Best bullet weight for.....

PDA

cuesandmore
February 15, 2011, 03:40 PM
What is the best bullet weight for a Mini-14 with a barrel twist of 1 in 7? Have been loading for a number of calibers for some time now, and have decided to load for my Mini.

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best bullet weight for....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TonyAngel
February 15, 2011, 03:44 PM
For 1:7? Pick one, although you may start to have trouble with bullets under 45gr. The only thing that limits you on length is that they should be able to fit into the magazine. As for what your rifle will like the best, only your rifle can tell you that.

Still, most that go out of their way to get a 1:7 twist barrel, do so because they want to shoot the 75 and 77gr bullets.

cheygriz
February 15, 2011, 07:00 PM
55 to 69 will always work. Heavier or lighter is a crapshoot.

GLShooter
February 15, 2011, 07:17 PM
A middle of the road approach would be the 62 grain bullets. Price goes way up when you start getting a bigger bullet than that in loaded ammo or for components. That is the only reason I've never gone faster than 1:9 on my AR's.

Greg

Shoney
February 16, 2011, 08:02 AM
Barrel maker Lilja lists 85-90 as ideal. The 55's usually will work, but can be a crap shoot. Bullets from 60 thru 100 may work.

redbullitt
February 16, 2011, 09:47 AM
Id be shooting the heavies, provided you can get them in the mag.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best bullet weight for....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!