redding press

PDA

charlie-6
February 17, 2011, 03:42 PM
Just order a redding big boss ll my old rcbs has some slop in it, i know i could have sent it back to rcbs did not want to bother with it after 27 yrs. of useing it guess i got my mony worth. anyway do some of you use the redding press let me hear the good-bad of it.
thanks for your time.
old press was a special-5 press, serve me well

If you enjoyed reading about "redding press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cheygriz
February 17, 2011, 03:53 PM
Congratulations. IMHO, you just bought one of the two best single stage presses aver made. (The Forster being the other)

Wipe it down and throw a little oil at it every now and then and your great grandchildren will still be using it! :):):):)

cfullgraf
February 17, 2011, 05:41 PM
I use the Redding Boss press, the smaller brother to the Big Boss. Great press. Have had it for over 10 years.

The spent primer catch system, at least on the Boss, could be better. But, in some respects, it is no worse than on my old RCBS press. But with the RCBS press, I can position my hand to deflect primers spit to the front of the press. On the Redding, the spent primers are dropped to the back side of the ram.

I think some simple modifications to the catch can could eliminate many of the errant primers, but I elected to do most of my de-priming on the RCBS. Mostly just to keep the spent primer residue from gunking up the Redding. Also, I frequently deprime the cases before cleaning them a little before resizing them.

Enjoy your new press.

redactor
February 17, 2011, 06:01 PM
I have the Redding T7. It is built like a tank. You'll love your new press.

Sunray
February 17, 2011, 06:35 PM
Been using a Redding press for 30 some years. Never had to do anything to it. Redding's warrantee is 'life time' but they don't cover absolutely everything like RCBS does. RCBS will just fix or replace your press, if it actually is worn, likely for free.

9X23WIN
February 17, 2011, 06:39 PM
Let us know how your new Redding press turns out. I'm also thinking of getting one too.

rsrocket1
February 17, 2011, 07:59 PM
Send the RCBS to get it tuned up anyway. Then you'll have a second press for other things or a back up.

lightman
February 17, 2011, 09:51 PM
You'll get good service with your new press,but its probably no better or worse than your RCBS was when it was new.The Rock Chucker was the "gold standard" for a lot of years,and you may notice that your Redding and most others are built just like the Rock Chucker.If yours was not a Rock Chucker,you probably did get more press than you had.You made a good choice,either way. Lightman

918v
February 18, 2011, 02:18 AM
I have the Big Boss II. I like the angled position of the frame opening. It is more ergonomic. I also like the straight handle travel. It is a very very well executed product.

If you enjoyed reading about "redding press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!