URGENT: For the Illinois Gun Owners

PDA

BudMan5
February 15, 2011, 05:17 PM
I am told that there is a chance for an Illinois concealed carry bill to actually get passed this year from a really good source. A really, REALLY good source.

I am starting to visit every single forum that I am subscribed to and not just the firearm forums, every forum and trying to enlist people to first; log on and join www.IllinoisCarry.com and second; join the ISRA and NRA and third, get vocal by calling their State reps and Senators, call radio programs and send Letters to the Editors of every paper in Illinois and fourth, attend IGOLD and get as many people as they know to attend IGOLD. To further that, I am including IGOLD (Illinois GunOwners Lobby Day in Springfield on March 10)posters and an invitations to print them out and post them..

It is not hard to get a political buzz started because of the Internet. It is entirely possible to start a contagious positive buzz started if it breaks out in numerous websites and very definitely not just those directed at firearms. For instance, I have a Jeep Wrangler and belong to four different Jeep forums. I have a travel trailer and belong to two different RV websites.

I am also asking anyone that reads my posts on all of these forums to do the same thing. Go to any forums they belong to and urge folks to do any or all four of the four things I have listed.

Illinois Carry has over 2000 members. By March 10, we can get that to 4,000 or more members.

Todd Vandermyde, the NRA Illinois Lobbyist, is in Springfield fighting for us and he needs to start hearing State Reps and Senators telling him that their office phones are starting to ring off the hook from pro-RTC voters.

Don't wait, do this now. It is time to "gather the clans" because this could happen this very Spring.

If you enjoyed reading about "URGENT: For the Illinois Gun Owners" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Birdmang
February 15, 2011, 05:19 PM
Good Job budman I was just about to do this!

ThePunisher'sArmory
February 15, 2011, 05:27 PM
Awesome.....Lets hope it does go through! Does one have to donate to join this www.IllinoisCarry.com? I went to the sign in page and did that. I will also call Jerry Costello and try to voice my opinion on the matter. He's one of the few democrats that I still respect and stands up for shooters and hunters.

Birdmang
February 15, 2011, 05:45 PM
No you don't have to pay. You can go here:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?

Click sign in, then register now.

mstrat
February 15, 2011, 06:54 PM
I'm completely on board, and doing the same. :) Cheers bud.

Everyone: Keep spreading the word, keep calling your reps, and get people talking about Right To Carry.

Our time is now.

Xfire68
February 15, 2011, 06:59 PM
Lets hope! The only way it will happen is with a "Super Majority" as the Speaker and Governor will not let go anywhere without one.

Kurt S.
February 15, 2011, 07:20 PM
Good for you, IL THR folks!

One thing, I looked up the summary of HB 148 but did not see a reference to a possibility of reciprocity with other states. Guess for you IL folks, doesn't matter at this point too much- one battle at a time, huh?

Again, best of fortune on this, I'm sure we're all behind you.

Kurt

JoeMal
February 15, 2011, 07:32 PM
Geez this would be sweet. I'm already a member, but maybe I'll start making some phone calls...

Kingcreek
February 15, 2011, 08:10 PM
I've been consistantly pulling and praying for this for years. Its about damn time.
For any folks in or near >>> IGOLD (Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day) is in Springfield March 10, 2011. Ten Thousand people marching on the capitol would make a nice impression and everybody is welcome!

Deanimator
February 15, 2011, 08:19 PM
It would be amusing to be able to carry when I visit my mother at Christmas. I'd certainly feel a lot better driving all over the southeast side of Chicago chauffeuring my relatives around at night.

Davey Wavey
February 15, 2011, 11:21 PM
One thing, I looked up the summary of HB 148 but did not see a reference to a possibility of reciprocity with other states. Guess for you IL folks, doesn't matter at this point too much- one battle at a time, huh?

The current wording of the bills we have open aren't final. They will change over time. That may get put in later.

milq
February 16, 2011, 12:47 AM
Please, anyone in IL...call, write, send smoke signals to your elected officials and ask them to support this! Nearly every one of them in south-eastern IL that I have spoken with are in favor but the bigger numbers are further north, so call them even if you aren't in their district and let them know folks DO want this.

