Would you pay $240.00 for this?

PDA

heavyshooter
February 21, 2011, 10:19 PM
I saw this today in an out of state gun store. I am looking for something that I can load, put in a drawer, and count on if I need it. It does not have to be pretty and I am not looking for a collectable; I need a shooter. This one has the best trigger I have ever experienced (I don't think it is a trigger job, it's just shot a lot).

With that in mind, would you pay $189.95 + $50.00 (FFL Transfer) for this gun?

***sorry about the photo quality***

Heavy

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you pay $240.00 for this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mljdeckard
February 21, 2011, 10:22 PM
Not if I couldn't feel the lockwork first.

welldoya
February 21, 2011, 10:33 PM
If you handled it and it locks up tight and everything is in order I sure would. I wouldn't pay $50 for a transfer fee though. Shouldn't be more than $25.

heavyshooter
February 21, 2011, 10:41 PM
@ mljdeckard - It locks up good. They have about 10-15 of them and all except two of them are pretty good.

@ welldoya - $25 is an appropriate price? I've been getting ripped off. I have used two different dealers and they both charge $50.

gatorjames85
February 21, 2011, 10:46 PM
I would definitely go for it. But not for the $50 transfer fee.

withdrawn34
February 21, 2011, 10:47 PM
Yea, $50 is on the higher end of FFL fees. Usually I stay away from the $50 places because I figure they're not actually serious; they just hate people who transfer so much they want to extract a "penalty" from them.

ekgandj
February 21, 2011, 10:48 PM
I would spend it, but the $50 transfer fee, Wow!

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

Husker_Fan
February 21, 2011, 10:50 PM
If it is in as good of mechanical condition as you describe, that's a bargain.

earlthegoat2
February 21, 2011, 10:54 PM
Even if the 50 transfer fee is a little high it is still a good price for K frame they dont make any more.

If you are stuck on principles than yeah, 50 is too high. But 240 is pretty fair for that gun.

heavyshooter
February 21, 2011, 11:00 PM
$50 IS HIGH??? YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME!!! I have transfered twice to two different dealers and they both charged $50.00!!! :banghead::banghead: :fire::fire: :cuss::cuss: This has ruined my day!

Fmjblack
February 21, 2011, 11:10 PM
A few years ago I knew of several places locally that would do transfers for $10-$15. Recently it seems almost as if all of them got together and decided to bump the fee up to $35. I still know of a couple of private FFL holders that will transfer for about $15. One shop I called wanted $50 and I have never darkened their door or called them again.

Onward Allusion
February 21, 2011, 11:13 PM
heavyshooter (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=75136)

$50 IS HIGH??? YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME!!! I have transfered twice to two different dealers and they both charged $50.00!!!Don't let the $50 fee worry you. The FFL fees all depends on the area of the country you live in.

You may want to look at Detroit Arms http://www.detroitarms.com/about/ I think they used to do transfers for $25.

Here's a link http://www.auctionarms.com/help/FFLStateSearch.cfm

BTW, I'd buy the S&W in a heartbeat.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 21, 2011, 11:20 PM
You have to take into account that EVERYTHING costs more today regardless of what THEY say about inflation.

It simply takes more money to stay in business, or to even run a household as far as that goes! It is different even than just ten years ago as far as I can see. The only thing that is cheaper is houses and that is because they were hyper-inflated back then and the bottom fell out of the housing market.:uhoh: We know who we can blame on that, but I digress.:banghead:

Iggy
February 21, 2011, 11:27 PM
You couldn't touch that gun around here for under $350 and then add on the fees.:(

mes227
February 22, 2011, 12:06 AM
What kind of "Dealers" are you using for your transfers and what are you including in that $50? Retail stores charge a lot more for the service than independent FFLs. Standard fees for independents in Nevada, for example, is $20 for the FFL plus $25 for the background check = $45 total.

Old Fuff
February 22, 2011, 12:16 AM
Use your eyeballs... :)

Notice the rub mark on the left side of the trigger near the frame. This revolver has been dry fired a lot, which likely accounts for the smooth action. Check the sideplate screws for signs of burring. Lockup is tight? That's good. Stocks show little wear, suggesting little use or abuse. Last but not least, check the cylinder for end-shake and the back end of the barrel for cracks in the forceing cone.

