Shooting to kill "exceeded the right to self defence"

PDA

BigRugerLover
February 22, 2011, 02:28 PM
And we thought we had it bad in the US. This is what the CIA guy (Davis) is dealing with in Pakistan:

Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah says the weapon carried by Haider wasn't loaded and thus Davis has no right to claim self-defense.

The Lahore Police Chief Aslam Tarin in a news conference said...Davis exceeded the right to self-defense by shooting to kill.

The police report said "there was not a single bullet loaded in the chambers of either of the two slain people -- Faizan Haider and Fahim Shamshaad. Rather all bullets were in magazines."

Reuters, Feb 22, 2011, "Factbox: What did CIA contractor Davis do in Pakistan's Lahore"

+BRL

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting to kill "exceeded the right to self defence"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline
February 22, 2011, 03:00 PM
It's an unusual situation, but I have no doubt that any American in a foreign nation will face similar levels of hostility and perverted justice in a self defense killing, from Pakistan to Russia to the UK. It's something to bear in mind. Folks *HATE* Americans and think we're all a bunch of trigger-happy cowboys. Stay out of trouble, and stay out of Pakistan.

Old Fuff
February 22, 2011, 03:11 PM
I suspect that as we withdraw our military - and money - this sort of thing will happen again. Clearly Mr. Davis had no opportunity to inspect the chambers carried in weapons being used by those that were attacking him. One can only wonder what the finding would have been if it had been a local policeman rather then Davis... :fire:

Pakistan loves our money much more then they do us... perhaps a substantial bribe might be necessary, or maybe one of those drones might fly off course. :evil:

USAF_Vet
February 22, 2011, 03:17 PM
Apparently, one must be shot at first before responding in kind. Lame. Of course, they could have just doctored the evidence to make Davis look guilty.

Vermonter
February 22, 2011, 04:30 PM
Shoot to stop

withdrawn34
February 22, 2011, 04:31 PM
Thank God I had the good fortune to be born and raised in this country.

Shadow 7D
February 22, 2011, 04:57 PM
Hmm
An EVEN bigger issue is, say diplomatic immunity, his was not waived and he was INTERROGATED after invoking it, and DEIGNED contact with the embassy (something that is guaranteed everybody, everywhere under treaties)

So we know that Pakistan isn't abiding the law laid out and signed by them, I say just cut the place off and let the militants play havoc there, convince them that Pakis are easy targets, then India invades to 'secure nuclear weapons from possible theft'
Or al queda does get their hands on nukes (which they were working with Pakistans 'Hero' to get)

So once the government realizes that playing the same old card just gets them thrown to the lions, maybe the will remember what comes with the millions of dollars and hundreds of American lives.

Proper course, if the believe him to be a spy is to take him to the nearest airport and eject him. Or say take him to the Afghanistan boarder and do the same....

GambJoe
February 22, 2011, 06:53 PM
I'll ask the obvious.

What if this was a Pakistani in the US?

GRIZ22
February 22, 2011, 08:31 PM
An EVEN bigger issue is, say diplomatic immunity,

What did CIA contractor Davis do in Pakistan's Lahore"

This guy is a CIA contractor and wouldn't have diplomatic immunity.

Sam1911
February 22, 2011, 08:36 PM
Yes, it is good to live where the law generally recognizes reasonable justifications for self-defense, and where justice is rarely so blatantly skewed by politics.

rbernie
February 22, 2011, 08:36 PM
Sadly, this discussion is more about politics than the actual legal self defense statutes in Pakistan. If anyone can convince me that they can offer material and substantive content to this thread, then I will reopen it. Until then, it's closed as off topic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting to kill "exceeded the right to self defence"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!