If you owned Colt

PDA

Boats
January 25, 2003, 12:53 AM
What would you do with it? (Thanks to nightcrawler for the idea).

If you enjoyed reading about "If you owned Colt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nightcrawler
January 25, 2003, 12:54 AM
Ooh, that's easy.

Bring back the 1917 revolver in .45ACP, as well as the New Service in .45 Colt.

.41 Magnum Python or Anaconda too.

MitchSchaft
January 25, 2003, 01:04 AM
Give everybody a free gun!

Wildalaska
January 25, 2003, 01:23 AM
Reduce the price of Single Action Armys to $299, and keep the comapny and all it produces for myself...

WilddelusionsofgrandeurAlaska

556A2
January 25, 2003, 01:28 AM
Lower prices on Pythons and bring back their double-action revolvers on full production.

cratz2
January 25, 2003, 01:31 AM
Gold Cup Commander in 45 ACP and 38 Super with integrated Novak-style rear sights and dovetailed front sight, no MIM anywhere, wide Gold Cup style solid trigger, checkered slide stop, wide single-sided safety, slim beavertail grip safety, serrations only on the rear of the slide available in blue or hard chrome. I'd buy the first one of each caliber!

Standard 38 Super Combat Commanders. Limited runs of 9x23 in the full size guns with features similar to the Springfield Armory Loaded series minus the ambi safety.

The Python would definately come back as a standard revolver (not from the Custom Shop) but would retain it's higher than market standard price. It would keep its very smooth action and trigger.

Schuey2002
January 25, 2003, 03:59 AM
Give everybody a free gun!
I'll take a pre-ban AR-15..:D

Alan Fud
January 25, 2003, 05:33 AM
Bring back the Magnum Carry and the Pocket Nine after fixing the flaws that it had (owners who bought it, either loved it or hated it).

WonderNine
January 25, 2003, 06:27 AM
Introduce a 1911A1 "pre 70 series" (WWII replica) pistol without a grip safety the way it was originally intended to be.

Kahr carrier
January 25, 2003, 07:01 AM
Shoot it.:neener:

AR-10
January 25, 2003, 07:05 AM
Lots of free guns for me.

RikWriter
January 25, 2003, 09:53 AM
Bring back the ribbed slide on the Government Model 1911s.
Find a way to make the stainless Python affordable and market it well.
Design an alloy frame 5 shot 38 to compete with Smith.

Boats
January 25, 2003, 10:29 AM
I think I would begin with an ad blitz that we were still alive, Get a really big SHOT booth. Relaunch the web page and get going from there.

MitchSchaft
January 25, 2003, 12:16 PM
I'll take a pre-ban AR-15..

At your service! :evil:

New_comer
January 25, 2003, 12:20 PM
i don't believe I've seen a hi-cap colt just yet...

I'd order the gunsmiths to start making one :D

10-Ring
January 25, 2003, 01:08 PM
Expand product line, up production, improve quality & get entire line up approved for CA!

mack
January 25, 2003, 01:13 PM
Drop the prices on Peacemakers

Compete with Kimber on quality 1911's

jsalcedo
January 25, 2003, 03:26 PM
I would fix the SAA first of all. I was handling a new one last year
and the Uberti was smoother and locked up better.

Then I would mass produce the SAA in old calibers and old finishes.

Kaylee
January 25, 2003, 08:10 PM
pretty much what they are doing, I guess.

Bring back the classic Pony guns... the SAA and WWII to series 70 1911, get both as cost effective while retaining good QC.

From there, a nice modern 1911 line.

Also ditch the funky AR oddities and go back to as mil-spec as legal.

After that base is down and running well... THEN design or buy the next Big Thing. Something with the beauty and elegence of the SAA and 1911, but fit for the 2000's.

Something with the artsy soul of a 1911, but the utility and simple duarability of the Glock.

Another classic for another century.
EVERY century deserves a My Little Pony all its own. :p

-K

Standing Wolf
January 25, 2003, 08:40 PM
This is the second evening this site has been exceedingly slow! I wish people would quit pouring molasses into the server!

If I suddenly became the lord high poobah of Colt, I don't know whether I'd keep the Python, but I'd certainly go back into the revolver business in a serious way with new designs that could be manufactured at reasonable cost and quality control standards Smith & Wesson and Ruger would have to scramble to match.

I'd have to take a look at the competition's model 1911s and see whether I could produce better firearms at lower prices. If I could, I'd do it; if I couldn't, I'd drop the model and design the world's best semi-automatic pistols from the ground up, and manufacture them, again, to impossibly high standards.

My understanding is that Colt is trying to stay in business after having been effectively looted by its former management team: no cash left, and only old, decrepit equipment. I've seen companies come back from the depths of despair; I've also seen them crash, burn, and die.

I wouldn't actually care for the job—but I hope it's being done well.

chaim
January 25, 2003, 08:59 PM
Standing Wolf, this article here may have something to do with slow speeds this weekend: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&ncid=514&e=5&u=/ap/20030125/ap_on_hi_te/internet_attack_9

Anyway, if I owned Colt:

-I'd revamp the 1911 line and advertise the heck out of it. Colt has been making 1911s much longer than anyone (duh) so there is no reason why Kimber and SA should be more innovative and sell better.

