Remington Nylon 66

PDA

scandmx5
February 14, 2011, 10:47 PM
I'm just curious how many of you guys out there own one? Still love it this many years later?

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Nylon 66" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Red Tornado
February 15, 2011, 12:31 AM
I've got one and love it. Got a Spee-D-Loader and usually blast through 120 rounds in about 5 minutes. Reloading takes a little longer.:)
RT

Owen Sparks
February 15, 2011, 12:44 AM
I wonder why they quit making that rifle. If I ever run across a clean one at a gun show I might just have to buy it.

scandmx5
February 15, 2011, 01:39 AM
I miss mine terribly. When I was in my early 20's and lived on my own, times got hard and I sold mine. It was the black/chrome one. Still in mint condition. It was awesome! More parts than Browning .50 Cal machine gun though lol

Hunterdad
February 15, 2011, 07:10 AM
I have one that my grandfather gave my on my 18th birthday that was made in 1962. It is one of my favorite guns and I actually shoot it in my rifle league and do well with it. They're pretty darn accurate.

gloucestergarand
February 15, 2011, 07:26 AM
Bought my Black Diamond Nylon 66 at the Fulda Rod & Gun in 1981, mabye $90....wifey's favorite plinker now when she isn't living life large as a safe queen.

bdbecker
February 15, 2011, 11:11 AM
My Dad has one in Mohawk Brown that he used for coon hunting growing up, and we used for coon hunting when us kids were growing up. I'd bet that rifle has seen more raccoons than most dogs do in their lifetime, and it was also the first firearm I ever shot.

Saw two of them at Gary's Gun Shop in Sioux Falls this weekend. I think the "more used" one was either in the low $200 or low $300 range, and the other "less used" one was priced $40 or so higher. Both were in pretty decent shape and I thought about picking one up for a few minutes, but then I realized that I'll eventually get Dad's someday (hopefully a long time off).

MtnCreek
February 15, 2011, 11:17 AM
I have a 66 and love it. I always keep my eye out for a 77, but have yet to find a good deal on one.

W.E.G.
February 15, 2011, 11:19 AM
I wonder why they quit making that rifle.

Remington sold the tooling to an outfit in Brazil.

The boys in Brazil manufactured the gun for a number of years.

I tried to get them to start making the Nylon 66 again, but it would appear that the tooling has been scrapped.

See http://www.thehighroad.org//showthread.php?t=299346&highlight=Nylon&page=3

ar24095
February 15, 2011, 11:27 AM
My Grandfather left me his black and chrome model that he purchased in the 60's when he passed in 1974 and I still have it today and will until I have a grandson to give it to.

btg3
February 15, 2011, 11:31 AM
I had the Nylon 76 (lever action). The stock cracked early-on in the thin cross-sectional area above the trigger. The result was a wobbly stock that would not shoot straight and could not be repaired.

montveil
February 15, 2011, 11:37 AM
I had my Nylon 66 since 1967.. Love it.
I need a rear sight or how to repair one. I have the blade and screw but don't know how to assemble.. Maybe the screw hole in the receiver is stripped, maybe I am missing a part any suggestions.
I find that open sights are the best as the sheet metal receiver is rather flimsy for scope mounting
with a speedy loader one can really reload fast.

Hanshi
February 15, 2011, 11:57 AM
I've had a Mohawk brown 66 for around 25 years or more and really like it. It's a very accurate and reliable .22. I mounted a 4X (old model steel) Weaver scope on it and it serves quite well. The mounting grooves are rather flimsy and it took a bit of fitting to get right.

Flash!
February 15, 2011, 01:14 PM
my local gun shop has one...... they are asking close to $300 for it...... what are these actually selling for these days?

shootr
February 15, 2011, 04:30 PM
Well, I just saw a decent but not pristine one for $375. Thought it was a little high, but they don't seem to stick around long.

TexasPatriot.308
February 15, 2011, 05:29 PM
wish I still had mine...

ngnrd
February 15, 2011, 08:29 PM
I had one, mid 80's vintage. Just sold it a couple months ago for $250. Took about 20 hours from the time I posted it to having cash in hand, and the buyer walked away smiling. Probably could have sold it for $300 pretty easy, maybe more.

SGW42
February 15, 2011, 08:38 PM
Shop around here had a 66 and a matching one that took detachable box magazines (don't know what model number that style is). Forget what they were asking but it wasn't under 300 for each of them.

ray55classic
February 15, 2011, 08:50 PM
My father bought mine for my 8th birthday in 63'. I still own her,she still shoots well. I wouldn't even try to guess at how many thousands of rounds she's fired but it's likely 6 figures. GREAT RIFLE!!......Ray

Seven High
February 15, 2011, 09:33 PM
I wish that Remington would manufactre the Nylon series again. They would sell a boat load to all the baby boomers.

ole farmerbuck
February 15, 2011, 09:45 PM
I miss mine terribly. When I was in my early 20's and lived on my own, times got hard and I sold mine. It was the black/chrome one. Still in mint condition. It was awesome! More parts than Browning .50 Cal machine gun though lol
I did the same thing so i got this a while back.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/farmerbuck/Nylon66.jpg

Liberty1776
February 15, 2011, 09:45 PM
got a green one... will NEVER get rid of it...