The $50 FFL charge is outrageous, but there isn't a whole lot you can do about it, but in today's market $240 out-the-door is reasonable for a "used but not abused" S&W model 15. If it was what I wanted I'd take it.

ravot
February 22, 2011, 02:08 AM
little off topic, but in chicago and suburban areas. transfer fees are 50 bucks! another one, is 100 dollars! this same one for 100....if it's used and they can't get it, 50 but if it's new it's 100 no matter what. i had to look around for a spot. cheapest and nearest is 50 dollars over 300, 25 under 300. nuts

Grunt Medic TXARNG
February 22, 2011, 02:35 AM
http://www.protektsolutions.com/ in the Denver areas does transfers for $25-

Dave Bulla
February 22, 2011, 03:08 AM
Dang, I guess I'm lucky too. The dealer I go to all the time only charges $15 and does the transfer with a smile. He's smart enough to know that he can't always have the best price in the country and people will find great deals on the net but if they ship the gun through him, several things happen. Most common is that they at least buy a couple boxes of ammo before they leave. The other is they tell their friends about how well they were treated and didn't get ripped off. Lastly, these happy customers usually COME BACK at a later date and odds are that they'll buy something again.

I've heard other dealers who did nothing but p!$$ and moan. They're afraid of getting caught doing something wrong or that someone will spend their money in another store then "use" them for the paperwork. They think it's just not worth their time so they charge a ridiculous fee to cut back on their paperwork.

Oh well, got way sidetracked...

That's a pretty good deal. If I were you, I'd get on line and search for dealers in your area. I believe gunbroker.com has a feature where you can enter your zip code and it will bring up all the dealers in your area who are willing to do transfers and I THINK it shows their fee to do so. Might help you out if you can access it. It might only come up if you buy a gun through gunbroker.

Dave Bulla
February 22, 2011, 03:14 AM
Yup, just checked gunbroker.

Go to www.gunbroker.com then on the top banner click the tab that says "for buyers". Then, second block down labeled "Before you bid" has a link called "Find a transfer dealer". Enter your zip code where indicated and hit enter.

I just did it and I see the dealer I use has raised his fee from $15 to $20. I can still live with that. Several others are $35 and one is $50 so even around here there are some who charge that much. Do your homework and I bet you can beat the $50 fee by at least $10 to $20. Good luck.

ArchAngelCD
February 22, 2011, 04:19 AM
Yes, $50 is way too high. My local dealers all charge $25 and I think that's a little high so you know I wouldn't pay $50. They shouldn't charge you more than a local transfer would cost you. It's all the same paper work if it's local or out of state.

Jenrick
February 22, 2011, 04:52 AM
Down here any shop or smith is going to run in the $35-$50 range. Don't feel too bad about it.

-Jenrick

Magnumite
February 22, 2011, 08:14 AM
With just the FFL fee it is a fair price for an adjustable sight K frame in that shape. Did you add in the shipping costs to the FFL? Assuming $25 to ship, that will bring the total to $265 for that revolver. Its a 38 Special, so it doesn't have the market appeal a Model 19, 357 Magnum would. And it looks like an unpinned barrel. I'd pass unless the revolver prices are shooting up around you.

Guillermo
February 22, 2011, 08:25 AM
the gun is a bargain...the FFL is a huge rip off

My guy charges 10 bucks

CajunBass
February 22, 2011, 08:37 AM
Yea. I'd pay that much for it. And I'd be tickled pink to get it at that price. Around here K-frame Smiths start at $350.00 just just go up.

$50.00 is about average for a transfer fee here too.

Geneseo1911
February 22, 2011, 09:06 AM
That is a steal. We recently bought a model 10 for my Mom, and she paid $300 FTF. It is a fantastic shooter with the heavy barrel and time-worn trigger. It was worth every penny IMHO. I would jump on the deal you found; even with a $50 transfer you are still ahead.

FYI my dealer gets $30 for a used gun and $40 for a new one. There's a cheaper guy around, but he creeps me out a little.

madcratebuilder
February 22, 2011, 09:42 AM
Total price is good for a shooter K frame. Transfer fees are going up across the country because states are raising fees to FFL's. I can remember a $5 fee back in the day.

