Crushing 38 Special Brass

PDA

BigN
February 14, 2011, 06:53 PM
Tonight I'm loading 38 Special rounds. I was first using Sierra 125 gr JHP, .357, which worked great. About 1/2 way through, I decided to use Hornady HP-XTP bullets, 110 gr, .357. They crushed 6 pcs of brass in a row, they would not go in the brass. I then switched back to the Sierras and they fit perfectly. Anyone had experience in this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Crushing 38 Special Brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bula
February 14, 2011, 07:13 PM
Sounds like you need to bell a little more. Mic them, make sure those XTP's are running .358"

BigN
February 14, 2011, 07:39 PM
I mic'd both brands and they're both running .356/.357. Could it be the copper jacket on the XTP is harder, causing it to catch on the rim of the brass? Doesn't make any sense to me...

smurf hunter
February 14, 2011, 07:40 PM
I sometimes crush cases when I forget to adjust my expander die after switching to loading cast lead from jacketed bullets. Usually the lead just shaves off though...

Walkalong
February 14, 2011, 07:41 PM
Yep, a little more bell.

ReloaderFred
February 14, 2011, 11:12 PM
You have to give the bullet a place to go and belling the case mouth does that. It acts like a funnel to feed the bullet into the mouth of the case.

Hope this helps.

Fred

ArchAngelCD
February 14, 2011, 11:45 PM
I agree, you probably need a little more flare.

gamestalker
February 15, 2011, 01:51 AM
Are you sure they are crushing at seating, or are they possibly crushing because of too much crimp? I've actually seated both of those bullets without any belling of the mouth before, and although it's kind of a hinky process, it didn't cause any cases to crush. If your not sure, back your seating die out until it isn't touching the case mouths, and then see what happens when you seat the bullet.

murf
February 15, 2011, 02:40 AM
like gamestalker says, you may need to readjust your seating die for the different type of bullet. the canneluer won't be in the same place for those two bullets.

murf

Walkalong
February 15, 2011, 03:03 PM
Good point murf. We assumed he had done that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Crushing 38 Special Brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!