Nra Does It Again!

PDA

MountainPeak
January 3, 2004, 06:05 PM
They are funding Stephen Halbrook and other attorneys in an attempt to save the NM CCW law. The anti-2nd Amendment folks filed suit to stop it. NM Supreme Court to hear it 1/5/04. Anyone care to chime in that the NRA never does anything?

If you enjoyed reading about "Nra Does It Again!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike Irwin
January 3, 2004, 09:49 PM
Ding...

NRA never does anything blah blah blah...

Ding...

Your thread just looked so lonely... :)

7.62FullMetalJacket
January 3, 2004, 10:57 PM
Bump

I have no problems with the NRA :)

Daedalus
January 3, 2004, 11:01 PM
Good for the NRA. When I renew my membership next I will be sure to tell them why.

Kharn
January 3, 2004, 11:02 PM
But I thought the NRA only looked out for duck hunters. :o

:rolleyes:

Kharn

Jim March
January 4, 2004, 12:32 AM
I remember reading that this second challenge by the NM grabbers was incredibly stupid and highly unlikely to go anywhere...but I can't recall details.

Anybody got links?

jimpeel
January 4, 2004, 01:35 AM
It depends on what the NRA decides to "compromise" away this time.

The first act by me upon taking over management of this motel was to place NRA members on the discount list along with AAA, AARP, Military, and CDLs.

I'm a member in good standing but I have my beefs with their incessant giveaways and then telling us what a good job they did for us by keeping the parts they didn't give away.

I have a great deal of problems with Project Exile which they originally funded with a $250,000 grant to the Virginia government. It wasn't long before the predictions of those opposed to the program were confirmed.

They finally, though reluctantly, joined in the Silviera case but not before the likes of Chuck Michel, et al had done their damage. CalNRA just sucks out loud. I know, I'm originally from CA.

The NRA does a lot of good and I support most of the programs, but when they screw up, they REALLY screw up. They give top ratings to politicians that we all know are not pro-RKBA. They backed Dole when Dole was the one who got us the Brady Act with the full cooperation of the NRA. Read here (http://www.rmgo.org/brady.html)

So, yes, I have my problems with the NRA and their choosing their fights a bit too carefully, their compromising, and their disingenuousness at giving "A" ratings to the likes of Ken Arnold just because he has an "R" after his name.

The NRA has its critics; and deservedly so.

QuickDraw
January 4, 2004, 02:22 AM
The NRA doesn't do anything (in California).
Thats why I give my money to CRPA.

QuickDraw

Publicola
January 4, 2004, 03:17 AM
I don't think the problem is the NRA does not do anything. It's what they do that I have a beef with.

For example, they're about to sink cash into defending NM's CCW law, right? Well, it'd have been much better if instead of sinking cash into getting a CCW law passed & then defending it in court they'd have sunk the cash into forcing NM to respect the people of NM's Right to Arms.

In other words, their fighting to keep a law on the books that requires you to beg for permission & pay a fee to exercise a Right? That's not gonna help their image in my eyes. What they're doing is merely dickering over the kind of gun control they want. They're not fighting it, they're supporting it.

But I think we'd be better off if the NRA did in fact do nothing, since the majority of what they do supports gun control of one sort or another.

romulus
January 4, 2004, 03:27 AM
Man, who do you hang around with? I hear what Charlie Schumer and folks around me have to say about NRA and that's reason enough for me to join. If enough gun owners joined, "compromise" wouldn't even enter into the fray...however, if weakened by small numbers because gun owners refuse to join for whatever reason, what avenue is left for this marvelous organization BUT compromise?

I'm a member and ashamed I have to be reminded by them to send in my dues every year

Waitone
January 4, 2004, 08:15 AM
In other words, their fighting to keep a law on the books that requires you to beg for permission & pay a fee to exercise a Right? That's not gonna help their image in my eyes. What they're doing is merely dickering over the kind of gun control they want. They're not fighting it, they're supporting it.I hate watching baseball. Know why ???? Because not every batter coming to the plate tries to hit a grand slam. Seems some are quite happy with a double. Others are happy to hit a mere homerun. Some ***gack*** actually bunt the ball.

I've never seen a team win that consistently swung for the fences. I've seen lots of teams win after hitting single after single after single after single. Boring but productive. At the end of the season those are the teams that win.

NorthernExtreme
January 4, 2004, 10:46 AM
I keep membership in the NRA and GOA (compromise and no-compromise) I also contribute to CCRKBA, GOTF (NO longer), SAF, and local groups.

I wonder what the folks in Washington would say if membership in the NRA dropped, but membership in GOA skyrocket. Maybe they would get the hint that we are no longer going to support compromise, and change their compromising ways.

After all, doesn't our willingness to support the NRA give the impression we support compromise.

And if we all drop our NRA membership and join GOA, don't you think the NRA would become more no-compromise (Just like the Antis) in order to regain members.

How else can we let the NRA know they are on the wrong path? They don't seem to be listening to anything I've written to them over the past few years!
:banghead:

WAGCEVP
January 4, 2004, 04:45 PM
the NRA compromises i n Georgia, that's why I give my money to CSG

WAGCEVP
January 4, 2004, 04:46 PM
CCW law? Permission slip from big brother to carry concealed. NRA should be trying for Vermont/Alaska style carry

:banghead:

campergeek
January 4, 2004, 11:34 PM
I am making payments toward my NRA life membership and don't plan to change that. I joined the NRA because of their efforts toward firearms education, not their legislative efforts, and I keep reminding myself of that.

My frustrations with the organization stem not from what they do or don't, but the underhanded ways in which they'll make minimal effort but try to take full credit. For example, in the MO CCW fight there are people who have, at great cost to themselves, been fighting tooth and nail for 12 years. Even with the NRA's involvement in the 1999 vote (which is of debatable merit), these grassroots folks deserve far more credit for where we are today; on the cusp of receiving recognition for CCW rights (even with a permit is better than not at all). Now that the recently passed legislation has gone to the courts, NRA has filed "friend of the court" briefs (while the real grunt work is being done by volunteers and attorneys funded by contributions) and then published reports which made them sound like the rescuing knights, without even mentioning the efforts of other parties.

I still support the NRA with my membership $, although my legislative contributions go to other organizations with a less-compromising stance. The NRA has got to get rid of their haughty attitude and start working alongside other organizations toward the common goal of protecting RKBA.

Sven
January 5, 2004, 01:27 AM
I'm glad that my NRA membership dues are helping someone. I'm also on the "Easy Pay" life membership option.

> The NRA doesn't do anything (in California).

Well, last month they wrapped the American Rifleman with an ad about all their victories in CA. In the fine print, the say that "one" anti-gun law was passed in 2003 here - SB489. I'm sorry, but this is the FIRST I've heard from the NRA on SB489. It passed before they even mentioned it. Meanwhile, CRPA had articles on the legislation for months.

NRA may be too big to be useful, it seems. Does that make sense? Folks like Jim March seem to have a bigger 'bang for the buck', from my perspective.

MountainPeak
January 6, 2004, 05:12 PM
I'm pretty happy today! Yesterday the hearing on the NM CC lawsuit was held. The court threw it out!! CCW in NM proceeds!!!:)

jimpeel
January 6, 2004, 06:22 PM
:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Nra Does It Again!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!