Is there any .38/357 that can match a Ruger SP101?

PDA

gmh1013
February 22, 2011, 03:55 AM
For price and bang for your buck and built like a panzer tank?
S & W cant come close in price....Taurus is hit and miss....:(
If only Colt would bring back the Diamondback.....:banghead:
Its nice to dream about it. But it would be 1500.00 and worth every penny IMHO

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there any .38/357 that can match a Ruger SP101?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
February 22, 2011, 04:06 AM
Trouble is the Diamondback never was a .357....If you want a Colt that is built like a tank and won't break the bank, look for a 2" MK III Lawman. I have one. Even at 2" it is a handful of gun compared to my 2 1/4" SP101.

ArchAngelCD
February 22, 2011, 04:15 AM
Charget Arms (http://www.charterfirearms.com/index.html) is again making a very good product. The prices are lower than Ruger too. You might like something from them.

Sport45
February 22, 2011, 05:15 AM
Dan Wesson? I haven't seen the prices yet, but the used ones have been a real bargain.

critter
February 22, 2011, 06:16 AM
Nope.

samurai
February 22, 2011, 08:30 AM
Nope,+1

Naybor
February 22, 2011, 11:03 AM
Nope, + 2

Iggy
February 22, 2011, 06:11 PM
Dan Wesson

NMGonzo
February 22, 2011, 06:22 PM
nope

Guillermo
February 22, 2011, 06:26 PM
No doubt the SP101 fills a void in the market.

It is the only Ruger that I find interesting.

The only thing that I in that ilk is a used Model 19 but the rarity of the 3 inch would make it more expensive.

Personally I prefer to shoot a heavier gun, especially in 357 so I am happy with the heft of the SP101 but some would mention that as a fault. (I guess they are just tougher than me)

While we laud the SP101 we should mention its weaknesses as well. The trigger is not good out of the box and the billboard is obnoxious. While obviously a personal preference, the factory grip is not good for me...I would prefer Hogue's.

So in the end I agree with your premise. It is a good gun at a good price that fills a void in the market...but it is not perfect

NMGonzo
February 22, 2011, 06:27 PM
No doubt the SP101 fills a void in the market.

It is the only Ruger that I find interesting.

The only thing that I in that ilk is a used Model 19 but the rarity of the 3 inch would make it more expensive.

Personally I prefer to shoot a heavier gun, especially in 357 so I am happy with the heft of the SP101 but some would mention that as a fault. (I guess they are just tougher than me)

While we laud the SP101 we should mention its weaknesses as well. The trigger is not good out of the box and the billboard is obnoxious. While obviously a personal preference, the factory grip is not good for me...I would prefer Hogue's.

So in the end I agree with your premise. It is a good gun at a good price that fills a void in the market.

Would the Alaskan bore you to death?

Guillermo
February 22, 2011, 06:38 PM
Would the Alaskan bore you to death

nope...beat me to death

ColtPythonElite
February 22, 2011, 07:09 PM
The MK II and SP together:

TexasBill
February 22, 2011, 07:47 PM
I prefer my S&W Model 60 but for the dollar, the SP101 is tough to beat. Like Guillermo, I prefer a bit of heft in a Magnum revolver. IMHO, the lightweight Smiths and the LCR .357 are more like self-abuse than self-defense and give a whole new meaning to "cruisin' for a bruisin."

For less than ten bucks, the Wolff Spring Kit for the SP101 can take care of the Ruger's trigger problems. Comparing prices at Bud's Gun Shop, the SP101 and the spring kit would run about $475 plus shipping and transfer fees on the gun. That compares to $601 plus transfer fees for the Model 60.

22-rimfire
February 22, 2011, 07:54 PM
If you want a steel framed 357 snubbie, I think the SP-101 is one of the better choices. I prefer Smith's and Colts, but you pay for them. And yes, I would pay extra for the Smith and I do. I really like the GP-100, but it is a larger framed revolver.