PapaG
February 16, 2011, 08:45 AM
Yes, yes, yes...call, write, and do so politely. We are "under the gun" here in IL and it is a totally uphill fight as we have Chicago politicians to overcome, a Democrat governor who promises to veto any concealed carry bill that reaches his desk, a Senate president who won't allow bills in favor of guns out of committee, and a conservative minority in the General Assembly who are unable to override a veto.
We have our work cut our for us.

wep45
February 19, 2011, 11:33 PM
there is a chance that this may happen.............:D:D:D:D:D:D

get the word out NOW..................a list of representatives and senators..............

http://www.ilga.gov/house/default.asp

a sample message................

"Please initiate and/or support legislation
that DEEMPHASIZES gun control and
PROMOTES concealed or open carry
of hand guns in Illinois.

Hand gun bans and gun controls have
not been an effective deterrent to crime.
The only persons controlled by these
laws are the law abiding citizens.

Gang bangers and criminals obtain and
use firearms illegally on a daily basis.

Please allow the honest people to defend
themselves against attackers and place
the residents of Illinois on an equal level
with the other States that allow their
citizens to own and carry handguns.

Thank you for your consideration."

write to your favorite elected offical NOW!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

belercous
February 20, 2011, 11:26 PM
I'll join after I make this post. I know my state senator Bill Haine is good with CC, and I believe my rep. Jay Hoffman is too.

Now I hate to pee on your parade guys, and I hope I'm wrong, but we're not gonna get CC this year in Illinois due to two reasons. First off, the Chicago/area pols don't want it, and they control the legislature. Second, Governor Pat Quinn said he wouldn't sign any such bill put before him (I can't remember if he said he would veto one). I don't see how these two factors can be overcome.

Could someone please explain how IL is gonna get CC? Wishful thinking isn't enough; a veto-proof passage of a CC bill is certainly not gonna happen, and passage with a simple majority is highly unlikely. Anyone count the votes?

Anyone familiar with IL politics will tell you this is a dream. A nice dream, and one that I would like to share in, but it is not reality. Maybe in 2014, but even that is doubtful. Our best bet is for SCOTUS to incorporate CC into the 2A, athough I doubt Justice Kennedy will go that far just yet.

Again, I hope I'm mistaken.

ToBNamedl8r
February 21, 2011, 12:38 AM
M congressman and my senator are both on board for concealed carry. The governor is going to be the critical point I believe.

belercous
February 21, 2011, 12:59 AM
I just signed-up, for all the good it will do, which is little to none.

Anyone notice that this site was pre-Nov. 2010, when hopes were high that IL could get a republican governor? Well, Brady & Plummer didn't get the top two spots and the GOP is still in the minority in IL. Although somehow Obama's old senate seat went red, Mark Kirk won in a blue state while the governorship stayed Dem. (Go figure that one) Lotta good that does use here at the state level, CC-wise.

I didn't think CC was on the horizon in IL. Still, I have the "It's Time" bumper sticker on my car. It'll be there til its faded. The only way we'll get CC is by judicial fiat. This is an instance where an activist Supreme Court is desireable. While the Roberts Court is judicially activist, they haven't been activist enough in re: CCW.

milq
February 21, 2011, 01:06 AM
belercous, I hope you're mistaken too and while I agree that it's an uphill battle, we must continue to push.
There has been some indication in the press of a turning tide, with the traditionally left leaning Chicago Tribune calling for a "may issue permit system" all of a sudden. This could indicate that even they believe it's going to happen and want to change the rules of what gets passed.

I'll go so far as asking out of state folks to call and let the elected folks know that they won't spend any money here on vacations, etc. unless they can legally carry.

IL is in a serious financial crunch as well and I wonder if we shouldn't remind the elected officials that may be on the fence about RTC, that it will generate some revenue.

ThePunisher'sArmory
February 21, 2011, 07:52 PM
Anyone notice that this site was pre-Nov. 2010, when hopes were high that IL could get a republican governor? Well, Brady & Plummer didn't get the top two spots and the GOP is still in the minority in IL. Although somehow Obama's old senate seat went red, Mark Kirk won in a blue state while the governorship stayed Dem. (Go figure that one) Lotta good that does use here at the state level, CC-wise.

The only reason that demorat quinn won was because of Cook, and St Clair county. I'm sad to say I live in St. Clair right next to the biggest reason in the state to carry.....Scenic East St. Louis. I hope it goes through but am very fearful it will not. The ONLY reason Quinn will get on board is the added income to the state. That is the $100 per year to get your permit. We and our so-called "representatives" will have to inform good old quinn, :rolleyes:, that there will be ALOT of permits sold.....quinns all about the $.....Why do you think our state income tax has gone up under his regime? Thats right to give back to the "poor" people of the state....Who are driving escalades, pumping out kids, and stealing whatever they can.

