in my estimation.

I haven't shot any 32 S&W Long's but the H&R Mags seem to have all the virtues - low recoil, inexpensive to reload - and accurate as well as covering a broad spectrum of uses. It'll pretty much do everything my Single Six in 22 will do except for the cheap lightweight ammo. In 32 the Single Six is a half pound lighter with all capabilities of the 22 on up to and rivaling the 38 Special (120 grain bullet zipping down range at 1200+ fps).

Compared to my 38 Specials it seems to be much flatter shooting - no hold over out to 60 yards and seems to out penetrate my 38's in wood and sand.

Skeeter Skelton pushed the envelope with his 32 H&R Magnum, unfortunately he died shortly after its introduction. I suspect that had he lived another five years the 32 H&R Magnum might have achieved the popularity it deserves.

GCBurner
October 17, 2011, 07:44 PM
If you have some available, you can shoot .32 S&W Longs and Shorts in the .32 H&R Magnum, too.

oldfortyfiveauto
October 18, 2011, 07:19 AM
I started out with the Ruger Blackhawk in 327 and now have 4 pistols in 32. I've come to really like the caliber. A Marlin in 32H&R is on my list now.

NoZombies
October 18, 2011, 04:01 PM
Here's a 5.5" single six .32 mag with a Bisley hammer. I need to finish profiling the back side of the hammer.

http://nozombies.com/rug-1.jpg

CarlJ
October 18, 2011, 07:37 PM
For your viewing pleasure! A R73 Stainless and a R 73 Ultra with adjustable sights. Both H&R.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=151310&stc=1&d=1319233601

CarlJ
October 18, 2011, 07:40 PM
How do I make the pic bigger?:banghead:

M16
October 18, 2011, 09:39 PM
Here is my S&W.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/Elmino1/IMG_0482.jpg

NoZombies
October 18, 2011, 10:24 PM
I am so jealous of that model 16. I think I might have literally drooled a little bit while looking at the photo.

bangaway
October 20, 2011, 01:06 PM
Those model 16 revolvers sure look like my model 48. I have never even held a 16. I have seen on this site and others that this gun shoots well and is desireable but expensive. How well does your 16's shoot? Is it on par with a ruger single six or the dan wesson? Is the 16 made in .32 long or did they make a mag. too? Thanks early for any help. Does anyone load their 16over the factory loads? Have fun and bangaway.

M16
October 20, 2011, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE]How well does your 16's shoot?/QUOTE]

I don't know. I've never got around to shooting it yet. The model 16-4 was made in .32 Mag. I've got one of those as well. It shoots extremely well.

Scott Harper
October 20, 2011, 10:35 PM
Hello I am trying to date my .32 Colt Police Positive Revolver, It was my first gun I bought ,when I turned 18. The serial number is 79134 and has a "D" stamped by the serial number as well.

Thanks!!!

MomentsNotice
November 11, 2011, 05:01 PM
My S&W 30-1, dated to 1961 by the friendly folks here at THR.

http://i.imgur.com/SAgEK.jpg

It was a given to me by my grandpa though he has no recollection of how he acquired it.

Beautiful gun. It's my goal to actually put a round through it some day. :o

Ash_J_Williams
November 12, 2011, 12:58 AM
This is a gun. My gun too.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/rogertc1/firearms/M5001.jpg

What... is it..?

Ash_J_Williams
November 12, 2011, 01:04 AM
You'll find one man. It just takes time. The triple gun set is a cool thing to strive for. These three sisters are the jewels of my collection IMO. I only wish they made a K44 Masterpiece, man that would have been cool.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2319/dsc03685jz0.jpg

I'm not familiar enough to know those 3 models and calibers. .22, .32 S&W Long, and .38Sp?

evan price
November 12, 2011, 02:38 PM
Ash:

S&W K22, K32, and K38.

bangaway
November 25, 2011, 11:46 PM
I have seen on several threads that shooting Aquila .32 long ammo caused severe barrel leading. Speeds, when listed, were under 700 fps. Why does this happen and has anyone had this problem? Cleaning put a marliin rifle does not sound like fun. Early thanks for help. Have fun and bangaway.