I think you can forget about Colt making a Diamondback again. Diamondbacks are my favorite revolver, but I really like the Model 57 Smith too. The Mark III or Mark V Colt revolvers are very good.

ColtPythonElite
February 22, 2011, 08:08 PM
I like the hunt for Colts. This one was unfired in the box and set me back about the price of a brand new SP.

MIL-DOT
February 22, 2011, 08:10 PM
TexasBill, that's exactly what the SP101 has......a BIT of heft!! :D
But more than enough, IMHO, and yours too, it looks like. Me and a buddy were shooting my 3" SP101 a weekend or two ago,and the recoil from 142 gr. Fiocchi .357's never even came up in conversation. It was a non-issue.
I agree that the 101 has a horrible trigger from the factory, but after consulting the hive here a few months ago, I installed a Wolff 10 lb. spring myself, and now this thing is a sweetie !!!
If you're interested in a small-mid sized .357, especially for the money,the SP101 just can't be beat.

BlindJustice
February 22, 2011, 08:27 PM
I have a S&W MOdel 60-15 3" Bbl. .357 Mag it's only a couple oz. less in
weight but forged steel. Get back to me in 10 years and we'll compared used prices speaking of.

Bang for the buck - get a used S&W 686 for near the same price as
a new SP101

Bang for the Buck 357 NEw? GP100

R-

Sushigaijin
February 22, 2011, 08:33 PM
gp100 is more bang for the buck.

ColtPythonElite
February 22, 2011, 08:35 PM
Yeah, but a GP or 686 is a lot tougher to use as a CCW piece, which I think is what kind of gun the OP was referring to.

788Ham
February 22, 2011, 11:18 PM
Nice Colt, Python!

SaxonPig
February 22, 2011, 11:45 PM
Depends on what you want. I don't care for the Ruger on any level. I find it ugly and clunky looking. Strong? Are they? I've never had any problems with my Colts or Smiths. I think I would prefer the forged frame of a S&W to the investment cast frame on the Ruger. I think people believe the Ruger to be strong because of its bulk. But that's just a necessity of the cast frame.

Ruger owners seem to love their guns. But they don't interest me at all.

Publius1688
February 23, 2011, 12:24 AM
Give me a 586 any day for target shooting and competition. To my way of thinking, a .357 isn't a concealed carry piece---at least for me any way.

oldbear
February 23, 2011, 02:02 AM
For the criteria you set up the Ruger wins hands down, with one exception. That exception would be finding a used shooter grade S&W M-27, or M-28, but neither are CCW weapons.

samurai
February 23, 2011, 08:34 AM
In the larger sized revolvers-4"+, I prefer the S&W(686). In the 357 2" - Ruger SP101. But in the pocket guns-12 oz.- I like the Ruger LCR- to me, it has a smoother trigger.

Uteridge
February 23, 2011, 01:06 PM
I love my Smith and Wesson Model 60 Pro 3" enough that I sold my SP101. They fill the same general use, the Smith is much lighter, and I shoot it more accurately. At market prices the Ruger is probably the best bang for the buck but Smith gives really good Military and Law Enforcement discounts and Ruger does not so I ended up with my 60 for about the same price as I paid for my SP101 which made it a no brainer.

Inhimwelive
February 23, 2011, 01:23 PM
I think your right Rugers are the best deal for the money. But I like S&W's better so I would buy a used one 1st.

Screendmon
February 23, 2011, 08:47 PM
yes, the Taurus 606, it is slightly heavier than the ruger sp101.

JFrame
February 23, 2011, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure I can quantify "bang for the bucks," but I would have to say that my S&W 3" Pro-60 is on my very, VERY short list of handguns I would keep if I could only keep one.

dallascj
February 23, 2011, 10:48 PM
My 3-in Taurus 605 is far superior IMO to my SP101 2-1/4-in barrel. Fit, finish, and, trigger are much better on the Taurus. The better trigger on the Taurus makes it a more accurate shooter for me, as well.

riflenut
February 23, 2011, 11:06 PM
dont get me wrong, i will always own a s&w and colt in my revolver collection.but todays prices on revolvers new are super high! I just purchased a rossi 2" snub 38sp. and i love it .new for 239 is a bargain comes with lifetime warr. I took it to the range fired 1oo rounds with no problems.no its not a smith or colt but it functions fine for the money i spent.