Birdmang
February 21, 2011, 08:10 PM
Its not only a great site for CCW in IL, they have a real good for sale/trade forum.

ThePunisher'sArmory
February 21, 2011, 08:16 PM
One other glimmer of hope for northern Illinois........Current Mayor Daley chose not to run for re-election!!! Sorry if I have made the thread too "political".....but this is great news!!!! :eek::D

Sentry71
February 21, 2011, 09:30 PM
First post here at THR, and I can't think of a better reason to do it.

Here's hoping it makes its way through Springfield.

MisterMike
February 22, 2011, 01:05 PM
One other glimmer of hope for northern Illinois........Current Mayor Daley chose not to run for re-election!!!

His apparent successor, Rahm Emmanuel, was instrumental in the passage of the Brady bill and is a fervent gun control advocate. He has called the Supreme Court's decision affirming Second Amendment rights "wrong-headed." If anything, it appears that he's even more rabidly anti-gun than Mayor Daley.

ThePunisher'sArmory
February 22, 2011, 06:03 PM
God Mike I hope not. That would be all we need. I live in southern Il however we all in this state realize that the whole thing revolves around what happens in one city........And it aint Springfield.

XxWINxX94
February 22, 2011, 06:23 PM
Current Mayor Daley chose not to run for re-election

Yup, but the guy who will win is so much worse towards guns. Actually, all the main candidates are in support of gun control. Sad because no matter what, an Anti will win the mayoral seat.

ThePunisher'sArmory
February 22, 2011, 07:13 PM
Glad I don't live in that stupid city. Pretty soon it may be this stupid state.

wep45
April 29, 2011, 08:09 AM
illinois house bill 148............right to carry a firearm...................

contact your illinois representative N O W!!!

make that call...........write that letter..........send that email N O W !!!

tell him/her to support house bill 148.

find your rep here..................

http://www.ilga.gov/house/default.asp

belercous
April 29, 2011, 11:57 PM
I may be eating my own words on this one. And I'll be tickled to do so. We're getting very close to a veto-proof majority in both houses so Gov. Quinn will be irrelevant.

Deanimator
April 30, 2011, 11:29 AM
I may be eating my own words on this one. And I'll be tickled to do so. We're getting very close to a veto-proof majority in both houses so Gov. Quinn will be irrelevant.
Is there any word on reciprocity or non-resident licenses?

I hate to have to go to Illinois to visit my mother (She moved out of Chicago a few years ago. Ten minutes farther away from Chicago and she'd have been in Indiana.), but I'd feel a lot better about my chauffeuring of relatives around at night during Christmas week were I actually to have the ability to defend myself in some way likely to be SUCCESSFUL.

ilbob
April 30, 2011, 11:56 AM
Is there any word on reciprocity or non-resident licenses?

I hate to have to go to Illinois to visit my mother (She moved out of Chicago a few years ago. Ten minutes farther away from Chicago and she'd have been in Indiana.), but I'd feel a lot better about my chauffeuring of relatives around at night during Christmas week were I actually to have the ability to defend myself in some way likely to be SUCCESSFUL.
The bill does not allow for reciprocity but does allow for NR licenses. Who knows how that came about. The byzantine workings in the smokey back rooms that produce our laws don't make sense.

Shooter James
April 30, 2011, 06:40 PM
Keep calling your Reps! My Rep is on our side, one of the sponsors of the bill. Lets show America, Illinois may be slow, but We will get it right! We have the majority and the numbers are growing.

Nanook
May 1, 2011, 10:49 PM
I emailed my rep this evening. I wonder what our chances are in reality?

I'd so love to see CCW here in IL. We could join the rest of the country, excepting WI in having CCW if it finally passed.

If they have enough votes they could override the inevitable Quinn veto.

wildbilll
May 2, 2011, 12:50 AM
According to IL law, it takes 3/5ths majority to pass this since it affects home rule.
Therefore. if it passes, it is already veto proof.

ThePunisher'sArmory
May 2, 2011, 04:44 PM
Therefore. if it passes, it is already veto proof.

Awesome....