NoZombies
November 26, 2011, 12:21 AM
It's probably a function of bullet size (too small a diameter allows gas blowby and gas cutting) alloy used, and insufficient lube. I haven't tried the aguilla ammo myself, so I can't say which one (or what combination) is the culprit, but it is certainly one or more of those issues.

I tend to find my handloads to be more accurate than any factory offerings, that seems to be especially true when I compare my handloads to inexpensive handgun ammunition. I wish you luck!

Dain Bramage
November 26, 2011, 01:20 PM
has anyone had this problem?

I'll second the Aguila leading problem. I tried them as cheap fodder in my S&W Model 431. Not only did it lead the barrel, but it left nasty rings in the cylinders that took me multiple cleanings with a bronze brush to get out.

bangaway
December 8, 2011, 01:01 PM
Earlier you posted about trying a 140 gr. bullet in a .32 revolver. How did it go? What 140 gr. bullet is it? What did you try it in? Have fun and bangaway.

bangaway
December 8, 2011, 01:10 PM
You obviously liked the .327 bh as you got more .32's however how accurate is it? What do you like aboyt the bh or don't like. Sure looks well made and heavy even with 8 holes in it. Do you shot 32 longs or mags in it? How do these do? Thanks for any info. Have fun and bangaway.

bangaway
December 8, 2011, 01:14 PM
H&R makes a few revolvers with a metal spur on the back of their trigger guards. Any one know why? What is its use? Example is a 586 revolver. Have fun and bangaway.

32 Magnum
December 8, 2011, 08:45 PM
That's called the 2nd Finger Rest - it gets your middle finger out from behind the trigger guard and is supposed to keep recoil from wacking that finger and help promote accuracy. H&R first used it in 1932 on their SPORTSMAN revolver series.

Pyro
December 8, 2011, 08:50 PM
Has anyone tried Fiocchi's .32 S&W-L FMJ bullets?

Mike1957
December 8, 2011, 09:16 PM
I like to take this old Colt New Police out for a spin now and then.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/Shep1957/guns/100_0805-1.jpg

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/Shep1957/guns/100_0806-1.jpg

This Single Six and SP101 are chambered in .32 H&R, but mostly I use .32 S&W Long in them.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/Shep1957/guns/100_1253-1.jpg

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/Shep1957/guns/100_1254-1.jpg

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/Shep1957/guns/100_0894-1.jpg

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/Shep1957/guns/100_0895-1.jpg

This little Colt New Pocket is also fun to shoot. But it`s chambered in .32 Long (& Short) Colt instead of .32 S&W Long.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/Shep1957/guns/100_0815-1.jpg

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/Shep1957/guns/100_0816-1.jpg

oldfortyfiveauto
December 9, 2011, 07:13 AM
The Blackhawk will do quarter size groups at 25yds with cast bullets. What I've found with the 32's is pretty much every thing shoots well.

bangaway
December 10, 2011, 11:51 AM
Thank you for the info. Colts do whack my second finger. Looks like the second finger rest might work.

bangaway
December 10, 2011, 11:56 AM
What stats do you know about this fmj ammo? I have not seen any but could be useful in the penetration department.

heyjoe
December 10, 2011, 11:58 AM
PYRO "Has anyone tried Fiocchi's .32 S&W-L FMJ bullets?"

i have an order in for these rounds but its a long term backorder and they keep pushing ahead the expected availability date. i want to use them for the smith and wesson airlite 32 H&R Magnum for practice because you cant use anything abrasive on the scandium cylinders to clean them which means avoidance of lead bullets.

