So... You think Glocks are accurate?

PDA

RidgwayCO
February 18, 2011, 02:22 PM
Nope... but mine seems to be!

I finally got my Insight M6 rail-mounted combo light dialed in for my Glock 17. It's easy to install, and comforting to have the relatively bright flashlight as well as the laser.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/557/insightm6combolightlase.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/557/insightm6combolightlase.jpg

But how does it shoot? This (for me) is unreal...

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1715/glock17124grfmjenctarge.jpg

Shot standing at 7 yards, with a two-hand hold, at my local indoor range. The grouping was made shooting 15 rounds of one of my favorite handloads, consisting of Hornady 124gr FMJ-Encapsulated bullets over 6.3gr of VV 3N37 in Fiocchi cases, ignited by CCI 500 SP primers, and loaded to a COL of 1.160". I haven't had a chance to chrono this load out of the Glock yet, but I'm assuming around 1175 fps for now. My Beretta 92FS shoots it at 1155 fps, but the Glock seems to be a little faster with everything.

This kind of performance is why I've got a S&W M&P and a Beretta 92FS going up for sale soon... YMMV.

If you enjoyed reading about "So... You think Glocks are accurate?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NMGonzo
February 18, 2011, 02:24 PM
I was shooting 100 yards to my 8 inch plate (supported) with my glock 35

Try that sometimes, the gun can do it.

Can you?

I did hit it once in 3 or 4

D Rock
February 18, 2011, 04:13 PM
Good steady hand!

I was going to post one of my targets but I seem to have misplaced it. :)

Dave

NELSONs02
February 18, 2011, 04:34 PM
Most pistols are that accurate. Looks like you can manhandle that 17 though.

6 rounds @ 10 yards. 44 mag 240gr hard-cast over Unique.

There's always that one flyer :banghead:

ColtPythonElite
February 18, 2011, 04:52 PM
I'd guess nearly any Glock model would shoot 7 yards like that in the hands of a good shooter.

harmon rabb
February 18, 2011, 05:22 PM
i think just about any gun in good condition would shoot like that at 7yds if the shooter was up to it. you're clearly a damn good shot.

sideways
February 18, 2011, 05:26 PM
:cool:The only way to consistently hit a pie plate at a hundred yards with a Glock or any other 5" barrel is with optics or on accident sounds like fish story to me.

9mmepiphany
February 18, 2011, 05:58 PM
sounds like fish story to me.
It's not...just believing it can be done and being able to manage the trigger well enough when your shot breaks.

I didn't used to believe you could split a playing card edgewise from 5-7 yards either...until we had a whole class do it

NMGonzo
February 18, 2011, 06:25 PM
6 inch barrel

and I can see that far ... still

ColtPythonElite
February 18, 2011, 06:28 PM
I've seen a lot of pie plates hit at 100 yards with open sighted 6" revolvers shot off a rest.

ColtPythonElite
February 18, 2011, 06:30 PM
double post...

NMGonzo
February 18, 2011, 07:30 PM
Good steady hand!

I was going to post one of my targets but I seem to have misplaced it. :)

Dave

Hand resting on the hood of the car.

8 inch plate 80 yards I hit with the p2000sk 9mm and the bersa .380

There is a user here that was there to see it, and he also made the same shot.

A very faint "ping!" but we heard it.

sideways
February 18, 2011, 08:42 PM
Well guys I guess I'm hardheaded and I will concede that givin enough shots fired you will hit whatever your calling your target but I used the word consistently . This just seems to be more a matter of luck to me . But in the same breath I guess we've all seen that fellow that shoots aspirin with a bow and arrow so I'm sure that there are a few people with that kinda eyesight and instinct that can do it so kudos to you and excuse me.:D

NMGonzo
February 18, 2011, 08:46 PM
3 out 5 at least

that is pretty consistent

Again ... I have a witness that I have made that shot even with 3 inch barreled guns.

Not that hard.

Sideways ... what was the last time you had any time to go out (not a range) and have all the time in the world to make your shot and hear the ping and see the ricochet?

Because that is what it takes.

I have also shot a similar target at 225 yards with a 4 inch gp100 ... took me five shots to hit it but i did.

Maybe 3 or 4 people at the range that day.