351 WINCHESTER
February 15, 2011, 09:48 PM
The nylon 66 is probably the most relaible, trouble free .22 auto loader ever made. Remington quit making them claiming their machinery was worn out. They sold it to an outfit in Brazil and they probably made a killing on those things just like Remington did.

The nylon was my second .22 and it was my constant companion for several decades. I learned to shoot hand tossed quarters and golf balls with it. About the only complaint I ever had was it was not scope friendly as the receiver and barrel are not rigid enough and your shots will wander with minor changes in your grip.

Evans
February 15, 2011, 09:51 PM
I still have mine. It was my first 22.
Love shooting it and its very accurate. It's still my go to plinking rifle.
I made a bunch of speed loaders for it out of some PVC tubing,string,hot glue and ear plugs. I made 20 or so of these leaders for less then $10 and can reload as fast if not faster then the store bought one.

nc35hunter
February 15, 2011, 09:56 PM
My younger brother has one of these gems, also a hand-me-down from our grandfather. It was the first trigger I ever pulled. Last one I saw at a gun show was priced over $300.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to fix the rear sight, the screw that holds the rear sight down has become stripped, so for now the gun lives in the closet. Still cycles just fine though.

I know it accounted for hundreds of rabbits, yard varmints, and a handful of deer over the years though.

JohnM
February 15, 2011, 10:16 PM
I bought one of the first ones into a gun shop when I was in high school.
Never went anywhere without it.
Wish I still had the thing.

mgkdrgn
February 16, 2011, 08:21 AM
Still have my 77 (mag fed model) ... first gun I ever bought ... 1974.

Picked up an Apache Black and Chrome 66 a few weeks ago.

hoofchaz
February 16, 2011, 10:12 AM
Mine is the first gun I ever purchased (from my father). You had to deliver a lot of papers to make $75 back then! Anything you need to know about these guns can be found here;
http://www.nylonrifles.com/forums/index.php

The prices for some of the rarer models are incredible.
CHAZ

JohnM
February 16, 2011, 11:20 AM
I has forgotten just when they came out, I guess it was some time in 1959.
Remington must have been doing some advertising about these new 22's, because I seem to recall us kids eagerly waiting to see one of them and wondering what they would be like.
I was probably driving the local hardware store or gun shop nuts about them on a daily basis.
For 22's most of us had old beater single shots and these Nylon 66's at 50 bucks were going to be expensive.
But, I had managed to save up the money and when they finally came in I got one and proudly took it home.
We were all hard pressed to keep saving up enough quarters to feed that sleek new rifle!

montveil
February 16, 2011, 11:28 AM
I'd appreciate any advice on how to fix the rear sight, the screw that holds the rear sight down has become stripped,

second on that.
I really don't know how this screw really works or if it only has one screw for elevation.

shootr
February 16, 2011, 11:39 AM
I'm just a tinkerer and someone with more expertise and a better solution will probably weigh in but I'd look for a new screw and / or part that's stripped. Or, if it's the barrel, look to tap to the next larger size. Numrich has some of the parts:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=4358

Your local 'smith would likely have a screw that fits and/or could tap it for you.

FYI - I bought a selection of screws from Midway - I believe Pachymar makes it - just for such things. Probably won't ever use them all, but it's sure been nice to have such things at hand when I've needed them.

Red Tornado
February 16, 2011, 12:34 PM
I saw a black and chrome a few years ago at a gun show for $125 and was in the process of snatching it up when I realized it was a CBC, so I passed on it. Although they're not 'original' is there any difference in quality/reliability in the Brazilians? Any reports?
RT

Red Tornado
February 16, 2011, 12:39 PM
Mgkdrgn,
If you dont' mind, how much did that black & chrome go for?
Thanks,
RT

788Ham
February 16, 2011, 12:49 PM
I was at a gun show 2 months ago, some guy had 2 of the brown ones for sale, $375 each and he wouldn't even talk if you didn't have your wallet in hand!

Shootr, I bought the same box of screws from Midway, best buy I've ever made. Twice now I found the right screw and plug screw for a long ago needed repair.

JohnM
February 16, 2011, 01:01 PM
375! Wow, I would never have thought those things could be worth that.
Must have been millions made.

mainmech48
February 16, 2011, 01:05 PM
Seem to remember reading somewhere that one of the primary reasons Remington discontinued the Nylon series was that the injection molds for the stock had become irreparably worn.

The cost of replacing them was supposedly going to be more than projected sales volume would be capable of amortizing within the period their "money people" told them it must be without an increase in the per-unit price that would render it uncompetitive in what they perceived as the model's primary market segment. Stagnant sales figures and increased materials/labor costs were cited as being other contributing factors, IIRC.

