Firearms in National Forest Help: wisconsin

PDA

Birdmang
February 15, 2011, 03:44 PM
I have some land in northern Wisconsin that borders the Nicolet National forest. I have called the DNR, Forest County Sheriff and the National forest people. All of them tell me to talk to one of the other two entities.

I want to get some answers, if anyone can help then that would be great.

1. Can I carry a sidearm, rifle or shotgun while hiking in the Nicolet?

2. While small game hunting in the Nicolet, what calibers can I use?

3. While small game hunting in the Nicolet, can I carry a sidearm?

4. While small game hunting in the Nicolet, can I use a shotgun?

5. While small game hunting in the Nicolet is there a magazine capacity limit?

Thank you for help

If you enjoyed reading about "Firearms in National Forest Help: wisconsin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hermannr
February 15, 2011, 05:24 PM
Whatever you state game laws state apply in a national forest. The National forest has no standing as a seperate entity when it comes to hunting, fishing, etc. Your state game laws apply.

If you game laws say you can hunt with a rifle, pistol or shotgun, that is what you use. If there is a restriction in that particular National Forest, it will be a game law restriction, not a national forest restriction. (that is as to firearms allowed, times, seasons etc)

As to carrying while not hunting, that is state law, as well as game law. There are some restrictions in some states as to having a dog loose with you, or carrying certain weapons during a specific hunting season, is you are no hunting (that is you do not have a hunting license in your posession. again, check your game laws, and you states legal carry (Open and concealed) laws.

Here in WA state you can carry open, or carry a rifle or shotgun, at any time, and have your dog with you, except during deer and Elk season. Then it is absolutely no dogs allowed, and you need a hunting license to carry a rifle or shotgun (pistol or .22 is ok)

xfyrfiter
February 15, 2011, 05:31 PM
You might try search for Wi. hunting and firearm laws. Lots of info.

If you enjoyed reading about "Firearms in National Forest Help: wisconsin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!