Cleaning wax bullet crud?

PDA

eqlzr
February 18, 2011, 09:21 PM
Hey, Youtube! Oops, sorry.

Hey, Guys! Doh, sorry again.

Really, I'm just checking in here searching for the prevailing wisdom on cleaning the wax bullet crud from my .45 LC Ruger New Vaquero and Colt SAA. What is an optimum cleaning solution for this purpose? Oh, the Colt is nickel plated.

Many thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning wax bullet crud?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sport45
February 18, 2011, 09:50 PM
If your normal bore solvent and a brass brush doesn't get it out you need to find another wax alloy. That, or have your cylinder throats reamed, :)

Seriously, are you having difficulty getting the wax out with a bore brush and solvent? I've never tried the wax bullets but can't imagine wax and primer residue being hard to remove. But I've been wrong before...

GP100man
February 19, 2011, 12:05 AM
Eds Red !!!!

1qt. each or equal parts of :

kerosene
atf fluid (dextron)
acetone
mineralspirits

store in glass (acetone)

Don`t let it sit on stock finishes (acetone)

If deleading a barrel get ya some copper pot scrubbers (check em with a magnet) & wrap em around an old brush till they fit the bore tite !! a couple of passes after the Eds Red soaking & the bore & forcing cone will be lead free !!
Not worth a flip on copper ,but it`s the bees knees when shooting lead !!!

I wet the bore down & let it soak 15min minimum !!

ColtPythonElite
February 19, 2011, 12:14 AM
I prefer my Ed's minus the acetone.

eqlzr
February 19, 2011, 12:22 AM
No problems getting the wax bullet crud out. So far I've just used Hoppe's #9 but wanted to check with what the pros used.

Thanks for the tips.

Oh, and BTW, if you haven't tried shooting wax bullets, it's a fun and novel experience. I bought some online (forget where, just google "wax bullets") and some of the shell cases bored out to accept the Winchester shotgun primers (#209??). It's a snap to put the bullets and the primers in and shoot. All you need is a piece of cardboard with target backed by any old piece of plywood. I shoot them in my garage. The bullets hit a little low on the target at garage distances, but a little Kentucky windage does the trick. The primer's put some smoke in the air, which is probably not too good for you (fair warning).

jim melohn
February 19, 2011, 09:20 AM
Hello, Google wax bullets, the places that sell them also sell a cleaner, it smells like orange glow works good I don't think its flamable. Cleaned the crud off in no time just using cleaning patches and a rag. Wax bullets are fun and the clean up is easy with the cleaner. Jim

The Bushmaster
February 19, 2011, 10:53 AM
A piece of copper scrub pad on a bore brush soaked in Hoppe's nitro solvent.

Make your own wax bullets using canning paraffin (comes in 1/2" thick rectangles of 3" by 5" or so). Warm the paraffin until you can push a case through it like a cookie cutter. Whaaa-Laaa. Wax bullets already seated in a primed case ready to shoot.

GP100man
February 19, 2011, 02:13 PM
Many a mice has fallen to parrafin & drilled 38 cases in our ole hunting camp !!!

My cuz from the city would come down & camp & "WAX" em from the bed & a model 10 !!

The buildng was 16'x16' & there was nuttin like being almost asleep & POW !! got another 1 !!

788Ham
February 19, 2011, 02:15 PM
Get a spray can of CRC Brake-kleen, red can.

eqlzr
February 19, 2011, 05:07 PM
Many a mice has fallen to parrafin & drilled 38 cases in our ole hunting camp!!!

Doh! Now why didn't I think of that when hundreds of mice let me live in their old farmhouse in Iowa City for 15 years or so?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning wax bullet crud?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!