Hondo 60
February 24, 2011, 12:52 AM
New? no, I don't think there's anything that'll match the SP101.

Now if we're talking 20-30 years old or more?
A 2" Model 66 has IMHO a much prettier look & but still isn't built like a tank like the 101

gamestalker
February 24, 2011, 01:20 AM
I own some S&W's, Taurus, Ruger, and a Rossi. I love the precision works of the S&W, but they can be pricy. Can't argue with the strength of the Taurus, but they are rough in just about every aspect except looks. The Ruger is the one I always rely on as my hand load test gun for strength and good accuracy, but the triggers are pretty rough. And Rossi's look pretty nice but they are usually poorly timed and have loose locking cylinders. I'll never buy another one. Charter arms, even though they have taken the company back with recent critics describing their product as much better, I am still skeptical about their workmanship.
All in all, I'll stick with Ruger, S&W, and Taurus, probably in that order.

heavyshooter
February 24, 2011, 01:39 AM
Another Nope

SaxonPig
February 24, 2011, 08:47 AM
Again, the "built like a tank" comment.

The Ruger is big and overly bulky like a tank, but is it really any stronger than a gun with a forged frame? I doubt it. The reason the Ruger is so bulky is because cast isn't as strong as forged so to have equal durability the Ruger must be physically larger.

I would still take a Smith every time.

Guillermo
February 24, 2011, 08:54 AM

while I certainly understand and agree with your position, does that include from S&W's current production?

NMGonzo
February 24, 2011, 09:49 AM
Again, the "built like a tank" comment.

The Ruger is big and overly bulky like a tank, but is it really any stronger than a gun with a forged frame? I doubt it. The reason the Ruger is so bulky is because cast isn't as strong as forged so to have equal durability the Ruger must be physically larger.

Where you get the data to make such claim?

equalizer
February 24, 2011, 09:56 AM
Dan Wesson. They're strong framed, accurate as I can be, can change barrel length, AND I just plain like 'em. :cool:

Uteridge
February 24, 2011, 10:20 AM
If you are going to go with a larger frame 6 shot revolver instead of a smaller 5 shot you can't go wrong with a used Model 19 or 66.

SaxonPig
February 24, 2011, 01:27 PM
What claim is that? Forged is stronger than cast? Common knowledge.

Ask any race engine builder which he prefers, a cast crankshaft or a forged one.

MCgunner
February 24, 2011, 01:54 PM
I have a Taurus 66 3" that I like a lot. It's a tad heavier than my SP101 was, though, and a square butt. The SP101 was easy to carry. The Taurus ain't hard, just a little more lump twixed the belt and skin due to a 6 round K frame sized cylinder. To me, the SP101 is the best carry revolver in .357 for use with full power 357s extant, but that Taurus is a dandy. It's a little easier to shoot, both having Hogues, and it's a little more accurate than the Ruger was. If I didn't have the Taurus, I would be looking to get a 3" SP101. I will not buy a new Smith and Wesson, lock or no. The Ruger is a much better gun for the money than a new Smith IMO. Used ones, if you can find a deal and lockless, I would consider for sure. Nothing wrong with a 2.5" Smith M66 in the IWB role, either, far better IMHO than a J frame, especially a new one and if you can get a round butt on that 66, it's near as concealable and a round more capacity.

Lots of choices, but I really do like the SP101s.

MCgunner
February 24, 2011, 02:01 PM
BTW, the double sided Ruger SP101 frame I'd rank in strength with an L frame Smith any day. It's FAR stronger than a J frame by design. It's stronger due to lack of a side plate. It's strong for the same reason a Blackhawk or a Freedom arms is strong, two sides to bear the load in the frame. Has nothing to do with cast or forged. If I had a M60, it'd mostly get .38s in it and rarely full power .357s. I just wouldn't wanna wear out such an expensive gun. You ain't gonna wear out a SP101. Not only is the frame stronger, the lockwork design is much tighter. It locks at the crane, not a wimpy ball detent at the front of the ejector rod.

