Favorite 45ACP load for CCW (4-5" bbl)

PDA

ExMachina
February 15, 2011, 04:16 PM
Well, I'm a bit out of date when it comes to defensive pistol ammo. Going to renew my CHP so want to choose a good load.

Curious to know what the new "favorite" load is/are for 45ACP (civilian) defensive use. As the title says, I run a 4" gun and a 5" gun.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Favorite 45ACP load for CCW (4-5" bbl)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NG VI
February 15, 2011, 04:25 PM
230 HST, or 230+P HST if you like it. By Federal.

The new Ranger-T should be great too, and of course there are the old stand-bys like the Gold Dot, XTP, Golden Saber, that PDX stuff from Winchester, whatever.

Really can't go wrong with current production JHPs made for carry.

Winkman822
February 15, 2011, 04:44 PM
Well, first and foremost, what feeds fires and ejects in my gun may not do the same in yours. For that reason, I'd advise running about 100 rounds of whatever you settle on before using it in a carry gun on your hip when you walk out the door to go out into the world for the day.

I find that 230 gr. Remington Bonded Golden Sabers function 100% in all of my 1911s, I've had pretty good luck with 230 gr. Federal HST aside from a couple of hiccups in my WIlson CQB Compact. I find that Winchester's Ranger T works wonderfully in everything I own (again 230 gr. loading), and I also find that Hornady XTP in 200 gr and 230 gr works well in everything I own and carry.

ExMachina
February 15, 2011, 06:36 PM
Hmmm, the HST looks like a vast improvement over the Hydra Shok.

Has anybody done any ballistic gel testing of the HST and the HST+P?

NG VI
February 15, 2011, 06:40 PM
Lots. Look up the ATK tests to see it perform head to head against the Gold Dot and often others as well.

Bananna bore
February 15, 2011, 10:36 PM
Don't worry so much about the new "magic bullet of the moment" as we are constantly led to believe it is uncool not to have-- just get you a bucket full of the cheapest lead or jacketed ammo you can find and learn where to put your lead. Bad guy silhouettes that have correct anatomy from Sportsman's Guide will help you learn where to put the the "hottest new hollow point" at the worst time of your life. 45's for me forever!!:D

ExMachina
February 16, 2011, 12:32 AM
Don't worry. No illusions of magic bullets here. I mostly have concerns about poorly-designed bullets that don't expand reliably and end up over-penetrating.

DasFriek
February 16, 2011, 02:19 AM
Winchester T-Series 230gr +p
Gold Dot 230gr
Federal HST 230gr +P

Then you can spend a ton of cash on the Barns XPB loaded ammo that are all copper bullets in the 185gr loads. Good stuff but way expensive.

ExMachina
February 16, 2011, 10:37 AM
Yeah, it was seeing those copper bullets that made me realize that I had been out of the loop for a while ;)

Never heard of them and am still not sure why they exist.

Having a hard time finding any HST at a reasonable price (so some things never change, right?)

BlackSky
February 16, 2011, 05:36 PM
As I burn through my stash of HydraShok 230g I'm replacing it with HST 230g.

ttheel
February 16, 2011, 08:12 PM
Right now my Dan Wesson VBOB is packed full of Double Tap 230 gr JHP's. 1010 fps and 521 ft lbs of energy & its not even +P.

If you enjoyed reading about "Favorite 45ACP load for CCW (4-5" bbl)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!