-I'd start making the revolvers again.

A modern Colt Police Positive Special should do well in today's CCW environment. A 4" six shot revolver that masquerades as a medium frame revolver yet the weight and size of the frame isn't really any bigger than the S&W J-frames- you have medium frame revolver sight radius and small frame revolver weight and much of its concealability.

By the same token the various Colt snubs, 2" six shot small frame revolvers that are barely bigger than a J-frame should find a market just fine, especially in a lightweight material.

I also see no reason not to bring back some of the other larger framed classics (like the Trooper) while developing new revolver designs. Taurus, S&W and Ruger have proven pretty well that there is certainly still a market out there for well made revolvers.

-I think Colt made a big mistake when they cancelled the contract with CZ. The CZ 40B was originally going to be a Colt (in fact the first 2000 or so guns were actually stamped as Colts). Colt needs to bring out a modern design fast. A similar contract or collaboration would be the fastest and cheapest way to do it.

Kaylee
January 25, 2003, 09:02 PM
hrmm.... wow. Now that I think about it, if Colt's biggest problem now is antiquated equipment, the answer's obvious... outsourcing.

What I would LOVE to see is a partnership between Colt and US Firearms. Imagine a USFA Rodeo, add $100 or so to put it in the 500-600 range, and put that dif into a licensing agreement, a faux color-casehardened original looking finish, and a Pony on the side. They'd be raking it in hand over fist from the CAS shooters.

Do we have a drooling smiley? :p

As to the 1911... they might be able to do the same thing there, outsourcing a 1991 type model through Kimber or someone else with a more up to date factory.

Gee.... how does one apply to be Colt CEO? :)

-K

cheygriz
January 25, 2003, 10:21 PM
I'd bring back the "Colt Lightning" pump action rifles for the cowboy Action Shooters. I'd also offer the lightning in .454 Casull and 475 Linebauigh for woods hunters.

I'd redesign the 1911 to make it a double action and offer it in 10MM , .460 rowland and most other calibers.

And I'd bring back the finest revolver ever made, the Colt Python, but with updated lockwork, and available in a larger frame as well as the regular so that it could handle .44 Mag and .45 Colt

seeker_two
January 25, 2003, 10:33 PM
Bring back the Magnum Carry in 2" & 4" bbl.
Bring back the Anaconda in .44Mag, .45LC, & .454.
Bring back the Python in .357Mag, 10mm, .41Mag, & .45ACP.
Make a low-price SAA clone (NOT the Cowboy).
Make all the 1991's as good as the one I own now :D

geegee
January 25, 2003, 10:34 PM
Step #1: Relocate the company to Texas.
Step #2: Hire away the head of marketing for Kimber.
Step #3: Install a new "1-800" line, assemble all the employees together and tell them "Anyone who calls in on that line is either a customer, or a potential customer. Listen to them and what they want. If you don't want to do that, get your resume together cause you won't be working here anymore."
Step #4: Keep the product line basic and simple for the first two years. Nothing new, just refine what has always been the products Colt was known for. In other words, a huge emphasis on quality control.
geegee

seeker_two
January 25, 2003, 11:26 PM
Ditto on the Texas part!!! :D

sixgun_symphony
January 27, 2003, 02:08 AM
I would improve quality control and borrow money to buy new equipment.

Lower the cost of the SAA down to $500 or so. I would bring back the Colt Bisley too!

Reproduce the Colt Lightnings in .44WCF, .38WCF, and .32WCF chamberings.

Create a new division for making quality reproductions of the percussion revolvers and muskets.

Bring back the Detective Special and Colt Cobra in .38 Special.

I would produce a new large frame .41 Magnum revolver.

Produce a small frame revolver in .32 H&R Magnum with 4" and 2.5" barrels.

I would produce a hi-cap 1911 like Para-Ordinance.

I would produce a new carbine in .45acp that will take magazines from the new high-cap 1911.

Missouri Mule
January 27, 2003, 09:50 AM
Wondernine said....
Introduce a 1911A1 "pre 70 series" (WWII replica) pistol without a grip safety the way it was originally intended to be.

I said.."Huh?".

If I owned Colt I'd knock off all of tyhe BS and concentrate on making the highest possible quality guns. I'd eliminate all of the lawyer crap like the Series 80 safety and not selling AR's to the public. .....................

BerettaNut92
January 27, 2003, 03:53 PM
Fix the dang webpage.

P-35/53
January 28, 2003, 01:55 AM
i would bring back the Detective Special , the Diamondback in 38 and 22. Find a way to make a reliable Lighting and Thunderer in 38 special and 44special. Bring back the Goverment model 380's . Also move the company to some more receptive area South or West.

sixgun_symphony
January 28, 2003, 05:30 PM
There is some merit in the idea of moving Colt manufacturing to Texas.

If you enjoyed reading about "If you owned Colt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!