Frangible Ammo for SD

PDA

mbruce
February 16, 2011, 11:35 AM
Anyone use frangible ammo for SD purposes?

Have you ever test fired it to see what it does? I've looked at websites where they fire it thru sheet-rock and etc....

The theory, I guess from my ignorant POV, makes sense -- the energy will disperse into whatever it hits rather than go straight thru it...but i really don't know....

Air Marshalls carry it -- or so I hear....nothing to support that hearsay

If you enjoyed reading about "Frangible Ammo for SD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NG VI
February 16, 2011, 11:44 AM
I'm pretty sure the Air Marshals carry 229s in .357, and load them with whatever the current DHS ammunition is.

I never used frangible stuff, it's way expensive and of dubious performance. Much better served using a conventional hollow point.

NG VI
February 16, 2011, 11:46 AM
Oh yeah... most of them, on hitting building materials and other barriers like that, don't break up at all, they just act like an FMJ bullet. The EXTREAM SHOCKZZZZ are some of the worst about that.

mbruce
February 16, 2011, 11:48 AM
LOL...that's exactly what i was wondering...that or HP...well HP it is. i'll get the 147gr like you had mentioned in the other threads.

thanks for your input!

Sniper X
February 16, 2011, 12:42 PM
I got a bunch of it free at the SPOTC tournament last year in both .45acp and .223 since that is all they use for the tourney on steel. I still have a bunch. It shoots pretty well and for a week or so I did carry a 1911 with a full mag of it till I though about it. I went back to JHPs and feel a lot safer to be honest. One thing I thought about was it over penetrating on walls in a house. And of course maybe (oddly enough) not penetrating well enough on a possibly intruder.

meytind
February 16, 2011, 01:34 PM
Air marshals do not carry frangible ammo. They carry standard hollow points.

greyeyezz
February 16, 2011, 01:36 PM
The compressed metal powder variety act just like FMJ unless hitting very hard steel.

Snowdog
February 16, 2011, 01:42 PM
Before I settled on Gold Dot +P SB for my snub revolvers, I did toy around with Glaser Safety Slugs (silver) and Mag Safe (Defender) but decided not to go that route.
They're interesting for sure, but I'd just drill to the vitals with a single projectile.

If you enjoyed reading about "Frangible Ammo for SD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!