9mmepiphany
February 18, 2011, 11:09 PM
but I used the word consistently . This just seems to be more a matter of luck to me

I gather you're not familiar with Handgun Metallic Silhouette...and I'm not talking about the fancy single shot guns. I'm referring to the Production Division

k4swb
February 19, 2011, 12:49 AM
The only way to consistently hit a pie plate at a hundred yards with a Glock or any other 5" barrel is with optics or on accident sounds like fish story to me.
Nonsense.:rolleyes: I can hit a 6" gong at 100 yards 100% of the time with my Ruger MKII 22lr. I can do the same with my 6" Dan Wesson .44 magnum revolver. Well I could when I was shooting every day.:uhoh: Probably be 95% now that I don't shoot as often.:neener: I've never tried it but I expect with a little practice I could come close to 80% hits with my Glock G30.:eek:

I am totally embarrassed setting up and shooting at less than 25 yards, but it looks like that is what todays shooters want to do.
20 feet! Good grief.:banghead:

HollowPoint
February 19, 2011, 01:10 AM
Wow. I am very impressed OP. I need to get to the range and work on my aim. I thought my three inch groupings were good enough.

sideways
February 19, 2011, 08:31 AM
Sorry to jack your post OP. Nice shooting In my opinion.

Sapper771
February 19, 2011, 09:53 AM
My stock G17 can print 2"-3" groups at 25 yards from a sand bag rest. Not quite match grade, but better than most expect from them.

My G34 has printed a 1.5" group from a 25 yard bench with handloaded Hornady 124gr XTP bullets.

It can be done, reloading helps.

Ky Larry
February 19, 2011, 10:55 AM
This supports the old addage that most guns are far more accurate than most shooters. This is especially true in my case. Nice shooting.

RidgwayCO
February 19, 2011, 11:35 AM
You guys are way too kind. I really believe the laser made it possible for these old eyes to see the aiming point so well. I honestly don't shoot this well with iron sights.

Plus, I pushed the last shot...

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1715/glock17124grfmjenctarge.jpg

ColtPythonElite
February 19, 2011, 11:59 AM
The laser might have got you on the point of aim, but good trigger control put the bullet where you were looking....Nice shooting in my book.

bruzer
February 19, 2011, 12:24 PM
That's some fancy shooting! I don't think you pulled the last round. You just shot out your aiming point and needed another spot for your laser to work!
Mike

k4swb
February 19, 2011, 02:56 PM
You guys are way too kind. I really believe the laser made it possible for these old eyes to see the aiming point so well. I honestly don't shoot this well with iron sights.

Plus, I pushed the last shot...
Nope, that is good shooting. Don't think you cheated by using a laser. Use whatever it takes to get the job done. YOU still had to pull the trigger correctly.:uhoh:

Old Scratch
February 19, 2011, 04:16 PM
I think your load is a great choice. I use 3N37 with 124 and 147 gr Gold Dots and Remington HPs. Every combination has proven extremely accurate. If you are interested, you can definitely go with heavier charges than you're using...my experience is that the groups just continue to shrink. Just make sure your OAL is kept out to 1.142, which is not a problem with Glock mags and factory barrels. Graduate carefully and you can get 1300fps+ with 124s and 1120fps+ with the 147s. While they have less kinetic energy, the 147s still open up well and penetrate much deeper.

Keep up the good work!

RidgwayCO
February 19, 2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks Old Scratch, I might just take your advice. Gotta love that 3N37 though. I've been using it to duplicate the performance of the Speer 124gr GDHP factory ammo (not +P). Sounds like your load will duplicate (or exceed) the +P stuff.

Zoogster
February 20, 2011, 12:02 AM
21 feet? Yeah any Glock will do that if the shooter does their part.
Most modern quality guns will.
I have seen some pocket pistols that shoot several inches to one side at that distance, but no modern service pistol should.

20-25 yards is where accuracy of the pistol and not just the shooter becomes more noticeable.
Shooting at that range by hand though with stock sights is about the limitations of determining accuracy. Long shots will have so much of the target covered with stock sights that you won't be able to tell how many inches are off due to the firearm or not being aligned on target.

A big limitation on the Glocks for accuracy is the rugged sights, which are great for a fighting weapon but so large that they are not great for pinpoint long range shots.
The front side is so wide it will block most of a target at long range, and the rear sight is equally wide.

The big sights make lining up the sights at closer ranges intuitive and quick. Which is the range the gun is meant to be used.
Long range ones would be less robust and take longer to line up.