Harley Quinn
February 22, 2011, 12:21 PM
Here in CA $50 is not high:what:
OP...
I think the buy and fee is totally reasonable, for that shooter...:)

Regards

p95
February 22, 2011, 12:42 PM
That gun would have allready been mine!!!

oneounceload
February 22, 2011, 01:05 PM
If $50 is what the Denver marketplace will bear, then $50 it is. - There is no gouging or overcharging because in some other place in the country someone else does it for less. Location, location, location............

Besides $240 for a S&W revolver - Grab it and run - I can't find any remotely in that condition in my area for under $400

Warners
February 22, 2011, 02:22 PM
little off topic, but in chicago and suburban areas. transfer fees are 50 bucks! another one, is 100 dollars! this same one for 100....if it's used and they can't get it, 50 but if it's new it's 100 no matter what. i had to look around for a spot. cheapest and nearest is 50 dollars over 300, 25 under 300. nuts
I live in the Chicagoland area and my FFL charges me $15 fee for transfers. He has also shipped guns that I have sold, for NO additional charges (beyond the shipping charges) and gave me his reduced shipping rates on top of it.

Warner

sixgunner455
February 22, 2011, 02:39 PM
I'd do that in a cold minute. They're going for a hell of a lot more than that here.

HelterSkelter
February 22, 2011, 02:46 PM
i've never payed more than 20 for a transfer. most places will only charge me 15 since i have a chl. recently a friend of a friend got his ffl and i can have them transferred to him for free.

@oneounceload

just because the area that the price is inflated is large doesn't mean it isn't overcharging. size of area is relative. if the whole of denver is charging more than any other area then the whole of denver is overcharging for ffl transfers.

Jim Watson
February 22, 2011, 03:00 PM
Quit whining about the fee, $240 total for a Model 15 is a good buy.

motorcycle-charlie
February 22, 2011, 03:09 PM
grab it. i think that is a good price. i looked at one here for $295. i think i could have gotten it for $250 and would have been thrilled, so your $240 otd looks great. i ended up cutting a deal for a model 28-2 instead, but i might go back for the model 15 if it is still there.

rklessdriver
February 22, 2011, 03:14 PM
I agree with JIM.

$240 OTD for a decent condition Smith Model 15 is a good deal. That one looks well worth the $$$$.

If your dealer charges $50 then that's what he charges. You can try and find someone to do it cheaper, but IME local FFL's usually all get together and have a "gentelmens agreement" on transfer fee's.
Will

Rail Driver
February 22, 2011, 03:21 PM
I haven't paid more than $25 for a transfer since I started buying from out of state, but then I live in Florida too... Around me, rates go from $20 to $35, but I don't think I've seen one higher than that.

motorcycle-charlie
February 22, 2011, 04:16 PM
forget the transfer. it is what it is. if you like the gun, get it. i just looked at 15s on Gunbroker, and compared to what they have, i wouldnt hesitate to pay the $240. looks like a great revolver at a fair price.

Guillermo
February 22, 2011, 05:15 PM
since you are in Denver call Pwp Outfitters (303) 287-5311 for a $20 transfer

FYI
I went to the Auction Arms site and did a search for Colorado FFLs.

Of the 44 listed ALL were under 50 bucks.
Most 20 or 30 (average of 21)

50 is a rip-off

save the 30 bucks and buy a couple of boxes of ammo

FYI
average in Virginia (from the AuctionArms site) was 23

Black_Talon
February 22, 2011, 05:18 PM
Are you sure that's a real Smith? Normal M-15's have tapered barrels, not the bull barrel that is installed on that one. And what's with the S&W logo being on the left side beneath the thumb latch? Shouldn't it be on the right sideplate?

McCall911
February 22, 2011, 05:19 PM
$50 is what I have to pay for a transfer at my favorite gunshop. IMO that's a small price to pay for the courtesy and great service they've given me over the years.

Guillermo
February 22, 2011, 05:23 PM
McCall...it is your money and you certainly have a right to spend it however you want. But you know that you are paying double the average of the 35 listed on the AuctionArms site.

gordy
February 22, 2011, 06:17 PM
Even after the transfer $ I would buy it. Hell of a deal!!!!!
One like that would run 250 to 275 just for the gun around here.
Hell buy it for me and I gladly pay you back.

