Question regarding NC gun laws and mental status.

PDA

jmoss41
February 17, 2011, 09:07 PM
I just received a denial letter of my CWL. I was denied because i was in a mental hospital at the age of 12 or 13 for about 3 weeks. I am now 21. I am serving on active duty in the army national guard. I just don't understand why i was denied because of that so long ago. They said I could file a petition of a district court judge but i don't know how? Can anyone provide any information on this.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question regarding NC gun laws and mental status." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WNC Seabee
February 18, 2011, 04:05 PM
2 things....
1st, hop on over to carolinashootersforum.com and repost your question. It's a great Carolina's board with an active group that is happy to help.

2nd, you're only recourse here in NC is to go the appeal route via a district judge. I've heard of this happening in several cases with positive outcomes (and at least one with a not so positive outcome).

Your military service may or may not be seen as a "positive" for this situation depending on your county or sheriff, so I would encourage you to get some local input before making your appeal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question regarding NC gun laws and mental status." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!