Rmeju
May 2, 2011, 08:52 PM
Not to be a Doubting Thomas, but I'd be curious to know why this year is different.

I don't say this to be snarky or dismissive... I would actually like to know.

Best of luck. Might even be enough reason to move back.

RmeJu

Sentry71
May 2, 2011, 10:58 PM
Part of the reason for the change has been due to the change in position of several law enforcement groups, from being against the measure, to being in favor of it.

The ISRA site has more information about why this year is better than in the past to see this passed, I'm having trouble tracking it down. Might be best to just go through the posts since the beginning of the year.

http://www.isra.org/

Shooter James
May 3, 2011, 05:14 PM
As of this Morning Gov. Quinn said He will veto HB148 if it comes to His desk. Guys We need a 3/5 vote to override the Gov. Call Your Rep and Senator and ask them kindly to vote YES for HB148. We need all the effort We can muster up. Lets GET-R-DONE!

05FLHT
May 3, 2011, 05:15 PM
I just finished calling every rep (again) that is not a co-sponsor of the 148. We need to keep the pressure on.

My theory on Quinn is that he's being tossed under the bus. The only other politician who spoke out against carry is Daley.

It's going to be close...CALL, EMAIL, & FAX. Rinse and repeat.

The bill is back with the Agriculture Committee today and a vote WILL BE held on the House floor before the end of the week. The House is the only hurdle to passing carry in IL. Quinn means less than the pile of do-do I stepped in last week.

Again CALL, EMAIL, & FAX your rep and every other representative of the people of Illinois.

Updates available on illinoiscarry.com.

Shooter James
May 3, 2011, 05:30 PM
I talked to My Rep and Senator and They are on Our side. Has anyone thought of calling other Reps out of our district to kindly voice our concerns for passing HB148. As for Gov. Quinn, He is history come next election!

Nanook
May 3, 2011, 06:55 PM
Maybe he can take over Ryan's cell, or join him as a cellmate. LOL

They have a lot in common, since it was Ryan who made it a felony to carry a concealed weapon, even if you're not committing any other crime.

It was a misdemeanor previously to that.

wildbilll
May 4, 2011, 12:43 AM
It was reported on the local news that the bill passed the commitee 12-1.
The story made it sound like it would pass the house on friday.
So the big disappointment will come in the senate, no doubt.

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/Ill-committee-passes-gun-bill-despite-veto-threat-121224489.html

Davey Wavey
May 4, 2011, 04:04 AM
Has anyone thought of calling other Reps out of our district to kindly voice our concerns for passing HB148.

CALL EVERY SINGLE REP on the ilga.gov website, every last one, don't leave a single one out. If a rep is a co sponsor thank them and ask for their continued support.

If they ask if you are a constituent tell them you're not but you have friends and family in their area.

The secretaries in Springfield each handle more than one rep. I had more than one secretary recognize me by name and by voice.

usmarine0352_2005
May 4, 2011, 04:41 AM

So is the general consensus that this isn't going to pass?

Davey Wavey
May 4, 2011, 11:51 PM
So is the general consensus that this isn't going to pass?

Not even close.

Nanook
May 5, 2011, 06:47 PM
I emailed my rep more than once, she didn't deign to send a reply. I'll remember her next election cycle.

Hopefully, she'll be pounding the pavement.

shotgunjoel
May 5, 2011, 08:46 PM
The bill failed by six votes http://www.necn.com/05/05/11/Ill-House-rejects-legalizing-concealed-c/landing_nation.html?&blockID=3&apID=367e7563cd8440d5bfa4abfc79569b52

In other Illinois news, concealed carry opponent Mayor Daley wants the city to assign police to protect him after he leaves office http://www.suntimes.com/5201760-417/daley-calls-retirement-bodyguard-request-appropriate.html
Hypocrite

ilbob
May 5, 2011, 08:59 PM
I guess it can be reconsidered tomorrow, but I am not real hopeful.

Gregaw
May 5, 2011, 09:02 PM
65 - 32

That's leaves a lot of votes missing...

Cowards! That's as bad as a 'no'.

Nanook
May 5, 2011, 09:33 PM
That's 21 no shows, to be exact. I think one of those voted 'present' which sounds sort of familiar.

Maybe the 'present' voter has their eyes on the White House at a future date.

I'd like to know the names of these 20, and the ones who voted 'No' so we can vote them out next election. Let them feel the sting of the unemployment line for once.

