College Shooting Teams/Clubs

PDA

XxWINxX94
February 16, 2011, 07:34 PM
Mods if this is in the wrong place, I apologize.

I read up about how certain colleges have shooting teams/clubs for target shooting, clays/sporting, etc. and it got me thinking a little bit.

If I were going to college and wanted to join a shooting club, how could I if I can't legally bring my guns to the college/on campus. As far as I know, I thought guns on a college or any school campus is illegal?

Not sure if I'm missing something here, but how does one join a school shooting club away from home, not legally being able to possess a firearm on a school campus?

If you enjoyed reading about "College Shooting Teams/Clubs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
smalls
February 17, 2011, 12:15 AM
I think most (if not all) schools like this allow you to leave firearms with the campus police. You can retrieve it from them when you're leaving campus/ going shooting. This is what I've read about the situation, I could be wrong

Tim the student
February 17, 2011, 12:10 PM
Not sure if I'm missing something here, but how does one join a school shooting club away from home, not legally being able to possess a firearm on a school campus?

Well, basically I wouldn't bring it on campus. I'd find other suitable storage for it, which may include bringing it to the campus PD if it were suitable to me. More likely than not, I'd leave it at a buddy's off campus house.

XxWINxX94
February 17, 2011, 07:29 PM
Well, basically I wouldn't bring it on campus. I'd find other suitable storage for it, which may include bringing it to the campus PD if it were suitable to me. More likely than not, I'd leave it at a buddy's off campus house.

Ok, that sounds reasonable. Doesn't it seem kind of weird that a school hosts a shooting club, yet bans firearms on campus used in that same club?

Tim the student
February 17, 2011, 07:32 PM
Maybe they are allowed to be stored with the campus PD. Do you know one way or another?

XxWINxX94
February 17, 2011, 08:09 PM
Yes, campus PD is a good idea, and I will continue to look into storage of firearms at college, and post anything I find.

Thanks for the responses, keep them coming!

hermannr
February 17, 2011, 08:21 PM
No, it is not illegal to possess a firearm on a college campus. At least not a federal law.

The U of Idaho has a "no guns on campus" policy, but does provide a lockup. One of their Law students is suing for the right to carry on campus (He has a concealed carry permit), right now. Was on the local news the other evening.

There is one campus here in the NW that has no policy, if you have a permit, bring it on. If you don't have a permit, you have to carry open, but carry you can. (sorry I forgot which campus it was) (that was alos part of the same news clip.

Tim the student
February 17, 2011, 08:41 PM
I don't think the guy in Idaho is suing to carry, but to possess in his residence on campus.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=569668

http://www.uiguncase.com/

There are generally a couple of ways to store firearms legally while you are at school. I don't really understand the stress about it.

hermannr
February 17, 2011, 08:56 PM
You could be right, just saw it on the news, they did mention the law student had a permit to carry on that news report.

xcgates
February 17, 2011, 10:29 PM
Soon after I went to school, the school changed policy so that we couldn't even keep them with camping safely (as our campus safety was fondly known as), so I kept them off campus in a storage locker. Not sure it was strictly allowed, but I wasn't visible from the street, and they went in the back of my car under a blanket, at least when I wasn't using my motorcycle.:D

XxWINxX94
February 18, 2011, 08:25 AM
No, it is not illegal to possess a firearm on a college campus. At least not a federal law

Yup, sorry I wasn't more clear. Its not a federal law, its a college policy of "no guns on campus."

quatin
February 18, 2011, 09:52 AM
Mods if this is in the wrong place, I apologize.

I read up about how certain colleges have shooting teams/clubs for target shooting, clays/sporting, etc. and it got me thinking a little bit.

If I were going to college and wanted to join a shooting club, how could I if I can't legally bring my guns to the college/on campus. As far as I know, I thought guns on a college or any school campus is illegal?

Most of these clubs shoot off campus to avoid addressing the issue.

Colleges with a range on campus usually have their own firearms and won't allow you to bring your own to the range.

Sam1911
February 18, 2011, 10:45 AM
Colleges with a range on campus usually have their own firearms and won't allow you to bring your own to the range.

This doesn't jibe at all with my experiences as Captain of my own University's Rifle Team a few years ago.

The University had a policy of no firearms on campus, but we were allowed to store our own competition rifles in the secured area of the campus range. Any teams of competitors coming to matches were allowed to bring their firearms to our range (of course!) and we could come and go to and from the range with our weapons as we pleased.

We shot 3-position rifle all over the northeast and I've brought van-loads of rifles onto campuses in NY, MA (Boston, no less!), the Naval Academy in MD, all over PA, etc., with never a question or problem. Just SOP for the collegiate rifle team.

So, I'd say the best answer would be to contact the faculty administrator in charge of whatever shooting program(s) you are interested in and simply ask how to proceed.

