GUNS - Great investments!

PDA

BP Hunter
February 22, 2011, 11:43 AM
I am glad that I had a good gun collection. I thought I would never sell some of them, but this time I had to. Mom needed money and I was willing to help. Yes, it hurt, as much as a woman would sell her jewelry, but they had to go..but will soon be replaced once this money dilemna is over.

A few weeks ago, I had to come up with some money to help my mom. I decided to sell some of my handguns. I was actually quite desperate not knowing how to sell them. Anyway, it was a good thing that I had a friend at work who were shooters. I sent him an email of 4 of the guns I was selling - Sig P220 carry, CZ75B 9mm, Stoeger Cougar .40 and either the Glock 19 or XD9. He sent that email to his friend. The next day, I sold my Sig P220 and CZ to his friend. On that day, I sold my Glock 19 to another buddy. The following week, a friend heard that I was selling and he bought my XD. Then yesterday, the sme guy who cought the CZ and Sig bought by Stoeger. All in all, I raised $2,100!

Next year, they will slowly be replaced.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "GUNS - Great investments!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
docnyt
February 22, 2011, 11:52 AM
Ouch. But family comes first.

Guns are replaceable. Sometimes its a good excuse to get a better one.

kingpin008
February 22, 2011, 11:56 AM
Not to burst your bubble, but that's not really an investment - more like liquidating assets. Investments gain value over time. Assuming a conservative price of $500 new for each of those guns, you pretty much broke even.

I mean, it's great that they could provide some much needed cash in a hurry, but like I said, that's not what I'd call an investment...

SuperNaut
February 22, 2011, 11:56 AM
I'm glad you were able to help your Mom but consider this:

Sig P220 = $900+
CZ75B = $400+
Stoeger Cougar $~400
Glock 19 = $400+
XD9 = $500+

At retail you would have paid well over $2600 for these guns that you sold at a loss. Sorry to be a wet blanket but I'm not seeing that as a great investment strategy.

stonecutter2
February 22, 2011, 12:01 PM
They retain their value a whole lot better than cars.

txhoghunter
February 22, 2011, 12:01 PM
$2600-$2100=$500....duh

Yes, he did not get the amount back that he probably bought them for, but he got more money back than he would have by, say, selling them to a pawn shop. Only losing about $500 while selling 5 *used* guns is a very good IMO.

kingpin008
February 22, 2011, 12:03 PM
Yes, he did not get the amount back that he probably bought them for, but he got more money back than he would have by, say, selling them to a pawn shop. Only losing about $500 while selling 5 *used* guns is a very good IMO.

You're right, it's great for selling used. But it's also not an investment.

In fact, in terms of investments, guns are actually pretty poor performers. Much better to get into gold or silver, if you're into that sort of thing.

Justin
February 22, 2011, 12:16 PM
You know, I wonder if there are finance and investment related forums out there where people start threads to the effect of "What stock certificate should I use to defend my home with?" and "What index fund should I use for concealed carry?"

txhoghunter
February 22, 2011, 12:20 PM
A gun is an "investment" to defend your life with

rellascout
February 22, 2011, 12:29 PM
Horrible investment. If you have taken that same money and put in a real investment like gold, silver or even the stock market by dollar cost averaging you could have sold the principle and still had $$$.

99% of guns even the ones that go up in value are bad investments. Take the gain adjust for inflation and you will find that most of the time you are lucky if you are breaking even.

Yes there will be times when you luck into a great deal and make some quick cash but that is the exception not the rule. IMHO

BP Hunter
February 22, 2011, 12:30 PM
You're right. They are not gret investments since they do not appreciate in time, but they were very good liqudating assets.

Sig P220
original cost ~ $750
sold for - $600

CZ75B
original cost ~ $480
sold for - $400

Glock 19
original cost ~ $480
sold for - $400

XD9
orginal cost ~ $480
sold for $400

Stoeger Cougar .40
original cost - $399
sold for - $300

Helping mom - priceless:D

towboat_er
February 22, 2011, 12:30 PM
Wish I had bought more sks's at around $100 a few years back. Would have been a good investment.
I bought a Makarov 15 years ago and its worth quite a bit more now.
Some guns are good investments.

The Lone Haranguer
February 22, 2011, 12:33 PM
In TLH's Great Gun Liquidation Selloff of 2008-09, I more than doubled - almost tripled in one case - my money on some of them, but barely broke even on others. So I would not call them investments. In fact, had I put what I paid for them originally into, say, a CD or other investment, or a savings account for that matter, I would have been financially better off. :uhoh: But that wouldn't have been any fun. ;)

rellascout
February 22, 2011, 12:36 PM
In TLH's Great Gun Liquidation Selloff of 2008-09, I more than doubled - almost tripled in one case - my money on some of them, but barely broke even on others. So I would not call them investments. In fact, had I put what I paid for them originally into, say, a CD or other investment, or a savings account for that matter, I would have been financially better off. But that wouldn't have been any fun.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

rellascout
February 22, 2011, 12:37 PM
Wish I had bought more sks's at around $100 a few years back. Would have been a good investment.
Some guns are good investments

Run the numbers and factor for inflation. Run that against something with compounding insterest. I bet you will find even an S&P 500 fund would have beat your rate of return.

rellascout
February 22, 2011, 12:39 PM
Some guns are good investments

How long did it take you to double your money?

rocinante
February 22, 2011, 12:52 PM
I did the same thing, raised about the same dollars, except I plowed it all back into different guns. I sold 6 guns, 1 scope transformed into 5 guns, 1 scope, 1k of ammo and accessories. I just about broke even but have different stuff that suits my current mood. If I was rich I would never ever give up a gun and right now am feeling some remorse over the dearly departed.