Bradshaw
December 10, 2011, 05:06 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/FalMike/32s.jpg

Bradshaw
December 10, 2011, 05:07 PM
,...and my favorite "kit gun",...a Regulation Police in .32 Long from the mid 20's.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/FalMike/MVC-030S.jpg

Stainz
December 10, 2011, 05:52 PM
My 632 Pro got it's own set of 60 Pro grips. Works great with the HKS #32-J speedloaders leftover from my .32 H&RM SP101 days. My 94-96gr LRNFP .32 S&WL loads, also leftovers, hit ~ 2" low from 7-12 yd, now that I know the 'proper' sight picture - but group tight. It's 'on the money' with the 115gr Gold Dots in .327 Federal Magnum. A bit pricey, but a brand new model. Heck, it was almost as much as the only 16 I've ever seen used!

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/007.jpg

I did find an NEF R73 ~$200 locally... have to think about that as parts would be a real pain. I want a 'real' .32 S&WL revolver, but the day of the beater old Police Positive Specials has passed. They are all 'collectable' now... with prices to match. Maybe a 16 will fall from the sky...

At least I have a pocket .32 now...

Stainz

bangaway
December 10, 2011, 10:31 PM
I have heard that Tarus is making a look alike .32 cal kit gun. Would this then be similar to a smith model 16? Any one shoot a .32 tarus and is it a bad gun like don't work, shoots poorly, breaks etc? I have seen posts saying tarus makes crummy guns. Never had a tarus and cant afford 16 smith. What say any body?

JT-AR-MG42
December 11, 2011, 01:46 AM
Colt also made an adjustable sighted .32 that I enjoy.
Top is the .38 with a .22 below.

JT

Walkalong
December 11, 2011, 09:58 AM
What say any body?If you can find one, and the price is reasonable, buy it. It's not a Smith, but it's nice (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=144221&d=1308575280), and shoots well.

bangaway
January 3, 2012, 12:20 AM
Mastercast bullets offer .32 cal. heads in 20 bhn. I think these would be too hard to either expand at 32 long or mag vels or grip the barrel lands. MCB also offers 14 bhn heads. Any one use these bullets or some of this hardness in long, mag, or .327 shells? Thank you for any help. Have fun and bangaway.

NoZombies
January 4, 2012, 12:28 AM
Bangaway, Sorry for the late reply to your questions.

I have both versions of the Taurus .32 kit gun. The Taurus kit guns are models 74 and 741. The Taurus guns that more closely matching the model 16 in size are the models 76 and 761.

The Taurus model 74 has adjustable sights, 3" barrel chambered in 32 long and made of blued steel. The model 741 is stainless steel version with full underlug barrel, adjustable sights, chambered in 32 magnum, and available with 3 or 4" barrels. As far as I know, both models are out of production. The model 74 was produced in the 70's and the model 741 was introduced in the 90's. My model 741 is a constant companion when I go to the woods, it is handy, deadly accurate, and being stainless steel, easy to care for.

The model 731 is a more recent version, with 2 or 3" barrels, but fixed sights. The 731 was chambered in either .32 H&R magnum, or 327 Federal. It may still be in production.

The Taurus models 76 and 761 were both blued steel, built on the larger frame (K-frame sized) with 6" barrels (all the ones I've seen anyways) one was chambered in 32 long, the other in 32 H&R magnum. They are out of production, and have been for some time. They were produced concurrently, so I don't recall which model number corresponds to which caliber.

As for Cast bullets. I prefer my .32 bullets to be pretty darn soft. I tend to keep velocities at or below 1400 FPS, and I find that a properly sized bullet of a soft alloy is the most accurate through any of my revolvers. The alloy I use for .32's (and most handgun bullets for that matter) measures BHN 8.5-BHN 10. Not to say that a harder alloy couldn't work, but it certainly isn't needed. Fit is KING when it comes to lead bullets. undersized throats or a constricted forcing cone can wreak havoc on revolver accuracy. You want your throats to be .001"-.002" larger than your groove diameter, and size the lead bullets to match the throat. I the forcing cone is restricted, the only real solution is lapping.

