Considering an HK

PDA

gf1723
February 19, 2011, 02:14 AM
I'm in the mood to spending some of my tax refund in the next couple of months towards a nice, reliable pistol. The primary use of this pistol would be for shooting at the range and home defense.

I've looked at some reviews online. I know most people will say to go for the Glock, but I'm not a huge fan of the looks of them. For a while I thought about the Springfield XDM series, but have come to really like the design of the HK USP. I was wanting a .40S&W caliber and really like the fact that it is a DA/SA pistol. This way I can keep a round chambered for home defense, but still have the hammer not cocked and the safety on. I checked out an XDM at a store and was not a fan of the grip safety, and didn't like the fact that I couldn't de-cock the firearm. I know HK USPs are known for their reliability so I don't think I'll have an issue there.

I was watching a YouTube video and heard one of the reviewers mention that teh USPs were discontinued in 2010? Is this true? I really haven't ever bought a used gun and like to order them brand new through my local firearms dealer. I guess I'm just too afraid that I'll end up buying a used firearm and it will have a crappy finish on it, or something won't work right. I would rather spend the extra money to have a peace of mind that it's a brand new firearm and that if something is wrong with it, it is a manufacturer defect. I guess my question is, would it be possible to still get a brand new HK USP .40? Or has this model been discontinued already? I know they have been around for a while, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they are.

If you enjoyed reading about "Considering an HK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CZ57
February 19, 2011, 02:20 AM
http://www.cdnninvestments.com Has new USPs for sale go to the site and download the catalog.;)

mr.trooper
February 19, 2011, 02:24 AM
Discontinued or not, there are still tons of them on dealers shelves, and in the ques of their suppliers... and at $800+ retail, you can bet on this remaining true for a while yet.

REAPER4206969
February 19, 2011, 04:43 AM
The USP is not discontinued. What idiots video did you watch? Please post the link.

http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/pistols.asp

http://www.impactguns.com/store/M704001.html

mr-mom
February 19, 2011, 04:53 AM
You can't go wrong with H&K. They are well built, reliable, accurate, and eat anything you feed 'em.
Be safe, shoot straight and have fun,
mr-mom

usp9
February 19, 2011, 07:14 AM
I'm in the mood to spending some of my tax refund in the next couple of months towards a nice, reliable pistol. The primary use of this pistol would be for shooting at the range and home defense.

Among my favorite range guns is a HK USP, USPc and a Beretta 92 Vertec Inox. These are all very reliable, as accurate as my ability and soft shooting, shoot all day comfy.

Other good choices would be the HK P2000 or the newest of the family, the HK P30.

PO2Hammer
February 19, 2011, 10:37 AM
USP's are not discontinued (yet).
Check with your local FFL, I recently bought a brand new USP 9mm for an even $700 + tax.
HK Germany has removed a few from it's web site, but not the basic USP USPc models.
I know HK USPs are known for their reliability so I don't think I'll have an issue there. No, you won't.

If you're set on the .40, that's fine, but the USP .45 or the HK45 are some of the most accurate out of the box pistols made. Recoil is also a little softer in .45acp.
I had the USP .40 for a while, great pistol. I really liked the way it recovered so quickly from recoil and even the hottest loads were more shootable than other .40's I've tried.

Now my only HK is a USP 9mm, but I'm looking for the right deal on Gunbroker for the USP .45, the one handgun I regret selling more than any other.

PO2Hammer
February 19, 2011, 11:28 AM
I was just cruising Gunbroker, and there are plenty of new USPs there.

FIVETWOSEVEN
February 19, 2011, 11:33 AM
The stainless USPs are discontinued, other than that they are still making them.

Comedian
February 19, 2011, 12:46 PM
H&K makes great pistols, and as of late I've been seeing some pretty good prices on gunbroker for the USP series. I'd recommend at least dry firing one before purchasing, as most people seem to think that it has the worst double action trigger ever made (which is an exaggeration, the M1895 Nagant has that title all sewn up). You can upgrade it with HK's drop in match trigger (or buy an HK pistol that comes with it stock, like the USP tactical). The other thing you should know is that the rail on the USP series is proprietary, so you'll have to buy an adapter for the majority of pistol mounted lights.

NOLAEMT
February 19, 2011, 01:11 PM
I love my USPc45. it has been 100% reliable with the exception of some too long handloads, it is accurate, and easy to ccw.

gf1723
February 19, 2011, 03:34 PM
Yea I'm not to concerned with adding accessories, so having to buy an adapter for them doesn't bother me too much.

I think I'll call some of the local dealers around and see if they have any USP models I can take a look at. Glad to hear they weren't discontinued. Thanks for the help guys!

riseagainstforme
February 19, 2011, 03:48 PM
I have a USP in 40, it's nice. Im like you i dont like glocks much either. but I'd suggest looking at a S&W M&P 40. They feel fantastic, so much better than the USP. They sit lower in your hand and I can get the M&P back on target much faster than the USP. Not to mention i can CCW my M&P. Not the USP though. Although they are basically the same size the M&P feels so much smaller.

Once I got the M&P the USP went in the safe and hasn't come out actually other than to compare. I should sell it.