IllHunter
May 6, 2011, 01:21 AM
of the votes against and "present". As soon as I find it I'll post here. Still work to do, keep calling and find out how they voted, let's target those opposed and give em hell!

shotgunjoel
May 6, 2011, 04:35 AM
Well, for the Cubs fans amongst us, there is always next year.

spyder1911
May 6, 2011, 04:53 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/2z5kqvk.jpg

ThePunisher'sArmory
May 6, 2011, 05:30 PM
This is expected from Illinois government......but still makes me want to puke. Illinois loves its victims!! Looks like if we ever want to conceal carry here, we will just have to keep the range bag in the car......

Shooter James
May 6, 2011, 05:44 PM
The Gov. needs lots of money! So, what's in it for me is at hand. If You know what I mean. If the Gov. wants the Reps on His side, He better start dealing like a good Bussiness Man. Illinois Politics is in the play! What I see is, IT"S NOT OVER!!!!! The monies that is able to come forth from 1st class citizens is in the millions. Money talks and the Gov. better start LISTENING a little clearer. We can help the Gov. if He helps Us! WAKE UP Gov. and the Na sayers!!!!

ThePunisher'sArmory
May 6, 2011, 06:10 PM
I agree with you James. Some one needs to let old crooked quinn know that there is money to be made in CCW. Think of all the additional revenue that would be produced in issuing $150 permits to hundreds of thousands of Illinois citizens. You don't have to hire new workers cause the state police issue them. Hey they may even be able to call back the officers that have been laid off. In addition to that think of all the sales tax dollars from ammo, concealable "small" pistols, and accessories sales. But then again these people have their own agendas.....They don't care at all about "we the people", unless its an election year or we are funding their campaign. Why do you think Blago was kicked out?.......Cause he wouldn't "play ball."

And to those who will say we can get even by voting them out.....remember this, "It's not the people who vote that count. It's the people who count the votes." (Josef Stalin). Remember, this is Illinois were talking about.

usmarine0352_2005
May 6, 2011, 06:20 PM

They say they may try to vote for it again in a few days, what's the chance of it passing?

I wish they'd say three things:

1.) It's a Constitutional right (which they are saying)

2.) Every state in the US has it besides Illinois and Wisconsin.

3.) All of the other states that have it actually had a decrease in crime. (not saying)

ThePunisher'sArmory
May 6, 2011, 06:26 PM
If the vote is going to be this close again, they get everyone to show up, it makes it through the Senate, and no one tells quinn of the money making potential to sway his veto.....Then I would say it will not. After all CCW would also put defensive power directly into the hands of Illinois citizens. Reliance on police would only be to sort out the details after the threat has been stopped. This scares the crooks and power mongers that wield the strong arm of the law in Illinois government. After all, Why do you think all of our gun and hunting laws are so stupid in this state. But that's just my two cents.....

Scimmia
May 6, 2011, 06:36 PM
it makes it through the Senate, and no one tells quinn of the money making potential to sway his veto

Supposedly they have the votes in the Senate lined up already, and Quinn's veto is a moot point as they need a veto proof super majority to pass it anyway. It seems that it's just a matter of getting it through the House.

NukemJim
May 6, 2011, 07:40 PM
Quinn's veto is a moot point as they need a veto proof super majority to pass it anyway.

Do not be so sure, remember what happened in Wisconsin a few years back. Bill passes with enough votes to override the veto, Gov vetoed it, went back to legislature where the main sponsor of the bill defected so the veto was not overridden.

Please remember this is Illinois, dirty tricks (look up how Obama won his state senate seat), back room deals and last moment switches are the rule here not the exception.

NukemJim

Shooter James
May 6, 2011, 09:54 PM
I just wish the backroom deals would get to it,and be done. Every branch of the State needs REVENUE!!!! Do We need to light a fire under their BUTTS!!! Passing HB148 is just the right thing to do for the People of Illinois, and the State will get alot of revenue to go about the States business. I can only see a WIN WIN situation here for all of Us.

shotgunjoel
May 7, 2011, 12:39 AM
If the Gov. wants the Reps on His side, He better start dealing like a good Bussiness Man.
The people of Illinois (read Chicago) don't want a business man, that's why Brady isn't governor.

If you enjoyed reading about "URGENT: For the Illinois Gun Owners" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!