S&W k frame parts interchange

PDA

rromeo
February 19, 2011, 12:04 PM
I just bought a Model 10-5 with 4" barrel. It's in okay cosmetic shape, but mechanically solid.
Anyway in searching for a holster, I found a place that has a package deal on new surplus barrel, cylinder, and crane for Victory Models. Would those work on my gun? I don't need them, but I'm the kind of person that likes spare parts.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W k frame parts interchange" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
February 19, 2011, 12:46 PM
Not likely. Design changes were made between the time Victory Models were made, and your 10-5 Military & Police. In addition cylinder assemblies and yokes ("crane" is Colt talk :D) were individually fitted to each frame, and are not considered to be interchangeable. Same with barrels.

rromeo
February 19, 2011, 12:55 PM
Thank you. It was just a case of seeing what seemed like a good deal.
BTW, crane was the term used in the ad.

Old Fuff
February 19, 2011, 02:02 PM
BTW, crane was the term used in the ad.

It really doesn't matter unless you are trying to order parts and don't find a "crain" listed. For some reason the manufactures have never been able to get together and use the same word to describe a particular part. The result is unnecessary confusion.

Some police departments no longer sell surplus guns, but instead either destroy them, or send them to a used parts company that strip them down, and then send back only the frame for destruction. For some reason this makes gun control advocates feel warm and fuzzy. :banghead:

The remaining parts are sometimes packaged and sold as a kit - often to buyers that don't realize that older revolvers (and some current ones) are not made up using so-called, "drop in" parts, except for such things as springs, screws, other parts that don't require hand fitting.

Your model 10-5 is a pretty rugged piece of machinery, and parts are unlikely to break. Replacement more often then not, is because a screw or something is dropped and lost when the gun is being disassembled or reassembled, or someone has tampered with the insides without knowing what they were doing.

Replacing a major component, such as a barrel or cylinder assembly should be done at the factory, or a qualified gunsmith (not many are). If you want some other small parts on hand (screws, springs, hammer & trigger assmeblies, rebound slide, cylinder bolt assembly + thumbpiece and nut, etc.) go to www.e-gunparts.com

If you don't have an owners manual you can download one in .PDF format from S&W. Go to www.smith-wesson.com

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W k frame parts interchange" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!