Hawaiian
February 19, 2011, 09:03 PM
The USP line up has been cut back some due to the release of the HK45 and the P30.

I am an HK fan. USP9sd, HK45c, HK P30s 9mm.

The P30 is also available in 40. I recommend you check that one before deciding. The P30 is a great shooting gun. Not as good as the 45c, but close. IMHO.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/Hawaiianone/Guns/HKFamily.jpg

The_Shootist
February 19, 2011, 10:46 PM
Just curious - I handled a full size USP in .45 and while nice and all it seemed a bit too large for CHL duty. I've carried a 1911/G19/686+ for CCW duty but the USP full size just seemed like a brick - even a G30 felt easier to conceal.

Are the USP compacts in .45 a bit smaller? How do they compare to the G30? I'd like a .45 in a different platform than my 1911's and the USP's have a good rep (I'm a fan of Collateral ...grins). To say nothing of the snob appeal I guess.

jdub3
February 19, 2011, 11:28 PM
I have a USP .45 that I love. But DA trigger isn't as good as it should be at that price point, and I wish I had gotten the USPc so I could CC more easily, but the full-size is my nightstand gun. Never had a malf of any kind in over 5k rounds.

Hawaiian
February 19, 2011, 11:32 PM
This is my EDC. HK45c. I also would not carry a full sized USP.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/Hawaiianone/Guns/HK45ccarry.jpg

Zerodefect
February 19, 2011, 11:34 PM
No compact squeeze cocker HK's on the HK website SA pistol list!

Don't tell me that the discontinued thier best pistols?

gun addict
February 20, 2011, 01:36 AM
sry, had an USP 40 and got rid of it fast

rail = incompactiable with standard pistol accessories
trigger = even the LEM trigger is HORRIBLE, my SIG P228's double action is better than that
recoil = honestly shooting it and my friend's Springfield XD the XD recoils less
size = HUGEEE, my hands are medium sized and cannot reach the magazine release without flipping the pistol to its sides

also everyone advices me to not dryfire an USP due its firing pin safety system is prone to dry fire damage, do a google on USP Dryfire and see the consensus and people with broken fireing pins

PO2Hammer
February 20, 2011, 04:03 AM
also everyone advices me to not dryfire an USP due its firing pin safety system is prone to dry fire damage, do a google on USP Dryfire and see the consensus and people with broken fireing pins
The USP firing pin problem was fixed many years ago.

gf1723
February 20, 2011, 02:56 PM
Those are some nice pics, thanks for sharing. I'm not even thinking about a compact pistol. I live in Illinois so CCW is not an option for me, unfortunately. I also plan on living here a while so I won't be moving anytime soon.

Now I'm also starting to think that if I'm going to spend this much on an HK, why not just get a 1911 style pistol? I don't even own one of those. Just not sure if I'm ready for a .45 yet. The biggest round I have fired is a .357 magnum. I'm actually looking to trade in my .357 for money towards a new pistol. How much you think I can get out of a Taurus 608SS6 with less than 300 rounds on it? :)

Hanzo581
February 20, 2011, 07:43 PM
I held a P30 at a local gun show this weekend, it felt like an extension of my hand, I am in love.

But I just don't think I can stomach the cost.

Comedian
February 20, 2011, 09:01 PM
The new P30 and HK45 are certainly pricey, and the magazine cost just adds insult to injury. I've had the chance to handle one at a local gun store and ergonomically they're hard to beat and I definitely plan on picking one up eventually, but at the moment I can't fit another handgun into the budget.

hogshead
February 20, 2011, 09:07 PM
Let me be the first, HK because you suck and we hate you.

gf1723
February 20, 2011, 09:31 PM
Yea, I figure now that rather than throwing money at an HK, I'm gonna look into a Springfield or Kimber 1911

Bentonville
February 20, 2011, 11:55 PM
There are many pistols out there that have great qualities. H & K is no different. On the P30 I like the slide release accessibility, the mag. release, the decocker on the rear, and it's easy to shoot accurately imo. DA trigger pull is not so light but the SA is nice.Triggers should be mastered through practice, not feared. It took a while for me to learn that. The P2000 is a great concealable H & K with the same reliability as all of the H & K lines. The P7 is just plain fun to shoot. The HK.45c is perhaps the easiest shooting .45 I have. I don't enjoy shooting the USP.40 so much because it has a snappy twisting recoil in my hands. My wife enjoys shooting the P30 as much as her S & W revolver due to the interchangeable side panels and backstrap. It fits her hands perfectly. I have run thousands of rounds through my HK pistols with no issues at all. The price didn't scare me off years ago and I am glad about that. They have brought me a lot of pleasure and security over the years.

CZ57
February 21, 2011, 01:39 AM
If you can handle .357 Magnum recoil then a 1911 in .45 ACP shouldn't be a problem for you.;)

Telekinesis
February 21, 2011, 02:00 AM
No compact squeeze cocker HK's on the HK website SA pistol list!

Don't tell me that the discontinued thier best pistols?