Guillermo
February 24, 2011, 02:34 PM
It's stronger due to lack of a side plate.
You are correct that the lack of a side plate is a design advantage

. Has nothing to do with cast or forged.
Of course it does. With your engine experience you are more aware than most of the disadvantages of casting than most people. Ruger makes up for it with extra material and removing the side plate.

griz1
February 24, 2011, 09:01 PM
another nope

Olde School
February 24, 2011, 09:02 PM
I have had S&W K and L frames and Rugers over the years but the SP-101 has been the workhorse of them all. It is built magnum tuff and does not get .38 spl but only a diet of WWB 110 gr. .357 for practice and Remington 125 gr. Golden Saber or Speer Gold Dots for carry. Mine has a Big Dot front sight and Pachmayers with stock springs.:)

scaatylobo
February 24, 2011, 09:17 PM
My not so humble opinion,I own 5 .357's.

2 S&W's and 3 Rugers.

The Rugers are not as slick as the S&W's = BUT they can shoot magnums all day and drive nails at night.

They are heavier and not as smooth,take a bit more practice.

But they sure can take a load of magnums !!.

I had a S&W 640-1 shoot it self out of time with factory ammo,300+ rounds and it went back.

augustino
February 24, 2011, 11:26 PM
Well I'm far from an expert when it comes to revolvers. Fact is there's a lot more revolvers I haven't even held, let alone fired, so please take what I say like a grain of salt. I have a SW 60-15 and have fired it many times since I purchased it. But prior to that buy I held the SP 101 along with the 60-15 at the counter in a local store. The Ruger is fine, real nice but the SW just felt better in my hand. The Ruger was a bit too short in the grip area and I found my pinky finger fell off the grip and a portion of that next finger. The Ruger also was "boxy" next to the SW.
Well I've heard some say that firing 357 rounds out of a 60-15 punishes the shooter. But I guess being used to firing my 45acp and 12 gauge riot shotguns, I'm kind of used to, no I actually like the punch from a heavy caliber firearm. So the 357 isn't beating the heck out of me. But granted when carrying the 60-15 I keep it loaded with 38SPL+P hollow points. But after reading this thread I think I might just start saving for one of those Ruger SP 357 magnums! With the way things are going in this crazy world it makes sense to be able to defend yourself and family these days.

bluetopper
March 21, 2011, 08:57 PM
I believe a Freedom Arms 357 matches up quite well.....and then some, thank you very much.;)

Zebraranger
March 21, 2011, 09:20 PM
Another to consider is the Ruger Security Six or Service six. Just a bit larger than an SP101 and smaller than the GP100. Its a six shooter of 38/357 and its a rugged Ruger. They dont make them anymore, but there are still plenty out there to be had, and still at good prices but they are going up. I have a 4" and a unfired NIB 2-3/4" that I bought a few months back. The Ruger Service Six also was made in a 3" and 4" version.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/zebraranger/Collection/019-1.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/zebraranger/Collection/050-3-2.jpg

frankiestoys
March 21, 2011, 09:43 PM
The Ruger SP101 is one of the best revolvers ever built hands down. If you want a gun that will out last you and doesnt have too be sent back to the factory every 500 or so rds then buy the SP

scotjute
March 22, 2011, 01:39 PM
Just a note on the cast vs. forged aspect. The need for forging really comes into play with a long piece of metal under stress (for example : a sword). A pistol frame (or a rifle receiver) really isn't under so much stress nor is it the long piece of metal such that forging is required, hence you see pistol frames even made out of aluminum and plastic. A good cast steel should more than suffice and it appears that Ruger has over-designed even that with their revolvers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there any .38/357 that can match a Ruger SP101?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!