Walkalong
January 4, 2012, 06:56 PM
The Taurus kit guns are models 74 and 741. The Taurus guns that more closely matching the model 16 in size are the models 76 and 761.Yep, the 76 (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=144221&stc=1&d=1308575280) is close to a K frame, while the 741 (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=144222&stc=1&d=1308575772) is close to a J frame.

bangaway
January 5, 2012, 03:22 AM
Thanks alot for all your info. I can make informed choices now. I like .32's. My hands are big and lots of the .32 revolvers I can not get my finger on the trigger. Have fun and bangaway.

evan price
January 5, 2012, 05:31 AM
@ Scott Harper:

Re: Your Colt Police Positive 32:

Colt started 1910 with serial# 74000
and started 1911 with serial# 84500

So that would put your serial# 79134 more or less smack-dab in the middle of production year 1910.

I realize that was a few months ago but I just realized I skipped a few pages in this thread.

NoZombies
January 5, 2012, 07:34 AM
Reading back a little further, Bangaway, you asked about my experiments with bullets up to 140 grains in the revolvers.

The bullets I've used were the Lyman 311410 (about 130 grains) and a custom made mold that weighs 140 grains and has 4(!) crimp grooves. Both bullets did fine at low (800 FPS) velocities from my large frame Rossi, (it has a fast twist, at 1-12") but didn't fare as well at low velocity from any of the other revolvers I own.

They were alright when pushed hard from the Ruger Single Six, but at anything much less than 1100 FPS, were unstable at 25 yards. At 1200 FPS, both bullets were accurate from the single six at 25 yards. I loaded them in the magnum brass, and seated them long, and with a load of powder that would no doubt make the SAAMI boys cringe. They flew down range, and made nice little groups on the paper. I like the 32's for their mild report, among other things, so I'll leave the heavy bullets for heavier calibers generally, but it's good to know that they can be made to work in the Single Six if needed.

Even loaded hot they were both keyholing from the taurus 32 magnum, and I wouldn't try them in any of the older/weaker guns. Besides the obvious safety concerns with the over spec pressures, I wouldn't suspect them to be very good, with the slow twists, etc.

oneounceload
January 5, 2012, 05:06 PM
Just added this R&P 6" target model with adjustable sights, best idea on date is late 20's:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk308/oneounceload/glasscandleand32gun023A.jpg

The "I" frame is great for small hands and the recoil is non-existent -great trainer for kids and women who are new shooters

Walkalong
January 5, 2012, 08:11 PM
I like it.

Ralph G. Briscoe
January 5, 2012, 10:57 PM
Great thread! I'm a new convert to the .32's....bought the wife a 632 several months ago to replace a Chief .38 as her nightstand gun. The recoil of the .38 scared her. She loves her model 34 so I figured I'd try a .32. Problem is, I'm in love with the damned thing now, and .32's in general. She likes the 632 a great deal...especially shooting the plinking loads I made (2g Unique/76 gr cast)--quiet as a .22 and very accurate. I've worked up a defense load using .32 H and R cases, 85 gr Hornady XTP and 5.4 gr Unique. 1135 fps velocity and 243 fpe at the muzzle. My .38 defense load (4.7gr Unique/158 Speer LSWCHP) only generates 233 fpe but it painful to shoot in a J frame. The .32 HR load is a pleasure to shoot...not wimpy but not at all painful.
I want to thank (?) you all for contributing to my new addiction to that diminutive revolver round and the graceful guns that shoot it.
Good luck and good shooting
USE THE ABOVE LOADS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

EMC45
January 6, 2012, 09:36 AM
I actually run a .32 S&W-L RCBS 32-098 cast load right around 700FPS for a nice little pocket carry load. The FPE isn't all that, but I am not killing elephants. THis is out of a Model 30 (3 inch) and 31 (Snub).