I agree more with the folks claiming they are liquid assets more than investments but not totally. Lots of guys make money on buying and trading and holding on to stuff until they become more rare. For instance one of the guns I initially put up for sale is a pristine S&W 29. I posted a reasonable price and had multiple request. I decided to hang onto it since I know I would never replace it at the price I got it. I bought a couple 3rd gen S&W because I think long term their quality stainless steel guns will become desirable in a plastic gun world. I wish I have bought more than one saiga rifle at 240 shipped when they are selling close to 400 now. Ammo? legions of examples.

Another factor is the feds with a pen stroke artifically and astronomically inflating the value of certain arms. I have a buddy that has 5 full autos he bought before 86. Some like the mac and uzi he paid less than 500 for. Probably worth 15 to 20 times that now. I am afraid now they are going to turn my saiga 12 into a collectible. That's best case.

frankenstein406
February 22, 2011, 01:39 PM
Gold silver, is better but where's the fun in that. At least a gun I can shoot and still easily sell.

teumessian_fox
February 22, 2011, 04:43 PM
BP, your guns were a good investment in that you were able to liquidate "your holdings" to get immediate cash. Imagine if you had been holding onto a "real investment" like a single family home in the $100,000 range.

I'm glad it worked out for you. I, too, once liquidated a gun collection in an emergency situation. Stuff happens.

My guess is that you, like me, will get all those (models, etc) guns, and more, back.

brotus2
February 22, 2011, 05:45 PM
Like you said BP - helping Mom: Priceless.

Gordon_Freeman
February 22, 2011, 06:45 PM
You should have at least three months worth of income saved up for emergencies. If you plan on having a decent retirement, you will have a lot more than 3 months. What if you lost your job? I certainly would not have to sell any of my guns for several years. I don't mean to sound like an a##hole, but it's something we should think about.

IMTHDUKE
February 22, 2011, 07:25 PM
It's an investment for your family that did not pay for them, but you gave them the $. You do what you have to do...most who are gun people would do the same in hard times.

BP Hunter
February 22, 2011, 07:30 PM
I'm amazed at people who don't have an emergency fund. You should have at least three months worth of income saved up for emergencies. If you plan on having a decent retirement, you will have a lot more than 3 months. What if you lost your job? I certainly would not have to sell any of my guns for several years. I don't mean to sound like an a##hole, but it's something we should think about.

Oh, we have saved for emergencies and can last years if I lost my job. My wife is a good money keeper. Would you beleive, I receive an allowance from her. It's a good sum. Anything I need to spend beyond that allowance, I "pay" for it. I don't like touchng the savings in these instances. Since I could "afford" to lose these "toys", I decided to sell them rather than touching the savings.

As teumessian_fox has added, "we will get all those guns and more back".:D

SlamFire1
February 22, 2011, 08:05 PM
Bud of mine clearanced his gun collection. Told me he sold $39,000 worth of guns on Gunbroker.

Said match rifles, did not sell well.

Anything Mil Spec, sold real well.

22-rimfire
February 22, 2011, 11:36 PM
What the guns did for you was a reserve that was outside the current savings realm which allowed you to do what you did without impacting your family. It impacted YOU, but not the family. Considering everything, I think you did real well at $3900. I probably couldn't have accomplished what you did even with two or three times the amount of time to do it. If you feel good, it's good.

For me, firearms are generally a poor investment. But they are a way to hoard some "capital" that is at least keeping up with inflation.

ljnowell
February 23, 2011, 12:57 AM
Good job taking care of your mom when she needed it. It blows me away when I see children that are unwilling to sacrifice for thier parents, when parents give so much for the children.

oldbear
February 23, 2011, 01:35 AM
BPHunter, that was a GREAT thing for you to do!!!:)

pharmer
February 23, 2011, 09:21 PM
A couple years back I had a buddy who was dying. He had 7 long guns, mostly lower end, and a .380 Beretta. I told him they were worth about $2300. He had a dealer offer $1000 for all of them. I took him and the guns down to the Lakeland show and sold the lot for $1900 in one afternoon. Last good time we had together. Never thought of guns as an investment. Joe

btg3
February 24, 2011, 08:21 AM
"Collectible" firearms might possbily pass for investments. Overall, new firearms fare the worst with regard to value retention.

A general rule for the financially prudent is that while it's okay to buy APPRECIATING assets new, any DEPRECIATING assets should be bought used. At THR there are many advocates for buying good used guns -- for good reason.

clamman
February 24, 2011, 08:29 AM
This thread makes me sick. The guy helped his MOTHER out and some of you are bashing him about his "investment?" He should be applauded for his actions! Either pat him on the back for what he did, or LEAVE HIM ALONE!!

Ala Dan
February 24, 2011, 09:07 AM
Its nice to help mom out in a time of need; but selling off your guns :eek:,
I don't know that I could do it :scrutiny:; as I would have too find other means
of helping mom out~! ;)

BP Hunter
February 24, 2011, 11:34 AM
Clamman,

This thread makes me sick. The guy helped his MOTHER out and some of you are bashing him about his "investment?" He should be applauded for his actions! Either pat him on the back for what he did, or LEAVE HIM ALONE!!

Thanks for covering my back, man. But nobody CAN disdain me for my actions. I am happy about myself for helping my mom.

I am already constantly on the internet looking for my replacements and new ones.:D:p Hmmm...next stop budsgunshop dot com;)

phoglund
February 24, 2011, 11:47 AM
Good job helpin' out your Mom!

The other side of guns is while you have them you get some utility (shooting fun) out of them outside their investment value, something gold/silver/stocks etc. don't give you.

You enjoyed those guns, had an opportunity to learn about them and now have a better idea what you would like to have to replace them. All in all I'd say you came out ahead even before you factor in the smile on your mother's face!

If you enjoyed reading about "GUNS - Great investments!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!