However the 10mm base models (Glocks are either 10mm or 9mm frames adapted to other cartridges) are know for accuracy whether chambered in 10mmAuto or .45ACP.
This includes the Glock 20, 21, 29, 30.
(I don't know if the SF versions are as accurate at such ranges.)
100 yard shots are entirely possible if the shooter adjusts for drop.
Man size targets can be plinked at with stock sights, but some type of more precise aftermarket sight would be needed to actually make use of the gun for hunting at such ranges.
The 9mm models are not as accurate, but considering almost all use will be within 25 yards they don't need to be.

A quick youtube search brings up these, a guy consistently hitting targets at what is claimed and appears to be around 100 yards with a 9mm Glock. Good video because you get audible hits on metal targets:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds1BJMsasQI

Glock 20, 10mm 352 yards offhand almost stock Glock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKFSN8Z9RnI

This coincides with my experience with a 10mm Glock. There is many better shooters than me at long range, but I have put one in a cushioned vice before at a couple hundred yards and found it accurate with what could pass for groups.

Glock 19 100 yards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPhJuVXNMQ8

Subcompact Glock 26 100 yards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Zc4xdbK4c

The list goes on, just look for 'Glock 100 Yards'. Some of them are clearly at or around 100 yards.
The guns are more accurate than most shooters, and certainly more accurate than what even most good shooters could achieve their their stock sights.

NELSONs02
February 20, 2011, 07:11 PM
When you can get that kind of accuracy with a magnum revolver using hot loads, then you know you've come full circle. Master the flinch, it's the name of the game.

atonguis
March 24, 2011, 03:55 AM
I used to shoot a stock Ruger Superblack Hawk with 10 1/2 barrel 44mag at Metallic silhouette shooting longest shots are 200 yards. I watched this man shoot a perfect 40 with S/W 357 mag stock with 6" barrel at the next match he shot a perfect 40 again and this time smith and wesson was there and presented him with a custom made 357 mag and then handed him the mold and said it was truly one of a kind. I was so happy for him.

GLOOB
March 24, 2011, 04:16 AM
I am learning that ammo can, indeed, make a huge difference. I have to give my G27 more credit than I previously thought. The other day I was shooting at a 2 liter bottle at about 100 feet away. An easy feat for most of my other handguns, but no way my G27 could do it. I hit it 6 times in a row. Puzzled, I brought out my old handloads and tried again. All I could do was kick up dirt in a 10 foot circle. :)

klash545
March 24, 2011, 05:14 AM
glocks are very accurate,most quality combat pistols are.....it's the shooter that can't hit anything

gym
March 24, 2011, 03:25 PM
True Klash, just go to hickock 45's videos if you want to see a man in his 60's shoot sub compacy glocks rapid fire at 80 to 230 yards. The gun is far better thab the shooter will ever be. Unless you are that 1% who can shoot expert. A hundred yards is not at all unusual with a pistol.

xr1200
March 24, 2011, 04:45 PM
Take it out to 25 yrds and then show use the groups, most pistols even cheap pocket guns will shoot a clustered group at 3-7 yrds.

25 yrds is the gold standard accuracy test for service or bulls eye pistol and 50 yrds. if you machine rest it.

GLOOB
March 25, 2011, 07:03 AM
That's a great gold standard.... if you plan on shooting your gun from a machine rest.

Glocks don't shoot well in a machine rest. The plastic is too squishy. When there's actual aiming involved, they don't do so badly.

But I agree, 7 yards doesn't show you anything. First time I shot an LCP at 7 yards, I put 5 of 6 shots in a 1 inch group. At 20 yards, I can't hit a paper plate.

RidgwayCO
March 25, 2011, 11:40 AM
I practice a lot at 7 yards and closer because that's my limit for "self defense". It's hard to explain to a jury why you had to shoot the mugger standing 25 yards away...

But sure, I shoot at longer distances as well. Our outdoor range has metal gong targets at 50 and 100 yards (also at 150, 200, 300, and 500). It's fun and educational to hit them with a handgun, standing and unsupported. But for my self-defense practice, I'll stay with 7 yards, thank you very much.

sarduy
March 25, 2011, 01:12 PM
OP that's good shooting, and nice looking gun/laser combo too ;)

here's my target from 2 years ago, with a new g17

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=439295

If you enjoyed reading about "So... You think Glocks are accurate?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!