GLShooter
February 22, 2011, 06:24 PM
I'd pay that for the pistol and use it to build into a target gun. I have never payed a transfer fee on any of my guns. Friends don't charge friends for things like that. Of course all my FFL friends are IPSC shooters or my 'smiths so I never have to go through a true 'store front"

Greg

MICHAEL T
February 22, 2011, 06:26 PM
I pay 20 to transfer .At 50 I would walk away that rip off and pay for the background check since when . My dealer call up gives info gets approval and no charge. Seems like a lot of ripping off going on Are they all X Used car dealers.

Zundfolge
February 22, 2011, 06:33 PM
$240 out the door is a good price for that K Frame (assuming tight lockup, correct timing and decent bore ... read this first (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=1430)).

If it checks out I'd go for it (I just wouldn't use this guy for transferring firearms you've bought out of state).

youngda9
February 22, 2011, 06:37 PM
Way overpriced if you as me.

gordy
February 22, 2011, 06:45 PM
I find it strange that any one would find that over priced.

goodtime
February 22, 2011, 07:36 PM
I use FFL guys who perform transfers out of their homes. I've found that dealers often charge high fees, whereas the cottage industry guys typically have low fees. Use an online gun sales site such as Gunbroker.com to find a list of FFL service providers in your area. You'll find ones you never knew existed because they don't have storefronts. A lot of non storefront FFL's do transfers for $25 around my area.

Ichiro
February 22, 2011, 07:44 PM
Like others have mentioned, the total price is all that matters. I wonder if some would consider it a better deal at $270, but with a transfer fee of $20.

I would buy it.

oneounceload
February 22, 2011, 08:24 PM
just because the area that the price is inflated is large doesn't mean it isn't overcharging. size of area is relative. if the whole of denver is charging more than any other area then the whole of denver is overcharging for ffl transfers

It ISN'T overcharging if people are willingly paying the going rate - it doesn't matter if it is guns, houses, or groceries

Kal52
February 22, 2011, 08:51 PM
the guy I go through charges 50 bucks, I dont hardly ever transfer anything, but it is what it is.

The way I see it, its his FFL, not mine he can charge what he wants, why should he do a transfer for free or at cost or even a little profit. I mean I didnt buy this gun from him or his store, I bought it from another store/site/person.
Not only that but taking time where he could be selling to other customers.

If I dont like paying the transfer fees I could always PAY for the paperwork and get my own FFL, how much does that cost I wonder, more than 50 bucks i bet.

Sorry to get off track, I hope you get a good deal on your gun.:)

Zundfolge
February 22, 2011, 09:48 PM
It ISN'T overcharging if people are willingly paying the going rate - it doesn't matter if it is guns, houses, or groceries

This is absolutely true.

However the OP is in Denver and there are many FFLs in the Denver market charging less.

Also I misread the first thread and didn't realize this was an out of state deal ... I'd still go for it and maybe find another FFL to handle the transfer (But even if you pay $50 for the transfer of this piece, the total price is still pretty doggone good).

451 Detonics
February 22, 2011, 09:58 PM
They were a ton of these Model 15s dumped on the retail market at around $220 to 230. I bought a pair of 98% 15-3s for $219 apiece. They have mostly dried up so $189 isn't too bad fora 15-6 that is a little rough looking but a $50 transfer fee is silly. First time I had a gun shipped into my dealer he started to charge me a transfer fee and when I pointed out to him I didn't have to buy ammo from him, powder, bullets, as well as the occasional gun he realized keeping my business was worth more to him than a 20 buck (that's what they charge) transfer fee.

heavyshooter
February 23, 2011, 02:40 AM
I just did a search on Gunbroker and I found a dealer that charges $15. He is less than 10 mins from my house.

451 Detonics
February 23, 2011, 05:47 AM
Time to enter the gun into the books...60 seconds
Time to make the phone call...5 minutes absolute tops (normally under 2 minutes).

