HK P2000 Shooting Low Gunsmith Solutions

PDA

hotajax
February 14, 2011, 07:45 AM
I just go this gun. What can a gunsmith do to raise the rear sights? My shots are grouped tightly about 6-8 inches below the bull. Please, save me the malarkey about "it's always the gun and not the shooter" - the military taught me alot.

If you enjoyed reading about "HK P2000 Shooting Low Gunsmith Solutions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JR956678
February 14, 2011, 08:41 AM
I had exactly the same results when I first started shooting a P2000SK.

What I have learned is that:

1 - The stock H&K sights line up a bit differently than I was used to - if you line up the dots horizontally you are actually aiming low - you have to line up the top of the front dot with the top of the rear dots (it's smaller than the rear dots).

2 - The front dot covers your target - or put another way, the gun puts the bullet where the front dot is - not above it.

Once I made those two adjustments I found myself shooting very very accurately with it.

I don't believe you can raise the rear sight but I do believe you can get different heights of front sights - you may want to explore that avenue.

hotajax
February 15, 2011, 05:31 PM
Don't you mean line the bottom of the front dot with the tops of the rear dots? What you described sounds pretty much like a horizontal arrangement of the 3 dots.

Bentonville
February 15, 2011, 10:31 PM
Try his suggestions. He is right on about the HK sights designed to cover the target unlike a Smith and Wesson type sight with a pumpkin on a post or sight at 6 o'clock. Took me a while to get it too. Also, with my P30, I had to experiment with the grip panels and backstraps to get a fit that put my sights on target each time I pulled up the pistol. Yours only has the interchangeable back straps but it still makes a difference. I wouldn't have a gunsmith mess with it until you have practiced a lot and tried the different sight pictures, etc. Many on this forum will have great suggestions. You might get some ideas at the unashamedly biased HKPro.com for things strictly HK. Good Luck.

hotajax
February 16, 2011, 07:19 AM
I would try a suggestion, but what he described, aligning the top of the front dot with the top of the rear dots, sounds like they'll all be in a row, right? And when there'll all in a row, it's shooting low.

meytind
February 16, 2011, 06:13 PM
Are you trying to get the rounds to impact at the top of the front sight? HK pistols are zeroed so that the dot on the front sight is the point of impact when the sights are lined up so you want to cover your target with the front sight.

mnhntr
February 16, 2011, 06:20 PM
Try different ammo. I have a USPc and it likes 147gr ammo. I tried several different weights and all were either low or high until I tried the heavyweights.

rellascout
February 16, 2011, 06:23 PM
Are you trying to get the rounds to impact at the top of the front sight? HK pistols are zeroed so that the dot on the front sight is the point of impact when the sights are lined up so you want to cover your target with the front sight.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/Furyataurus/holds.jpg

+1 The bottom one is the sight picture you should be using. If you are using either of the other 2 you will be lowering the point of impact. Sorry but its more than likely the Indian not the arrow. LOL :) Have someone else shoot the gun. If you know someone who owns and shoots a lot of HK that would be best. If they get the same results you get then call HK and try to get them to fix it.

hotajax
February 17, 2011, 08:29 AM
"The Indian and not the arrow" Right. Why didn't I think of that? If you read my original post, the shots were tightly grouped below the bull using the tradtional site picture.

rellascout
February 17, 2011, 08:43 AM
"The Indian and not the arrow" Right. Why didn't I think of that? If you read my original post, the shots were tightly grouped below the bull using the tradtional site picture.

By traditional site picture you mean?

If you are not using the dead on hold and covering the target that is the reason the gun is hitting low. If you are using the wrong site picture then it is you the Indian not the arrow. I am willing to bet that if you adjust your sight picture you will get positive results. Not every gun is built to shoot the same.

If you really want to raise the point of impact and change the pistol to you preferred sight picture I would call HK or an HK armorer and see what they suggest. I think that you might run into more trouble than it is worth.
Has anyone else shot the gun?

NMGonzo
February 17, 2011, 06:28 PM
Aim higher?

If you enjoyed reading about "HK P2000 Shooting Low Gunsmith Solutions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!