Feral Hogs in Missouri

PDA

ExtremeGunCare
February 15, 2011, 05:19 PM
Feral Hogs are in Missouri and we can shoot them any time and on sight. Sightings of Feral Hogs are state wide, but mostly concentrated in the lower 20 counties south of I-44.

If any of my fellow Missourians are needing some help slaughtering a few feral hogs, I sure would be interested in tossing some lead with you! I can use the meat to boot!

Good Shooting,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare (http://www.extremeguncare.com)

If you enjoyed reading about "Feral Hogs in Missouri" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
suzukisam
February 15, 2011, 05:21 PM
ME TOO! I'm in Kansas City and I'm dying to hunt some pigs!

ExtremeGunCare
February 15, 2011, 05:25 PM
I am in St. Peters, Missouri which is right next to St. Louis. Hopefully some fellow members of THR can steer us toward some feral hogs.

suzukisam
February 15, 2011, 05:44 PM
I posted a similar topic a few days ago but didn't get anywhere.. we'll see

Kawabuggy
February 15, 2011, 07:01 PM
I'm in Texas and we are the state that supposedly has the highest number of hogs. Well, let me tell you-they are extremely hard to hunt! Here in Texas it's difficult to find places to hunt them as 95% of land in Texas is privately owned. Further, they are EXTREMELY smart. If you think deer hunting is tough-you are going to get some lessons when you start hog hunting. The only way I've ever hunted them here is over corn feeders. Yes, it's a lot of fun when 20-30 come out and start eating corn and you can take your time and pick the one you want.

We do have public land hunting here-no baiting allowed. There is hog sign (tracks & feces) everywhere on public land but your chances of killing them on public land is equivalent to winning the lottery.

I've killed well over 100 in the past few years, but always around feeders. I've shot a couple on public land as well but it averages out to about 1 pig sighting for every 1,000 hours spent on public land.

If you guys ever come to Texas, I hunt a ranch that has an abundance of them. It's $100 per day to hunt. No limit on # of hogs you kill. No trophy fees. Lot's of feeders to hunt. This is the place I have killed the majority of my hogs. I've killed as few as 1 in a hunt, and as many as 6 in a single night.

I like killing hogs. I enjoy blowing them to pieces with my 300 Win. Mag. Nothing like hitting them with a 165 gr. Hornady SST traveling at well over 3000 FPS!

Lately I've been reading a lot about hogs testing positive for Tularemia.. Bad news. I don't know that I will be handling them anymore after shooting them. I would not want to catch a disease by handling the tank-like vermin. If you guys end up shooting some-be sure to wear your latex gloves, and cook the meat really well before you consume it.

Krusty783
February 16, 2011, 10:49 AM
I'm in West St. Louis county. Most of what I've seen about hogs in MO talks about feral hogs around the mark twain forest, which is a couple hour drive south of St. Louis.

Here's a MDC map of the feral hog populations and sightings: http://mdc.mo.gov/landwater-care/animal-management/invasive-animal-management/feral-hogs/distribution

And MDC Feral Hog webpage: http://mdc.mo.gov/landwater-care/animal-management/invasive-animal-management/feral-hogs

I lived in FL for a couple years and hunted feral hogs down there. I agree with Kawa; if you want to hunt hogs you will have much better success if you establish a food source (corn feeder) or hunt an already established food source (apple /oak tree grove, farm field, etc.).

I'm under the impression that hogs don't have an established home range and wander at will to find food and dens. This makes established food sources much more important for hogs than for deer as you need something to anchor the hogs in an area.

Rich223
February 19, 2011, 02:11 PM
I live up by kansas city, and i got a spot down in arkansas im gonna be throwing a hog feeder on pretty quick, and i don't want any of you bafoons takin my bacon! haha.

ExtremeGunCare
February 19, 2011, 05:49 PM
Awww Rich223, where is the love? lol Share some bacon! I will make some smoked pork sausage from it.

I had hunted down in Greenville, MO which was pretty awesome. Saw a lot of signs around the lake but didn't actually see any to shoot. We spent a few days out hunting for them.

I need to find a few farmers who are having problems to go out and pop a few.

Jason

Water-Man
February 19, 2011, 06:23 PM
Over 4,000,000. of them in the USA according to what I've recently read. They can have little piggies at the tender age of six months. Up to thirteen! We've got a problem boys. :uhoh:

T Bran
February 19, 2011, 06:47 PM
On my property in north FL I set 1/8 inch cable snares on the travel paths at night then shoot with my .22 rifle in the morning no need to bait just be sure nobody is running dogs in the area and dont use thin cable just in case you catch something you dont want to injure. PS be sure to check the rules in your state some do not permit the use of snares.