6 minutes of work for 50 bucks is $500 per hour...does this sound reasonable? I know some folks are over a barrel and have no choice and have to pay ridiculous transfer fees but if my local dealer did that to me I sure as hell wouldn't buy anything like guns, ammo or accessories from him...and I would let him know that. I owned a brick and mortar gunshop for 20 years and never charged a transfer fee...and most of the guys who had a gun transferred would end up buying ammo, holsters, etc from me and would become good repeat customers.

USSR
February 23, 2011, 06:56 AM
Hmmm, a guy asks about the value of a gun, and all some of you can talk about is the transfer fee?:rolleyes: Any way you slice it, the net cost is $240, which in my mind is a very good price.

Don

Cearbhall
February 23, 2011, 07:01 AM
Here on the Left Coast that would be a screaming deal, and some would consider the seller to be a sucker. I'd buy it in an instant.

MartinS
February 23, 2011, 10:36 AM
Holy Hannah! It's a fair deal, buy it.

bayhawk2
February 23, 2011, 11:35 AM
I got ripped from a dealer here in S/W Texas on gun transfer and
everything else he could get me on.I always said"the best
advertisement is word of mouth,and the worst advertisement
is word of mouth".Businesses that treat their customers right
will have return business.All others will only see unsuspecting
one time customers.

trickyasafox
February 23, 2011, 11:53 AM
transfer fees in my area range from 25-70 bucks. it is very much a regional pricing scheme

rromeo
February 23, 2011, 09:32 PM
I just paid $253.95 out the door for my 10-5 in similar shape. I don't think I overpaid because it's the only S&W that I have seen in this area for less than $300.
The FFL fees in my area tend to run around $25 but back in California the state charges $25 so even if the FFL fee is $25, you're in for $50. More likely the FFL fees are $50-100 plus the state fee.

KingMedicine
February 24, 2011, 02:28 AM
I paid 350.00 for a 15-3 in 97%, and would be happy to pay that for a partner for that great gun...

oldbear
February 24, 2011, 04:49 PM
As you know it's a S&W M-15 38 special. Good solid weapon that should give years of service, and should be perfect for your needs. $50.00 sounds HIGH for the FFL fee see if you can't find an FFL that charges a saner fee.

GO FOR IT!

augustino
February 24, 2011, 11:42 PM
YUP!!
Sure would but like many have said the $50 is stiff, think they need a "TRIGGER JOB" to soften things up a bit.
BUT... If it's in good shape, locks up tight and isn't beat to heck, buy that thing! SW are very reliable revolvers and 38SPL hollow points or even better +P rounds have worked and do work!

Great gun! Good price!

If you don't let me know where it's located...

KJS
February 25, 2011, 05:52 AM
The dealer I go to all the time only charges $15 and does the transfer with a smile.

Clearly not located in Wisconsin where we get to pay $13 to the WI DOJ to double check those who dare buy a handgun. I guess the state suffers from OCD, feeling the need to check yet again after the feds already have.:cuss:

Then those who want a handgun in WI are forced to "cool off" for 48 hours. During that time they'll just have to go on killing spree with a long gun that has no wait, like an AR-15, while waiting for a .22 target pistol. Or they could simply use any of the handguns they already own. The obvious seems to elude legislators.

KJS
February 25, 2011, 06:03 AM
Notice the rub mark on the left side of the trigger near the frame. This revolver has been dry fired a lot, which likely accounts for the smooth action.

You certainly have an eye for detail. But how do you know it's from dry fire and not live fire?

How many trigger pulls would qualify as a lot of dry fire?

Being a relative novice and someone who's never bought a used gun I'm curious.

heavyshooter
February 25, 2011, 01:18 PM
Notice the rub mark on the left side of the trigger near the frame. This revolver has been dry fired a lot, which likely accounts for the smooth action.

You certainly have an eye for detail. But how do you know it's from dry fire and not live fire?

How many trigger pulls would qualify as a lot of dry fire?

Being a relative novice and someone who's never bought a used gun I'm curious.