ivoynem11
January 6, 2012, 09:27 PM
i would like to hear from people who have hunted with this revolver

bangaway
January 7, 2012, 04:27 AM
Great looking gun. That front site sure looks big. All the better to shoot distance I bet. Have fun and bangaway.

bangaway
January 7, 2012, 04:40 AM
Thank you for filling me in on the 140 gr. head. I was thinking about how it would shoot and hit from a .32 marlin. I do not remember the marlin's twist so do not know if it might keyhole too. I wonder if the heavier heads would take bobcats,yotes, or small feral hogs? Might find these animals when out bunny whacking. Have fun and bangaway.

bangaway
January 7, 2012, 04:59 AM
For self defense you might try 98 gr. hollow base wadcutters with the hollow base forward. This set up is more devistrating than hollow base to the rear. Speer makes some. Wadcutters are loaded flush with the case mouth. Welcome to the thread. It is fun and informative with great pictures thrown in. Have fun and bangaway.

Ralph G. Briscoe
January 11, 2012, 08:19 PM
For self defense you might try 98 gr. hollow base wadcutters with the hollow base forward. This set up is more devistrating than hollow base to the rear. Speer makes some. Wadcutters are loaded flush with the case mouth. Welcome to the thread. It is fun and informative with great pictures thrown in. Have fun and bangaway.
Thanks Bangaway.
I've tried the backwards HBWC load in .38 Special (3gr Bullseye) back in the 70's and most of them went through the target sideways at 5 yards. Have you gotten the .32's to stabilize when loaded backward? I just got some .32 long brass and 95gr SWC's from Midway and am going to see what kind of velocity I can get in a .32 Detective Special. I'll post the results.

bangaway
January 15, 2012, 02:51 AM
No I have not tried .32 long hbwc backwards. In the 70's I loaded .38"s backwards with 2.7 unique. Shot straight in ruger security 6. Sure shot honeydews and bunnies all over the place. Figured the .32 would shoot good too. I should try this .32 backwards thing. Keep you posted on it. Did you try groups with keyholeing .38's? Could be wicked SD round. Look forward to your post about the dect. spec. Have fun and bangaway.

bangaway
February 3, 2012, 02:53 PM
Saw two H&R mod 732's at pawnshop. Both looked new. Barrels were under or about 3 inch. What length barrels are available in a 732? I remember some posts about 732's in this thread. I will be rereading this thread. BTW the guns are both 6-shot .32 S&W long at $180. How about the price? Is the 732 still being made? Any one shoot this gun much? Does it shoot well and will it last for a lot of shots? Any one interested in buying one I can give phone #. Have fun and bangaway.

bangaway
February 3, 2012, 02:55 PM
Was the model 732 ever made in .32 mag?

Stainz
February 3, 2012, 05:16 PM
The LGS still had a VG NEF #73 3" fixed sight .32 H&RM for $200 last week. Seems a bit high - but it's about all I've found for my stash of 500+ loaded 96gr LRNFP (over 1.9 gr Titegroup ~620 fps from my 4" .32 H&RM SP101 9/2006) .32 S&WL cases. I also have ~1,200 clean .32 S&WL empties to reload - and some Meister 100gr LDEWC & other 115gr LRNFN (.32-20 bullets). I did shoot the latter bullets over 2.4 gr Titegroup in .32 H&RM cases to get 730 fps (Stand back!) 7/2006 (Same 4" SP101.). I sold my Rugers, a 4.6" SSM and the 4" SP101, four years ago. The buyer got my .32 H&RM brass, dies, etc - didn't want the .32 S&WL. I didn't get another .32 until 9/2011 - the 632 Pro. The fun .32 S&WLs hit awfully low - 2" @7-12 yd - I need another .32... any opinions/info on the NEF #73 I mentioned would sure be welcomed! The only 16 I've seen, pretty decent, was $775 at a local show. Thanks!