Olympus
February 22, 2011, 12:03 PM
I've been hunting hogs for several years now. I'm originally from southeast Missouri and my family has a lot of row crop ground. No pigs around there, trust me. The hogs are in the woods and hill ground. There are some pretty big populations, but unless you start dedicated bait sites, it's really difficult to hunt them. The hogs are just too nomadic because there are no dedicated food sources. So once they eat all the food out of an area, they move on. It's really just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I've spent a lot of time hunting wallows and areas where they've rooted up the ground, but they never seem to come back to the same places.

We finally gave up trying to hunt them free range. Now we've got a big group and we go to a hog hunting ranch in Edgar Springs, MO and hunt hogs there. Stone Creek Hunting Ranch is the name of the place and it's a great place owned and operated by a great guy. Some of the hardest hunting I've ever done, but a helluva lot of fun. Especially hunting at night!

We wanted to start taking a trip every year to Texas to hunt with an outfitter down there, but by the time you factor in the cost and time to drive to Texas, it's a better deal to hunt with a ranch here in Missouri and not have to use as much vacation time from work. We've been going enough that we've developed a good relationship with everyone at the ranch and they will bend over backwards to let you hunt however you want.

suzukisam
February 22, 2011, 09:32 PM
wow 1500 to hunt pigs? seems kinda high? or did I misread the menu?

Olympus
February 22, 2011, 10:31 PM
We go with the group rates. A group of 8 is enough to reserve the whole ranch and is $550/person. This includes lodging and some amazing meals! If you can get 10 in your group, the price drops to $500.

It's probably not affordable unless you can get a group of 8. But from Missouri, I can't even drive to Texas, pay for a hotel, and pay for meals for $550. The $550 includes guide service, skinning and quartering, and storage in a walk-in cooler. They will drive you around on Rangers, put you in stands, blinds, over feeders, over wallows, over pig pipes, let you hunt at night over bait sites, you name it.

suzukisam
February 22, 2011, 11:31 PM
well that does sound a little more reasonable. I just keep thinking if these little buggers are such a problem, wouldn't someone just be begging for one of us to eradicate them. even in texas where they are slaughtered from choppers, I just can't see paying to hunt them. not trying to be cheap. I would just think the conservation departments could get hunters and farmers hooked up or something.

Olympus
February 22, 2011, 11:50 PM
The thing is that it doesn't take very many to be consider a nuisance or to start destroying crop land. As others have said, the problem is that hogs are too nomadic. They deplete an area of resources and then move on. The only way to keep hogs coming back to an area is to bait it. And I don't know any farmers in Missouri that are willing to keep hogs around. They want them gone, and gone as in moved over to another guy's ground is just as good so long as they're not on their ground.

And there are places in Texas where you can hunt for free, you just have to look around. The problem is the same there too. You may get to hunt for free, but you may spend 2 or 3 days and never see a single hog. You can't hunt them like you would hunt deer.

We pay for the experience really. It's kind of like a hassle-free hunting trip where we don't have worry about setting up camp, cooking our meals, being dirty, etc. It's the same as going on a regular hunting trip except it's more comfortable and we can hunt however we want. And me and my old man get a little extra out of it because we spot and stalk with muzzleloaders. So you get to be face to face with some mean hogs and you only have one shot. It adds to the sport and the excitement factor.

gun addict
February 22, 2011, 11:57 PM
im in for any kind of hunting, didnt get my deer last year , still angry about it

suzukisam
February 23, 2011, 12:26 AM
olympus- please don;t get me wrong I'm jealous. I wanna do that. it sounds great! I just have this pesky mortgage that keeps popping up every month! and I have this EBR disease. so I never have any money. I do appreciate the info though and I'm gonna see about getting down there sometime soon! until then I need a farmer! I kill yotes too!

Olympus
February 23, 2011, 11:32 AM
I completely understand. That's $500 or $550 from the gun fund every year that I don't get to spend on a new gun.

And while I can't say what it's like for the rest of the state, I can tell you for a fact that there are not any farmers in southeast Missouri having hog problems. It's just too flat and not enough woods. I think you would have better luck contacting your nearest conservation dept office and talking with an agent. Find out where the agents and game wardens are seeing the most activity on public ground and set up there. I think you'll have a better chance of getting a hog that way than trying to find some farmer willing to let a total stranger hunt hogs that may or may not even be there.

And if you've never hunted hogs before, do a little reading up. If you think deer have a good nose, hogs will knock your socks off! They are a lot smarter than deer and have a much better nose. Take that into consideration if you're going to be hunting on the ground. If you're going to stand hunt, try to get up in the air as high as you can. I hope you're able to find what you're looking for and shoot one for me!

suzukisam
February 23, 2011, 11:36 PM
thanks chief! I've hunted them, but they are soooooooo elusive!

Olympus
February 28, 2011, 12:28 PM
Sam - I'm headed to Stone Creek next weekend for a hunt. I'll post some pictures when I get back.

suzukisam
March 2, 2011, 07:04 PM
I jealous! good luck to you! shoot an extra one for me!

If you enjoyed reading about "Feral Hogs in Missouri" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!