The manufacturing rights and tooling were sold to an outfit (CBC, CIB?) in Brazil. Whether they invested in new molds or not, I don't know. I've read that some number of Nylons were supposed to have been manufacturered in Canada too, but I've never personally seen one so marked.

On my "Black Diamond" Nylon 66, the rear sight has screw adjustments for both elevation and windage. It's secured on the projection at the forward end of the receiver cover by a rivet.

If it's the hole that the elevation screw for the rear sight goes in (it works by compressing the spring-tempered sheet metal piece it's formed of) that is stripped, you might try removing the screw and using a tap of the correct size and thread pitch to "chase" the threads. If they're too badly stripped to be restored to functionality this way, about your only recourse is to go to the closest oversize tap and screw. FWIW, it's sometimes more prudent to "go metric" here, as there is often a standard metric size closer to the original dimension than the next SAE standard size is, which can uncomplicate the job a good deal as reaming or redrilling the hole is often not necessary before retapping.

If it's the threads on the screw itself, you'll either have to locate a factory replacement (Numrich would be my first stop) or improvise with something from the hardware store.

scandmx5
February 16, 2011, 04:57 PM
sold mine for $350.
i'd do anything including paying $500 to get it back :(

BIGR
February 16, 2011, 11:40 PM
Mine has been a safe queen for the last 15 years or so. Nice lightweight rifle. Never shot it enough to really see how accurate it was.

CZguy
February 17, 2011, 12:18 AM
I've been looking for a nice brown one for several years. The article in American Rifleman awhile back sure increased interest in them. (and the price)

awgrizzly
February 17, 2011, 12:37 AM
Add me to the list with a black diamond. I couldn't resist buying it... childhood memories.

KCJ
February 17, 2011, 12:49 AM
Paid $42.00 for mine in 1966, shot hundreds of coon, rabbit and rats with it and trained a dozen kids between friends and my own. It has only misfired twice in its life, and both times it had misfed around. It is my understanding that Remington dropped them do to the fact that they are very "labor intensive" to make and assemble, don't take it apart! Still looks like new, and is shot regularly.

Col. Plink
February 17, 2011, 12:09 PM
Sorry to say I had a brown 77 model that ran like a top, even with replacement mags. It's gone, pawned by a "friend" :(:fire:

Have a green/brown swirl now that runs like crap, but shoots well...

some pics: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=553642

Does ANYONE have ANY tips to help this thing feed better? Seems the bullets don't 'pop up' enough out of the magazine lips to get picked-up by the bolt...

joed
February 17, 2011, 01:04 PM
The first one I had was a model 10c that had a 10 shot clip. Don't know why but I sold it. About 10 years later Kmart had the 77 on sale so I bought it. Same as the 10c just in green.

Only problem with these is they are very fussy about what you feed them.

Moose458
February 17, 2011, 03:55 PM
Back in the mid 90s, I tried to find a 66, but could only find a couple that had really been abused. Our K-mart had 2 model 77s that had been in storage a long time (dust was 1/2 inch thick on the boxes), so I grabbed both of them, and gave one to my dad. Great guns.

mac66
February 17, 2011, 05:26 PM
I love the 66. Just to clear up some history on them. They were brought out in 1959 and made until about 1989 or so. They didn't sell the machinery to CBC in Brazil. Dupont who was owned by the same people who owned Remington also owned or partly owned the Brazilian company that made guns and ammo for the military down there. CBC actually made and sold the Nylon 66 from the early 1960s onward in south America. As Remington started cutting back on 66s in the 1980s, the CBC started to be imported into the US by a number of companies. FIE, Magtec and a couple other importers. At one point you could go to K-Mart and find a Remington 66 and an imported CBC Nylon clone side by side.

They are still great little rifles and were way ahead of their time.

And yes, www.nylonrifles.com is the place to find about them. They even have pretty good videos on how to take them apart and put them back together. Guess who the guy in the video is? :)

Daniel B
February 17, 2011, 05:33 PM
I have my grandfathers 66. This thing runs like a champ. Its been cleaned once in 10 years. It mainly just sits in the safe tucked in the back corner.

I took it apart some years back for a cleaning. somehow got it all back together.

Never going to sell this sucker.

mac66
February 17, 2011, 05:41 PM
Remington made well over a million 66s in various forms and that is not even counting the detachable mag fed, bolt actions or lever action versions. They are not really that rare and the prices I see on them give me sticker shock.

Keep your eyes open and you may still find one somewhere cheap.

mingo
February 17, 2011, 10:09 PM
This thread really brings back memories from the 60's for me. My brother had a model 12 that dad bought new for him. After a couple years and only a couple hundred rounds of ammo through it, he traded it for a Rem 870. I didn't realize they only made those for 2 years. It's no wonder why I've never seen one in the gun shops. Sure wish he would of hung on to that one!
mingo

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Nylon 66" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!