Locktite the firing pin on SR9C??

PDA

mopar92
February 22, 2011, 10:22 AM
Reputable gun store owner and gunsmith, said locktite the firing pin or it wont float... *** does all that mean?

If you enjoyed reading about "Locktite the firing pin on SR9C??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Olympus
February 22, 2011, 10:47 AM
Never heard anything like that before. I just shoot mine the way it came out of the box. I have a feeling everybody else does too...

Omaha-BeenGlockin
February 22, 2011, 11:56 AM
Apparently not that reputable.

Sounds like a slam-fire waiting to happen.

mopar92
February 22, 2011, 12:40 PM
I think it prevents slam fire in his opinion...

Z-Michigan
February 22, 2011, 12:42 PM
Bizarre. I wouldn't touch it. They work out of the box.

mopar92
February 22, 2011, 01:30 PM
That's pretty strange.

One-Time
February 22, 2011, 01:43 PM
NO! Thats either a slam fire waiting to happen, or a Fail to fire when needed...What a...lets just say, intellectually disabled...person he was

mopar92
February 22, 2011, 03:36 PM
Could it be something else that needs to have loctite?? Not the pin? I googled it and there's talk about loctite on these pistols...

Shadow 7D
February 22, 2011, 03:44 PM
Um, that is a quick way to turn a closed bolt gun into a fixed firing pin (aka OPEN BOLT) type gun, which will have the ATF sniffing up yer skirt. Oh, and it's dangerous as hell.

Are you sure that there isn't a roll pin or screw (like an extractor) that is known to wiggle out and cause malfunctions that he is talking about using Locktight on?

Olympus
February 22, 2011, 04:18 PM
Could it be something else that needs to have loctite?? Not the pin? I googled it and there's talk about loctite on these pistols...

I keep pretty much to date on a variety of forums and tend to pay closer attention to threads regarding guns that I actually own. I haven't seen a single mention of Locktite in regards to the SR9c. Can you possibly post some of the things you found concerning Locktite when you Googled? I'd be interested to see...

OregonJohnny
February 22, 2011, 04:31 PM
Are you sure that there isn't a roll pin or screw (like an extractor) that is known to wiggle out and cause malfunctions that he is talking about using Locktight on?

Well, even though this is in the autoloader forum, I thought I should mention that 2 of my Ruger revolvers have needed locktite on the rear sight pivot pin (not sure if that is the right name for it, it's the pin that holds the adjustable rear sight into the top of the frame). They start to walk themselves out to one side or the other after just a few shots. My Redhawk and Super Blackhawk came from the factory with this problem, my GP100 did not.

Looks like the SR9 doesn't even have the same type of adjustable rear sights as some of the revolvers do, so I don't know what this guy was talking about. But the "walking pin" problem seems to be pretty common on Ruger revolvers.

FullEffect1911
February 22, 2011, 04:31 PM
Whatever you do, DO NOT put loctite (threadlocker or retaining compound) on anything with the firing pin. It will try and freeze the firing pin in one spot which is a really bad idea with any firearm that isn't firing from an open bolt.

mopar92
February 22, 2011, 07:00 PM
Very strange why somebody would advise this, it's gotta be a screw that retains the pin or something...

TX expat
February 22, 2011, 07:25 PM
Either he was talking about something different and you got confused or you need a new gunsmith...

If you enjoyed reading about "Locktite the firing pin on SR9C??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!