Stainz

32 Magnum
February 4, 2012, 10:41 AM
Saw two H&R mod 732's at pawnshop. Both looked new. Barrels were under or about 3 inch. What length barrels are available in a 732? 2 1/2" or 4". Depending upon year of manuf. earlier ones may have full size square grip, later will be small rounded grip. All 4" versions were made with large, square grip. I remember some posts about 732's in this thread. I will be rereading this thread. BTW the guns are both 6-shot .32 S&W long at $180. How about the price? IMHO, unless the guns are NIB, they are abit too high - $150 -160 is more in line with today's market.Is the 732 still being made?NO, discontinued in 1986 when H&R INC. closed the doors Any one shoot this gun much? Does it shoot well and will it last for a lot of shots? I've had limited (less than 250 rounds through two (1 1/2" and 4") and while not outstanding the accuracy is decent and they are built pretty darn strong for that cartridge - proper care and they should last forever.Any one interested in buying one I can give phone #. Have fun and bangaway.

p.s. The Model 732 was never made commercially chambered for the .32 H&R/FED Magnum cartridge. I've heard they were tested but the 6 shot cylinder didn't stand up well to the pressure of the mag. round. Therefore, H&R adapted two other existing heavier frames with 5 shot cylinders that were quite suitable (these are the three models of the "500 series".

Stainz
February 4, 2012, 11:59 AM
Anyone have experience with the NEF #73 3" fixed sight? I want it for my stash of .32 S&WLs - hopefully, it's front sight can be shortened a bit to put them 'on target' at 15-25 yd. Anyone improve the DA trigger? I don't expect a S&W trigger... but really don't need another '1895 Nagant' trigger, either. Thanks!

Stainz

Postscript: The R73's barrel is 2.5". It's clean - now. It is also physical proof positive that a fool and his money can often be easily separated.

trane fan
February 4, 2012, 06:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/tranefan/100_0434.jpg

The S&W 31 belonged to my Father who died in 1975 when I was 12. The S&W I-frame belonged to my maternal Grandmother who died in 1996 at the age of 98. I literally would not take anything for them.

Kosh75287
February 5, 2012, 01:38 AM
I have a friend who has a Ruger Single Action in .32 H&R, but shoots LOTS more .32 Long out of it. He loves it. I'm going to start handloading for it in a while, I suspect.

bangaway
February 5, 2012, 12:34 PM
How does titegroup work for you in the 32 log case. I have no experience shooting that powder. Is it cleaner than unique? I saw a H&R 586 lately at $280 mint with long heavy barrel. Sure looks strong. No I have not used or known anyone that has used a H&R 73. However member 32 Magnum in post 217 this thread has some usage. Have fun and bangaway.

bangaway
February 5, 2012, 12:48 PM
Many thanks for all the info on the 732. A lady here wants a handgun and she has trouble working the slides on any of the little autos. She can single action the 732. She never tried the double action. I saw an almost new long heavy barrel H&R 586 yesterday for $280. Is this price high? Have you used this model and will it shoot like its target appearance suggests? It is in 32 magnum. Have fun and bangaway.

bangaway
February 5, 2012, 01:05 PM
Is your friend's 32 ruger an adjustible site single six? How does it shoot for him? Mine was a 9.5 inch and it was stolen after my first range session. I'm looking for another. What ammo has he been using in it? Have fun and bangaway.

bangaway
February 5, 2012, 01:10 PM
Great looking hoglegs there. Use them much? Looks like good shooters and lots of memories too. Have fun and bangaway.