I believe they discontinued them quite a while ago. The P7 is probably my favorite gun. When I first started shooting, I got to try out a P7 M13 and fell in love... Its a shame that once I finally reach the age to purchase one, it seems like all of them are gone. (Even the German Police trade-in guns!!!)

I agree with CZ57, with practice .45 ACP is pretty fun to shoot. Nothing to worry about as far as being able to control it.

I've never really liked HK's DA triggers. The SA was fine, but the DA just seemed to go on forever. You may want to look into a Sig. The 220 is a really good single stack .45 DA/SA (but there's also a SAO version if you want to pretend its a 1911 ;)) but if you go with something like a 226 or 229 in .40, you can swap out the barrel for a .357 Sig, or you can swap the barrel and mags for 9mm. It's almost like having 3 guns in one!

Captaingyro
February 21, 2011, 08:28 AM
I have about 2000 rounds through my USP 40 Compact with never so much as a hiccup. This thing is an animal.

If you go H&K, get the Law Enforcemet Mod, or LEM, trigger. You lose the safety/selector switch, and gain a trigger that has a somewhat lighter pull due to pre-tensioning of the hammer spring. This mod can be added after purchase, if necessary.

even the LEM trigger is HORRIBLE, my SIG P228's double action is better than that

You need a little training to use the LEM trigger. The initial pull requires a long travel, but the reset requires only about an eighth inch. Those who feel the LEM trigger is horrible in capital letters are usually letting it travel well past the reset before squeezing off the next round. With a little practice you can feel the reset very distinctly. Properly used, the LEM trigger is remarkable.

my hands are medium sized and cannot reach the magazine release without flipping the pistol to its sides

You use the trigger finger, not the thumb.

SwampWolf
February 21, 2011, 07:05 PM
I have an early USP 40 (it even has conventional rifling in the barrel as to the current polygon procedure) and have been more than satisfied with it. An earlier post in this thread referenced firing pin breakages with early USPs and I'm wondering if mine is in this category? Any way to know in terms of serial numbers, etc.?
As much as I like the USP, I like my SIG 220 Carry even better; I prefer the SIG trigger and its general ergonomics with respect to my own subjective hand to grip relationship preference. That said, if a USP fits your hand and you like the trigger (mine is configured in mode 1-traditional da which I prefer), then I'd recommend it without reservation. They are well-made, reliable pistols that should last you a lifetime.
And, yes, as Captaingyro reported, it's best use your trigger finger instead of your thumb to release the magazine-at least, most people I know prefer this method.

PO2Hammer
February 21, 2011, 07:32 PM
I have an early USP 40 (it even has conventional rifling in the barrel as to the current polygon procedure) and have been more than satisfied with it. An earlier post in this thread referenced firing pin breakages with early USPs and I'm wondering if mine is in this category? Any way to know in terms of serial numbers, etc.?
If yours has conventional rifling it should be well before the FP problems. Yours should be from '94-'96 (roughly) and the FP problems were a run of pistols around '99-'01.
You don't even see any references to it on the forums anymore.
Someone just dredging up some old crap to throw on the wall because they don't like HK's. Kind of like the Sig bashers who say "Sigs rust", even though they've been made from stainless steel for years.

SwampWolf
February 22, 2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks PO2Hammer for the info. I did buy my USP 40 in 1994 (can't believe it's been that long!).

jyo
February 22, 2011, 09:54 PM
I am quite the fan of my P2000 DA/SA in 9mm---smaller, slimmer, lighter weight and shoots as well as the full-size pistols (yes, I own three full-size USPs as well).

Hk Dan
February 23, 2011, 07:32 AM
Ewwwww...Kimber? I thought you wanted a reliable pistol? Kimers jam more than Stevie Ray Vaughn on a 3 day coke binge. Springfield 1911s are fine for 1911s, but they ain't no HK.

remember--if you're carrying a 1911 and a stranger accosts you ina dark alley with mal intent, draw quickly, aim well, and throw it with everything you've got.

If you lob it high and get him to look up at it as it falls, you'll have time to draw your HK and plug him before it hits the deck.

HGUNHNTR
February 23, 2011, 08:11 AM
Yea, I figure now that rather than throwing money at an HK, I'm gonna look into a Springfield or Kimber 1911

Why? Same price, less reliability? Bad idea.

benderx4
February 23, 2011, 11:19 AM
HUGE fan of the HK USP line here - can't go wrong with this proven work horse. The Tactical, Elite, Combat Competition (LEM), and Expert versions give you a seriously sweet match trigger too.
In fact, I've become so enamored with the USPs match trigger that I bought a HK P30 and sold it due to the inferior trigger. But I really wanted to like the P30, so when the opportunity arose to grab a P30L, I took it. Just finished my third range session with the P30L and now it's on the sale chopping block too. IMHO, the stock trigger of the HK P series just can't compare to the match trigger of the USPs.

Yes, the P series looks cooler and they are way more ergonomic, but the trigger, for me, is the deciding factor. Add to that the fact the the P30 only holds 15 in 9mm while the USP capacity is 18 with the jet funnel, and I'm a USP man for life!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/4293760673_55ded61e91.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Considering an HK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!