Now, if you wanted to shoot other kinds of competitions outside of what your college is hosting directly, call the campus security department and ask how to legally store your arms. Many colleges do have secure storage for students' personal weapons (mine had quite a varied and interesting inventory in storage at all times!), and they can be checked in and out without too much hassle. While it may seem a bit intrusive to have to store your arms with "the man" ;) there are benefits to not having to trust your roommate(s), and all those whom he(they) allow into your private space, not to fool with or depart with your guns. :fire:

And, of course, once you relocate to off-campus housing, as most students eventually do, then you simply have to know and follow the state and local laws for your area.

pikid89
February 18, 2011, 11:00 AM
in some places it is state law against carrying on campus, ex...University of Florida is considered State property....all university vehicles have Florida Gov plates

Soupy44
February 18, 2011, 03:31 PM
Ditto what Sam said. If the university or the athletics department sponsors an NCAA or club team, respectively, there is likely an agreement already setup as to how the guns are to be handled, transported, and used.

My experience is like Sam's, I competed on an NCAA team sponsored by the athletics department. We had access to the building housing our range and the combos to the safes. This is pretty typical of NCAA sponsored teams.

Club teams vary widely. Michigan State just built the beautiful Demmer Center. As I understand it, there are lockers at the Demmer center where students may store their guns. Other club teams meet at public or private ranges located off campus and the guns may be stored there or may be stored at a "sponsor's" house or place of business.

Outside of shooting, you can request to bring a gun on campus for educational purposes. I have a friend locally who does Revolutionary War reenactments. He regularly is able to bring his era firearms into schools WITH SOME PRIOR COMMUNICATIONS.

Are you interested in a shooting in college? If so, what discipline?

Rancho Relaxo
February 18, 2011, 03:46 PM
At the U of MT, a few of the dorms had a place behind the front desk where firearms could be stored. You were supposed to have a password and show ID, but most of the time I had to coach the RA behind the desk on the procedure for checking in and out firearms.

Rancho Relaxo
February 18, 2011, 03:48 PM
Oh, and the other policy was that you could keep guns locked in your truck, so if you were going to leave early to go hunting you wouldn't have to worry that nobody would be at the front desk to check your shotgun out. My trunk popped open once and campus police contacted me because I had an open gun case in the back and they thought somebody might have taken my rifle.

XxWINxX94
February 19, 2011, 01:20 PM
Sam1911,
Thanks! Thats the info I was looking for. It seems that you just have to store firearms with the college PD, or store them off-campus some place.

I looked into that Idaho case, and it will be interesting to see how that comes out.

Soupy44,
Yes, I probably will be interested in shooting in college. Not sure if a competition is for me, but I would like the ability to maybe shoot some clays or targets while at college. I would still have to look into the whole competition thing.

And thanks to everyone else who has chimed in, I'm learning a lot!

xcgates
February 19, 2011, 01:47 PM
It sure would have been nice to get people together on the weekend and break some clays in the back area of our school (there was a lot of unused land that our school owned right next to the campus).

Never underestimate the awesomeness of a friendly competition. Especially if it hadn't taken 40 minutes to get to the range.

KAK
February 19, 2011, 02:42 PM
Dont leave it with the PD, its a PITA. I would get an apartment walking distance from campus but not owned by the institution like the dorms.

smalls
February 19, 2011, 04:43 PM
Although not federal law, Michigan law specifically states that campus is a pistol free zone if I remember correctly

2WheelsGood
February 19, 2011, 04:45 PM
Although not federal law, Michigan law specifically states that campus is a pistol free zone if I remember correctly
You are correct, though there are bills in action right now to repeal that... hopefully.

Water-Man
February 19, 2011, 05:32 PM
North Georgia College & State University (NGGCSU) is looking for some good, young shooters.

sargas23
February 22, 2011, 09:08 AM
I used to shoot with the rifle team at Texas A&M. We had our own range on campus in the basement of the military science building with an attached secured armory. We kept our team rifles and personal rifles there, and locked the bolts up in a separate secured locker. Never had a problem with that since the ROTC and military made certain that all was secure. If your university has an ROTC, you might want to check with them and see if they can provide something similar.

I believe TCU has a similar set-up for their rifle team, but it is under the control of their coach, not the ROTC. I think each school may have different security regarding team equipment, but if there is an official team, usually they have made provisions for the storing of firearms someplace. You'll need to check with their coaching staff BEFORE showing up with your guns.

Thlax
February 25, 2011, 11:38 PM
Im in college at Univ of Delaware.

If your in student housing the public saftey police will store your firearm and ammo for free. Sign out between business hours 8am-4pm whenever you want. Return is anytime 24/7. There is one man who controls all the weapons. He knows everyone who has a firearm there. You have to sign it in and out. You can only sign out when he is there(thats why its from 8-4) but can return it to any officer there 24/7. Great system. Did it for a couple months until I was in my own non-school apartment.

If your off campus like i am now, well you can do what ever you want:)

If you enjoyed reading about "College Shooting Teams/Clubs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!