32 Magnum
February 5, 2012, 02:01 PM
bangaway,
A little history on the M586. It was one of three models (pics of the 3 are posted earlier in this thread) designed by H&R to handle the joint venture Federal - H&R, Inc. developed .32 H&R Magnum. Work on the cartridge and the handguns was completed in late 1983 and the guns and ammo were introduced to the public in 1984. The models were in very short production as H&R, Inc. closed down in Jan.-Feb. 1986. As such, most of the "500 Series" .32 Magnum handguns are fairly scarce. I spend a lot of time viewing selling prices on the internet gun auction sites, gunshows, auctions, etc. to keep up with H&R firearms sales prices for the BLUE BOOK and I can say that $280 is just a bit lower than average for that model. It is the "WESTERN" version with plow share grips, side loading and ejection with right side loading gate and ejector rod mounted on the right side of the barrel and a 5 shooter. I've owned a couple but only shot one (it was used when I purchased it a number of years ago) with a 4 5/8" barrel. In my opinion the accuracy was above average and shooting it was lots of fun. The standard Federal 85 gr hollow point generates as much muzzle energy as a mid range .38 SPEC. Many of the modern loads (especially Buffalo Bore's .32 Magnum Heavy load - get more out of the cartridge but are specifically noted as being too strong for the original H&R guns.
Here's some pics.
p.s. (CAUTION-extreme bragging follows) - I own the original chamber reamer for the .32 H&R Magnum made by H&R, Inc. and the original 5 dummy test fit cartridges made by Federal for H&R. They were presented to me by a close friend who was a member of senior management with H&R and NEF. If you'd like to pics of these, let me know and I'll take some and post them.

Jaymo
February 5, 2012, 03:12 PM
Can the Ruger Single Six .32 H&R Mag handle the hotter .32 H&R loads, like Buffalo Bore, or is it too hard on the gun?
I have one in stainless with the fake ivory grips and would like to know if it's as tough as my other Ruger revolvers, or is it better suited to .22 LR pressure/recoil levels.

I'd love to have some of the H&R/NEF .32 Mag revolvers.
Can the 5 shot H&R .32 S&W Long revolvers be safely reamed out to .32 H&R Mag, or is it too much?
I don't see a difference in the frames between the H&R/NEF .32 long and .32 H&R revolvers.

Feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong. I'm not interested in feeding my ego by always being right.
I'm interested in keeping all my parts attached and working properly, so I can live and earn a living.

I've been a .32 fan ever since shooting my grandfather's Colt Police Positive Special .32-20.

I've been planning on loading .32 long and .32 H&R with BP, just for fun, BTW.
Why not? My little Ruger is stainless, and BP is good, smoky fun.
I think a .32H&R case full of 777 would be almost as much fun as BP, and more powerful.

bangaway
February 6, 2012, 01:04 AM
Thank you for the info and great pictures. The one I saw was shorter than 7.5 inches. Maybe a 6 inch. Will look closer. I would be very interested in your bragging items as I have never seen revolver reamers or dummy cartridges. I will look at Buffalo Bore's offers just to see what is available.

NoZombies
February 6, 2012, 06:15 AM
Jaymo,

The single six will handle the buffalo bore offerings in stride. As with most (All?) of the Ruger offerings, they are much stronger than needed for the chambering.

Stainz
February 6, 2012, 12:31 PM
The problem I had with my two .32 H&RM Rugers, a 4.6" BHG SS SSM and a 4"" SP101, was the almost out of spec large chambers - .337+". Doesn't sound like much, when you consider that commercial ammo and dies size to .334", but it was 'enough' working of the brass to limit reloading life of the brass to once or twice. Not so good, considering the scarce nature and high cost of said .32 H&RM and S&WL brass.

I did buy the 2.5" NEF R73 - here it is after cleaning and before firing:

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/002-3.jpg

Here it is with the 'rest' of my .32's - a 632 Pro:

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/004-3-1.jpg

I'll get around to shooting some .32 S&WLs through the NEF later today or Tuesday.

Stainz

bangaway
February 26, 2012, 11:03 PM
fella here has a s&w model 16-4 in a four inch .32 mag.. I bet it would shoot well. He wants $750 for it. Never seen one before. Have fun and bangaway.

bangaway
February 26, 2012, 11:07 PM
I forgot the reason for the above post. I wanted to know did the 16-4 madel come only in .32 mag. Have fun and bangaway.

bangaway
February 26, 2012, 11:17 PM
Just found some power pro 300 MP powder but no data for .32 cal. cartridges. I was hopeing Alliant powder would continue giving data in mag. shells smaller than .357. 300 MP is 300 to 500 fps faster than 2400 powder with similar or less pressure. Could help my .32 long/mag loads. Anyone treaded water with this powder in a .32? Have fun and bangaway.

