357 nickel

PDA

jetsfan-24
February 14, 2011, 03:36 PM
hey i have some 357 nickel headstamp cbc is it any good two reload ?

If you enjoyed reading about "357 nickel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
February 14, 2011, 04:01 PM
Yes. CBC brass works just fine for reloading.

Nickle plated brass sometimes splits after fewer firings than unplated brass, but until it does, it's good to go.

altitude_19
February 14, 2011, 06:53 PM
Nickel is more brittle. Don't be surprised if you peel it off during re-sizing...just make sure the brass underneath is still in servicable condition.

gamestalker
February 14, 2011, 07:12 PM
I load a lot of nickel for my .357 mag.. It produces a bit tighter crimp, which is good when loading full house magnum stuff. But on the other side of the spectrum, it doesn't last as long as standard yellow brass, and presures seem to a litttle bit higher with it. Probably because it's thicker and expands less when firing.

Bula
February 14, 2011, 08:30 PM
I load and shoot just if it were yellow brass. Try and take it easy on the belling/crimping though. This is how you'll fatigue it faster.

Walkalong
February 14, 2011, 08:34 PM
It won't peel off. No worries. :)

HOLY DIVER
February 14, 2011, 09:29 PM
i do find it a little harder 2 work with than standard brass but i've reloaded tons of it

res45
February 14, 2011, 10:44 PM
My old Lyman 38/357 dies sizes either one just fine,Nickel is harder than brass so it tends to work harden sooner than brass,it also resist corrosion so it nice if you carry your ammo in leather belt loops.

Nickel cases tend to split down the side or crack around the mouth sooner than brass but honestly I haven't noticed much of a difference to choose one over the other. I can't remember the last time I threw one away.

kelbro
February 14, 2011, 10:48 PM
I load and shoot just if it were yellow brass. Try and take it easy on the belling/crimping though. This is how you'll fatigue it faster.

Good advise there. I get many loads out of nickel .357 Rem brass. I use the nickel to segregate my 'warmer' loads.

Drail
February 14, 2011, 11:05 PM
"It won't peel off." Yes, it will. A Remington factory rep told me that the reason nickel plated brass is made is for cases that will be used for higer pressure loads. It supposedly will take more pressure "for one loading only". Because the expansion characteristics of brass and nickel are different after a couple of expansion and compression cycles the bond will weaken. I've seen plenty of nickel plated cases flake nickel in the tumbler and in my dies and split after two or three reloads. It really depends how much it expands in the chamber and how tightly it gets resized.

GaryL
February 14, 2011, 11:12 PM
Use a little touch of Imperial sizing wax with it. Less likely to peel off or damage the cases.

Minnesota Wild
February 14, 2011, 11:25 PM
I almost always reload nickel in my 357 and 38. I have worn the nickle off the brass part after reloading them too many times. I've never had one flake, though they do split and have case mouth cracks after only 5-7 reloadings. I do load some pretty hot 357 stuff and I've never had problems with Remington and WW plated brass...

Walkalong
February 15, 2011, 04:07 PM
Yes, it will...........I've seen plenty of nickel plated cases flake nickel in the tumbler
IMHO a little flaking is not "peeling off". I was responding to a post that said it might peel off but if the brass underneath was OK it was still good. To me that is not just a little flaking here or there that can on occasion happen. Perhaps I misunderstood and he meant flaking. Flaking was much more of a problem many years ago than it is now. The makers do a better job these days. :)

GLShooter
February 15, 2011, 08:26 PM
I would load the 357 up and never look back. I shoot nickeled cases in 45 ACP for all my PPC and BE loads. They polish up quicker and I have seen no real wear issues on the plating r early case failure as compared to brass brass. YMMV

Greg

7.62 Nato
February 16, 2011, 12:08 AM
I've wondered about annealing nickled brass to make it less brittle. Is it possible, or feasable ?

langenc
February 16, 2011, 12:12 AM
Why bother?? I think most all my 357 is nickle.

If you enjoyed reading about "357 nickel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!