Best weight hammer spring for Polish Radon P64?

PDA

leadcounsel
February 21, 2011, 04:13 PM
Looks like the original is a 24lb hammer spring.

Wolf makes 17lb, 18lb, and 20lb. What are users experiences for the best weight for both double action (not too heavy) and single action (not too light) for carry?

And is there any need to get the recoil spring? If so, what recommendations?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best weight hammer spring for Polish Radon P64?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shadow 7D
February 21, 2011, 07:00 PM
check out P64 forum they have a whole section dedicated to this question
www.p64resource.com/

Sebastian the Ibis
February 21, 2011, 09:49 PM
I went with the 17 lb trigger/hammer spring and the heaviest recoil spring wolf offered, although I cannot remember the specific weight. Both work very well for me and I would recommend them.

Shadow 7D
February 21, 2011, 09:55 PM
BE CAREFUL

Going lighter (most put 18 as the ideal/lowest)
causes issue with the trigger, and every time you reduce the DA, you also reduce the SA, and if you have the standard 2# trigger to start, yeah, the DA is now ~10#s, and the SA is 1#??????

I don't like a trigger that I sneeze at and it goes BANG

Olympus
February 22, 2011, 09:50 AM
I went with 18lb on mine. There were just too many threads about people having problems with their 17s. So how much difference is 1 pound really? I opted for the 18 and I've never had a single problem. Still makes a world of difference.

leadcounsel
February 22, 2011, 12:56 PM
I am considering the multi pack of 17, 18 and 20 lbs springs, but don't want to buy anything that is unnecessary...

Olympus
February 22, 2011, 03:24 PM
My opinion is that the 20lb spring is unnecessary. The 18 will function as required and will still provide a considerable improvement to the trigger. The 17 will provide a slightly better improvement to the trigger, but there have been people who have had problems when using the 17. There are also people who say they get along just fine with the 17 as well, so it's really a gamble.

HM2PAC
February 22, 2011, 03:56 PM
Radon is a carcinogen.

Radom can be used to effect a much quicker death.

leadcounsel
February 23, 2011, 08:17 AM
What about the recoil springs? Necessary or helpful? How do they help with recoil?

Olympus
February 23, 2011, 10:22 AM
I swapped mine for the heaviest one they offer. It helps some. But in all honesty, the P-64 is just never going to be a fun range gun. The blowback design, 9x18 round, and the narrowness of the gun combine to make a pretty snappy little gun that will give the web of your hand a good beating. I can make it through about 100 arounds before my accuracy starts to suffer because of my sore hand. It's kind of like taking an airweight revolver to the range and shooting nothing but +p ammo through it. It's just not what most people would consider a good time. But I have no problem carrying mine. I painted the front sight to make it easier to pick up and that little gun is super accurate. At 7 yards, I can shoot tighter groups with the P-64 than I can with my SR9c. But the Ruger is much more enjoyable for extended range sessions.

leadcounsel
March 22, 2011, 12:38 PM
Bump

kragluver
March 22, 2011, 01:53 PM
I used the 19# hammer spring and I think it was the 22# recoil spring (don't rightly recall). The hammer spring change made the DA trigger much better but the SA trigger was still too light. I made my own trigger return spring from a larger diameter music wire and ended up with better balance between the DA and SA trigger pull. I don't think the recoil spring appreciably affects felt recoil. The P64 is a great little pistol for the money, but the grip design does cause a blister to form in the web between my thumb and forefinger if I shoot it very much.

amd6547
March 22, 2011, 07:00 PM
The heavier recoil spring made a noticeable improvement in my p64.
They are cheap...give it a try.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best weight hammer spring for Polish Radon P64?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!