This question crossed my mind as well. I would be interested in a response.

woad_yurt
February 25, 2011, 07:54 PM
$240's a pretty good price. I'd take it.

roaddog28
February 25, 2011, 08:58 PM
Heavy shooter,

Buy it. The model 15 combat masterpiece is worth $400 in a lot of places. The transfer is high but your getting a great deal on one of the best 38 special revolvers out there.
Good luck,
Howard

p95
February 26, 2011, 01:02 PM
seventy posts----??? has he bought the poor thing yet???

tuckerdog1
February 26, 2011, 05:15 PM
$25 is an appropriate price? I've been getting ripped off. I have used two different dealers and they both charge $50.

My guy charges $10. That's an increase from $6.

Tuckerdog1

motorcycle-charlie
February 26, 2011, 09:25 PM
seventy posts----??? has he bought the poor thing yet???
i second that. whats the good word heavyshooter ? if you didnt get it by now, it is probablly gone.

BlkHawk73
February 26, 2011, 09:30 PM
$50 for a transfer? :eek: Time to find a new dealer!

postalnut25
February 26, 2011, 10:13 PM
Heavy-

If I remember correctly, J&J Enterprises down in Highlands Ranch does $20 transfers. I believe he charges less for military, etc. Maybe you could check him out.

mio
February 27, 2011, 11:08 AM
thats at least a $300 gun around here. and man $50 for a transfer!!!!! ive never seen anyone advertise them for more than $25

ElToro
February 27, 2011, 02:07 PM
if i saw that in PRK i'd have my wallet out lickety split. so answer to your question, yes buy that gun if you need or want a 4 inch .38 that will outlast your grandkids.

in CA, DROS is $25 and CA DOJ is $10 if you buy from the shop or PPT, because thats (allegedly) what the feds and CA charge for each computerized paperwork fee. most shops charge 75 to 100 for a shipped in gun.

savit260
February 27, 2011, 02:56 PM
Are you going to have to pay shipping as well to your home state?

If not this ounds like an o.k. deal to me, but I would inform your local gun shop, that if they charge you $50 for a transfer, that you'll not be giving them any more business after that transaction. No more guns. No more ammo. No more accessories, and you'll pass the word on to every shooter you know how you were treated wrong by them.

heavyshooter
February 27, 2011, 11:36 PM
I found a dealer in Denver that charged $15 and I did purchase the gun. That means I paid $205.00 (before tax) for a weapon that exceeds the intended use. After doing some research I found Model 10's that were significantly more expensive. I was able to get the M15 and its adjustable sights for a steal.

Magnumite
February 27, 2011, 11:38 PM
Cool, heavyshooter. Was there a shipping charge?

captain awesome
February 28, 2011, 12:36 AM
good lord, 50$ For a transfer is ridiculous. Places that do it for 20 are not in short supply , and you can even find it for less if you look and ask around.

heavyshooter
February 28, 2011, 08:29 PM
Was there a shipping charge?

@Magnumite - I purchased a Spingfield XDm40 from the same store about a month ago (BTW - I got a pretty good deal on that as well - $400.00 - The gun looks brand new and he sold me a third magazine for half price because I wanted a box of ammo). I did pay a $50 overnight shipping charge on it and a $50 FFL fee to the Denver store that recieved it. But since I bought another gun so quickly he considers me a regular customer so he did not charge anything to ship the S&W revolver. It's a pretty cool store. It's called Don's Weaponry and it is located in North Little Rock, AR.

heavyshooter
February 28, 2011, 08:40 PM
By the way, they had about ten Smith and Wesson Model 10's and 15's and the triggers on them are excellent. The one I bought has a surprisingly tight lock up. She has holster wear, but another customer bought one while I was there and he went downstairs and fired it; he said it shoots 158 gr. Wadcutters perfectly. He assured me that they were good shooters which is all I want.

The same security firm that is selling the Smiths also put some Tauruses and Rugers on consignment. I'm not a Taurus fan, but the Rugers caught my attention. They were .38 Special GP100's. I did not know the GP100 came in .38. They looked like they were in better shape. It was obvious that they were not carried as much. They were selling them for $229-$259. They had about seven of them as well.

Strykervet
February 28, 2011, 08:54 PM
Yea, $50 is on the higher end of FFL fees. Usually I stay away from the $50 places because I figure they're not actually serious; they just hate people who transfer so much they want to extract a "penalty" from them.
Or they charge so much for their own stock that serious buyers will only use the transfer service!

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you pay $240.00 for this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!