Walkalong
February 27, 2012, 04:15 PM
fella here has a s&w model 16-4 in a four inch .32 mag.. I bet it would shoot well. He wants $750 for it. Never seen one before. Have fun and bangaway.If you like .32 Mag, and can you can find a 4" 16-4 in great shape for $750, jump on it.

Great handling guns.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=160043&stc=1&d=1330377658

evan price
February 28, 2012, 05:29 AM
bangaway, re: titegroup in 32 S&W Long-

I load the Lee 311-93-1R cast lead bullet which I cast in my 6-cavity mold out of recycled range scrap lead. I water-drop the boolits and it tests out to roughly 12 bhn after aging. I tumble-lube them in ALOX and use as-cast which is around .313" diameter.

I use the topmost lube groove (Closest to the nose) as the crimp groove for a good roll crimp. This goes over 2.5 grains of Titegroup powder and a regular Wolf small pistol primer... It shoots very nicely out of my H&R 732 2-1/2" barrel revolver and my 1908 Colt New Police revolver.

It's not a published load, I didn't find anything for this load, powder and boolit combo so I worked up to it. No problems with sticky extraction or flat primers, brass and gun are quite clean after shooting a box full of 'em.

I also load the same combo with 2.5 grains of PROMO powder (Red Dot by weight not volume) this load is not as hot as the Titegroup load but still is not a weak load.

I also experimented with Alliant 800-X powder but decided that Titegroup was the favorite.

The H&R 732 is a surprisingly strong and accurate revolver considering they are not the most advanced and ergonomic design. I really like mine, enough that I am looking for more.

mossy141701
February 28, 2012, 08:24 PM
I have three Smiths in that caliber but the most accurate is a six inch hand ejector.

Clark
March 6, 2012, 05:11 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=159825&d=1330108163

Colt New Police 32 S&W Long mfg 1907, 1.3X Bushnell Phantom Magnum scope

85 gr Hornady .312" JHP, 1.3" OAL, upside down 308 Lee rifle factory crimp,

TIG welded drill rod forcing cone, worked up load with LIL'GUN....

1413 fps over chronograph = 377 foot pounds

NoZombies
March 7, 2012, 12:11 AM
I'll be happy to send you the $40 for the top gun, as it's marked. ;)

Walkalong
March 23, 2012, 06:14 PM
I picked a 1903 up this week. It's a little rough on the outside, with decent lockup, but very good chambers, and a great bore. I have not shot the it yet. I hope to this weekend. The sights sure are teenie tiny.

I also picked up a rusty H&R 832 .32 Long at the last gun show, but have no pics yet. It shoots pretty well. Great sights and a pretty good trigger.

Model 1903 .32 Long
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=161551&stc=1&d=1332540571

bangaway
April 2, 2012, 11:28 AM
Did you get a chance to make some noise with the new guns? How old do you think the 1903 is as it looks great to me? What is an 832 h&r? I have seen a 732 in short barrel. Have fun and bangaway.

bangaway
April 2, 2012, 11:36 AM
Lady here wants a gun but not strong enough to work slides on autos. Anyone have trigger work done on a H&R 732? How did it turn out? Have fun and bangaway.

bangaway
April 24, 2012, 01:34 PM
Found 313249 and 311252 moulds, both are new and 2 cav. Anyone use these boolits in .32 s&w or s&w long? Lee made a wadcutter mould at one time. Does anyone have one and what weight is it? Fired 98 gr. mag tech lrn at 3" pine and it did not exit. Sure knocked a pop can flippie. Have fun and bangaway.

If you enjoyed reading about ".32 S&W Long Fans?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!